• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompidu

For me the paranoia ruined the game experience more than the actual hacks.

The high of pulling off a sick, impressive kill only to be staring at the main menu 15 seconds later was worse than getting headshot AWP'd from the Spawn and finding a new server.
I never really got that feeling and I was quite a good player in my time. Most admins were dicks and probably just banned you because they can.

The cheaters had more to do with me playing in leagues than anything else. My buddies and I got tired of pubs not having enough mods so we got our own server and did 10 mans. Then some of us formed a team and went from there. :p
Only way to play was find a good server with a lot of good mods and just play there. Hard to find those now.

This is my first CS and it is really awesome. Will I gain anything by going to Source and 1.6 to try them out?

I own both thanks to all those Steam sales, but never played them. Considering I am enjoying GO, are there are real differences, or is this just a case of people hating change?
Play go first, they are all 3 different games. Go seems to be a good blend of both worlds.

just put in a couple hours on the ps3 version. my first thoughts:
- bots are dumb. only tried easy bots, but teams tend to stick together, and they always go to where the enemies will go. so you'll usually know 5 seconds into the round where the enemies will be.
- weapon selection is really nice. i'm loving the new shotguns especially.
- aiming on the controller feels really really good. i'll eventually plug in my k/m, but i was jus too lazy to do it tonight. i think it's due to the aim acceleration? does halo and cod have it? i've only played them briefly, but i couldn't aim for shit on them. in this game though, non-stop headshots.
- the crosshair is very distracting. haven't tried turning off dynamic crosshair, but i'll mess around with that tomorrow.
- not sure if i like it more than 1.6. definitely feels better than source though. the weapons feel good, but something about the movement and general pacing irks me. maybe i'm just not used to the controller, or maybe its the 30fps, i don't know.

can't comment on online play yet, because i was too lazy to link my steam account.

That this game is aimed at the casual audience and NOT trying to "bridge the communities of 1.6 and Source"? Valve straight up lied, this game barely feels better than the beta a couple weeks in. How is this game supposed to make 1.6 players happy, when nothing about it is like 1.6? Call me an elitist dick all you want, but CS is my favorite game and having the name slapped on this piece of garbage Valve shat out is pretty disturbing.

The game honestly feels really different to how the game felt early on in the beta. I was actually impressed at how better the game was towards the end of the beta when compared to the beginning.

ampere

Bought it with the preorder deal the other day because I know I would be picking it up anyway. It's pretty fun and I'm as much of a scrub as ever! Perhaps I'll play enough to be decent this time around

I kinda revert on what I said earlier. I changed my play style a little and I'm doing better. It just feels weird coming from source and not playing the beta.

Longshot

That this game is aimed at the casual audience and NOT trying to "bridge the communities of 1.6 and Source"? Valve straight up lied, this game barely feels better than the beta a couple weeks in. How is this game supposed to make 1.6 players happy, when nothing about it is like 1.6? Call me an elitist dick all you want, but CS is my favorite game and having the name slapped on this piece of garbage Valve shat out is pretty disturbing.
Can you explain what you dislike about the game exactly, please?

The hit boxes (which are arguably better than Source)?

The recoil?

Spray patterns?

I only played Source casually and I'd like to here some legit concerns. But I do sorta agree with you on Valve appealing to the casual crowd, I like a bit of challenge and competition in my games.

Loving this game. Wasn't too sure how it'd play on PS3 but it's totally fine and using a controller is simple enough too.
Not liking the lack of a silencer on the M4 however.

Nome

This is my first CS and it is really awesome. Will I gain anything by going to Source and 1.6 to try them out?

I own both thanks to all those Steam sales, but never played them. Considering I am enjoying GO, are there are real differences, or is this just a case of people hating change?
GO has the better featureset right now. I still prefer 1.6's gameplay over Source and GO, but I don't think I'd ever go back to it. Might just be nostalgia too.

TGMIII

GO has the better featureset right now. I still prefer 1.6's gameplay over Source and GO, but I don't think I'd ever go back to it. Might just be nostalgia too.

Nah 1.6 plays a lot better but most of that is down to the engine. The source engine brings a lot of small things like "slippery" movement and I think it's the reason for most of the recoil complaints that 1.6 players had with CS: Source & CS: GO but like you said if you've never played them before there's no reason for you to go back.

Can you explain what you dislike about the game exactly, please?

The hit boxes (which are arguably better than Source)?

The recoil?

Spray patterns?

I only played Source casually and I'd like to here some legit concerns. But I do sorta agree with you on Valve appealing to the casual crowd, I like a bit of challenge and competition in my games.

I've said this before but from what I remember GO started off as a project to port CS: source to consoles but it's turned into a different beast over time. Hidden path actually took a lot of what top players and knowledgeable players on board and made changes throughout the beta. I've spent a decent amount of time with GO but I've not really done any real research myself on things like recoil on how it completely works but I'll give you a view from someone who's played 1.5/1.6 at a decent level.

Spray patterns for some of the weapons, like the M4, are actually fairly close to what it was in 1.6 (it's got that T shape to the pattern) but not completely there but that's not necessarily a bad thing. My issue comes from how the recoil reacts and feels. In 1.6 I could feel where the recoil was dragging me and from that learn how to control it but with CS: Source and with GO I don't get that sort of feedback, they've made in better throughout the GO beta but it's still not quite there and I don't think there will be any further improvements on it.

Another issue right now for me personally is the movement. With 1.6 there were some subtle movement skills that you could learn that was a part of the reason why the skill ceiling was so high, for example on T side of de_train it's possible to bunny hop from the inside stairs and peek the lower entrance and see the pop dog train and move down to see the top of the train. Movement in Source and GO didn't allow for this, obviously in this example the map layouts have changed slightly from each version but you see what I'm getting at. There's also the "slidey" feeling that movement in source/GO feels. In 1.6 I could go from bunny hopping down a ramp to a standstill instantly, while with GO you don't stop instantly and it removes that crisp feeling of movement that 1.6 had. People have played around with cvars and near 1.6 movement is possible in GO. I'm not saying that GO HAS to have movement like 1.6 or that the game needs to be 1.6, it doesn't, but it certainly doesn't feel as good in a few ways.

Like I've said I think most of this is due to a different engine and some stuff is hard to explain without visually showing it but I'm still hopeful that GO can turn into a competitive beast. If anything I'm actually more worried about it's competitive viability under Valve than with Hidden Path.

Concept17

Nah 1.6 plays a lot better but most of that is down to the engine. The source engine brings a lot of small things like "slippery" movement and I think it's the reason for most of the recoil complaints that 1.6 players had with CS: Source & CS: GO but like you said if you've never played them before there's no reason for you to go back.

Yup. And for many its just a matter of getting used to one or the other. They're all very competent games.

This game is so depressing. I didn't play the beta for months to see if they could improve it and it's still just awful. These Source hitboxes are just complete shit and the AK/M4 still don't feel good recoil-wise.

Source is still a good game.Sure the hitbox is iffy compared to 1.6 but the game is still good.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Played for 4 hours with the PlayStation Move and I'm not impressed.

The most annoying thing is the "aim assist". When cursor overlaps enemy, cursor sensitivity drops severely resulting in a sluggish feeling. When you crouch, cursor sensitivity goes down as well, messing with your muscle memory.

Every time you go from crouch to standing or from scope to hip view mode, cursor spawns in the middle of the screen and then travels to where it's supposed to be (that is, where you are aiming).

Cursor doesn't match the upward recoil. You can see the gun tilting upwards, the bullets on the wall drawing a vertical line, but the cursor stays still at the bottom of that line.

Vibration messes up accuracy A LOT. You better turn it off.

Some odd button mapping. In order to equip the knife (which you do by pressing L1 on the DS3) you need to press UP on the d-pad (hence releasing the left stick). Funny thing is the big, fat main Move button is not used at all.

You are asked to calibrate every time you go into a game from the main menu.

Levito

Banned
1.6 vet here, didn't like Source much at all.

This game however I'm enjoying quite a bit, hit detection and recoil are leagues better than Source.

KPunk

1.6 vet here, didn't like Source much at all.

This game however I'm enjoying quite a bit, hit detection and recoil are leagues better than Source.

complete agree, honestly I've been playing CS since beta 3 left hand models ftw. this game feels A LOT like 1.6. quiet impressed source just didn't feel like CS.

Can anyone confirm that you can indeed play on the same team as a friend online against bots in a private match in the PS3 version?

G_Berry

Banned
Played a couple of hours today (pc) and I was having a ball.

Reminds of the good old days of cs source.

Best $15 I've spent in a while.

complete agree, honestly I've been playing CS since beta 3 left hand models ftw. this game feels A LOT like 1.6. quiet impressed source just didn't feel like CS.
lmao csgo feels nothing like 1.6. source is better in every way. this feels unpolishd and the weapons look cartoony/bad.

Zia

So, Zombie Mod isn't quite ready for prime time. A buggy mess. They'll get it ironed out, though. Anxious to really get into it -- I never really got into CS mods and this seems like a nice opportunity to start fresh. Zaniest I ever got was stuff like low-grav scoutzknivez.

FLEABttn

Banned
I messed around in casual mode tonight because I'm years outside the last time I actually played CS. Maybe it's because it's casual mode, but I was really disappointed with the amount of bots in the games I played. It was a night of 3v3, plus 4 bots. It's reminding me of Brink, except Brink inherently sucks.

Dgott

Banned
I am enjoying this so far as being my first foray into CS. I'm playing on the PS3 and I've got a question.....

Is there only 2 maps per mode? That's all I'm seeing so far. Are they setting us console bretheren up for Paid DLC?

TheExodu5

Banned
I am enjoying this so far as being my first foray into CS. I'm playing on the PS3 and I've got a question.....

Is there only 2 maps per mode? That's all I'm seeing so far. Are they setting us console bretheren up for Paid DLC?

There are 2 hostage rescue maps and 5 defusal maps. They are most notably missing a few competitive maps which they may or may not have the rights to.

As for paid DLC? That really wouldn't be like Valve at all.

remz

Does it really matter that it's not a 1.6 clone?

I have a lot more fun playing Go then i do source, as far as I'm concerned that's all that matters :|

I liked what I played of GO in beta, except for the fact that when Valve gave me the keys, they forgot to mention that nearly no one in South East Asia had them yet.

But fighting the bots was great, although it took me a while to get used in not having iron sights. Forgot that I haven't played CS for years. Still I'm not surprised if people find 1.6 better than this game. Nostalgia is a very powerful drug.

My favorite CS version? Beta 6. Although yes, most probably nostalgia.

antitrop

What version of CS had an M4 with a scope?

I feel like I remember the M4 having a scope when I first started playing, or maybe I've just smoked too much pot.

Formless

Their are a lot of cool custom maps (particularly Nippers maps) and mods for source that are cool to check out. Like a complete recreation of the disney's haunted mansion ride.

Here it is the map is called de_haunts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnFekqVATLU

Unfortunately these maps were mostly too big to be played in regular rotations and weren't ever popular. There were some amazing maps to be found on fpsbanana back in the day.

Played for 4 hours with the PlayStation Move and I'm not impressed.

The most annoying thing is the "aim assist". When cursor overlaps enemy, cursor sensitivity drops severely resulting in a sluggish feeling. When you crouch, cursor sensitivity goes down as well, messing with your muscle memory.

Every time you go from crouch to standing or from scope to hip view mode, cursor spawns in the middle of the screen and then travels to where it's supposed to be (that is, where you are aiming).

Cursor doesn't match the upward recoil. You can see the gun tilting upwards, the bullets on the wall drawing a vertical line, but the cursor stays still at the bottom of that line.

Vibration messes up accuracy A LOT. You better turn it off.

Some odd button mapping. In order to equip the knife (which you do by pressing L1 on the DS3) you need to press UP on the d-pad (hence releasing the left stick). Funny thing is the big, fat main Move button is not used at all.

You are asked to calibrate every time you go into a game from the main menu.

Thanks for the impressions! That's sad, I was hoping Move would be implemented right. Is it so hard to do this on a level as good as Killzone 3 did? Have you tried out the mouse/keybord setting (PS3 version still has that, right)?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Follow me, I'd like to introduce you to a little game on the 360 named L4D2. Paid DLC EVERYWHERE!

The price tag is imposed by Microsoft. However, any and all DLC for CS:GO will be free on the X360 because it'll also be free on the PS3 -- just as is the case with Portal 2. The idea that DLC should have a price tag attached to it unless said content is available for free on a competitor's platform is one of Microsoft's more disagreeable XBL policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom