• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

man this is a real bummer. I had a pretty awesome game on nuke where we lost 14-16 but one person left and we were stuck with a bot that went 1-14 (and that kill was when someone controlled him) and almost always died way before us for a half

Yeah, I'm blown away by how detrimental this queuing system is compared to the old "join in progress" method previously used. Previously, if one side was getting slaughtered those players would slowly leave, and new ones would trickle in. Sure, team members would change throughout the match, but at least there was a chance for a more even playing field to develop with new players joining. With 100 hours of CS: GO under my belt, I can say classic competitive was a generally consistent experience despite the changing players mid-match.

Now, when players leave they can't be easily replaced. If there's an impatient/poor player on a team and he leaves, it's like a domino effect. Everyone knows that bot won't be replaced, so another guy leaves, and then another guy. The 30 minute "ban" is meaningless, because people still play with their old habits of dropping in and out of games, looking for more even competition. My friends and I played a few games last night and every match ended with a ridiculous score like 10 - 0, and the match would just stop because there weren't enough actual players on the other team.

Right now, we're waiting 4-5 minutes to play a game that will end prematurely with all bots on the opposing team. I expect once the ELO matchmaking system kicks in, games will start at a more even skill level and fewer people will leave, but right now it's really bad. When a player leaves it affects everyone else more than the person who left, and it didn't used to be that way.

Yeah, I'm blown away by how detrimental this queuing system is compared to the old "join in progress" method previously used. Previously, if one side was getting slaughtered those players would slowly leave, and new ones would trickle in. Sure, team members would change throughout the match, but at least there was a chance for a more even playing field to develop with new players joining. With 100 hours of CS: GO under my belt, I can say classic competitive was a generally consistent experience despite the changing players mid-match.

Now, when players leave they can't be easily replaced. If there's an impatient/poor player on a team and he leaves, it's like a domino effect. Everyone knows that bot won't be replaced, so another guy leaves, and then another guy. The 30 minute "ban" is meaningless, because people still play with their old habits of dropping in and out of games, looking for more even competition. My friends and I played a few games last night and every match ended with a ridiculous score like 10 - 0, and the match would just stop because there weren't enough actual players on the other team.

Right now, we're waiting 4-5 minutes to play a game that will end prematurely with all bots on the opposing team. I expect once the ELO matchmaking system kicks in, games will start at a more even skill level and fewer people will leave, but right now it's really bad. When a player leaves it affects everyone else more than the person who left, and it didn't used to be that way.

Oh god, time bans.....cause that worked so well with the Halo Reach quitters.... I haven't played a game with a full team in that one in AGES. Im very surprised that ANYONE would take such a horrible system like that and actually think to themselves, "hey this is good".

Queue is better than before, but not perfect. They should also add a get in-get out copy of previous system. They need to add a 'vote to resign match' when games are clearly over

Day after update, update.
Release Notes for 10/3/2012

[ Minor Fixes ]

Matchmaking
-Added a vote to continue playing competitive match with bots after a human player abandons the match, unanimous agreement of remaining human players is required to continue playing with bots.
-Reduced time required for confirming match when searching for competitive players and servers.
-Improved overall search times in competitive queue mode.
-Added a client message when the wamup period ends.
-Extended competitive match warmup period to 90 seconds.
-Message of the day will automatically dismiss itself when competitive match starts.
-Added an explanation to competitive cooldown timer for clients.
-Added a condition to apply competitive cooldown to players who have disconnected from the match.
-Implemented scaling cooldown periods for repeat incidences.

Vertigo
-Rearranged props below the boost-up ladder to prevent players jumping onto the ladder without boosting
-Clipped off various tiny ledges
-Made small props protruding from walls non-solid
-Fixed visible nodraw in ceiling hole

Misc
-Fixed a long standing bug where you could lose mouse input when you got to the team select screen.
-Fixed a bug where the color correction during freeze time did not account for the players also being invulnerable during the new warmup - this fixed the CC gap at the start.
-Fixed some bugs relating to the warmup notification not reliably showing for late joiners.
-The chat now displays when the warmup has ended, just like when it is in progress.

pants

still no word of this on EU PS3 PSN :(

I didnt want to wait so I bought it on US PSN. I own the game both on PC and PS3 (I figured I could play on PS3 when especially tired and I didnt want to boot up my PC) but believe me the console version is so not worth it :/

KingKong

I'm starting to think that these devs are "special".

One person voting no or not voting dissolves the entire match? I haven't had a game last even a half because a person always leaves in the first few rounds and one guy doesnt vote or votes no and its back to the menu to spend 5 minutes matchmaking to another game

The old system was working fine, it just didnt matchmake people by ELO. What the fuck are they doing

pants

got a error 55 going on right now for pc version.

I got that about an hour after your post, I tried to update my steam client --> no update, reboot my pc, started up steam and there *gasp* was an update. That seems to have fixed it :)

Kalnos

Banned
Just tried 3 different games and all of them ended because of a rage quitter, high ping leaver, or just a random leaver within 2-3 rounds.

This is literally the dumbest system I have ever played in. One vote to end the game is so dumb.

The cool downs are 5 min for first abandon, then 30 min, 2hr, 24hr, one week.

^Also, these are the penalties in order for leaving a game.

TheExodu5

Banned
If the ranking system works it shouldn't really be a big deal. Same shit goes in Dota 2 with early low-ranked matches. Once people start caring about their permanent stats and leave %, they'll stick around.

Don't know about the vote though. Haven't actually tried the new system.

snack

I haven't played this in about a month until today. Played competitive mode, and there was a damn vote every few minutes whenever a bot left. WTF it this...

Kalnos

Banned
Don't know about the vote though. Haven't actually tried the new system.

If someone leaves the game and doesn't reconnect within 2 minutes then there's a vote to end the game. If *one* person votes to stop the game then it ends the game.

It's completely ridiculous.

I've just reinstalled this. Have they done something to the pc version? People look smaller?

Didn't even bother to venture onto competitive, just stuck with casual.

TheExodu5

Banned
If someone leaves the game and doesn't reconnect within 2 minutes then there's a vote to end the game. If *one* person votes to stop the game then it ends the game.

It's completely ridiculous.

That's kind of insane.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but it should probably resemble Dota 2's setup as best as possible. Continue with bots even if someone leaves. Don't give players the option to abandon the game.

Brings match statistics and ranking to the forefront of competitive. Make it clear that leaving a competitive game is a huge no-no, and impose large penalties for doing so.

On a positive note: despite competitive being basically broken, the matchmaking is really, really good for finding a good server now. Prior to the patch, I was getting put on servers with 100-150 ping. Tonight? 35 ping or less.

the PS3 community fucking sucks!! These young kids are impatient as fuck! I was playing on CS Italy, took out 3 terrorists, I was the last guy left with 16 health points, inside the hostage holding area, while a terrorist was on the second floor. And my dumbass teamates vote kicked me cause they were all dead. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR so fucking infuriating. The voting in this game is too easy....and people use it a bit too much.

Kalnos

Banned
That's kind of insane.

I'm not sure what the best solution is, but it should probably resemble Dota 2's setup as best as possible. Continue with bots even if someone leaves. Don't give players the option to abandon the game.

Brings match statistics and ranking to the forefront of competitive. Make it clear that leaving a competitive game is a huge no-no, and impose large penalties for doing so.

On a positive note: despite competitive being basically broken, the matchmaking is really, really good for finding a good server now. Prior to the patch, I was getting put on servers with 100-150 ping. Tonight? 35 ping or less.

After the patch tonight they give you 3 minutes to reconnect to the game before calling the abandon vote. Good if the person actually disconnected but still broken, obviously.

We did seem to be finding games faster though, so that's nice.

My solution, which I'm sure has been proposed hundreds of times:

Unranked game list:
Classic Casual
Classic Competitive
Arms Race

Ranked game list:
Classic Competitive

This way you can play competitive without it being ranked (and without using the server browser) and then make the penalties for leaving a ranked game even harsher.

TheExodu5

Banned
I mean, that works, but that would divide the community even further. Unranked competitive seems like an oxymoron to me.

Anyways, just had a great match. No one left. Teams were unbalanced as shit, but my teammates were actually working properly (2a, 2b, 1mid on dust2) which was nice for a change.

haha I started the game, hit find a competitive server, game crashed, started it back up, banned from matchmaking for not finishing the game I never even loaded up. Guess I'm playing something else until they fix this bs.

Had an amazing (i.e. normal) game last night-- an ENTIRE match on Vertigo that ended 14-16. The two hours before that were spent playing matches for 5 minutes until one person left, the vote wasn't unanimous, and everyone was kicked back to the menu screen.

My theory as to why everyone stayed this match: Not because of the banning rules scaring everyone into staying. Not because if one person leaves a vote would be called for the match to continue or end. It was because the match started balanced (luckily! because ELO isn't quite working yet), so people were motivated-- for positive reasons-- to stay since it could have been anyone's game.

But it was probably just luck/coincidence that no one left.

That said, I think that's the best that could be done for a good matchmaking system. Once ELO matchmaking kicks in and starting teams are relatively balanced, let the players handle the rest. If the teams are balanced people will want to stay. The bans/server votes do nothing to prevent people from leaving, and just make it harder for everyone to play a full match.

Uriah

Anyone else keep getting stuck on confirming match when trying to play competitive? All the other modes work fine.

KingKong

oh man, had an awesome game on dust

We start out by losing the first 4 rounds on T and two guys drop. Me and 2 other dudes are cool with it though and continue and end up coming back to 7:8. Second half, still with 2 bots vs 5 players, its back and forth with us calling strats, using nades, but we had a strong beginning and end up 9:5 and win 16:13 (we had the best player in the game on our team though

oh yeah and the two bots went 4:13 and 1:18 (all kills from us)

there's no game as tense and brutal as Counter Strike in those moments, it's unreal

bounchfx

competitive mode is fine when it works, but it takes far, far too long to find a match now compared to what it was before. I really hope they add the old version back as a non-ranked mode. I really liked it.

feel

I really miss playing CSGO.. :(

But I won't be booting it again until they bring the old classic competitive matchmaking experience back.

KingKong

New update walks back the unanimous vote change, still has the crappy bots in place of players

This is so dumb, they need to just think this through or have a beta to test these changes or something

The game crashed on me yesterday and I didn't bother to rejoin. I turn it on today and the counter says that I have to wait another 154 hours to use matchmaking. I've played probably 50 other matches without quitting, maybe 4 of which I actually got to play to completion without someone quitting and someone voting no to continuing the game. I am the least likely person to rage quit a game.

I still don't understand why they don't just match quitters up with quitters. I would gladly play with other people who have my quit ratio of 2 quits in dozens of matches.

KingKong

Well I hope Valve is working on something good because the playerbase is dropping fast

e7ncz.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom