• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mileena

Banned
Im going to check this out now.

No-one plays because they're afraid of not being as good as they used to be. I wish people did play.

Edit: i couldn't hear it.

Makes no sense because 1.6 is doing better than GO player-wise and it requires so much more effort to be good than GO does.

Makes no sense because 1.6 is doing better than GO player-wise and it requires so much more effort to be good than GO does.

1.6 is still huge cause of Europe. They love that game and when they go to sleep the numbers drop and CS: GO passes both it and source up. If you've been to any pro CS site most of the forums and comments sections are dominated by European players. These guys want 1.6 HD. Nothing else will satisfy them. They complain about every single update even ones like the hostage update that made a very unbalance broken gametype into something far more competitive and fun. I'm glad Valve is catering to Pro Teams because most of them have been extremely positive about Global offensive and realize it's a new game with it's own depth and it's not 1.6 HD.

I am happy about that. I still play 1.6 and I play GO and they are both great games in their own right and Valve is doing a great job so far making GO a competitive game. European players are a very stubborn bunch and love their old games. It's probably the only place in the world where Quake 3/Live still has a real community. 1.6 still exists and it always will. GO to me so far is well on it's way to be the true modern CS classic that Source and CZ failed to be.

MiKeD

Banned
OT: So if I purchase the original CS from Steam, will I still have good games and all of that?
Or should I buy a different one. Haven't played the game in like 7 or 8 years. Wanna try it out again.

Grinchy

Banned
I was directing it at people on NeoGAF; I doubt we have a thriving CS community let alone a 1.6 one.

I bet you're right about people just thinking they're not good enough anymore to play it. It seems like GAF has a nice population of older gamers. A lot of us probably played CS back when we were like 16 or 17 years old. I know that the older I get, the less interested I become in competitive online MP, especially one that involves putting a lot of time into getting good.

Though I say that, and I love CS GO...

From the "Old Character Designs" thread. Some CS: GO concept art. Seems like they planned to have female character models. Wonder if they will ever release the option. Also a Japanese inspired map with the Yakuza as terrorist?
csgoconceptart_thumb1.jpg

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
And for those curious: from top left to right (bold = in-game):

Yakuza
UEI (Spain)
Swat
Separatists
SEALs

Scuba
SAS
Professionals

PLA (China)
Pirates
Phoenix Connexion

MPSSC (China)
KSK (Germany)
Jungle Marxists
Intifada
Insurgents
IDF
Guerrilla Warfare
GSG-9
GIGN

Georgians
Entrenched
Elite Crew
Cultural Revolutionaries
Contractors
Arctic Avengers
Anarchists

The in-game factions that aren't in this list are the Balkans and FBI HRT.

zon

=(

never forget scream spot @ d2, best place on the whole map to hide and ace

Truth. That dude had godlike skill. Everyone was camping that spot after that clip.

If anyone here has no idea what we're talking about, you can watch it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAN2NpuDTtM (around 6:00)

I recommend watching the entire movie though, almost everyone in this fragmovie belonged to the international elite so there are A LOT of great frags. And it's a blast from the past for those of us who played back then. :)

That's a great video you posted, I remember so many of the kills. I used to love watching CS compilations/movies. Frag or Die is a personal old school favorite.

I just started playing GO because of a friend who got into it. I began playing in 1.3 and stopped when Source came out. GO is pretty fun so far, but finding people to play with has been difficult. Lots of good pugs, but it's just not the same.

I see ESEA is still around, are any other leagues still going? I heard a rumor CAL was coming back but I don't know if that was even for CS. I would prefer a league over the in game matchmaking, which seems to be pretty wonked.

zon

You guys should watch the Rwa movies if you want to see how far you can go in terms of skill with awp. His reflexes were unmatched.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
So which CS should I buy?
Have a lot of players moved on to GO or is the original still where it's at?

Get GO. It's the one getting updates, revised maps and gamemodes, and has living chickens.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Update came out yesterday:

Release Notes for 3/27/2013

[ MISC ]

- If CTs rescue a hostage and win game now plays "Hostage has been rescued" announcement before announcing "Counter-Terrorists Win".
- Hostages now correctly drop to ground when hostage carrier was killed mid-air.
- Menus will now correctly display on various resolution ratios including 5:4 and triple monitor
- Friends panel will now display an invited icon for invited friends.
- Fixed mouse input in demo playback .
- Lobby leader is now highlighted in lobby.
- Various layout changes to Lobby and Scoreboard.
- Map makers can now choose to show a custom loading image in place of the map overview/radar image
--To do this, place a .jpg image in the same directory as the .bsp (in maps) named _loading.jpg (it needs to be packed manually into the bsp before uploading to the workshop)
- Fixed player viewmodel arms rendering inside out when cl_righthand was set to 0
- Added back player_say game event for server plugins.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone ever have Valve games suddenly run like shit for no reason? This and TF2 run like complete dogshit out of nowhere. I've verified the game cache for each 4 times now. GO always finds 1 file missing, and it redownloads it. Then when I open the game, it says it's performing the first time setup. Then it runs like dog shit again.

In both games (GO and TF2) it'll run at around 70fps until I get near anyone. If more than 5 people are grouped together, I go down to like 22fps. I never really tracked my framerate before but I'm pretty sure GO ran at near 100fps all the time up until a week or 2 ago.

snack

I got kicked from my first competive match for doing too much damage to my own team. It was sad. I didn't even intentionally hurt my own teammates.

So choked...

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't really watched a lot of CS streams, but every time I've watched NiP, they have dominated. This is the first time that I've seen them looking human.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I never avidly played counter strike, actually I played it only a single time.

Downloading this off steam right now, god help me.

God would help you, but he's AWPing down mid from T spawn on Dust 2.

KingKong

just watched the Nip Virtus pro game, that was exciting stuff

NiP vs NaVi tomorrow and then the grand finals are going to be awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom