• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Sony make a new portable to service the 3DS market Nintendo is leaving behind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Vita wasn't that successful, but maybe in part because the 3DS was such a strong contender. If Nintendo intends for the Switch to replace the 3DS then they are leaving a portion of their market behind:

-Consumers who want pocket portability. The Switch is too big.
-Consumers who want lower game prices. A jump from $30-40 3DS games to $50-60 Switch games.
-Families who need multiple consoles. 3DS didn't even get popular until it dropped to $169. Does Nintendo think most people will buy multiple $300 Switches for their kids?

If Sony released a Vita successor for $200 next year, that's powerful enough to get some of the Switch ports(and some PS4 ports) as well as continue to get the same type of support the Vita did with third parties and indies, then it could do very well I think.

rtcn63

People who bought the 3DS did so mostly for the first-party titles. Otherwise they'd just be playing on their phones.

entremet

Been there. Done that. Sony would be suicidal to try again.

Pocket portability isn't that important. People love bigger tablet form factors.

Balb

If they could secure Monster Hunter...maybe? Otherwise they don't really have a chance in the market.

kadotsu

Banned
The mobile Fate game has probably made more profit for Sony than the whole Vita project, so my guess is they will continue in that direction.

Guevara

I'd like nothing more than a cheap, small handheld to play mostly 2D indie games, but I recognize there isn't enough of a market.

But yeah, a PSN-boy, or whatever, would be a nice niche. Doens't have to be Sony, obviously. A steam-boy would be even better.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wait for Pokemon Stars announcement this summer before you claim Nintendo is leaving the portable space.

Glix

I doubt it. The Vita is still awesome and still gets new software. I have two, one for regular stuff and one for Henkaku. Its one of my favorite systems ever and it still holds up.

Remote play is great.

JCX

Switch looks more like a Vita successor than a 3DS one right now. The Japanese third parties who supported Vita will move to Switch anyway, as we see by SE's choice not to localize I Am Setsuna on Vita, but they did for Switch.

nukedeggs

lol I can't see Sony pulling this off ever hah I think they built up too much bad will from the Vita. Plus they don't have the first party chops of Nintendo.

Whatever handheld (or hybrid) plays the next pokemon game will win the handheld console war. It's as simple as that really.

Playstation are closing devs at the moment, like Guerilla Games Cambridge etc... so if anything they are winding down their handheld business not looking to start a new one

muteki

I really don't think Sony gives a shit about handheld gaming, let alone supporting a handheld device...

I'd say the Japan side of Sony probably does, to some extent. Elsewhere though it always seemed like the western branches were being put out having to sell it.

-Consumers who want pocket portability. The Switch is too big.

I'll give you the other porints, but I don't think the Vita was too "poket portable". The device was already large and the exposed screen meant a case is practically required if you don't want scratches. I'd imagine most people kept it in a bag, which they could also do with Switch.

Bowl0l

It's easy for Sony to pickup where the Switch left. A $200 handheld which supports sdcard and they have a winner.

borges

Banned
Indeed, maybe there is market for that consumer segment. I mean, low cost (149 - 199) handhelds. The thing is: at that pricepoint, probably any decent mobile phone will be more powerful, and makes no sense to pay for a second, less powerful device.

ModBot 2

Not a Mod, just a bot.
It's Switch Conference Night!

We know you are very excited, and lots of news and announcements are taking place, but it's important that we be able to manage the flow of information here so people can quickly and easily see what's going on. As a result, we are locking threads for the following reasons:

- Thread is a duplicate of another thread. Don't worry, enough people will make threads about any announcement that you don't have to!
- Thread is missing key information in the OP. It's OK to wait a few seconds before making a thread if it means that you will have a clearer title and original post.
- Thread is a "5 second reaction". You have a lot of feelings built up about the Switch. That's OK. But you don't need to make a thread for every idle thought about what was not shown, or who was there, or if you think Nintendo will be bankrupt or victorious. You can discuss all of these things in relevant threads, or wait a little while until things slow down a bit.
- Thread is "Where was <Game X>?" We don't know. No one knows. If we knew, there'd be a thread about it.
- Fanfiction. Remember that a few years from now when you make a thread for dating advice, this will be in your thread creation history.
- Bumped an old thread. Wow you really owned the person who was wrong!!!!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom