• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They deleted the patch notes, guess that dude isn't from Valve?

valeo

Was hilarious when the map first came out and people didn't know you could go in them - camped in there on an eco round, waited for them to rush out to save guns and defused.

Few rounds later we all camped it with negevs; popped out at the same time and tore them to pieces.

TheSeks

- Removed a portapotty at back of B

WHAT THE FARK.

This is an outrage. This is my clans main tactic.

There's still one. There were two. I don't get the outrage over this. You can still hide there, just now you can't put your entire team in two.

Also they have made MORE pop-ups. I don't need the stupid "B to buy. E to plant. FIND THE BOMB!" tooltips. :/ You'd think they wouldn't do this given how much complaining there was about the bomb planting tool tip (that has become useful due to knowing the arming time now) but geez...

As I say that they update the game again and now E includes buying (good) in the buy period but then you get a pop-up when attempting to defuse the bomb in some sites with "THE BUY PERIOD HAS ENDED" (bad). :/

As I say that they update the game again and now E includes buying (good) in the buy period but then you get a pop-up when attempting to defuse the bomb in some sites with "THE BUY PERIOD HAS ENDED" (bad). :/
That's why I turned off E to buy. Honestly it was more of a hassle with it on than just hitting B is (which is to say that pressing B isn't a hassle at all to begin with).

TheSeks

That's why I turned off E to buy. Honestly it was more of a hassle with it on than just hitting B is (which is to say that pressing B isn't a hassle at all to begin with).

Honestly, I can't recall if it was a default before these two updates. I use B to buy like you, so it's surprising to see it changed if it was changed with this patch. If not, it must've reverted keybinds back to defaults or something. Really weird update after an update.

Honestly, I can't recall if it was a default before these two updates. I use B to buy like you, so it's surprising to see it changed if it was changed with this patch. If not, it must've reverted keybinds back to defaults or something. Really weird update after an update.
If it makes you feel better, you could toss "cl_use_opens_buy_menu 0" into your autoexec file and not have to worry about it in the future.

feel

I buy with E and the mouse, so I don't have to move my hands at all from their default position in between rounds. Super comfy that way for me, I'm too used to it now.

Good update, tons of nice little fixes and tweaks.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
-- Made climbing thing in playground more solid
lol

Nice patch. Gonna try out Overpass and see how different it plays.

My map votes go to Agency, Cache, Downtown, Favela, Motel, and Thunder. Agency can be brutal but I love it; Cache actually feels and plays competitive; Favela was fun to fuck around on; Motel was hilarious to fuck around on; and Thunder I enjoyed, simple as that.

The other maps either 1) weren't bad but didn't blow me away (Ali, Chinatown, Museum, Seaside, Siege), 2) had weird layouts (Ruins, Gwalior), or 3) were Library* (Library).

*disclaimer: running around Library with Negevs and firebombs was, admittedly, a lot of fun. What was not fun was people voting to play the map five times in a row.

Now then, Valve. Let's see Print in the next Operation!

So, I was playing some competitive solo. Long story short, I wasn't doing so well. It was 11 to 5 and I'd be the last one living for quite a few of the matches but would get shot down pretty quickly because it'd be 1v3+, usually. Anyway, my teammates said "We aren't gonna win. Let's just make bad plays and surrender," then another guy said, "Let's kick the person doing the worst and then surrender."

Obviously that was me, and I was kicked. What was the point of doing that? Were they just being mean and denying me a possible drop or something? Or is there a legitimate reason for doing that? I admit I was doing pretty badly, but it's not like my teammates were a gift from the heavens, either. The enemy would usually be on the side I wasn't defending (with another guy) and then by the time I'd try to help, all my teammates would be dead. I do get anxiety from being the last one alive in this game, honestly. I did my best but I just got rocked repeatedly.

Anyway, the kick kind of hurt because it just cemented how awful I've been at this today :( I get the basics and what I should do (short burst fire, headshots, etc), but then the time comes and I just fucking fail due to nerves and actual terribleness. And then people seem to magically kill you in one second in the same fashion you've been trying to kill them for the last five seconds (long range pistol corner peeking). It's so demoralizing.

So, I was playing some competitive solo. Long story short, I wasn't doing so well. It was 11 to 5 and I'd be the last one living for quite a few of the matches but would get shot down pretty quickly because it'd be 1v3+, usually. Anyway, my teammates said "We aren't gonna win. Let's just make bad plays and surrender," then another guy said, "Let's kick the person doing the worst and then surrender."

Obviously that was me, and I was kicked. What was the point of doing that? Were they just being mean and denying me a possible drop or something? Or is there a legitimate reason for doing that? I admit I was doing pretty badly, but it's not like my teammates were a gift from the heavens, either. The enemy would usually be on the side I wasn't defending (with another guy) and then by the time I'd try to help, all my teammates would be dead. I do get anxiety from being the last one alive in this game, honestly. I did my best but I just got rocked repeatedly.

Anyway, the kick kind of hurt because it just cemented how awful I've been at this today :( I get the basics and what I should do (short burst fire, headshots, etc), but then the time comes and I just fucking fail due to nerves and actual terribleness. And then people seem to magically kill you in one second in the same fashion you've been trying to kill them for the last five seconds (long range pistol corner peeking). It's so demoralizing.
If it makes you feel any better, I've been in the same position before. Honestly I would say to do offline bot practice and work on firing at/killing the bots as quickly as possible after you see them. Even after doing that for an hour or so for just a couple of days my reaction time had improved quite a bit.

Futzing with my sensitivity has helped too. I used to have Windows' sensitivity set to one notch from max, and GO's was at 6 or 7. It was zippy as all get out, but for finer movements it was horrible. Now I have it at the middle in Windows and 3 in GO and I'm doing much better. I'm coming out with at least even K/D ratios more often now and with a ton of assists if I have a negative one. I still run into those guys who totally outmatch me though, there are just a little less of them than there were before.

You can add me if you want a fellow newbie to learn with. :)

Don't know why they would do that. Unless they have patched it since the last time I played, you cannot surrender after kicking a player. You can only surrender when a person leaves or disconnects, and only then after the reconnect timer has run out, or if the person rejects the reconnect option himself before the timer runs out.

cheezcake

OUUla7b.jpg

That matchmaking. And here I am sitting with my 2 gold stars. Didn't even come last, Volvo pls update me to master guardian

<snip>

Unfortunately, competitive is a mixed bag. Don't take anyone too personally, because CS has always been full of jerks. Many of them have no clue what they're talking about.

As per the situation you are in, it's difficult to do well when the Ts are always going to the other bombsite, and taking it with ease. By the time you can transfer, they've already set up in good cross-fire spots and know exactly where you're coming from. At that point, you'd have to be magical to do a 1v3 retake (or they would be silly and do poor peaking or play aggressively).

I hit this all the time on Dust2 when I'm covering b. Playing a 3-1-1, you're stuck with trying to make up for a group that can't hold down their site for whatever reason...they get close to 1:1 kdr because they have the advantage, but you're always playing at a disadvantage.

Just work on burst fire, controlled sprays, and retaking sites effectively...that's all you can ask for. If you get kicked, don't worry about it. If you're playing like shit, don't worry about it. Everyone has bad days, or bad matches, or bad halves.

Four or so times just this week I went 0and7 or 1and9 first half to then end at a 3:2 or 4:3 KDR at the end of the match. Just keep at it. If you really get demoralized by your teammates, try to add people that are nice when you solo and then group up with them afterwards.

Clydefrog

Sounds like you were just playing with dicks. having said that... haha, you suck!

KiKaL

So I lowered my mouse sensitivity after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02zKnMmIt4 and feel like I just destroyed my aim after playing with it for a few hours. I lowered my sensitivity to 2 from 4 but kept my DPI to 800. It seems most of the pros play even lower than that. Is this really the case or am I just completely misunderstanding what they are saying. Their sensitivities are so low. I get that this isn't really a twitch shooter but it still seems like you would want something more sensitive than what they use.

I am now at the point where I feel equally bad at my original settings and the new ones. I feel like I should tough it out but it just feels so wrong at the same time.

soultron

Banned
Are you still pivoting on your wrist a lot? I found that when I lowered my settings, I had to do a lot of "pick up the mouse and move it" after large sweeping motions like 90* or 180* turns.

A 180* basically takes up the width of my mouse mat right now.

If you put in several hours, you might find that you're more likely to pull of HSs. I found that, but I also find that my close quarters reactions are really bad since I can't turn and track close targets fast enough anymore.

KiKaL

Yeah the close quarters is definitely my experience as well.

As of now I can turn probably 90* each way without moving my wrist. If I bump it down to 400dpi like a lot of the pros then I really need to constantly pick up my mouse.

Well looks like I will keep working on it since it seems like it will eventually pay off. Just going to stay away from competitive for a bit and not take things to seriously until it feels right again.

KingKong

Unfortunately, competitive is a mixed bag. Don't take anyone too personally, because CS has always been full of jerks. Many of them have no clue what they're talking about.

yeah this, people talk about how toxic the Dota community is but it's nothing compared to CS. I can't even count the number of times I've had people complain about hackers when they're losing badly

play in casual and demo for a while until you get more comfortable with lower sensitivity. That helped my game become much more consistent. I pick up my mouse all the time now when I play, but it really helps get those twitch shots for me.

soultron

Banned
We have enough players in the thread to have group up and have some comp games together. 21 Members in the GafGroup should be enough for people to find a squad to play comp with.
I'd love to play casual if anyone's up for it. I'm pretty shit at CS and have an unstable connection (playing over wifi... not by choice) so consider yourself forewarned.

I'm pretty laid back though, so I won't get upset if you miss that 360 flickshot noscope with your rocket launcher.

I think most pros use 900-1300 sensitivity (DPI X in-game, windows 6/11). I use 1170. At first it was really slow but once you get used to it your accuracy improves dramatically. They key is to pre-aim around corners and stay very relaxed.

I'd love to play casual if anyone's up for it. I'm pretty shit at CS and have an unstable connection (playing over wifi... not by choice) so consider yourself forewarned.

I'm pretty laid back though, so I won't get upset if you miss that 360 flickshot noscope with your rocket launcher.

living in Bellevue is great. I get 5 ping on over 70% of my competitive matches.

^related to nekro's post
This is probably the best video for beginners to step up their game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mvXfnY8wU

If it makes you feel any better, I've been in the same position before. Honestly I would say to do offline bot practice and work on firing at/killing the bots as quickly as possible after you see them. Even after doing that for an hour or so for just a couple of days my reaction time had improved quite a bit.

You can add me if you want a fellow newbie to learn with. :)
Yeah, I'll be practicing burst fire and headshots with bots for sure.

I'll add you. Same name as on GAF.

Don't know why they would do that. Unless they have patched it since the last time I played, you cannot surrender after kicking a player. You can only surrender when a person leaves or disconnects, and only then after the reconnect timer has run out, or if the person rejects the reconnect option himself before the timer runs out.
I was told a while ago that it was in order for them to be able to surrender, so maybe it was changed? I don't experience kicks/surrenders much to know, honetly.

I hit this all the time on Dust2 when I'm covering b. Playing a 3-1-1, you're stuck with trying to make up for a group that can't hold down their site for whatever reason...they get close to 1:1 kdr because they have the advantage, but you're always playing at a disadvantage.

Just work on burst fire, controlled sprays, and retaking sites effectively...that's all you can ask for. If you get kicked, don't worry about it. If you're playing like shit, don't worry about it. Everyone has bad days, or bad matches, or bad halves.
I've had the good fortune of playing most of my competitive matches with a friend, yet I'm very aware of how much of a mixed bag it can be. It's basically a roller coaster ride, except the lows aren't as fun. There are gems even with bad games, though, like the time a guy lost his shit over mic on Inferno because I smoked A, obscuring the vision of three people. He called me a fucking idiot, etc, and initiated a vote kick..

...I was on B. I don't even know how he thought it was me. I didn't get kicked because everyone knew he was in the wrong.

Sounds like you were just playing with dicks. having said that... haha, you suck!
Dammit, clyde, you know just how to make a guy turn to putty
r8CRQPH.gif

I played with bots until I felt like I understood how guns worked before I even tried matchmaking.

I'm not feeling the M4A4 at all anymore. Not as accurate or reliable as the M4A1, not as powerful as the AK.

Uiki

So I lowered my mouse sensitivity after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d02zKnMmIt4 and feel like I just destroyed my aim after playing with it for a few hours. I lowered my sensitivity to 2 from 4 but kept my DPI to 800. It seems most of the pros play even lower than that. Is this really the case or am I just completely misunderstanding what they are saying. Their sensitivities are so low. I get that this isn't really a twitch shooter but it still seems like you would want something more sensitive than what they use.

I am now at the point where I feel equally bad at my original settings and the new ones. I feel like I should tough it out but it just feels so wrong at the same time.

I can help you with that. I'm messing with my sensitivity all the time.. which is bad >_<

First of all, sensitivity is personal. Don't change it based on some pro's video. The golden rule is to not go over 1500 (DPI x sensitivity). F0rest is one of the most brilliant aimers and he plays at 400x3.5.

To get used to a different mouse or a different sensitivity I use this map http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125750763&searchtext=aim_warmup

Open the notepad and past this

sv_cheats 1
bot_kick
mp_autoteambalance 0
mp_limitteams 0
mp_startmoney 10000
mp_round_restart_delay 0
mp_buytime 3600
mp_freezetime 2
mp_do_warmup_offine 1
mp_do_warmup_period 1
mp_warmuptime 3600
bot_join_after_player 1
bot_quota 19
bot_join_team CT
sv_infinite_ammo 1
godmp_restartgame 1
bot_dont_shoot 1
bot_knives_only
give weapon_ak47

Save it as bot.cfg and place it in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg

Load the map, open the console and type exec bot.cfg

Bots will just stand or move slowly without shooting you. You just have to focus on do 1-2 taps with an ak. Move between shoots as quickly as possible, never spray.
If you do it for like 10/15 min you start to get used to the new sensitivity much faster than a normal deathmatch with bots.

You can also use that cfg on normal maps to pratice holding sites or angles on maps. Works awesome on dust 2 A site.

soultron

Banned
That one video from adreN (how to move around corners) that someone linked was super helpful. I get blindsided less moving around corners now. He makes really good gamesense points about when to line up to peek and/or prefire and when to snap your crosshair to the corner when moving around it. Really helps!

soultron

Banned
Tried checking out what this streaming thing is about. Watched some kid called "Maverick" on Twitch.

"I'm gonna go yolo deagle this round.

I'm so fresh you can suck my nuts. Swag."

/closes tab

KiKaL

Awesome, thanks Uiki. That config will be helpful.

Oddly enough after I posted about having issues I went home and played and for once the sensitivity felt right. I warmed up a bit and hopped in a MM game and lead my team in kills. I really don't know why it felt so much better out of the blue. Maybe just taking a few days off helped "reset" me hah.

TheSeks

Tried checking out what this streaming thing is about. Watched some kid called "Maverick" on Twitch.

"I'm gonna go yolo deagle this round.

I'm so fresh you can suck my nuts. Swag."

/closes tab

Your first mistake was watching Twitch. GOTV or bust.

chessnut

man, one thing I really miss about 1.6 was the custom maps servers. crazytank, starwars, ka_roadwars, and helms_deep to name a few. Surf, jailbreak, and zombies have never appealed to me and I'm really itching for something to play outside of scrims

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom