• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played with three good buddies last night for 4 hours. Lots of fun. I don't like being the best of the bunch--Not that i'm bragging. If anything I should be way better considering the amount of time I've played CS. It's very hectic when you go: "if you die, the team loses. Don't do anything drastic."

Getting 130 points in a match tie was fun.

I haven't purchased GO but I tried it out because of the free weekend going on. Trying to get used to buying stuff. For some reason even though the controls are the same, because the UI/buy menu looks different, it makes me slow lol. Man, people really suck on the Casual Classic playlist.

http://i.imgur.com/yRqcJ.jpg (I'm afterflow)

Maybe I should play the competitive playlist.

Grinchy

Banned
I must admit, I'm liking this more than I thought I would. I figured it would be a download, try for a little bit, then delete situation. Instead I might actually buy it.

It feels good, and it looks decent enough. The 5v5 was annoying to me on paper, but I like the quick rounds.

Clydefrog

image.php

good, good. join us

TheExodu5

Banned
Classic competitive is the only way to play. It's always been my favorite way to play 1.6/Source...it's just always been a pain to get a scrim going (though I haven't played much since 2005, so I've never tried ESEA).

Makoto

Played some classic competitive and it was actually really fun. I liked being able to play a structured 5v5 match without the inherent serious business expectations of other players. I don't think it's enough to get me to buy it though. Would have preferred they had just implemented that matchmaking into the existing games.

Edit: This matchmaking has been pretty noteworthy so far. Most, if not all of my matches have been pretty close and the teams seemed fairly balanced. I'm unable to say the same for DotA 2 where its matchmaking seems to pair me with at least 2 incompetents or foreigners while the opposing team is nothing but decent players.

feel

Classic competitive is the only way to play. It's always been my favorite way to play 1.6/Source...it's just always been a pain to get a scrim going (though I haven't played much since 2005, so I've never tried ESEA).
Now that it actually works it's truly fantastic. Totally addicted to it (and I'm getting destroyed 3/4 of the time). They need to make Dust II not show up 70% of the time.

Yeah, same thing happens to me. Picking defuse mission might as well be the same as picking Dust II. But hey, at least it's not Dust-- I really hate that map because there is not a single point where Ts get sight of the CTs first. Anyway, it'd be great if they could actually make the hostage maps playable again. Starting a few updates ago, Office just vanished from the competitive map rotation so it was Italy all the time. Now hostage mission is a 20+ minute wait.

I think I'm in the minority who likes hostage missions more than defuse. I feel like there's a lot more variety in how things can play out. For example on Italy I was on CT side and the Ts were all camping in the hostage building-- smart move, because we lost like 5 rounds in a row. Finally, my friends and I just decided to buy incendiary grenades to kill the hostages upstairs and grab the ones downstairs. And it worked out. I've also been on a team where, as the Ts, we killed all four hostages and hid around the map, waiting for time to tick down. Sounds cheap, but it's fun and mixes things up. Also funny was when my teammate only managed to rescue three hostages, accidentally leaving one behind. Solution: kill the last hostage and instantly win the round. And I like how things shift once the hostages are following CTs. It's very intense, either as a T trying to chase him down, or a CT dreading the Ts lurking near the rescue zone.

So I can see how hostage missions are unbalanced, but I just feel like they're a lot more dynamic. And thanks to the structure of the game, the teams switch sides mid-game so it's a bit more even. Although maybe the team that starts as Ts has an advantage since, if they play right, they only have to squeak out a few more victories as CTs to win the match.

In short: More hostage maps Valve!

KingKong

Nice, so the final is going to be NiP vs Verygames

NiP makes sense but surprised that Verygames is doing so well, they were a CS:S team weren't they? Well I think NiP will still beat them, their team is like CS all-stars

Grinchy

Banned
image.php

good, good. join us

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to. I've already put 4-5 hours into this game for free and it's only $10 right now. It feels really good to me. I don't like the buy menu, but that's the only complaint I can come up with so far.

I've bought a lot of $10 downloadable games on PSN and Steam that were nowhere near this polished.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Played 2 more rounds of competitive with some friends, we got Dust 1 back to back but that was fine because Dust 1 is still one of the greatest maps ever designed.

Anyways we had an incredible time the first set. We got matched up pretty perfectly and damn near every round came down to the last 1 or 2 people on each team. It made every round fucking suspenseful. We ended up winning as we played a much better terrorist than they did.

Second round we got a fucking weird group and we rolled them 16-1. The only round we lost was the half-time pistols only round. It wasn't as satisfying, but it did allow us to flex our muscles a bit and start using weapons other than the M4.

Overall, it was a great fucking experience. I think GO has a lot to offer with the competitive mode. Netcode felt good, the map visuals were crisp and very clean (readable), and the spectating interface is top-notch. It's a bummer people will blow the game off entirely. Neither of the previous CS games make it easy to find this 5v5 and have the experience this finely polished in terms of reconnecting while protecting score, etc. and competitive really is the ruleset that CS should be experienced with.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I think you are part of a miniscule group.

This is correct.

Also any official map they still have up is considered useful and somewhat popular. Lets not get in to official maps who have garbage support or were outright cut out of this game before aztec or dust.

Very few maps are balanced. A lot of maps give one side not a huge advantage but slight to moderate so that certain teams do their objectives.

Holy crap did anyone watch the ESWC grand final? NIP took the final map 16-14 with an amazingly tense final round. Very nice stuff.

This is correct.

Also any official map they still have up is considered useful and somewhat popular. Lets not get in to official maps who have garbage support or were outright cut out of this game before aztec or dust.

Very few maps are balanced. A lot of maps give one side not a huge advantage but slight to moderate so that certain teams do their objectives.

Dust 1 is booty butt cheeks. I've got a solution to it. If only Valve would listen to a humble voice like mine.

KingKong

This is correct.

Maps like Dust1 and Aztec were remade because they're iconic, not because they're popular. I'm not sure if Italy is that popular either since I actively avoided it.

Dust2, inferno, nuke, train are as balanced as can be considering the T vs CT difference, which is why they're played in the tourneys. The guy who made the cpl maps (mill, fire, strike) is working on remaking them for GO so that should be awesome

Makoto

I like Dust 1 from a pub perspective. I wouldn't give it the time of day from a competitive standpoint, though I haven't played it in classic competitive yet because it keeps choosing Dust 2 or THAT AWFUL SHIT VERTIGO.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Maps like Dust1 and Aztec were remade because they're iconic, not because they're popular. I'm not sure if Italy is that popular either since I actively avoided it.

Dust2, inferno, nuke, train are as balanced as can be considering the T vs CT difference, which is why they're played in the tourneys. The guy who made the cpl maps (mill, fire, strike) is working on remaking them for GO so that should be awesome

Dust1 is still popular not just iconic. That was my point and for the record be it the beta or 1.x era doesn't wasn't the worst not even close of the offical maps. Now it's simple cheese for scrubs but I never seen it when I pug or ring people so I don't really have much of opinion on it. Valve doesn't waste time adding in everything they could they just focus on a typical set of maps if you look at source development easy as hell to see what I mean.

Archon473

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to. I've already put 4-5 hours into this game for free and it's only $10 right now. It feels really good to me. I don't like the buy menu, but that's the only complaint I can come up with so far.

I've bought a lot of $10 downloadable games on PSN and Steam that were nowhere near this polished.

PSN is listing CS:GO as $14.99. Is the game on sale on Steam only?

Grinchy

Banned
PSN is listing CS:GO as $14.99. Is the game on sale on Steam only?

Yeah, sorry for any confusion. It was free for the weekend on Steam, and it is also on sale for $9.99 until tomorrow. If I didn't get to play it for free, I never would have bought it. I wish they'd do free weekends on PSN.

Archon473

If sales this weekend spike, maybe the PSN version will see a discount by Christmas. With a free weekend, I'd likely rip through the platinum and forget about the game. With a discount, I'd take the time to play the game comfortably and sink my teeth into it.

I grew up playing FPSes, most notably Unreal Tournament and the wonderful Tactical Ops mod. I owned Half-life but with dial-up internet was never able to participate in any online modes. I missed Counter-Strike due to the lack of bots, and nowadays I do not play PC games. CS:GO will be purchased eventually, but I tread lightly around end-year purchases hoping not to buy a game just before a sale.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Why is this game so much easier than Source?

Can't do shit in Source, but find myself doing well nearly every round in Global Offensive.

Grinchy

Banned

Can't do shit in Source, but find myself doing well nearly every round in Global Offensive.

I just realized that by the time the free weekend was over, I had amassed as many hours in GO as I had in Source. I bought Source years ago. So yeah I like GO way more too.

I'm really sucking at it today though. Had to rage quit.

Going back to Source out of curiosity, its way slower and less refined. GO is super fast and I want to say it has less recoil as well. Movement is just a lot more user friendly with GO.

Also Demolition is the best mode.

TheExodu5

Banned
GO is just a hell of a lot better than Source at this point.

I personally do a lot better in GO because the hitboxes and recoil are much less forgiving. It gives me an edge over people that have less mastery over these aspects of the game.

Clydefrog

I have been getting into matchmaking recently. It's pretty fun! I was addicted last night and played four games in a row. Won 3 and tied 1.

feel

Friends and I got into a community server the other day where about 30 guys were playing this game where they pretended to be inmates and guards in a huge penitentiary map. Usually each round started with inmates getting out of their cells when they opened and turning around to face back in and stood there for a bit until ordered to move somewhere. Guards made prisoners march around in lines and do all kinds of stuff like random games and shot them within 3 seconds if they didn't comply or failed some test, until 1 inmate remained alive and got to have a last wish where he could make the guards do anything. Every once in a while something exciting happened where inmates tried to overpower the guards and take their weapons or someone would escape stealthily somehow which would lead to this intense search of the whole place. Bizarre experience.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm glad they updated the UI. I also like that it shows how many hits I got and how much damage it did. Now, when I know I hit someone multiple times and got a headshot, the game can tell me I hit once for 24 damage.

Now, when I know I hit someone multiple times and got a headshot, the game can tell me I hit once for 24 damage.
Yeahhhh, you're definitely not the only one experiencing this. I shoot a guy, blood sprays on the wall, and apparently I didn't hit him a single time.

Anyone still unable to join hostage games in competitive? There was a time where I could actually play them-- even after the big matchmaking changes-- but for the past few weeks the wait time just gets stuck at 144 minutes.

pants

I like the damage indicator coming up and telling me what a horrible player I am :D
Damage against 1 shot 101 Damage
Damage done 5 shots 34 damage - all in the toe lol

Booter

is this game dead? reinstalled on steam after i guess about 3 months of not playing

cannot find anyone in classic casual hostage (my favorite map is office). it just puts me in an empty bot game, no one joins.

gun game has a few people but still 1/2 bots

wtffff

Grinchy

Banned
is this game dead? reinstalled on steam after i guess about 3 months of not playing

cannot find anyone in classic casual hostage (my favorite map is office). it just puts me in an empty bot game, no one joins.

gun game has a few people but still 1/2 bots

wtffff

That's weird, I don't seem to have any trouble getting into full games through matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom