• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
He's making a valid complaint.
It's also a complaint made by someone that is failing to acknowledge the fact at least half the games coming out today on console run at 30FPS.

Some are able to achieve 60FPS, others aren't. It's just how it is on consoles. For whatever reason Valve locked the console versions of CS:GO at 30FPS, I'm sure they have their reasons, saying that they "didn't try" is a really ridiculous thing to say. If it upsets you that much there's always the PC.

It's a complaint that has truth to it but it's also being naive in a way.

30fps is a pretty big deal in a game determined by fast reflexes and precision.

You're playing on the wrong platform for more than one reason.

It's also a complaint made by someone that is failing to acknowledge the fact at least half the games coming out today on console run at 30FPS.

Some are able to achieve 60FPS, others aren't. It's just how it is on consoles. For whatever reason Valve locked the consoles versions of CS:GO at 30FPS, I'm sure they have their reasons, saying that they "didn't try" is a really ridiculous thing to say. If it upsets you that much there's always the PC.

It's a complaint that has truth to it but it's also being naive in a way.

The only time I've seen performance problems on the console version is during arms race. The small maps and hectic playtype really take a toll on my poor 360.

It really doesn't matter to me though, because I'll be playing REAL CS (Demo/Hostage) 99% of the time.

pompidu

is that a feature

i thought the game was lagging trying to register hits. horrible
I just want to know if I'm the only person experiencing it. It is so annoying.

And I'm making a valid point. Don't let something as silly as 30/60FPS stop you from having fun in a game. Unless you get some sort of real-life motion sickness, it's really not that big of a deal.

Playing this on 360 is pretty hilarious. There are very clearly two types of people on 360: those who have played CS for years and know exactly what to do, and those who have no idea what the fuck is going on. Usually there's 2-3 people in the former in each game, and the rest are complete scrubs. The idea that there are no unlockable weapons or artificial "carrot on a stick" gameplay limitations (you have to reach level 30 to unlock the FAMAS!) seems to blow some peoples minds.

It's awesome.
For most people 30fps is fine, for the hardcore it is not.

Mahonay

Banned
The only time I've seen performance problems on the console version is during arms race. The small maps and hectic playtype really take a toll on my poor 360.

It really doesn't matter to me though, because I'll be playing REAL CS (Demo/Hostage) 99% of the time.
Same here, I haven't even played a game of Arms Race yet.

Same here, I haven't even played a game of Arms Race yet.

Playing it, it's very clear that CS is extremely good at one thing: being CS. It hasn't changed in ~12 years, for better or worse. Personally I like it, but the gameplay just doesn't translate to something like Arms Race IMO.

Plus the games in CS are so short that you really don't need another game mode for the "I just want to kill 15 minutes" crowd. Regular games only take like 15 minutes anyway.

KingKong

Playing it, it's very clear that CS is extremely good at one thing: being CS. It hasn't changed in ~12 years, for better or worse. Personally I like it, but the gameplay just doesn't translate to something like Arms Race IMO.

Plus the games in CS are so short that you really don't need another game mode for the "I just want to kill 15 minutes" crowd. Regular games only take like 15 minutes anyway.

uhh what? It's deathmatch gungame, people have been running it in 1.6 and Source for years. of course they've actually made good maps for it and not whatever the fuck Valve came up with

Mahonay

Banned
uhh what? It's deathmatch gungame, people have been running it in 1.6 and Source for years. of course they've actually made good maps for it and not whatever the fuck Valve came up with
Yep. I find it kind of weird that this is what they decided to do with the packed-in version of it. Seems like kind of a miss. Oh well.

Zia

I like the new GunGame maps. There was a small handful of decent community maps, but if you just wanted to go through the rotation you often had to play through those sprawling, untextured mazes, or aim_map/deagle/whatever reskins.

Demolition is really neat, by the way. Barely touched it in beta and I wish I had.

KingKong

I like the new GunGame maps. There was a small handful of decent community maps, but if you just wanted to go through the rotation you often had to play through those sprawling, untextured mazes, or aim_map/deagle/whatever reskins.

Demolition is really neat, by the way. Barely touched it in beta and I wish I had.

My problem with arms race maps is that they're way too small, you just spawn and run forward and shoot. The community maps are sorta maze-like so people can run around on the edges and you at least have a chance of getting a streak going

Zia

My problem with arms race maps is that they're way too small, you just spawn and run forward and shoot. The community maps are sorta maze-like so people can run around on the edges and you at least have a chance of getting a streak going

That's true. Two is pretty slim anyway, so hopefully they'll add another couple soon.

Think about it dude. Does a game running at 30FPS really ruin your day? Or make you want to not play a game altogether?

If the answer to those questions are "yes", you might want to re-evaluate your priorities.
I expect a game that ran at 60FPS on 500Mhz single-core Athlons and Pentiums with 128MB of RAM and a Voodoo 3/GeForce 256 at 800x600 in 1999 to run at least as well on X360 and PS3 at 720p in 2012. It's simply not an unreasonable thing to expect a minimum of important performance characteristics to be met, ones long-held and widely-acknowledged as extremely important to competitive play as ping and netcode quality are. Did it ruin my day, dude? Nah. It just surprised me how lazy Valve are with these console versions. Or, looking at it another way, I'm surprised that Valve decided to prioritize very fleeting visual quality over tangible value to highly competitive gameplay...something that CS is renowned for. If you enjoy it and have no complaints, then by all means, enjoy it and complain about the complainer. Don't worry, man, I don't want you to think I'm speaking for you if you felt you needed to put me in my place because I was whining and you weren't.

It was great in 1.6, because of the larger maps and smaller player models. Source was bad because of the larger player models, but at least the maps were Ok. It's just downright terrible in GO because the maps are now way to small and the players models are still huge. The smaller maps in GO almost force you to adopt a Run n Gun playstyle on consoles, and that's really where things fall apart. There is no way you can just walk along and pick off a target on, say, Baggage like you can on Nuke. The maps feel incredibly cramped even when it's 5v5.

yes and yes

forget the pc, there are other options on the same platform that perform better and look better. whats the excuse?

Gameplay. Gameplay trumps everything.

rCIZZLE

And I'm making a valid point. Don't let something as silly as 30/60FPS stop you from having fun in a game. Unless you get some sort of real-life motion sickness, it's really not that big of a deal.

Playing this on 360 is pretty hilarious. There are very clearly two types of people on 360: those who have played CS for years and know exactly what to do, and those who have no idea what the fuck is going on. Usually there's 2-3 people in the former in each game, and the rest are complete scrubs. The idea that there are no unlockable weapons or artificial "carrot on a stick" gameplay limitations (you have to reach level 30 to unlock the FAMAS!) seems to blow some peoples minds.

It's awesome.

No, you were aggressively attacking his opinion. CS isn't supposed to be played at 30fps as it makes controlling spray that much harder. The console version is already slow enough with no aim assist.

Dude, almost everybody playing CS is a scrub. Legitmately good players are few and far between and probably none of them are on gaf yet I keep seeing this elitist attitude around here.

His opinion, which is the one generally agreed upon, is that cs isn't meant to be played at 30fps. 60fps is a lot more appropriate and I don't see why they couldn't achieve that.

Mahonay

Banned
His opinion, which is the one generally agreed upon, is that cs isn't meant to be played at 30fps. 60fps is a lot more appropriate and I don't see why they couldn't achieve that.
Agreed upon by PC players.

I play games primarily on console. I'm having a lot of fun with it. IT'S FINE.

No, you were aggressively attacking his opinion. CS isn't supposed to be played at 30fps as it makes controlling spray that much harder. The console version is already slow enough with no aim assist.

Dude, almost everybody playing CS is a scrub. Legitmately good players are few and far between and probably none of them are on gaf yet I keep seeing this elitist attitude around here.

Point out in my post where I said the 2-3 people who knew exactly what to do (plant/defuse a bomb and know where the bomb sites are, buy guns) are "legitimately good players". They don't have to be good to know what to do. They just aren't completely lost in then dark like the others.

30fps is fine on console when everyone else is locked into the same thing. People are acting like it's a slideshow. All I'm saying is people shouldn't let it ruin the game for them. People have been playing CS since the 320x240 software renderer days.

so being slow, sluggish and jittery at 30 fps somehow enhances this game. ok

Gameplay is enough to trump any graphics or performance problems. Please point out where I said those graphics/performance problems enhanced the gameplay. I didn't, I said the gameplay was good enough to overcome those issues.

pompidu

Your absolutely right, it is fine. Myself personally cannot play this game with a controller and 30fps. Just keep having fun because thats what counts!

I couldn't care less about fps. Im having fun with the game as it is.

Some people need to either enjoy the game or go play it on PC.

Lifes too short to sit around whining all day, go play it and have fun!!

eot

Banned
30fps is fine on console when everyone else is locked into the same thing. People are acting like it's a slideshow. All I'm saying is people shouldn't let it ruin the game for them. People have been playing CS since the 320x240 software renderer days.

You know I actually tried to play the HL demo in that resolution with the software renderer and it was horrible. I doubt anyone played CS like that. Even back in '99 people were reaching for 125 fps in Quake 3 to jump higher and in the classic CS having 100 fps was really important for aiming and recoil control.

did you play CS on pc before?

if you did you wouldnt say such wrong statements. playing that game at smooth 60 and then playing it at a chugging barely 30 rate where one shot can kill you is horrible and ruins the game

Yes. I've been playing CS on PC off and on since ~2001.

You know I actually tried to play the HL demo in that resolution with the software renderer and it was horrible. I doubt anyone played CS like that. Even back in '99 people were reaching for 125 fps in Quake 3 to jump higher and in the classic CS having 100 fps was really important for aiming and recoil control.

Oh there were (I was one of them).

It wasn't 320x240, that was just hyperbole. 640x480 at anywhere from 20-30fps was what I played CS on until 2003 when I got my own PC finally hooked up to the internet.

3dfx was the bees knees back then. 640x480 opengl was pretty common by the time half-life came out.

solidus51

Banned
I have more of a hard time burst firing. When I spray the m4 I get accurate shots. Well both bursting and spraying work for me. Oh I'm on ps3.

Question does the ps3 version matter in this argument since it uses both mouth and keyboard?

I have more of a hard time burst firing. When I spray the m4 I get accurate shots. Well both bursting and spraying work for me. Oh I'm on ps3.

Question does the ps3 version matter in this argument since it uses both mouth and keyboard?

The M4 is more accurate than the AK when spraying, so maybe that's what you're seeing.

rCIZZLE

It's a PC game ported to console. The 30fps games on console were designed for that. Recoil is simply harder to control in low frame rate.

You guys take criticisms as if we're attacking the entire game. Sure, it's "fine" but it should have been better.

Point out in my post where I said the 2-3 people who knew exactly what to do (plant/defuse a bomb and know where the bomb sites are, buy guns) are "legitimately good players". They don't have to be good to know what to do. They just aren't completely lost in then dark like the others.

If that's all it takes to be considered knowing what they're doing then everybody will know what they're doing in a few days. There aren't a whole lot of maps to learn and planting/defusing is pretty simple objective concepts.

30fps, like no aim assist, gimps the pace of the game. If you've really been playing since 2001 like you claim then you'd understand why higher low fps is a complaint.

It's a PC game ported to console. The 30fps games on console were designed for that. Recoil is simply harder to control in low frame rate.

You guys take criticisms as if we're attacking the entire game. Sure, it's "fine" but it should have been better.

If that's all it takes to be considered knowing what they're doing then everybody will know what they're doing in a few days. There aren't a whole lot of maps to learn and planting/defusing is pretty simple objective concepts.

30fps, like no aim assist, gimps the pace of the game. If you've really been playing since 2001 like you claim then you'd understand why higher low fps is a complaint.

Again, I understood it was a complaint. My argument was that it shouldn't totally ruin the game for anyone. I understand that 60fps would make it better, but it's not like the game is an unplayable unfun piece of shit as it stands right now (besides the matchmaking with friends. Fix that shit Valve/Hidden Path).

Kinda surprised there's no metatag for the 360 version. I wanted to play with some people so they can tell me how horrible and wrong my opinions are and why I'm a horribly wrong jerk :D

scoobs

Any avid 1.6 fans agree with me that this is a MILLION times better than cs:source? I honestly think I can play this as a replacement, it is more fun.

Mahonay

Banned
Again, I understood it was a complaint. My argument was that it shouldn't totally ruin the game for anyone. I understand that 60fps would make it better, but it's not like the game is an unplayable unfun piece of shit as it stands right now (besides the matchmaking with friends. Fix that shit Valve/Hidden Path).
That's what I'm trying to get at as well.

It's still a fun game at 30FPS. The end.

I'm not taking the criticism personally, I just can't agree that it's a big deal as some in here are making it out to be. Maybe I'm just used to the ghetto that is gaming on the Xbox 360 in 2012.

Any avid 1.6 fans agree with me that this is a MILLION times better than cs:source? I honestly think I can play this as a replacement, it is more fun.
From the time I've spent with CS Source I definitely like GO better. Just kind of has that incredible "feel" that 1.6 had.

spk

Soo are the new xhair options Classic Static and Classic Dynamic? Static isn't working for me. It's still expanding with movement

It's even harder to tell what I'm hitting when it gets so wide during fire and it's not really any better than the debug command that was already in the game

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Soo are the new xhair options Classic Static and Classic Dynamic? Static isn't working for me. It's still expanding with movement

It's even harder to tell what I'm hitting when it gets so wide during fire and it's not really any better than the debug command that was already in the game

Didn't they patch in a classic hybrid option? It isn't on the PS3 version with that 1.01 patch, but there was talk about it for the PC version?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

It's waaay ahead of Source, but the new voices are still terribad. :(

rCIZZLE

Kinda surprised there's no metatag for the 360 version. I wanted to play with some people so they can tell me how horrible and wrong my opinions are and why I'm a horribly wrong jerk :D

Go back and read what he said then read your response. He shared a complaint that many of us share and you overreacted.

60fps would make the game on console a lot better. Type "fps_max 30" in GO/1.6 and tell me it doesn't bother you. (assuming you can get at least steady 60 in each)

That's what I'm trying to get at as well.

It's still a fun game at 30FPS. The end.

I'm not taking the criticism personally, I just can't agree that it's a big deal as some in here are making it out to be. Maybe I'm just used to the ghetto that is gaming on the Xbox 360 in 2012.

That's an opinion and you too should try fps_max 30.

Mahonay

Banned
That's an opinion and you too should try fps_max 30.
What? That's not going to change my opinion of my experience on the 360 so far. I guess that's fine if 30FPS worsens your experience, but for me personally it doesn't.

60FPS will always be better, but that's not what we got. No amount of complaining will change that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Less complaining about the frame rate (which isn't a huge deal) more complaining about the bullshit no death in gun game/gun mastery/arms race/whatever you want to call it achievement. TOTAL BULLSHIT. I FUCKING HATE YOU VALVE. >:I

Get up to like level 6-12 and I'm like 10 health left. I CAN'T DO IT. HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT WITHOUT THEM FIRING ON YOU. D:

Less complaining about the frame rate (which isn't a huge deal) more complaining about the bullshit no death in gun game/gun mastery/arms race/whatever you want to call it achievement. TOTAL BULLSHIT. I FUCKING HATE YOU VALVE. >:I

Get up to like level 6-12 and I'm like 10 health left. I CAN'T DO IT. HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT WITHOUT THEM FIRING ON YOU. D:
camp. bots can be pretty dumb if you exploit the shit out of their ai. despite being a "race", you have like a million years before any bot will compete for the winning spot. just take your time and if you're really having trouble with getting killed, then use your teamates as decoys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom