• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT| The bomb has been planted

Status
Not open for further replies.

valeo

Getting back into CS for the first time since 1.6. I started playing around beta 6.5 but I feel like a complete newb now. What are these new guns? Do I need to use them or do people still use the ak/colt? Why does the colt only have a 20 ammo clip? What is the decoy grenade used for tactics-wise? Are flame grenades used a lot in competitive play?

Also, people talking about all these different modes - what is this bravo thing and is all this matchmaking mostly for console players or do people not just look in the server browser and choose a random server like they used to?

TheExodu5

Banned
Read my post above.

As for the colt...the silenced version has a smaller clip and less ammo. The upside is that it's silenced, it doesn't have tracers, and it's a bit more accurate. Decoys have limited use, but they can come in handy sometimes. They're usually obvious and don't fool anyone, but for $50 they can sometimes come in handy as a distraction or feigning a flash. Flame grenades aren't used all that much in competitive. Smokes grenades are generally better for the money.

Matchmaking is what makes CS:GO for me. Easiest way to get into competitive, if you're not keen on joining ESEA.

edit: gee, this last match was a bit one sided. Sometimes matchmaking is just weird.

K0ehp8Y.png

sega4ever

Well there are a lot of elements that matter in this game, not limited to the following:

1) Aim
2) Weapon knowledge
3) Team coordination
4) Recoil control (this applies separately to all weapons)
5) Movement control (knowing how to stop quickly and take a quick, accurate burst is very important)
6) Map knowledge
7) Sound awareness (listen for your enemies)
8) Game sense (sensing where your enemies might be...playing a lot will develop your game sense)

The more you play the more these will improve.

Here are some tips:

To improve your aim, it's important that you have your mouse and sensitivity configured correctly. Make sure you don't have mouse acceleration on (in your Windows mouse settings, uncheck "Enhance pointer precision". Next, I suggest you don't keep sensitivity too high. The lower your sensitivity, the more consistent and precise you can be, at the expense of a slower turning speed. My personal preference is to have it so that a full swipe across my mousepad (11") rotates me 270 degrees in game. You might want to have it higher than that if you're not accustomed to a high sensitivity but I wouldn't really go more than double that if you can.

Weapon knowledge...all I mean here is knowing what weapon is good and in what situation. For most cases, I'd recommend you stick to buying the following weapons: P250, MP7, P90, AK47, M4A1/M4A4, AWP. There may be situations where you'd want a Nova, Mag7, AUG, or auto-sniper, but the former should have you covered. A reduced arsenal will make it easier to get practice with the most used weapons in the game.

Team coordination and competitive game flow. It's important to know when to buy, what to buy, and how to play as a team. If you win the pistol round, I recommend that most of the team goes with MP7s for a few reasons: you get more money per kill, your opponents are unlikely to be wearing helmets so the MP7 will be particularly deadly, and if you do lose you'll only be giving your opponents SMGs, while you'll still be able to afford weapons the next round. After that, coordinating money is important. If only some team members buy and others do not, you're likely to lose the round. If everyone can't afford a rifle, vest, and helmet, it's usually a good idea to save for a round. For a save round, the P250 is a good weapon, as is the Nova in certain positions.

You can practice recoil control by yourself in game. First off, know that for most guns, you don't want to be moving while shooting them (though SMGs and shotguns can be an exception to that). You'll have the option of either bursting, or going full auto. If you're bursting, it's good to side step in between bursts. Every gun has a different bursting ability. The AK47 is accurate on it's first shot, and nearly just as accurate on it's second shot, so one or two shot bursts are recommended. For the M4, especially in the case of the silenced one, it can be accurate on its first two shots, and the third shot might just go a little high, so you can do two or three shot bursts while bringing your mouse down for the third shot. The best thing to do is to just practice against a wall in a local game. Practice side stepping and bursting a target. For full auto, you want to probably be at a standstill. Every gun has a somewhat predictable spray pattern. Go in a local game, spray at a wall, and notice the repeated pattern. Learn to counter that pattern and try to keep your bullets going in the same place...this takes a lot of practice.

Movement control, map knowledge, and game awareness should come with time.

For sound awareness, you'll want to be playing with headphones will having the volume high enough to hear footsteps, reloads, weapon switches, bomb plants, and other sounds which will help you pinpoint enemy locations.

where does the 5-7 and tec 9 fit into all of this?

TheExodu5

Banned
where does the 5-7 and tec 9 fit into all of this?

Heh, well like I said it's just a general rule. The P250 is the best pistol for the money.

Personally though, I really like the 5-7...it's basically a P250 with a big clip, though I'd wager it's a bit more accurate when rapid firing while not moving. And I have a red skin for it. <3 It's my favorite pistol, so despite being worse value than the P250, I do tend to buy it when I'm CT. The Tec-9 really isn't very good as it's horribly inaccurate, but it does do a lot of damage for such a fast shooting gun so it can be fun to use sometimes, particularly if you're playing close range.

valeo

Read my post above.

As for the colt...the silenced version has a smaller clip and less ammo. The upside is that it's silenced, it doesn't have tracers, and it's a bit more accurate. Decoys have limited use, but they can come in handy sometimes. They're usually obvious and don't fool anyone, but for $50 they can sometimes come in handy as a distraction or feigning a flash. Flame grenades aren't used all that much in competitive. Smokes grenades are generally better for the money.

Matchmaking is what makes CS:GO for me. Easiest way to get into competitive, if you're not keen on joining ESEA.

edit: gee, this last match was a bit one sided. Sometimes matchmaking is just weird.

K0ehp8Y.png

Cheers for the info man; appreciate it.

Not sure I see the attraction of PUG-type competitive matches; whole point for me was being in that clan environment with people you play with every day - sorting out tactics etc.

Uriah

Any advice for using the AK-47? I struggle to control the recoil and do way better with the other terrorist rifles.

Anyone else having trouble buying keys ? All I get is this -

2013-10-03_00001vwkxk.jpg

The only way to get rid of that tiny white box is to hit the enter key, which brings up the Steam Support web page in the overlay. I close the overlay and it just sits on "Checking Out".

Its probably doing me a favour ....

Rixxan

Not sure I see the attraction of PUG-type competitive matches; whole point for me was being in that clan environment with people you play with every day - sorting out tactics etc.

I like to think its akin to playing adult hockey in an A league vs a D or C league.

I used to play very competitive clan matches when I was younger and had time to work on tactics and teamwork. Just because I don't have the time for the teamwork and organization and time spent practicing anymore doesn't mean I want to play with random groups of people. Id rather hop on and have a competitive match against similarly skilled players - Its much more fun for me that way.

lower your sensitivity

Sensitivity has nothing to do with recoil control. Though if you're talking about general aim then yes, lowering sensitivity can help.

I hate playing HL2 and then coming to GO because my sensitivity is way higher in HL2 so it feels like molasses when I start playing GO.

valeo

I like to think its akin to playing adult hockey in an A league vs a D or C league.

I used to play very competitive clan matches when I was younger and had time to work on tactics and teamwork. Just because I don't have the time for the teamwork and organization and time spent practicing anymore doesn't mean I want to play with random groups of people. Id rather hop on and have a competitive match against similarly skilled players - Its much more fun for me that way.

Fair enough :)

btw am finding the AK harder to control than in 1.6 - have they upped the recoil?

mhayze

So I'm finding most classic competitive "Find a game" games a lot easier than the usual competitive community servers that I have bookmarked. What's your experience?

ksan

btw am finding the AK harder to control than in 1.6 - have they upped the recoil?

The most important thing is that it's different, but it's definitely not hard once you get used to it (except for spraying). Try shooting on a wall for a 2 minutes and you should figure it out.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Oh God I'm crying. I was just in a game and the CT tried to defuse a kit on the ground thinking it was the bomb, and he started typing stuff like "wtf", "why won't it defuse". Needless to say the bomb blew and we won. Funniest thing I've seen in CS:GO.

feel

Oh God I'm crying. I was just in a game and the CT tried to defuse a kit on the ground thinking it was the bomb, and he started typing stuff like "wtf", "why won't it defuse". Needless to say the bomb blew and we won. Funniest thing I've seen in CS:GO.
Ha! Love that stuff.

Not as funny but a few weeks back we were CTs in Dust 2 and get rushed at B by 3 guys with the bomb, we and the other B guy leave and then retake killing all 3, then my friend who just hauled ass from A rushes into B and spends the longest time trying to defuse a dropped bomb on site that was never planted, we didn't notice what his random looking at ground behavior was all about until he started raging and panicking on mic that the defuse wasn't working. "uuh.. dude, it's not planted.." lol

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
what's dis update

[MAPS]
Ali:
-Updated with bugfixes.

[UI]
-Updated the spectator UI
--Spectator UI shows all weapons that a player has equipped instead of just the grenades and currently equipped.
--Moved the armor icons off of the player avatar and updated icon placements.
--Added Team Round Value display when spectating that shows the current equipment value of the alive members of a team versus the other team.
-Updated map selector UI to show more maps on a single page.
-Fixed usp-s and m4a1-s icons not showing up in the spectator hud.
-If the max rounds is set to > 999, it will display in the spectator UI as "--".
-Fixed weapon icons being scaled improperly in the team scoreboard in Arms Race Mode.

[MISC]
-Grenades no longer bounce off chickens.
-Fixed a money exploit in official competitive matchmaking.
-Fixed potential issue where round backups could incorrectly restore some players as dead.
-Fixed round backups not correctly restoring StatTrak knives for players.
-Fixed a bug downloading workshop maps with Steam set to a non-English language.
-Fixed additional memory leaks.

feel

- Whoa never played this map before.
- Me neither.

My teammates at the start of every bravo competitive match.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
- Me neither.

People like that are just assholes. At least familiarize yourself with the map before jumping into competitive. Wasting an hour because derp 1 and derp 2 don't give a shit really sucks.

mhayze

- Me neither.

I'll admit, that's me. I've played only 1 bravo compet. map so far. I will now practice with bots or on community before re-attempting.
I did win that 1 map though, mostly because of team.

Uiki

Any advice for using the AK-47? I struggle to control the recoil and do way better with the other terrorist rifles.

I found way easier to not spray more than 6/7 bullets (the almost vertical part of the spray pattern).

In almost every situation you can use less bullets to kill someone.

I try to train offline (dust 2 on long, infinite ammo, no reload) 20 min per day before I start a competitive match. 10 min of shooting 4-5 burst on a wall trying to keep all the bullets as close as possible (medium to long distances, strafe stopping and stuff) and 10 mins with bots/holding angles.

Also, try aim_redline (if you are in EU there's a 24/7 dm server on that map). I cannot believe how much my ak aim is improved since i started playing regularly on it.

KingKong

just got my second bravo case, this one sold for $3.60 ($3.15 profit) instantly. So now I basically made like 6 bucks from buying the pass. <3 Steam market

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
just got my second bravo case, this one sold for $3.60 ($3.15 profit) instantly. So now I basically made like 6 bucks from buying the pass. <3 Steam market

It's great. I'm just selling all my bravo cases to fund keys, when I have 10 I'll open some normal cases and hope I get lucky.

Take that back

I've got the rope, lets get him.

Fuck that. I'll settle for nothing less than burning him at the stake.

awwwww helllll naw

Like Clyde said I used to like it in 1.6 but now it's so damn boring. I'm not sure what happened but yeah, I'll take played-out Dust 2 over cbble any day of the week.

confession: I really don't like Nuke. That map is so boring to play and incredibly unbalanced for CTs

Now this is just wrong.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was feeling lucky so I bought 3 keys and opened some cases and I got a StatTrak M4A1-S | Dark Water (Minimal Wear), it's also my first StatTrak so yay :D

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How many keys have you bought so far?

Until just now, about 8. However I just bought 12 so I'd say around 20 total. I just unlocked all 12 and I got back to back factory new AWPs, which paid for the keys on their own. I also got another StatTrak M4, 2 Dragon Glocks and a bunch of trash. It's a good thing I don't have more money because it's really addictive.

valeo

Anyone getting memory leaks? FPS was dropping from 150 to 5 every 10 secs or if I saw someone last night. Driving me mental.

Weird thing is, I topped the table in a competitive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom