• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

jqQ9fHdh.jpg

kIxRW34h.jpg

More
http://imgur.com/a/7oDIW

Credit
http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...reenshots_and_some_information_about_the_new/

spootime

So from what I can tell you have to choose your weapon (m4a4 OR m4a1-s) BEFORE the game starts and then play with that the whole game. Really not sure how I feel about this. My first reaction is to say its a really bad idea and you should be able to choose in between, but I'll have to give it a shot on wednesday.

All these skins adn guns are cool and everything but if there's not substantial movement changes I'll be pretty disappointed.

spootime

can someone elaborate on what's wrong with the movement?

I think its a mix of stuff. Obviously this is just my opinion but IMO you accelerate too quickly and the game doesnt punish your recoil enough for moving and shooting (main offender is p90). The movement makes it kind of hard to hold a corner because people zoom out from behind cover and headshot you before you can really react. That in addition to peeker advantage and 64 tick makes the game feel somewhat random.

So my ideal fix to the problems would be for valve to implement the new movement values that were posted on r/globaloffensive, which felt really good, increase recoil when moving, and add 128 tick servers to MM.

Clydefrog

I think its a mix of stuff. Obviously this is just my opinion but IMO you accelerate too quickly and the game doesnt punish your recoil enough for moving and shooting (main offender is p90). The movement makes it kind of hard to hold a corner because people zoom out from behind cover and headshot you before you can really react. That in addition to peeker advantage and 64 tick makes the game feel somewhat random.

So my ideal fix to the problems would be for valve to implement the new movement values that were posted on r/globaloffensive, which felt really good, increase recoil when moving, and add 128 tick servers to MM.

Thanks, interesting. I do agree with you. The P90 is just way too easy to run-and-gun with. I have also stopped doing matchmaking because I always end up in a server where I have 80-100 ping and the 64 tick isn't helping anything!

Interesting stuff. I don't know why people are freaking out about "loadouts" I'm pretty sure that's just how you set up you weapon skins. I'm glad this is happening because GO needed monetization. Going by CSbananas long time success with skins I hope there is a similar workshop like there is for Dota 2 so people can get paid for their work. More money the game generates for Valve and tournaments the more support it will get. They really need to get their spectator mode up there with Dot 2's however if they want people to actually buy PPV tickets.

Ohnonono

I play this game casually because I played it a ton in high high school. Adding cosmetic bullshit only makes me like it more. Go Valve.

fijim

Banned
Cosmetic items are fine with me, as long as we don't get crazy weapon variations like TF2 did. I realize they were all balanced with a con, but it made the game more random. If there are weapons with stat changes they would need to be Casual only and not allowed in Competitive mode.

Still, adding some meta game elements is fine if it keeps people playing and helps monetize the game (so they keep supporting it). GO is already miles ahead of where Source was at this point in it's lifecycle. I think the competitive scene will keep improving, there are some issues now and it will never be just like 1.6, but I think it will improve. Some movement related things we may just need to get used to, just the way the engine works means holding corners and movement will always be a little different from 1.6.

Uiki

Cosmetic items are fine with me, as long as we don't get crazy weapon variations like TF2 did. I realize they were all balanced with a con, but it made the game more random. If there are weapons with stat changes they would need to be Casual only and not allowed in Competitive mode.

I'm kinda baffled that they focus on skins/keys/crates while leaving something like p90/ghosting/anticheat (just naming a few) untouched.

I'm kinda baffled that they focus on skins/keys/crates while leaving something like p90/ghosting/anticheat (just naming a few) untouched.

I'm kinda baffled that people are automatically assuming that we aren't getting balance changes and that all we are getting are skins/keys/crates in this patch. There seems to be a lot of people with this assumption and all I can do is shake my head.

Uiki

I'm kinda baffled that people are automatically assuming that we aren't getting balance changes and that all we are getting are skins/keys/crates in this patch. There seems to be a lot of people with this assumption and all I can do is shake my head.

What I meant is that they need to focus FIRST on fixing then on adding stuff. I can understand why they won't touch the p90 (and it's a relatively recent issue) but ghosting and the anticheat stuff are like 1 year late.

So yeah, i shake my head every wednesday.

Most of the weapon styles seen so far. Missing the awesome Nova seen in this image, and all of the knives.

What I meant is that they need to focus FIRST on fixing then on adding stuff. I can understand why they won't touch the p90 (and it's a relatively recent issue) but ghosting and the anticheat stuff are like 1 year late.

What ghosting and anticheat stuff are you talking about?

As for the P90, it wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the 64 tick servers. THAT is the biggest issue with CS:GO. If they're gonna fix anything, that should be their priority.

So 'Exterior' is another uncrating variable for how worn the gun looks?

I wonder if maybe it'll be something you can choose yourself, like styles in TF2.

Uiki

What ghosting and anticheat stuff are you talking about?

As for the P90, it wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the 64 tick servers. THAT is the biggest issue with CS:GO. If they're gonna fix anything, that should be their priority.

I don't see valve providing 128 tick servers. That's not a question of "fixing" but it's just a matter of "money".

Maybe with some kind of operation somethingsomething. Hell, I would pay even for 102 tick servers.

For ghosting I meant the bug that's in there from beta. http://64bitvps.com/csgo/ticket/bug...aracter-model-should-properly-come-into-view/ .

Not to mention reload/footsteps sound bugs.

For ghosting I meant the bug that's in there from beta. http://64bitvps.com/csgo/ticket/bug...aracter-model-should-properly-come-into-view/ .

Not to mention reload/footsteps sound bugs.

Yeah while that bug can be annoying at times, it isn't really game breaking for me at least. Not high on my priority list. But then again, it seems like something that should be easy enough to fix.

Still curious about what you meant about anti cheat stuff. Cheating isn't something easily fixed, but it's also something Valve is working on. Aside from updating VAC, the bigger deal is the new Overwatch feature which is still in beta.

Uiki

Yeah while that bug can be annoying at times, it isn't really game breaking for me at least. Not high on my priority list. But then again, it seems like something that should be easy enough to fix.

And that's why i'm baffled. Even if, for you, it's not high on your priority list I think that you can understand if I say that is still higher than some cosmetic stuff.

Still curious about what you meant about anti cheat stuff. Cheating isn't something easily fixed, but it's also something Valve is working on. Aside from updating VAC, the bigger deal is the new Overwatch feature which is still in beta.

It seems incredible that a third party client (even if it's from that esea-scumbags-bunch) is able to detect almost every hack and valve 1st party anticheat is so easily beaten.

And that's why i'm baffled. Even if, for you, is not high on your priority list I think that you can understand if I say that is still higher than some cosmetic stuff.

No, not really. Valve is not a charity. Going f2p and adding cosmetic stuff will do more for their wallets than fixing this bug, which seems easily fixable. I do not actually have any experience to know whether it is easy to fix or not. Don't know about you. Either way, my answer is still no.

It seems incredible that a third party client (even if it's from that esea-scumbags-bunch) is able to detect almost every hack and valve 1st party anticheat is so easily beaten.

I'll believe this when I see it.

Uiki

No, not really. Valve is not a charity. Going f2p and adding cosmetic stuff will do more for their wallets than fixing this bug, which seems easily fixable. I do not actually have any experience to know whether it is easy to fix or not. Don't know about you. Either way, my answer is still no.

I always assumed that it's not an easy fix if it's taking so long.

But not 1 year long, that's simply absurd.

I always wondered if it happens on lan too. I got it while playing offline with bots.

Holy shit I never even thought about "strange" weapons in GO. That's gonna be awesome!

I think "unusual" weapons/items are gonna have to be handled with a little more care than in TF2 though. It just seems like it would make you a way easier target if you have bright green flames shooting out from your head. It's not as big of an issue in TF2 because it's an inherently goofy game, but I just can't see it in GO.

Uiki

The update is now live. Change notes below.

Thanks.

Release Notes for 8/14/2013

[ARMS DEAL UPDATE]

-Visit http://blog.counter-strike.net/armsdeal/ for complete details.

--Ten Weapon Collections have been released.

--Standard and eSports Weapon Cases now available - a portion of the proceeds from eSports Weapon Case Key sales will help support prize pools for upcoming community competitive CS:GO tournaments.

--Weapon Cases have a chance to contain new knives and StatTrak weapons, which track all player kills with that weapon.

--Players can receive decorated weapons through timed item drops, available on any VAC-secure server.

-All Arms Deal Update items can be traded.

-All Arms Deal Update items can be sold and purchased through the Steam Marketplace (visit the FAQ for details).

-Every decorated weapon has a unique finish and exterior condition and can be thoroughly inspected in game. The ability to launch the in-game inspection view for an item is available in the Steam Inventory, Community Market, and Steam Trading.

[UI]

-Upgraded Scaleform version to 4.2.

-Improved memory management of Scaleform UI elements.

-Added Inventory to Main Menu and the In-Game Pause Menu.

-Added Loadout to Main Menu and the In-Game Pause Menu.

-Added blog.counter-strike.net blog to the main menu

-Added drop shadows to some UI element text for improved readability.

-Improved some HUD layouts to avoid overlap.

-Game no longer truncates player names in most HUD UI elements. Fonts will now scale down to fit the full string.

-When a player picks up a weapon, the original owner of that weapon will now be indicated.

-Fixed certain buttons missing clicks

[GAMEPLAY]

-Added Silenced M4A1.

-Added Silenced USP.

-New weapons can be equipped through the Inventory UI.

-When a player reloads their weapon, they now drop a magazine that persists in the world.

-Machine gun belts now visually match the ammo count in the viewmodel when firing and reloading.

-Added holdable action key +lookatweapon that allows players to visually inspect their first person weapon while in-game. This has been bound to the F key by default (if that key was previously unbound).

-Players now automatically crouch while planting bombs.

[MATCHMAKING]

-Adding matchmaking servers in Brazil.

I'm kinda baffled that people are automatically assuming that we aren't getting balance changes and that all we are getting are skins/keys/crates in this patch.

lol

jediyoshi

Damn, I miss payback mm. Wish they just had a constantly rotating set of those going on at a time.

edit: oops, didn't realize it was still in

Radix

Neo Member
-When a player reloads their weapon, they now drop a magazine that persists in the world.

Awesome.

This update is okay. I thought it would be a lot worse. Valve needs to start working on gameplay updates asap.

KingKong

I posted this in the update thread but here are the stats on the new weps: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsjHOZJ9JckvdDBxOE5wZmdFTm14R0RqT0dXNW9Sdnc#gid=2

I'm never shooting a P2000 ever again! Also, I see absolutely no reason to use the unsilenced version of the new weps.

if you want more than 20 bullets. Its all preference, makes sense why they didnt just add silencer to M4 and made it a separate weapon. They should do the same to AK (not silencer but maybe better recoil/less bullets/some other benefit like wallshooting)

fijim

Banned

I'm guessing these aren't just "quick fixes". If it was just a quick fix they would have solved it by now. Anti-cheat is a constant battle, you will never win 100%.

The ghosting thing could be some engine bug, and not just a simple fix.

They also can't stop all content/feature updates b/c that is what keeps players playing and attracts new players.

Weapons are always being buffed and nerfed, and people will complain either way. I mean think about all the bitching there is about the AWP in 1.6, yet it has not been changed in years and years. Now I agree with the P90 being a little too good, but also consider that in 1.6 all sub-machine guns were basically garbage and never used except the MP5 at times. Other guns need to be buffed so they are actually viable IMO.

Clydefrog

I remember playing through the betas of 1.6 that the MP5 was fucking king. You could run and jump and it would still be accurate as hell. I guess that's why those were the betas!

Can someone please explain how choosing the silenced weapon works? Is it true that you need to select it in your load-out pre match and then you cannot used it unsilenced?

Also how much is a key in game USD?

Thanks

jediyoshi

Can someone please explain how choosing the silenced weapon works? Is it true that you need to select it in your load-out pre match and then you cannot used it unsilenced?

Also how much is a key in game USD?

Thanks

Key = $2.50

Yes, you have to equip it in your inventory and then it replaces the regular m4 in the buy menu. You can still de-silence both the usp and m4, but they'll still have the ammo limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom