• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Atsou just so you know you could have created 1 raffle for all 3 guns and put the free for all rule in. So people can enter for all of the guns but will only win 1.

Counter Strike coming to MLG will premiere at X-Games

Counter-Strike is finally coming to Major League Gaming, and it will premiere on the company's biggest stage.

On Jan. 23, Aspen, Co. the best Counter-Strike players in the world will join world-class snowboarders and skiers at the ESPN's Winter X-Games.

This is only the second time MLG and esports have made an appearance at the X-Games. In June, the best Call of Duty teams in the world competed in Austin, after which MLG President Michael Sepso promised that the company's appearance wouldn't be a "one-time thing."

He was right. Now Counter-Strike: Global Offensive will step into the limelight as the North American esports institution throws its hat into the game's ring for the first time in its history, inviting the best sides in Europe and North America to contest for X-Games medals.

A breakdown of participants by region isn't available yet. We do know the tournament will feature eight teams in total, selected via online qualifiers, and will broadcast on MLG.tv, the company's online streaming platform. Top three performers will garner gold, silver, and bronze medals.

Even more notable than the gilded bling, however, is the opportunity for participants to demonstrate their skill in front of a massive, mainstream audience. While full-length games will only be shown on MLG.tv, highlights and additional clips will be broadcast on ESPN and ABC, two of the United States’ largest television networks. While there won't be any full game coverage outside of MLG itself, the tournament’s inclusion in ESPN’s programming remains yet another nod to the growing cultural significance of esports in a mainstream context.

For fans of Counter-Strike, the event is another in a mounting series of viewership victories—most notably, the recent ESL-One Cologne grand final, which brought in 409,000 concurrent viewers. For Major League Gaming, its second X-Games appearance is a major step for an organization eager to push its business into the mainstream lens.

As to whether MLG planned to continue hosting Counter-Strike tournaments, CEO Sundance DiGiovanni had only this to say to the Daily Dot: "There will be more."

Huge for the NA scene.

Odah

Banned
csgl returned skins >_>

but luckily there is no rule 15 on egaming therefore:

c4c5e0b5d8.png

hue

CSGO killed my internet lol was in a match and my ping spiked and i got lag the rest of the match. Went out to check my speed and i was barely getting 0.5Mb :(

Xizk

Looking forward to OT2 so we can get some new people in here. Need more europeans to MM with. How many pages/posts are needed before it can be created?

frbrr

Looking forward to OT2 so we can get some new people in here. Need more europeans to MM with. How many pages/posts are needed before it can be created?

I'm up for some MM, but I'm not super good or anything
just tired of playing with random ragers, quitters and afkers

soultron

Banned
CSGO |OT2| DDOS These Gambling Smurfs
CSGO |OT2| Forecast Calls For DDOS With A Light Sprinkling Of Chance Knives
CSGO |OT2| Odah Plays The Skin Flute
CSGO |OT2| Giveaways, Gambling, Griefing, Grieving
CSGO |OT2| Added Boiler To |OT|
CSGO |OT2| 2smurfy4me

OK, maybe that last Odah one was offensive.
But I mean it in a loving way, promise!

I like this one. Pretty much covers everything.

CoolS

I was told the OT2 had to be created in Gaming COmmunity, so it probably won't attract many new members. I guess I could ask a mod if it's okay to put it in normal Gaming for a week or so before it is moved?

Oh and this thread will be closed at around 400 pages, so we still have 75 or so to go.

CSGO |OT2| 2smurfy4me

I definitely think DDoS has to be in there in some way.

And wow at the redline giveaways!

Clydefrog

Our group of 5 (west coast USA) got grouped up against Frenchies last night who had 250+ ping. They were all walling too, quite obviously. Their names were the twitch dongers memes too. At half-time they just yelled at us nonstop in French and broken English. When we lost 16-8, they were literally yelling into their mics.

Screw you, Europe

Xizk

I'm up for some MM, but I'm not super good or anything
just tired of playing with random ragers, quitters and afkers

What's your steam id?

Edit: Looks like update is coming tonight. Changed changenumber – 746426 › 748100

ironmang

I wish they'd make this game $50 with no sales. Maybe have a free mode for casual matches only. Sorry new players but sacrifices need to be made.

I wish they'd make this game $50 with no sales. Maybe have a free mode for casual matches only. Sorry new players but sacrifices need to be made.

The folks who are determined to cheat actually pay money to buy those cheats. They won't care as much about a price increase.

$15 is one of the best things this game has going for it to increase it's popularity.

ironmang

The folks who are determined to cheat actually pay money to buy those cheats. They won't care as much about a price increase.

$15 is one of the best things this game has going for it to increase it's popularity.

Cheats aren't that much bro. I heard some guy saying his cost $80. They'll think a lot less about cheating if every time they're caught it costs $50 instead of $3.75-15.

I don't see why the casual can't be free and the competitive costs money. They have good reasoning for it. Could even use the extra money for better servers and further anti-cheat protection.

chessnut

Cheats aren't that much bro. I heard some guy saying his cost $80. They'll think a lot less about cheating if every time they're caught it costs $50 instead of $3.75-15.

I don't see why the casual can't be free and the competitive costs money. They have good reasoning for it. Could even use the extra money for better servers and further anti-cheat protection.

That's a good one, never thought of that

Mokoi

Banned
I think I'm going to play on ESEA from now on. I suck, but eh I think it'll be a better experience overall. I'll just play support for the people I end up playing with. :3

ironmang

I think I'm going to play on ESEA from now on. I suck, but eh I think it'll be a better experience overall. I'll just play support for the people I end up playing with. :3

I've tried ESEA recently but their matchmaking is taking forever to find a match for me and if I don't trigger finger the accept then I have to wait even longer. Might be fixed now or been caused by me playing at odd times, I don't know. I used to play on there all the time about 5-7 years ago and saw very few cheaters and the ones I saw were banned immediately after the match.

You'd be surprised how much money people will drop on a game if they're motivated. I reckon most of us have already spent more than $15 on the game when you count operations, keys, cosmetics etc. My current tally is in the hundreds. Yes, $50 would be a deterrent to cheaters but it would not solve the problem and it would also cause collateral damage by keeping new players out. Counter Strike was basically dead for years even before CSGO came out. You had the diehards playing 1.6 and Source but it never really attained the mass appeal that GO now enjoys, and $15 was a big part of that.

Plus of course there's the whole thing about how raising the price now would be completely unrealistic. You can't triple the price of a 2 year old game and stop putting it on sale.

I do like your idea of making casual free and comp paid. I reckon that's the path they will take if and when they do go F2P with this game.

Omega

Banned
it's on Valve to fix it if they care.
and here come all the valve fanboys to tell me im wrong and valve does care and i should be grateful for masks or some shit
You have people that are willing to pay $8/m or whatever it is for ESEA because it's anti-cheat makes Valve's look like it was made by a toddler and it has 128tick servers. do something

ironmang

You'd be surprised how much money people will drop on a game if they're motivated. I reckon most of us have already spent more than $15 on the game when you count operations, keys, cosmetics etc. My current tally is in the hundreds. Yes, $50 would be a deterrent to cheaters but it would not solve the problem and it would also cause collateral damage by keeping new players out. Counter Strike was basically dead for years even before CSGO came out. You had the diehards playing 1.6 and Source but it never really attained the mass appeal that GO now enjoys, and $15 was a big part of that.

Plus of course there's the whole thing about how raising the price now would be completely unrealistic. You can't triple the price of a 2 year old game and stop putting it on sale.

I do like your idea of making casual free and comp paid. I reckon that's the path they will take if and when they do go F2P with this game.

$50 csgo with no sales would significantly drop cheating. Or if they do cheat they won't be as blatant which is kind of a win. New players wouldn't turn away from the game that's getting hundreds of thousands of viewers for majors just because it costs a little more. Dropping the reputation of having perhaps the most cheater infested FPS would do a lot to attract new players anyways.

I don't think the $15 matters very much at all as far as success of the brand goes. CoD is much more popular and costs 4x as much for a game that's only relevant one year.

Obviously it's unrealistic since I just brainstormed it from my computer lol. We can both agree though that such a price increase would lower the amount of new accounts that are used to blatantly cheat. Plus the extra money could be used to further increase the quality of the game. Stopping the sales should be the least that they do to discourage people from hording accounts.

it's on Valve to fix it if they care.
and here come all the valve fanboys to tell me im wrong and valve does care and i should be grateful for masks or some shit
You have people that are willing to pay $8/m or whatever it is for ESEA because it's anti-cheat makes Valve's look like it was made by a toddler and it has 128tick servers. do something

If ESEA polished their matchmaking I wouldn't even give a shit about the free one anymore. Being forced into a bad ping server which may or may not be in progress is a bummer. Especially for how long it takes to find one. Bonus if they put more emphasis on a ranking system instead of stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom