• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zia

Less complaining about the frame rate (which isn't a huge deal) more complaining about the bullshit no death in gun game/gun mastery/arms race/whatever you want to call it achievement. TOTAL BULLSHIT. I FUCKING HATE YOU VALVE. >:I

Get up to like level 6-12 and I'm like 10 health left. I CAN'T DO IT. HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT WITHOUT THEM FIRING ON YOU. D:

You just have to be patient when you have the weaker guns. Pistol and shotgun only when the bots are in firefights with each other. If you fly through the rifle rounds properly, you should have enough room between you and any bots to really take your time. Only the knife round should be really difficult.

Wow even playing against bots in a private match, you have to do the in game chat and not private chat or party chat. Lame.

Also what's super lame is that you can't choose bot difficulty online, again, even in private matches.

rCIZZLE

What? That's not going to change my opinion of my experience on the 360 so far. I guess that's fine if 30FPS worsens your experience, but for me personally it doesn't.

60FPS will always be better, but that's not what we got. No amount of complaining will change that.

Saying "it's fun. the end" is an opinion.

Set fps_max 101 on PC for a few rounds then try fps_max 30. I can't imagine you don't think it's a downgrade at all.

And no amount of yelling at complainers will change their opinion. If you don't agree then move on. No need to attack them as if it's an unreasonable complaint.

Mahonay

Banned
Saying "it's fun. the end" is an opinion.

Set fps_max 101 on PC for a few rounds then try fps_max 30. I can't imagine you don't think it's a downgrade at all.

And no amount of yelling at complainers will change their opinion. If you don't agree then move on. No need to attack them as if it's an unreasonable complaint.
My intent is not to attack anyone. Just speaking to the reality of the situation. I can't help but try to make a response when you're comparing the FPS you get on a PC to what you get on a console. That's like comparing Mike Tyson's right hand to Michael Cera's right hand.

Veezy

que?
My intent is not to attack anyone. Just speaking to the reality of the situation. I can't help but try to make a response when you're comparing the FPS you get on a PC to what you get on a console. That's like comparing Mike Tyson's right hand to Michael Cera's right hand.

Oh, come on. There's no need to go so low as to bring Michael Cera into this. Poor boy has it hard enough with that adorable shy grin and the inability to grow a beard. Now we're raging on his punching skills?!

I get what you're saying. It really is a bummer for, especially PS3 folks, that they couldn't get 60 FPS but it is what it is.

I really fucking hope that next gen 60 fps for shooters/action games and no dipping below 30 is standard for everything.

rCIZZLE

It's a PC game ported to console. Even if 30 fps is standard for console games, this wasn't made with that in mind. If you can't compare the performance of the same game on different platforms and how that effects gameplay then what can you compare? Not an unreasonable complaint by any stretch.

Mahonay

Banned
I get what you're saying. It really is a bummer for, especially PS3 folks, that they couldn't get 60 FPS but it is what it is.
Yep, I will say they should have been able to get 60FPS out of the PS3 for sure.
It's a PC game ported to console. Even if 30 fps is standard for console games, this wasn't made with that in mind. If you can't compare the performance of the same game on different platforms and how that effects gameplay then what can you compare?
To other experiences you have on that same platform.

If I was a PC gamer, I'd absolutely play CS:GO there and wouldn't touch the console versions. No contest.

rCIZZLE

To other experiences you have on that same platform.

If I was a PC gamer, I'd absolutely play CS:GO there and wouldn't touch the console versions. No contest.

Comparing console CS to PC CS is a valid comparison. It's just showing what it is vs what it could be. Comparing a game developed for the platform vs a port is a lot harder to do.

I don't understand how they couldn't get 60fps out of an 8 year old engine.

edit: 30fps, along with no aim assist and the apparently garbage servers, is why I didn't pick up the console version.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Comparing console CS to PC CS is a valid comparison. It's just showing what it is vs what it could be. Comparing a game developed for the platform vs a port is a lot harder to do.

I don't understand how they couldn't get 60fps out of an 8 year old engine.
Source wasn't made with the consoles in mind and it was probably a pain to port there. The situation is better now than the Orange Box launch but the PS3 especially still struggles to even keep a steady 30fps. 5th Cell managed to get 60fps in Source on the 360 but they designed their whole game around it.

30fps alone isn't going to make a game unplayable or unfun. I know that Goldeneye 64 was well under that most of the time. But CS is about speed and precision and a lot of that is lost when you cut the bandwidth for motion in half. So it's a different experience, and one that is far more pedestrian. When IW ported CoD4 it was obvious that they did everything they could to preserve the fast pace of the PC experience.

The notion that FPS games are rarely 60FPS on consoles is almost good enough-sounding to let sit and be...except that the number one-selling FPS franchise in the world for the past five years happens to sell the vast majority of its copies on consoles, looks and sounds a great deal better than CS: GO, and strives for and attains a 60FPS performance more than 90% of the time in all modes, single-player or multiplayer. As well, almost all major sports titles (Madden, FIFA, NBA), all 2D and 3D fighters (Tekken, VF, SC, SF), action-adventure BEUs (DMC4, Bayonetta) run at 60FPS on consoles as do complex (under the hood) racing games (GT, Burnout, Forza, Driver SF). Then there are all of the impressive odds and ends, like Trials HD & Evolution, Minecraft X360, Hybrid, Pinball Arcade & Zen/Pinball FX...all at 60FPS (and almost all at) 720p despite being on consoles.

CS: GO on consoles is lazy, not bad. I never said I couldn't enjoy it, only that it was something so critical to what CS is over the past decade on PCs that I expected it as default simply because this ancient, two-generations old PC game is barely pushing the current console hardware yet so many other titles manage to hit that framerate regularly and look better and have more complex shit happening on- and off-screen. Maybe I expect more from highly-experienced developers who are rehashing twelve-year-old shit and asking a pretty penny for it.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Source wasn't made with the consoles in mind and it was probably a pain to port there. The situation is better now than the Orange Box launch but the PS3 especially still struggles to even keep a steady 30fps. 5th Cell managed to get 60fps in Source on the 360 but they designed their whole game around it.

30fps alone isn't going to make a game unplayable or unfun. I know that Goldeneye 64 was well under that most of the time. But CS is about speed and precision and a lot of that is lost when you cut the bandwidth for motion in half. So it's a different experience, and one that is far more pedestrian. When IW ported CoD4 it was obvious that they did everything they could to preserve the fast pace of the PC experience.

You don't want a source engine game at 30fps and for the record I'm agreeing with you. Tons of people have left youtube videos showing what happens to recoil in cs at varying different fps. Sad to think they can't make source run on consoles like you can easily max it even on some low end machines.

Also FPS is huge in a ticrate based game like CS, disagreeing otherwise shows some didn't bother to look around it's source or 1.6 communities. Lower tics and lower fps make for a garbage feel in aim period.

Ran into my first set of assholes on PS3. Guy shot me once on purpose so i gave him a little love tap back so he tries to kick me. I ran the team with a 6-0 but he kept trying to kick me and my friend. I got tired of his talking so I used my sawn off next round and shot him in the head for an autokick. Felt great. lol

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I really don't understand this game sometimes. I shot 7 deagle rounds into this guy at midrange, crouched and even letting the crosshair reset between each shot and not one hit. I haven't played CS in 8 years so I'm willing to believe I've just gotten bad, but things like that make zero sense to me. I mean, what could I have been doing wrong there?

I really don't understand this game sometimes. I shot 7 deagle rounds into this guy at midrange, crouched and even letting the crosshair reset between each shot and not one hit. I haven't played CS in 8 years so I'm willing to believe I've just gotten bad, but things like that make zero sense to me. I mean, what could I have been doing wrong there?

He may have been wearing Kevlar try headshots.

Edit: Or.. who knows, it might be bullshit.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!

Yeah, I've experienced many WTF moments like this. There are times in the game where it feels like no matter how much effort you put into it, the outcome is totally random.

I score more kills shooting carelessly than doing the whole crouch/aim/short bursts thing.

Playing on PS3 with the Move btw. Got my fair share of MVPs with it.

Edit: Or.. who knows, it might be bullshit.

I swear sometimes bullets don't seem to connect. In one match I had this chance for an easy kill: stationary target few feet away from me, standing still, back to me. I start shooting at his ass, small bursts, up-recoil sending bullets across his spine... and then he turns and kills me. I take a look at his life bar in the snapshot: 100%.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Could be your rates. 8 years ago cs didn't have the interpolation settings source and this game do. Adjust that and you should find something more similar to what you remember. If you're a console though you're SOL.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Is anyone else having problems getting their config to work? I'm trying to set buy binds and some other commands yet nothing seems to work. Followed what's been said in the thread and still can't get anything to work properly. I can get the echo to work saying the config was executed but every time my buy binds and any other command I set fail to work. The one time I did get buy binds to work, they somehow ended up in my regular config file.

twofold

You have to tap with every weapon. If you just bash the shoot button with the deagle it's very inaccurate.

The best thing to do is to go into an empty server and spend some time shooting weapons at a wall. Watch how the accuracy changes depending on whether you spam or tap - it's pretty ridiculous.

luffeN

Oh those sneaky bastards. The new crosshair option accounts the spread, but just the one from the movement... Fail.
You have to tap with every weapon. If you just bash the shoot button with the deagle it's very inaccurate.

The best thing to do is to go into an empty server and spend some time shooting weapons at a wall. Watch how the accuracy changes depending on whether you spam or tap - it's pretty ridiculous.
There are still random scenes where for example one guy was running backwards spraying with AK and gave me a headshot. I was crouching and spraying and didn't hit him once. Sure, that's luck in that case, but too often I find myself killed buy a guy rushing / strafing by.

Is anyone else having problems getting their config to work? I'm trying to set buy binds and some other commands yet nothing seems to work. Followed what's been said in the thread and still can't get anything to work properly. I can get the echo to work saying the config was executed but every time my buy binds and any other command I set fail to work. The one time I did get buy binds to work, they somehow ended up in my regular config file.
Just to be sure; did you create a file called autoexec.cfg and put it in the right folder? You then don't have to write "exec autoexec.cfg" in the config file, it does that automatically.

twofold

There are still random scenes where for example one guy was running backwards spraying with AK and gave me a headshot. I was crouching and spraying and didn't hit him once. Sure, that's luck in that case, but too often I find myself killed buy a guy rushing / strafing by.

That's just how CS is. It adds tension to the game knowing that anyone can kill you. The better player will still come out on top in the vast majority of situations.

Instead of crouching and spraying, strafe and tap. It works a lot better.

If you're at close range, spray while forcing the crosshair down. Aim for the crotch and chances are you'll end up headshotting them.

OG Kush

Anyone else find the HUD really clutered? Theres so many unnecessary things on screen. Playing on a 15" screen is hard enough, now I got all this crazy shit in the way. Simple and elegent like 1.6 please!

Anyone else find the HUD really clutered? Theres so many unnecessary things on screen. Playing on a 15" screen is hard enough, now I got all this crazy shit in the way. Simple and elegent like 1.6 please!

What platform? There's an option to change the size of the HUD elements.

lionelhutz

I don't mind the HUD, but the new Buy menu is taking some time to adjust to. I miss the original CS menus.

Tried this on 360. I'm not sure how this game is not running at 60fps with such static and basic gfx. it feels stiff and imprecise, going back into a COD game straight after feels like a razor blade or finely tuned super car. An obvious reason why COD is such a mainstay.

I cannot recommend this, feels extremely dated.

CoolS

People were campaigning really hard for that one.

I'm kind of surprised nobody else in here talked about it. Haven't tried it ingame yet, how does the tagging feel?

Yes, I felt like that in the beginning as well, but the HUD scaling option works wonders for that.
Where are the Europeans in the thread?

I'm tempted to buy a server for us to jam on.
Anything new on that? Or did I miss it?

wwm0nkey

Tried this on 360. I'm not sure how this game is not running at 60fps with such static and basic gfx. it feels stiff and imprecise, going back into a COD game straight after feels like a razor blade or finely tuned super car. An obvious reason why COD is such a mainstay.

I cannot recommend this, feels extremely dated.

No auto aim is why which means you actually have to aim without anyone holding your hand. Also change the sensitivity to 1.30 on Horizontal and Vertical and the aiming becomes A LOT better.

.la1n

No auto aim is why which means you actually have to aim without anyone holding your hand. Also change the sensitivity to 1.30 on Horizontal and Vertical and the aiming becomes A LOT better.

What this man said. I am no expert when it comes to FPS in video games but going from my PC to PS3 and vice versa has had no jarring effects on playing the game. I notice some graphical difference but that is about it. No more than the game seems to be pushing I see no reason it couldn't be 60fps on PS3 to appease people.

Either way, it's fun as hell and I love playing it. I hope it gets patched at least close to as regularly as the PC version.

pompidu

What this man said. I am no expert when it comes to FPS in video games but going from my PC to PS3 and vice versa has had no jarring effects on playing the game. I notice some graphical difference but that is about it. No more than the game seems to be pushing I see no reason it couldn't be 60fps on PS3 to appease people.

Either way, it's fun as hell and I love playing it. I hope it gets patched at least close to as regularly as the PC version.
The steam engine doesn't translate well to consoles. It was never gonna get to 60fps on either console.

The console version is just fine with couple of fixes. Like matchmaking, and fixing that jittering mess what the game sometimes can be.

I'm not sure why do people argue against 30/60 fps because certainly the inner calculations in the engine reflect to the frame rate. You still have your eyes, don't you? If you can't hit anything in 30fps surely 60fps doesn't help to hit you any more than that, or being 'more precise'... It's just an illusion.

(clearly PC is the platform of choice for this, but I don't want to touch another PC/keyboard/mouse after working for 8-12 hours every day with them in the first place)

After you die you can hit '~' to see the console, it will tell you who you shot, how many times you shot them, and how many times they shot you. I started doing that after every death when I was playing CSS and I realized that there were a bunch of times where I had put like 9 bullets into someone and done 75 damage. I basically always aim for the head now.

A few things here and there I don't like, but could see myself playing this quite a bit. Haven't really played enough to get a feel of how balanced it is but I still very much like the feel of it. Also having a hard time with the buy menu, will have to do some bindings.

Rad-

I find it very hard to "burst -> strafe -> burst -> strafe etc." on consoles. Am I the only one or is this impossible with a controller? I feel like the best way to play the console version is to crouch constantly but that doesn't feel like CS to me.

Dgott

Banned
Question:

If everyone keeps crying "I want 1.6!", why don't they go play 1.6 instead of cluttering this thread up with useless 1.6 posts? This isn't 1.6, this is CounterStrike GO!

I find it very hard to "burst -> strafe -> burst -> strafe etc." on consoles. Am I the only one or is this impossible with a controller? I feel like the best way to play the console version is to crouch constantly but that doesn't feel like CS to me.
turn your sensitivity up? on the default low sensitivity settings, i found it hard for the crosshair speed to keep up with the movement speed.

KingKong

Question:

If everyone keeps crying "I want 1.6!", why don't they go play 1.6 instead of cluttering this thread up with useless 1.6 posts? This isn't 1.6, this is CounterStrike GO!

The devs are obviously trying to make this game like 1.6 considering they just added tagging and flinching, two major things that were missing from CSS, but 1.6 is still dominating so...

HSYKQ.png

Dgott

Banned
The devs are obviously trying to make this game like 1.6 considering they just added tagging and flinching, two major things that were missing from CSS, but 1.6 is still dominating so...

HSYKQ.png

Not on consoles it isn't. Lol

Reminds me of when Socom 3 came out, eveyone one was screaming "I want Socom 2!".... People don't adapt anymore, which is why sometimes you end up playing the same map over and over and over and over and over.

KingKong

Not on consoles it isn't. Lol

Reminds me of when Socom 3 came out, eveyone one was screaming "I want Socom 2!".... People don't adapt anymore, which is why sometimes you end up playing the same map over and over and over and over and over.

Well if Valve would have made new maps...I mean, even diehard 1.6 players would rather play new maps or at least cpl map remakes rather than aztec or dust

spootime

Question:

Oh boy, haven't seen this post before.

There's still things 1.6 does better that would make cs:go a better game. A lot of the best updates simply been adding things that are 1.6 elements of gameplay (ex: tagging and flinching, movement, recoil.) Why would you not strive to emulate the mechanically perfect and most successful team based shooter of all time.

That being said, its very cool how much CS:GO has improved over the last few months. I haven't bought the game yet so I still need to try the flinching/tagging stuff, but I have a feeling it will solve my main issue I had with the game, which was people running sideways mid-close range holding down fire on their m4's/p90's. I'll probably buy it tonight/tomorrow.

This has bothered me a bit also. Just make the gun selection on the right hand side go away when not switching weapons...or at least give me an option to turn it on/off. I bought all my guns/grenades, I think I know what I have. (This only applies to the console version)

CoolS

This has bothered me a bit also. Just make the gun selection on the right hand side go away when not switching weapons...or at least give me an option to turn it on/off. I bought all my guns/grenades, I think I know what I have. (This only applies to the console version)

PC version has the option to disable that. That would suck if the console version didn't have that.

haikira

Could someone be kind enough to explain what tagging and flinching is, to someone not in the know? Guessing flinching is what it sounds and your aim is effected by getting shot?

Cheers.

ch0mp

Could someone be kind enough to explain what tagging and flinching is, to someone not in the know? Guessing flinching is what it sounds and your aim is effected by getting shot?

Cheers.
Yes, and tagging effectively stuns people when they get hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom