• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
Dude Mirage is such an old map, and its taken them this long to even just get that on there. They could easily hire map makers and have new maps injected into competitive bi-weekly or monthly. Instead I get to play nuke, train, inferno, mirage (cpl_strike) all over again like its 2003. If they had a clue Vertigo, dust1 and all the hostage maps would be replaced by maps people actually like in a competitive setting.

Oh and nerf smokes

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Dude Mirage is such an old map, and its taken them this long to even just get that on there. They could easily hire map makers and have new maps injected into competitive bi-weekly or monthly. Instead I get to play nuke, train, inferno, mirage (cpl_strike) all over again like its 2003. If they had a clue Vertigo, dust1 and all the hostage maps would be replaced by maps people actually like in a competitive setting.

Oh and nerf smokes

To your first point: The first set of maps you listed are popular with both the casual and competitive scene (Mirage especially for the latter). Sure, I understand the frustration of playing the same maps over and over again, but I think it would be even more frustrating to not have them. And let's face it, it's easier to update classic maps than to make brand new ones. Would I like to see more/new maps as frequently as you're suggesting? Of course, but realistically speaking, I can't see that happening. Creating completely new maps is a helluva lot of work.

As for your second set of maps, I regularly play with people who enjoy hostage maps in a competitive setting. It's a nice change of pace from bomb defusal. Just because you don't like a map or mode doesn't mean everyone feels the same way. I also don't get the replacement suggestion - why not just add new content? Being as destructive as you're suggesting isn't rational or beneficial in any way.

To your second point: They did nerf smokes in a recent patch.

I think you should check out the SPUF CS:GO forums. There are a lot of people there who share similar views and concerns like the ones you've addressed in this thread; I'm sure they'd be happy to have another voice in the discussions there. From my experience, hanging out on several forums with topics dedicated to the same game can give you multiple perspectives, opening your eyes to ideas and opinions you'd otherwise not be exposed to.

CS: GO is $5.09 on Steam right now. How good of a game is it for someone who used to play a *lot* of CS from 1.0+, but was completely disenfranchised by Source?

Clydefrog

CS: GO is $5.09 on Steam right now. How good of a game is it for someone who used to play a *lot* of CS from 1.0+, but was completely disenfranchised by Source?

Well, I played the hell out of CS and never touched CS:S. I bought CS:GO right when it came out and never looked back. It's awesome!

impact

Banned
It's worth a shot at that price but don't go in expecting a game that's even remotely similar to 1.6. On the bright side you should be familiar with all the maps :x

I just want mill/tuscan, cbble/forge, fire, maybe some comrade and I'd be happy enough.Rehashing maps is ok, rehashing shit like Vertigo and dust1 is not ok.

TheExodu5

Banned

As a 1.6 vet I think it's the best version of CS out, and it's getting better with every patch. Recoil/spray system is less forgiving than 1.6, and hitboxes are just as small, if not smaller than 1.6...nothing like the massive hitboxes of Source. They're also not afraid to do a lot of balance fixes and changes that are very welcome additions to the game. There are a lot more useful guns in GO than there ever were in 1.6. The bounty rewards also add a certain level of risk/reward to save rounds. And of course, the main draw is the ability to queue up for competitive 5v5 matchmaking.

As a 1.6 vet I think it's the best version of CS out, and it's getting better with every patch. Recoil/spray system is less forgiving than 1.6, and hitboxes are just as small, if not smaller than 1.6...nothing like the massive hitboxes of Source. They're also not afraid to do a lot of balance fixes and changes that are very welcome additions to the game. There are a lot more useful guns in GO than there ever were in 1.6. The bounty rewards also add a certain level of risk/reward to save rounds. And of course, the main draw is the ability to queue up for competitive 5v5 matchmaking.
A lot of positive impressions. $5.09 is a price I can't pass up. I hope to get some time in on the NeoGAF server tonight!

jordisok

I'm having so much trouble with my aim right now :| tried to bring down my mouse sensitivity gradually with practice and all of a sudden its gone to shit.

Might take a break from GO

As someone who played thousands of hours from 1.1 to 1.6, and hated CS:S, I strongly recommend GO. It's not 1.6 and maybe I would have hated it just as much as I did S if this came out back then, but right now, I love GO. It's the closest were ever gonna get to 1.6, and it's a great game of it's own right. Some things are better, some things are worse.

Damn bought the game in the sale so I joined a server and got destroyed. Ended up with a kdr of 0.5. so sad right now.

I strongly recommend you try out the competitive matchmaking. After a few matches it should be able to find opponents that are around your skill level. It's a great feature for getting back into the game.

Any PC wizards able to help my friend out? Computer crashes every time he tries to play CS:GO and Portal 2. TF2 works fine. He has tried getting help from Valve support, but nothing has worked thus far.

Not sure how much of this is relevant, so I'm just pasting almost all of it:

Bump for the new page. :S

Zeppelin

Bought the game yesterday. As a 1.6 player, I don't really feel it. I don't like the changes they've made to de_dust2 and de_inferno. They've added and made changes to a bunch of double doors on de_dust2, and the angels are all fucked up on de_inferno. But maybe they based their remakes on the CS:S versions? The overall look of de_dust2 is pretty shit too. Needs more... sand.

de_nuke is probably a better map today (with the new route to B), except the fact that you can blow a fucking hole in blue door. Haven't played de_train, yet. Seeing de_cpl_strike get a remake in Mirage was pretty cool, that map never got a decent remake in 1.6 after the CPL went away. I also played a version of de_cpl_mill that was pretty good. It had some changes to the routes, but probably for the better. It also looked like a 1.6 map with better graphics, just glorious boxes and no burnt out car wrecks or any stupid shit like that.

I also played some cs_office. I hadn't played it in like a decade, it's a better map than I remembered it to be. For random public games of course. Played some cs_assault as well. If felt kinda broken with one of the hostages not being inside the little room. Most rounds we would just go in and pick that guy up and walk away. Oh well, the cs-maps never where were good anyway.

I don't like the new buy system. I don't really mind the way you earn cash etc., I assume they made the changes to get less eco rounds in competitive games. Watching anti-ecos where never all that much fun either way (unless the ecoing team were Pentagram and they bought deagles...). But they've moved the weapons around so I constantly buy the wrong things. Maybe there's a way of getting the old mappings back.

I haven't really experimented that much with the weapons yet. I mostly buy the same old shit I always did. I looked at the pattern for the AK though, and it seems pretty much like it is in 1.6. The guns sound incredibly weak though. They feel just like something out of CoD, but with weaker damage.

The death animations are pretty unsatisfying too. I guess canned animations would look pretty weird in this day and age, but there's nothing satisfying about shooting someone in the head in this game.

All in all, the game can provide the same fun as any other Counter-Strike when it comes to public games. But I don't see myself playing this competitively. Too much clutter and inconsistency for my taste. I'm getting old...

Also, where the fuck is my 1337 Krew skin? :(

So I just picked this up, and I'm not sure I understand what this Operation Payback thing is. Am I buying maps? Does this game not work like TF2 where you'll just download the map from the server if you don't have it?

So I just picked this up, and I'm not sure I understand what this Operation Payback thing is. Am I buying maps? Does this game not work like TF2 where you'll just download the map from the server if you don't have it?

Payback is just something you can buy to support map makers, giving you access to classic casual matchmaking using only Payback maps. You also get that round badge you might have seen around, which changes based on Payback playtime (bronze for buying, silver after playing 10h, gold after 50h). Most of the maps are pretty bad, I do not recommend paying for Operation Payback unless you are gungho about supporting community map makers. The mode (classic casual) is awful too, I wanted to go for a gold badge, but it was so boring I gave up after getting silver.

bought this yesterday, seems far easier to get into than source where i'd be lucky to get 5 kills in a half hour session; have already had a couple dominant games

what's the deal with the BOT (name of another person in the server) that i see sometimes?

Uriah

bought this yesterday, seems far easier to get into than source where i'd be lucky to get 5 kills in a half hour session; have already had a couple dominant games

what's the deal with the BOT (name of another person in the server) that i see sometimes?

He's a bot?

Clydefrog

Big Ole Titties

famous CS:GO clan

feel

but aren't the bots named mike or john or something

what i've been seeing in some servers is something like

Uriah
BOT (Uriah)
Uriah died and is now controlling a bot. If a bot is still alive after you die you can take control of it by pressing the Use key while spectating it.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Usually, BOT <name> is actually a bot, just so server have at least ten players. But some players change their names to have the BOT prefix; some even change their avatars, too.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Bought the game yesterday. As a 1.6 player, I don't really feel it. I don't like the changes they've made to de_dust2 and de_inferno. They've added and made changes to a bunch of double doors on de_dust2, and the angels are all fucked up on de_inferno. But maybe they based their remakes on the CS:S versions? The overall look of de_dust2 is pretty shit too. Needs more... sand.

de_nuke is probably a better map today (with the new route to B), except the fact that you can blow a fucking hole in blue door. Haven't played de_train, yet. Seeing de_cpl_strike get a remake in Mirage was pretty cool, that map never got a decent remake in 1.6 after the CPL went away. I also played a version of de_cpl_mill that was pretty good. It had some changes to the routes, but probably for the better. It also looked like a 1.6 map with better graphics, just glorious boxes and no burnt out car wrecks or any stupid shit like that.

I also played some cs_office. I hadn't played it in like a decade, it's a better map than I remembered it to be. For random public games of course. Played some cs_assault as well. If felt kinda broken with one of the hostages not being inside the little room. Most rounds we would just go in and pick that guy up and walk away. Oh well, the cs-maps never where were good anyway.

I don't like the new buy system. I don't really mind the way you earn cash etc., I assume they made the changes to get less eco rounds in competitive games. Watching anti-ecos where never all that much fun either way (unless the ecoing team were Pentagram and they bought deagles...). But they've moved the weapons around so I constantly buy the wrong things. Maybe there's a way of getting the old mappings back.

I haven't really experimented that much with the weapons yet. I mostly buy the same old shit I always did. I looked at the pattern for the AK though, and it seems pretty much like it is in 1.6. The guns sound incredibly weak though. They feel just like something out of CoD, but with weaker damage.

The death animations are pretty unsatisfying too. I guess canned animations would look pretty weird in this day and age, but there's nothing satisfying about shooting someone in the head in this game.

All in all, the game can provide the same fun as any other Counter-Strike when it comes to public games. But I don't see myself playing this competitively. Too much clutter and inconsistency for my taste. I'm getting old...

Also, where the fuck is my 1337 Krew skin? :(
I was the same way at first. I didn't like all the little changes. I still hate the way shotties and the P90 can dominate at times. The buy menu, and lack of bullet purchasing. The lack of m4 silencer (my go-to weapon). But once you team up with friends in matchmaking, it's like a perfect scrim setup which is far more enjoyable to me than a 15 vs 15 pub server or whatever. The changes in the game take time to get accustomed to, but it's a far more rewarding game than Source at least.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Just bought the title and a few copies for friends. Any advice on proper netcode settings? How do I tweak my crosshair and mouse settings like source?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Just bought the title and a few copies for friends. Any advice on proper netcode settings? How do I tweak my crosshair and mouse settings like source?
It you get at least 120fps, use cl_cmdrate 120 and cl_updaterate 120. Rate 80000 should be fine. Also cl_interp_ratio 1.

Zeppelin

I was the same way at first. I didn't like all the little changes. I still hate the way shotties and the P90 can dominate at times. The buy menu, and lack of bullet purchasing. The lack of m4 silencer (my go-to weapon). But once you team up with friends in matchmaking, it's like a perfect scrim setup which is far more enjoyable to me than a 15 vs 15 pub server or whatever. The changes in the game take time to get accustomed to, but it's a far more rewarding game than Source at least.

Yeah, they can go fuck themselves over the lack of M4 silencer. Such an easy little thing to pay homage to.

I kinda like not having to buy ammo though. I rarely micro managed it in 1.6. You had the occasional single clip Deagle round and you never bought ammo for the AWP, but other than that you pretty much never needed that much control over your purchases. I think the changes they've made to the monetary system are probably for the better.

And I find it pretty hard to credit them on the matchmaking. It's par for the course. It's something they could have put in 1.6 10 years ago if they had actually given a fuck about that game or had any clue whatsoever on how the community actually found their scrims back then.

Another thing that really bothers me is the changes made to wall spamming. It got really silly occasionally in 1.6, and it kinda made games on de_nuke a bore to watch. But now it feels like it's almost completely gone (haven't really experimented that much on it though). I feel they could have handled that much better.

impact

Banned
They made spamming walls do no damage because of all the scrubs complaining about how it takes no skill. Now you can just run around with mouse1 held down and a P90 and get headshots aimed nowhere near their head! Skills!

feel

They made spamming walls do no damage because of all the scrubs complaining about how it takes no skill. Now you can just run around with mouse1 held down and a P90 and get headshots aimed nowhere near their head! Skills!
Shooting through thick walls was some dumb shit. P90 is a bit too good but a barely decent m4/ak47 user that actually aims and doesn't spam will own a P90 spammer any day.

Radix

Neo Member
I stumbled upon this. Some screens of Counter-Strike Online 2.

de_dust2_01.jpg

de_dust2_02.jpg

cs_italy_01.jpg

cs_italy_02.jpg

13497398.jpg

They did a better job on the maps than they did with the UI.

Lot of talk amongst the community that this will be heavily focused on competitive focused changes and movement.

Hang in there everybody, big things are about to be revealed! ;)
I can't say too much yet, but stay tuned to HLTV and be the first to know what's going to happen!

While we have been waiting for the much needed, larger update to come out, we had not heard anything from the developers themselves, until now. It appears the developers will be taking a serious look at the competitive aspect of the game, rather than catering to the public community with future changes.

The delay also makes sense, as we are in a small break from any major tournament taking place, allowing changes to be made with enough time for players to adapt. While it is unknown what the exact changes will be, it seems like weapons and movement might be the main focus of the next update.

From ESEA.

feel

Silencers? Cool I guess, at least people will shut the fuck up about it.

Looking forward to the big update, I hope the P90 and the autosniper get nerfed somehow.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Speculation:

P2000, MP9, M4A4 to all get removable silencers, that's my guess. MP7 is a possibility, but that might mean some reshuffling with the other SMGs, like with the pistols earlier this year.

Martian

Speculation:

P2000, MP9, M4A4 to all get removable silencers, that's my guess. MP7 is a possibility, but that might mean some reshuffling with the other SMGs, like with the pistols earlier this year.

How could I not notice that the MP9 is just TMP without silencer?
Damn, I was wondering where that gun went.

Favourite gun in CSS

jordisok

Silencers!!!

Now just bring back the flashlight from source
::p

Been getting some strange rank match ups lately with lots of unranked players being put into tough games, down to the sale influx??

Martian

Silencers!!!

Now just bring back the flashlight from source
::p

Been getting some strange rank match ups lately with lots of unranked players being put into tough games, down to the sale influx??

Damn, didn't realise CSGO doesnt have a flashlight either until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom