• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.
QSbD2.gif

I know what ESEA is

It's really funny when you mock people who are trying to help you. Truly hilarious.

Game doesn't run very well in OSX. I only have a mid 09 mbp (2.8 core 2 / 9600gt) but it should definitely be able to run it on decent settings. There's a "jitter" it just can't get over. It'll be getting 60-100fps for a few moments and every second or two it spikes down to 10-15 for a split second, even if you're standing still starting at the sky/ground without moving. Can always boot up Windows though.

Xero

So I was never a fan of the competitive nature of CS:S. The way some people obsessively memorize the maps and the hitbox locations didn't make the game fun for me.

Is this version going to be worth it for me or more of the same?

you can still have a great time without being competitive, however counter-strike will always be a pretty hardcore skill based fps, so their will always be a disparity between noobies and regulars that is rather large. So if you have a hard time enjoying yourself, if you aren't getting a whole lot of kills, probably best to skip it.

Does this game have any Steam integration on PS3 like Portal 2 did?

Also, what is the general opinion about the PS3 version? Does it run smooth, etc?

antitrop

It never seemed to be as prevalent as people would bitch about it though.
Exactly my point. Aimbots and wallhacking WERE rampant, some times more than others, but eventually it just became the default cry to almost ANY death. Anyone who was good enough to hit the top of the leaderboards in public servers has a million stories of being banned from server after server for "hacking".

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah I've been banned from quite a few servers in the past for "hacking".

Haha, especially the wall shot from B tunnels to B bombsite on Dust 2. Get someone through that, and 90% chance you'll be accused of hacking.

Zia

I've been playing CS longer than you've been born. Please, this game is atrocious.

Crap like this is why it's so hard for Valve to curate the game, and tailor it to The Audience, whatever that may be. Everyone's an expert but can't articulate why.

dLMN8R

I downloaded and extensively played the first public beta of Counter-Strike ever released in the Summer of 1999. Global Offensive is great.

njean777

Crap like this is why it's so hard for Valve to curate the game, and tailor it to The Audience, whatever that may be. Everyone's an expert but can't articulate why.

Thats why they usually ignore them, people will always complain, they can just go play the old version if they want. Nobody will miss them.

antitrop

I downloaded and extensively played the first public beta of Counter-Strike ever released in the Summer of 1999. Global Offensive is great.
Thank you. I started playing in the summer of 2000, a few months before full public release and I'm having a blast with GO.

It's probably the most I've been excited about Counter-Strike in like 8 years.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'd like the game a lot more if I could reliably find a <50 ping server. Took me 5 reconnects to get a server that was 85 ping.

Arnie

I hope there's still a decent skill gap on the consoles. One thing I loved about playing CS back in the day was that the more I put in, the more I got out. The skill gap was sublime once you got the hang of it, and in essence that's why I love counterstrike.

Circumstances have changed, though. I no longer play on PC, and thus I'll buy this on 360 tomorrow, having never played counterstrike on console before, or even wanted to contemplate how that would feel. Still, though, I just hope a defined skill gap still exists, and the controller doesn't destroy that feeling of being better than your opponent.

I'm under no illusions that it'll be diluted, but I hope it's the same flavour.

KingKong

Man AK feels really good right now, judt spray and pull down. M4 seems to be better in bursts

edit: man first time I played CS was like 2001 so whatever version that was. I remember the menu background being some Ts or CTs in a tunnel

Does this game have any Steam integration on PS3 like Portal 2 did?

Also, what is the general opinion about the PS3 version? Does it run smooth, etc?

1. Nay

2. It's not perfect, but it seems consistent in its weirdness. I played the beta on my pc with everything jacked at 60 FPS... and the PS3 version certainly isn't that. But, that said, I had a grand ol time playing it on the ps3 tonight.

Hey there, I have a question for those who play on the PS3 with a mouse. Is there any input lag for the mouse just like unreal tournament 3?

rCIZZLE

Yeah I've been banned from quite a few servers in the past for "hacking".

Haha, especially the wall shot from B tunnels to B bombsite on Dust 2. Get someone through that, and 90% chance you'll be accused of hacking.

Damn, what kind of idiot mod bans for the most known spam spot in the game? I can understand T spawn to long corner D2 or green truck to rafters nuke, though.

I've been playing CS longer than you've been born. Please, this game is atrocious.

Calm down. Nobody's attacking your CS cred.

pompidu

10 years ago it was hacks. Now it's hitboxes and the game being broken.

People will blame their lack of skill on anything to make themselves feel better.
There was a great amount of extremely good players no doubt. But truth be told hacking in that game was so ridiculous and there were so many of them. Anyone playing CS 1.6 knew about that.

Xero

Notice how mileena ignored the hitbox rebuttal and opted to instead just start randomly insulting people.

antitrop

There was a great amount of extremely good players no doubt. But truth be told hacking in that game was so ridiculous and there were so many of them. Anyone playing CS 1.6 knew about that.
For me the paranoia ruined the game experience more than the actual hacks.

The high of pulling off a sick, impressive kill only to be staring at the main menu 15 seconds later was worse than getting headshot AWP'd from the Spawn and finding a new server.

KingKong

I think I stopped playing when Valve put in ads. It was a real bitch finding a good server without paying for ESEA anyway

Mileena

Banned
Well you really can't argue with facts.

That this game is aimed at the casual audience and NOT trying to "bridge the communities of 1.6 and Source"? Valve straight up lied, this game barely feels better than the beta a couple weeks in. How is this game supposed to make 1.6 players happy, when nothing about it is like 1.6? Call me an elitist dick all you want, but CS is my favorite game and having the name slapped on this piece of garbage Valve shat out is pretty disturbing.

rCIZZLE

The cheaters had more to do with me playing in leagues than anything else. My buddies and I got tired of pubs not having enough mods so we got our own server and did 10 mans. Then some of us formed a team and went from there. :p

Revenant

That this game is aimed at the casual audience and NOT trying to "bridge the communities of 1.6 and Source"? Valve straight up lied, this game barely feels better than the beta a couple weeks in. How is this game supposed to make 1.6 players happy, when nothing about it is like 1.6? Call me an elitist dick all you want, but CS is my favorite game and having thename slapped on this piece of garbage Valve shat out is pretty disturbing.

I can only imagine how hard this is for you, pure devastation I bet. C'mon guys, back to 1.6...for Mileena.

Sajjaja

Now i just need to pick which sponsor i want.

Really though, I'm just getting used to the maps. I haven't really played a multiplayer FPS much since enemy territory, quake 3 before that.

If you want someone to play with, I'd be happy to. I suck as well. Steam ID is Sajjaja. Probably not tonight though, got an exam early tomorrow morning.

ACE 1991

That this game is aimed at the casual audience and NOT trying to "bridge the communities of 1.6 and Source"? Valve straight up lied, this game barely feels better than the beta a couple weeks in. How is this game supposed to make 1.6 players happy, when nothing about it is like 1.6? Call me an elitist dick all you want, but CS is my favorite game and having the name slapped on this piece of garbage Valve shat out is pretty disturbing.

Oh NeoGAF.

After playing the game in beta on PC up until the release, I thought I'd check out the PS3 trial before deciding on what version I'd buy. If it was still cross platform I would have picked the PC version instantly but I'm pretty interested in playing with my friends.

First of all: The default controls are absolutely terrible with a Dualshock, it took me around 10 minutes to make a decent configuration that was actually worth using, it's a shame because I was amazed at how well Portal 2 was handled on PS3 control wise. After configuring the controls, I still can't used to the idea of playing Counter-Strike with a controller. I just can't find a good mix of sensitivity that actually works well, it's a shame because I wanted to love the game on PS3. I imagine it'd be far more enjoyable playing with the Move (which I don't own) or the Mouse and Keyboard (I'd prefer not to use them on the sofa).

I was actually pretty good at the game on PC and it's a shame that the PS3 version just isn't that enjoyable to me because I would love to play with friends.

Kurdel

Banned
This is my first CS and it is really awesome. Will I gain anything by going to Source and 1.6 to try them out?

I own both thanks to all those Steam sales, but never played them. Considering I am enjoying GO, are there are real differences, or is this just a case of people hating change?

Xero

r4bll.jpg

antitrop

This is my first CS and it is really awesome. Will I gain anything by going to Source and 1.6 to try them out?

I own both thanks to all those Steam sales, but never played them. Considering I am enjoying GO, are there are real differences, or is this just a case of people hating change?
I don't think you have anything at all to gain by playing previous iterations. (Especially Source, because that game honestly does kind of suck).

If you're enjoying GO, just keep playing GO.

rCIZZLE

Exactly that. The game isn't necessarily better or worse... just different.

If you want to be good at GO I would recommend just sticking with that. The others are worth checking out for fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom