• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant more because he's going to be stuck in a game for its entirety and he will be up against people who will whoop his ass over and over again. There's nothing less fun than watching an hour-long round play out while you're dead.

I mean let's be real. A newcomer to Counterstrike is not going to do well in Competitive even if the matchmaking looks for lower ranked players (I don't even know if it actually does this).

Agreed. It's also a place where to learn to shoot the gun's. No iron sights and recoil make this game take some getting used to. If you jump into competitive you'll have a few seconds of actual gampley per round and it you'll probably get more frustrated than anything.

feel

Yeah, the first guys you meet in the early ranks of matchmaking are terrible but they somewhat know what's going on, and if you don't you're in for a miserable time. Stick to the other modes for a bit.

Well ok, it can never hurt to have at least some experience with the game before you go online.

Still, matchmaking is doing quite a good job, for me at least. Most people I'm matchmade with (16 wins, silver elite master) are around the same in-game skill and most matches are tense and exciting and final score is quite close.

rac

Banned
Yeah, the first guys you meet in the early ranks of matchmaking are terrible but they somewhat know what's going on, and if you don't you're in for a miserable time. Stick to the other modes for a bit.

I actually decided to mm by myself over the weekend and happened to get matched up with a gaffer on my friends list. I went 7-16 I think but we still won because he and his friend were good. It was the first time I ever played a 5v5 in any cs but I was getting so sick of the 10v10 stuff casual mode takes you to.

Clydefrog

Ace-ing a round in competitive matchmaking is like the best feeling ever.

just to clarify: ace-ing is killing the entire team on your own

feel

Ace-ing a round in competitive matchmaking is like the best feeling ever.

just to clarify: ace-ing is killing the entire team on your own
Aaaawww yeah! Even better if you were last man standing on your team before doing it.

Aces with the P90 on second round don't count though, people get too excited on the chat when they pull those off lol.

Zia

I slogged through that cesspool of a comments section and someone claims that Valve is working on shifting CS:GO into a F2P game. Not sure how that'd expand things -- people have a lot of choices nowadays, and I don't see the playerbase exploding just because the game is free. I'd rather see more competitive and spectator-friendly functionality added a la Dota 2, along with a queue specifically for the retooled "competitive" maps. I guess we'll see though, and I hope that Valve does in fact have big plans for the game.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
If they go F2P, then Classic Competitive should be a premium option, like how TF2 has a premium version.

Free to play would absolutely blow the game up. Look at TF2. The reason they never have is cause they simply can't find a way to monitize it. There is no loot to reskin. They don't use hats or skins cause it doesn't fit what CS is. How bout gun skins? Make spectating as good as it is in Dota 2 and do pvp tickets like they do? Not sure.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
wow, f that.

That's the only idea (perhaps not the best one :p) I could come up with.

If they did make CS:GO F2P, what would they do with the other CS games? Still charge for them, or make them F2P as well?

KingKong

They already tried to monetize 1.6 by putting in billboard ads years ago.

I'd expect something like comp matchmaking being for paid version and everything else being free but I really don't see how they could add micro transactions

feel

Would be fun if they let you customize your player models. Nothing major that would confuse enemies of course, just give you control over the automatic variations that are already there.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
They already tried to monetize 1.6 by putting in billboard ads years ago.

I'd expect something like comp matchmaking being for paid version and everything else being free but I really don't see how they could add micro transactions

Weapons skins were found in the beta version of the game about a year ago, but those were patched out long before the game went retail. Valve has never disclosed how exactly those skins would be implemented, but one can certainly guess.

Uiki

Weapons skins were found in the beta version of the game about a year ago, but those were patched out long before the game went retail. Valve has never disclosed how exactly those skins would be implemented, but one can certainly guess.

I can't see cs:go going f2p and remaining as competitive as it is. Maybe if they just let you buy/customize weapons with skins and useless attachments like blacklight...but i don't see it as profitable as tf2.

Btw, third day and the competitive matchmaking servers are still acting up. Yesterday no one was able to join a mm game >_<

KingKong

I mean they could easily do something like having a chance to find a 'weapon skin' at the end of a round or a match and then disable skins in comp matchmaking, tho I don't think someone having a golden ak or blue tiger m4 would be a big deal even in comp

I mean they could easily do something like having a chance to find a 'weapon skin' at the end of a round or a match and then disable skins in comp matchmaking, tho I don't think someone having a golden ak or blue tiger m4 would be a big deal even in comp
Exactly. It's the only real monetization I can think of. Character models will probably remain untouched.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be fine with weapons skins, provided they're not usable in comp mode.

Just started pumping some real hours into this game and god damn, it's so good. Following up some competitive matches with a few rounds of Gun Game on community servers is the best of times

Lourio

Is there a GAF server?

My steam ID is aGent' if anyone would like to play. I'm on the east and usually play during the evening.

Booter

still loving this game on pc. i only play casual, hostage.

y'all know this spot on office?

tree.png

i think going f2p would be a smart step, but i don't think the skin route is the way to go. valve already took the game from multiple skins per team (css) to everyone being the same skin (csgo), so i doubt we're going to see gun skins or something of that nature.

not really sure how they could monetize the game, but i think their focus should be on growing the user base first and considering monetization later. growth over income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom