• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolS

Yes, and tagging effectively stuns people when they get hit.

To elaborate a bit, you basically slow down A LOT and if you aren't right next to some cover it will be hard for you to make it there, unless you manage to kill the one shooting at you.

I used to play a little bit of CSS but I was never very good, and I do not get how the shooting in this works. I unload deagle rounds into a dude's head and he doesn't die but one burst from an AK or UMP drops me. Explain this to me please.

garath

I used to play a little bit of CSS but I was never very good, and I do not get how the shooting in this works. I unload deagle rounds into a dude's head and he doesn't die but one burst from an AK or UMP drops me. Explain this to me please.

You must be missing the head. CS:GO has much smaller hitboxes than CSS did.

Dgott

Banned

You forgot to include "One shot from a Desert Eagle from across the map kills you." lol

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
After messing around with it some more, I don't think I like Demolition all that much. It's not necessarily a bad mode, but I really dislike being forced to use specific (read: shitty) weapons, like the Bizon. I mean, it's not unfair as everyone has to work through that one, but ehhh. At least select some fun guns for us.

I only noticed last night when I plugged in my mic, but the game chat for PS3 is bewilderingly stupid.

You should go into more detail. What's confusing you about it?

You do know that Casual mode allows both teams to talk to eachother, while competitive mode limits the voice chat to just your own team right?

After messing around with it some more, I don't think I like Demolition all that much. It's not necessarily a bad mode, but I really dislike being forced to use specific (read: shitty) weapons, like the Bizon. I mean, it's not unfair as everyone has to work through that one, but ehhh. At least select some fun guns for us.

I get the appeal of the game mode, but man some of those maps are just bad. Some people might harp on the fact that CS has basically used the same maps for like 12 years now, but there's a reason why. The classic set of CS maps really are some of the most well designed FPS maps ever. Kind of amazing most of them came from a mod community initially when you think about it.

PC version has the option to disable that. That would suck if the console version didn't have that.
pretty sure it does. "always show weapons" is what i think it's called. i like leaving it on though, especially for armsrace since i'm not too familiar with the models yet.

You should go into more detail. What's confusing you about it?

You do know that Casual mode allows both teams to talk to eachother, while competitive mode limits the voice chat to just your own team right?

It is confusing me why they thought it would be a good idea to allow everyone to listen to both teams in casual mode

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I get the appeal of the game mode, but man some of those maps are just bad. Some people might harp on the fact that CS has basically used the same maps for like 12 years now, but there's a reason why. The classic set of CS maps really are some of the most well designed FPS maps ever. Kind of amazing most of them came from a mod community initially when you think about it.

Yes, this too. Classic CS maps are still the best of the best, as far as I'm concerned. Would much rather have more defuse and hostage stuff than the Demolition fluff we were given instead. And there's, like, what, six of them no less? Compared to, say, the mere two hostage maps we have here. I get that they wanted to mix things up a bit, but ... c'mon, Valve.

It is confusing me why they thought it would be a good idea to allow everyone to listen to both teams in casual mode

It's right there in the name. "Causal" mode.

Casual.

As in, not serious. A mode that you can just join with friends and play because who cares if you're on the same team? You can still talk to eachother! (and not have to sit in a bubble in party chat to do so).

Rumble19

I mean the center dot on the reticule is dead on the head and they aren't going down. I'm getting multiple shots off too.

You are either moving while you are shooting, or holding down the trigger or otherwise pulling the trigger too fast. Any of those will make your bullets not land where you want them to. If you pay attention, you can see where your bullets are landing. A single shot from a fixed position will always land the bullet in the center of your crosshairs.

spootime

Could someone be kind enough to explain what tagging and flinching is, to someone not in the know? Guessing flinching is what it sounds and your aim is effected by getting shot?

Cheers.

Flinching is when you get shot in the head with something that won't instantly kill you and you don't have head armor. Your aim rocks up and slowly falls back down. Its also important because if you are shooting someone you can see them flinch, which shows that you got a headshot. Tagging is when you get slowed down after being shot.

forgive me for not finding enlightenment in your explanation

He explained it pretty clearly. Its casual. This means that no one really cares about the outcome of the game and you play it to have fun and socialize. I am having a hard time understanding how this could confuse you.

KingKong

1. Some of the classic maps are awesome (dust2, inferno, train, nuke) but come on, you can't tell me that you think dust, aztec, italy or office are that good. The CPL maps (fire, mill, strike) or tuscan or whatever are much better than those

2. No surprise, the modders always make better maps that the devs. Look at Quake 3, Battlefield, Team Fortess (most of the great TF2 maps were taken from TFC)

Mangotron

I mean the center dot on the reticule is dead on the head and they aren't going down. I'm getting multiple shots off too.

A lot of it is just familiarity with the game, I'd suggest playing a bunch of games with bots and getting a feel for all the guns if you don't like getting killed in regular games.

One of the big things is that 99% of the time spraying is going to get you outgunned by a more careful player. A lot of getting headshots is firing in small (1-2 bullet) bursts and calibrating for recoil after those shots. If you just keep firing (even if the reticle is on their head), the recoil will be sending the bullets off elsewhere.

Also, unless you're absolutely sure that they're looking another way or have been flashed, DO NOT engage more then one person at a time. You're often much better off easing around the map and engaging 1v1's then trying to rush hallways you know are full of people. A single good sniper can drop 3+ enemies who are just trying to rush him down a long hallway.

All that said, CS does (imo) have a higher rate of "omg that was bullshit" moments then other fpses, possibly due to the random nature of it's object penetration etc. It is very possible to play around the quirks once you're familiar with it though.

Kydd BlaZe

Never been much of a PC guy, but I used to enjoy the XBOX port of Counter Strike. Tried to play Global Offensive, but just can't get into for some reason. Perhaps I've played far too much Call of Duty and Battlefield, that I just can't jump back into the dated mechanics of CS.

eot

Banned
Question:

If everyone keeps crying "I want 1.6!", why don't they go play 1.6 instead of cluttering this thread up with useless 1.6 posts? This isn't 1.6, this is CounterStrike GO!

The game has been unsupported for years and the server browser is basically broken because it's been hacked and is just flooded with fake servers that redirect you to eastern european non-steam servers (there's a huge amount of people playing pirated non-steam versions of CS, believe it or not).

twofold

Check this --

YP9jn.png

I just went into an empty server and emptied a DEagle clip into a wall. The bullet holes on the right show me spamming the fire button without moving crosshair. The bullet holes on the left show me taking a half second gap between shots.

Notice the difference?

When I took the time to space the shots out, all 7 of them landed in the exact same spot. When I was spamming the fire button, the shots were wildly inaccurate.

Check this --

YP9jn.png

I just went into an empty server and emptied a DEagle clip into a wall. The bullet holes on the right show me spamming the fire button without moving crosshair. The bullet holes on the left show me taking a half second gap between shots.

Notice the difference?

When I took the time to space the shots out, all 7 of them landed in the exact same spot. When I was spamming the fire button, the shots were wildly inaccurate.

I understand what you're trying to demonstrate, but using bullet hole decals is one of the worst way's to do it in the source engine. If you're on PC, look into setting sv_cheats to 1 and starting up your own listen server. Look up some console commands that'll REALLY show you where the bullets are going.

I don't disagree with what you're saying (don't hammer on the trigger), there's just better ways of showing it :)

Ignoring allvof the vitriol and accusations, I picked up the game for ps3 and after fixing my sensitivity and layout am absolutely loving it. I played 1.6 for a long time and while the console controls are not perfect, the game is definitely worth the investment. I'd say the only thing that is jarring is the fact that the hitboxes have changed. Shots that used to count are now missing. Guess I just need to aim better :S

CoolS

Never been much of a PC guy, but I used to enjoy the XBOX port of Counter Strike. Tried to play Global Offensive, but just can't get into for some reason. Perhaps I've played far too much Call of Duty and Battlefield, that I just can't jump back into the dated mechanics of CS.
I mislike the term dated so much. I see it as more classic, pure form of FPS gaming.

So yeah, I wasn't really in the mood to play casual where other teams can see you while they are dead but man, I definitely need to get used to the maps first before hopping in to competitive.

So yeah, I wasn't really in the mood to play casual where other teams can see you while they are dead but man, I definitely need to get used to the maps first before hopping in to competitive.

Sure they can see you, but it's not like they can talk to the players who are alive on their team and tell them where people are.

Unless you're on PC and using something like Mumble in the background.

twofold

I understand what you're trying to demonstrate, but using bullet hole decals is one of the worst way's to do it in the source engine. If you're on PC, look into setting sv_cheats to 1 and starting up your own listen server. Look up some console commands that'll REALLY show you where the bullets are going.

I don't disagree with what you're saying (don't hammer on the trigger), there's just better ways of showing it :)

Any other cvars apart from sv_showimpact 1? The result seem pretty similar between showimpact and the bullet decals, to be totally honest.

http://i.imgur.com/WnLSK.png

Edit - The deagle's accuracy seems to vary quite a bit when spamming. Sometimes it's accurate - other times it's not. Pretty interesting.

http://imgur.com/a/ZvwPP

Dgott

Banned
Ignoring allvof the vitriol and accusations, I picked up the game for ps3 and after fixing my sensitivity and layout am absolutely loving it. I played 1.6 for a long time and while the console controls are not perfect, the game is definitely worth the investment. I'd say the only thing that is jarring is the fact that the hitboxes have changed. Shots that used to count are now missing. Guess I just need to aim better :S
What sensitivity are you using? Share your setup.

What sensitivity are you using? Share your setup.

I've sort of found my sweet spot at around 55/55 for sensitivity. I like to mix it up mod range so this is not super advisable for close encounters, unless you're walking around and can get clean angles, especially around corners

Square/ reload
Triangle/ alternate fire
X/ jump
Circle/ wildcard, whatever you like

I've got left/he grenade... Right / flashbang.... Up / switch between primary/ secondary... Down / smoke grenade.

L3 is use, which allows access to the menu, bomb refusal, weapon pick ups.
R3 pulls out the knife, for access to the knife :$

L2 I have toggle to duck. lL1 is hold to walk, r1 is fire, r2 is 180 turn which is crucial for this game.

I feel my loadout allows for just about every contingency, the only slots I really feel are under utilized are circle and select which I will work on later. I might make circle weapon switch and give the dpad all of the terrtiary uses, thus freeing up l3 for something else. Just find what works for you :)

Sure they can see you, but it's not like they can talk to the players who are alive on their team and tell them where people are.

Unless you're on PC and using something like Mumble in the background.

They can't? So it's split between the dead players and the living ones on casual? lol Ok that's way better. I just figured everyone could always hear everyone.

They can't? So it's split between the dead players and the living ones on casual? lol Ok that's way better. I just figured everyone could always hear everyone.

If you're dead, you can hear the players who are alive. Players who are alive, however, can't hear dead players.

It's made for some hilarious instances in the two days the game has been out.

eneko

Stop "unloading" bullets, you need to space out your shots more.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You just have to be patient when you have the weaker guns. Pistol and shotgun only when the bots are in firefights with each other. If you fly through the rifle rounds properly, you should have enough room between you and any bots to really take your time. Only the knife round should be really difficult.

Yeah, I got up to level 26/Gold Knife last night in one round (complete fluke, since I generally get killed by level 16) and attempted to knife the bot only to have them turn around and kill me in one go with my low health. RAGE.

Clydefrog

I loved the original CS. Never played CS:S. I LOVE CS:GO!!!! I LOVE IT!! I'M BACK BABY

Original text menus were badass, had that thing memorized. Also kinda upset you can't do left handed model unless I missed something.

cl_righthand 0 in console (assuming you are on PC)

Game is broken on PC atm currently for me. DFS ad playing all the time, even on menus and a message "File blahblah doesn't match the server"

If you're getting the file doesn't match error, you might be trying to join a server that doesn't have the same version that you have. Usually some servers are a bit behind in updating. Did an update recently come out for the PC version? If so that might be the case.

No auto aim is why which means you actually have to aim without anyone holding your hand. Also change the sensitivity to 1.30 on Horizontal and Vertical and the aiming becomes A LOT better.

That probably explains why I blitzed the field with a shotty. Either way, this is clearly a game for a nostalgia trip. A Retro game for ex PC players, no different to Sonic the Hedgehog. I cannot imagine the newer breed of gamer latching onto this unless they havnt experienced whats current in the market.

Can you mod soundeffects? In 1.6 I modded the "Fire in the hole" to a recording of me yelling "AND AWAY IT GOES!"

I'm sure you can, but you probably won't be able to play on servers that have "sv_pure" set to "1" (which is the majority of servers).

That probably explains why I blitzed the field with a shotty. Either way, this is clearly a game for a nostalgia trip. A Retro game for ex PC players, no different to Sonic the Hedgehog. I cannot imagine the newer breed of gamer latching onto this unless they havnt experienced whats current in the market.

I think this is somewhat true. I've had success playing with my one friend who's never played CS before in any fashion. He says he likes the game, but I've heard tons of people (usually they sound younger, go figure) over the mic bitch about how they don't know what to do and they die to fast and they don't know how they died etc. CS is an unforgiving game that unfortunately isn't for some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom