• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
finally got to check this out on 360 - been really looking forward to it.

and holy hell is it a janky mess!

by far the worst part of all is the net code. after trying 5 or 6 matches online, i give up. every single game i cant walk more then 3 steps without being reverted 2 steps back from lag. insane. i cant recall ever seeing a game on xbox live, even back when the service launched, that was this fucking poor and unplayable.

spent a few rounds with bots and even a silky smooth online match wouldnt save this. the controls flat out suck. movement especially feels as though i'm on ice. aiming is better, but not great. CS on xbox feels WAY better. PC, way way way better.

and graphically its definitely sub par.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

by far the worst part of all is the net code. after trying 5 or 6 matches online, i give up. every single game i cant walk more then 3 steps without being reverted 2 steps back from lag. insane. i cant recall ever seeing a game on xbox live, even back when the service launched, that was this fucking poor and unplayable.

spent a few rounds with bots and even a silky smooth online match wouldnt save this. the controls flat out suck. movement especially feels as though i'm on ice. aiming is better, but not great. CS on xbox feels WAY better. PC, way way way better.

Are people really having problems playing online on the 360? I had zero problems while playing the trial online in terms of lag.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think my only complaint so far with the game has been the mysterious lack of silencers on my CT standard weapon and M4. Seems like a very unusual detail to leave out. That and the buckets of rust I've had to scrape off myself. Other than that, it feels like counter strike enough for me and I'm loving it.

jlevel13

Are people really having problems playing online on the 360? I had zero problems while playing the trial online in terms of lag.

Online was perfect for me too during the half hour or so I played this morning, so reports of other people with big problems is worrying. Hopefully it's just launch day issues and it'll improve over the next days (as often happens with a multiplayer game on launch).

Xero

Even though some of this is repeated knowledge, but advice for newbies. Try not to shoot while moving. The optimal thing to do is to stop a half second before you fire, then move as soon as you are done. burst fire with rifles. Particularly the Ak is deadly accurate for the first shot, and you can get easy headshots with it. Use your ears a lot. Using sound to determine where the enemy is, is paramount. Walking to sneak up on opponents is key. Their is a time and a place for it though. If you are shooting the enemy from close range, and are firing rapidly aim down, as the recoil will kick the bullets up. When planting the bomb, it might seem best to plant the bomb where the terrorists can't see it, particularly if you are under fire at the time. The absolute best planting places are the easiest to see. That way you can have teammates cover it from multiple angles and always have a clear shot at anyone defusing. In some instances it opens up people being hundreds of feet away and having a clear shot of a ct's head when they defuse. Worse case when defending the bomb, try to delay the ct's so they don't have time to defuse. If you are outnumbered guarding it, use smokes and flashbangs to delay the ct's converging on it.

For old cs veterans do you guys remember when the t's could move the hostages? I remember terrorist taking hostages out on places and running up a ladder with them, and jumping on their heads to boost to high areas. Also De_docks and the implementation of the vip mode, and long forgotten jailbreak mode.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!

360 version has been very smooth for me online. Plays like a dream aside from a few stutters here and there.

Copenap

Really like CS:GO thus far. Only playing competitive matchmaking but it's good there's casual as well so newer player can get some experience and you have mostly player knowing what they are doing in competitive play.

I agree with the weapon models looking kinda off though, they do look weird and I vastly prefer 1.6 weapon models (at least how I remember them...).

And I hope they tweak the matchmaking a little bit, feels like there are too many bots too often needed to fill up the teams.

And last but not least I "demand" 2v2 and 5v5 party matchmaking (kinda funwar style without having to go through irc). I actually thought this was goinmg to be in the game already as I remember reading about it and that would really be what would tie me to this game for a long time.

feel

A new patch already? The 360 will probably never see it...
PC version gets patched literally multiple times per week these days.

They'll probably just do a big patch that fixes a ton of stuff at once on consoles after a while.

mattbison

Banned
I'm the shittiest CS player alive and it pisses me off.. I got 1 kill in 3 games last night..

MY FAULT FOR WALL HACKING WHEN I WAS LIKE 13 AND RUINING MY FPS SKILLS A DECADE AGO!

spk

Is it just me or do the console versions have greater color saturation in the maps? dust2 looks a lot more orange and azetc is a lot greener..

e- oh wow it looks incredibly frustrating to play this on a console

Even though some of this is repeated knowledge, but advice for newbies. Try not to shoot while moving. The optimal thing to do is to stop a half second before you fire, then move as soon as you are done. burst fire with rifles. Particularly the Ak is deadly accurate for the first shot, and you can get easy headshots with it. Use your ears a lot. Using sound to determine where the enemy is, is paramount. Walking to sneak up on opponents is key. Their is a time and a place for it though. If you are shooting the enemy from close range, and are firing rapidly aim down, as the recoil will kick the bullets up. When planting the bomb, it might seem best to plant the bomb where the terrorists can't see it, particularly if you are under fire at the time. The absolute best planting places are the easiest to see. That way you can have teammates cover it from multiple angles and always have a clear shot at anyone defusing. In some instances it opens up people being hundreds of feet away and having a clear shot of a ct's head when they defuse. Worse case when defending the bomb, try to delay the ct's so they don't have time to defuse. If you are outnumbered guarding it, use smokes and flashbangs to delay the ct's converging on it.

For old cs veterans do you guys remember when the t's could move the hostages? I remember terrorist taking hostages out on places and running up a ladder with them, and jumping on their heads to boost to high areas. Also De_docks and the implementation of the vip mode, and long forgotten jailbreak mode.
My cousin and I used to take them into the bathroom on Militia and float on their heads. We'd also buy M249s and kill a bunch of people through the walls based off of the sound of footsteps or doors opening. Good times.

Mahonay

Banned
Holy crap I am having a ton of fun with this game on the 360. Really quality port. Controls great, looks fine, connection during games seems very consistent. It's definitely Counter-Strike. I don't think they could have done a better job. Played from 9AM this morning until I had to leave for work at 3:30pm.

It was pretty funny that I actually ended up teaching some people how to play during my marathon session. I was certainly never a big CS player but it's surprising how many people have never played it in the past 10 years.

redhot_

Ugh buyers remorse setting in. Didn't realize how campy and slow matches can be with teams that have there try hard pants pulled up to their chins. The guns just don't feel reliable.. not sure how to explain it, some just feel horrible.

CSX

I'm the shittiest CS player alive and it pisses me off.. I got 1 kill in 3 games last night..

MY FAULT FOR WALL HACKING WHEN I WAS LIKE 12. IT RUINED MY CS LIFE.

I remember having a wall hacker in my clan server. He was still terrible so the admins decided not to ban him anyways :p

he was always 3-19 or something similar before the map change

Mahonay

Banned

Game worked flawlessly for me today aside from trying to join with a friends lobby.

Crank up the sensitivity near the top end. Default control settings are ridiculous.

DryvBy

I asked this yesterday but never saw a reply. I bought the PS3 version. My keyboard and mouse are recognized but my mouse (Microsoft Sidewinder) will NOT work. If I unplug it, the game recognizes the mouse is unplugged. I plug it back in, still can't look around with the mouse. Am I missing something?

Mouse does work though. It's my PC mouse and it works in UT3.

Mahonay

Banned
I asked this yesterday but never saw a reply. I bought the PS3 version. My keyboard and mouse are recognized but my mouse (Microsoft Sidewinder) will NOT work. If I unplug it, the game recognizes the mouse is unplugged. I plug it back in, still can't look around with the mouse. Am I missing something?

Mouse does work though. It's my PC mouse and it works in UT3.
It's likely not supported on the PS3 of 360 version of the game.

Played both console versions: imo Xbox looks better and runs smother. Guess that was a given, as the 360 is more PC-like than the PS3.

Had a good time today with a half dozen friends playing a custom match, against each other & some bots.
Nice to have a game that tests your precision shooting skills, and not just a bunch of aim assist crap like every other mainstreamed shooter has. Big props to Valve.

Overheard in my friends match, not surprisingly: "How do I aim down sights?" and "Wait...I have to rebuy all my stuff if I die?!"
lol, silly CoD noob.

Mahonay

Banned
Overheard in my friends match, not surprisingly: "How do I aim down sights?" and "Wait...I have to rebuy all my stuff if I die?!"
lol, silly CoD noob.
Hahahaha yes I heard that quite a few times myself today. It felt weird actually having to explain the very basics of CS to some people. I thought I was a huge noob but I guess not really in comparison to someone that's never played any version of CS in their life.

stuminus3

Why is it that every time I choose to play Demolition on official Valve servers via matchmaking I end up playing that mode but on regular de_ maps? I haven't been in a single game with the new maps.

Cardigan

Sigh, hacks are already out. Some guy on a server I was playing would warp into our spawn within 2 seconds and headshot us all.

spk

Yes I miss the old maps for casual play: backalley, arabstreets, docks, thunder, zoption, highrise, etc etc. I also remember hostage boosting and boosting through the roof of assault :|

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
god damnit. team scramble is fucking broken. CHANGE TEAMS AND NOT RESTART THE FUCKING MAP!!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I hope they go back and re-do old maps. I'd love to play on Mansion, Bunker and Cobble again.

yeah i'm pretty sure they will milk the shit outta this game.

piranesi, chateau, siege, cbble, militia etc.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Yes I miss the old maps for casual play: backalley, arabstreets, docks, thunder, zoption, highrise, etc etc. I also remember hostage boosting and boosting through the roof of assault :|

<3 cs_thunder and cs_arabstreets

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Hopefully they add better support for Community Servers, game does a poor job of letting you know what's going on when you try and join, you need to check your console to see what's going on.

Arms Race is such a terrible mode, just a complete mess.

rCIZZLE

Is it? You're sad.

Console needs some level of aim assist. It has nothing to do with being bad - which I'd wager nobody here, me included, is good enough to talk shit. If you want to experience what console games have to go through then download the demo on 360/ps3 and see how difficult it is.

You have to remember the average player will probably become frustrated by the sudden loss of all aim assist.

Xero

some humorous cs stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cjrp23lBSM

bIdYU.jpg

bextK.jpg

GfXct.jpg

6XZV6.png

wwm0nkey

Has anyone found a good setting for the aiming yet? I am fine with no aim assist in the console version but the aiming feels a bit off at points.

Mahonay

Banned
Console needs some level of aim assist. It has nothing to do with being bad - which I'd wager nobody here, me included, is good enough to talk shit. If you want to experience what console games have to go through then download the demo on 360/ps3 and see how difficult it is.

You have to remember the average player will probably become frustrated by the sudden loss of all aim assist.
It took me quite a few games to get used to it myself. But by my last game today, after lots of controller sensitivity tuning and adjustment time, I went 34 and 12.

I can tell a lot of people were struggling with the free aiming though. I'd run up on a group of guys and they would struggle dearly to get a bead on me while I just pumped bullets into them.

Mahonay

Banned
Has anyone found a good setting for the aiming yet? I am fine with no aim assist in the console version but the aiming feels a bit off at points.
I cranked up both vertical and horizontal sensitivities pretty high. I have them both set exactly the same level instead of stilted like they are by default. That seems to be better for me

I also changed the reticule to be "fixed". I forgot what the setting is but I turned off the "dynamic" setting it was on by default. It's in controller options.

Arnie

I've been trying to adapt to 1.30 in bot matches, and I'm getting better. It's a nice sweet point between greater range, but without feeling super janky.

And I say I've been practising in bot matches because I'm in the 360 camp who can't play online because of crippling lag.

Mahonay

Banned
I've been trying to adapt to 1.30 in bot matches, and I'm getting better. It's a nice sweet point between greater range, but without feeling super janky.

And I say I've been practising in bot matches because I'm in the 360 camp who can't play online because of crippling lag.
That's so odd. Because I played all morning and all afternoon today with practically zero lag issues. I had people IN THE SAME GAME being vocal about the severe lag they were experiencing, while I was running and gunning just fine. Obviously a lot of other people here are reporting the same problem as well.

Maybe it's a regional thing, like where you're located from the servers? Who knows. I'm in NYC so a pretty centralized area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom