• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT2| Gambling, VACations, Giveaways & DDoS

CoolS

That smoke shit doesn't surprise me. Still left over issues from source that weren't fixed at all. I remember source had a sit in smoke advantage where you saw better while sitting in it. That needs work badly.
Smokes worked differrnt before they "fixed" one way smokes. Back then you at least saw the enemy roughly around the same time they saw you when pushing a smoke. But at this point so much time has passed that I suspect this might be "working as intended" and will never be changed.

Btw i hope we'll see a pat h again this week after not getting one last week because of Aspen.

MayMay

Banned
I really don't like Steel, so the news that he'll now be unable to participate in any Valve sponsored CSGO event makes me very happy.

soultron

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks this is an incredibly weak, non-committal response?

It doesn't sound like Valve is outright banning the implicated players/admins from participating in Valve-sponsored events, merely that they're trying to get organizers to pretty please don't let them participate.

Xizk

I really don't like Steel, so the news that he'll now be unable to participate in any Valve sponsored CSGO event makes me very happy.

I really liked him so I'm really disappointed he would "gamble" away his career. He had been playing lights out lately. Also the nr 1 US team is no more. Now Hiko + Ska are teamless. Wonder what team they can join.

K.Sabot

NA IS BUSTED

DEAD

How did Skadoodle get out of it? By being Skadoodle and not communicating about anything Kappa. But seriously, during that game Swag was awping and it takes Skadoodle allowing that to happen for it to happen.

impact

Banned
So we just lost our best player and our only decent IGL

RIP NA CS

e: Hiko and Skadoodle could make noise on CLG or something I guess? I dunno where they'll end up

Omega

Banned

swag nooo

at least Skadoodle is safe. now someone just get that man to communicate so NA can have a real AWPer

impact apparently Hiko said he would want to go to Torqued as he thought they were the next best NA team

also fuck steel. i had nothing against him but he started mocking the situation when the dailydot article came out. A) it was stupid B) he fucked up tarik's stream because I had to hear his stupidity. glad his ass got the boot. be like the rest of the guys and don't say shit

Do you guys have Multicore Rendering enabled? Turned it off today cause I read it causes a few extra ms of input lag and my aim feels way more responsive. Does anyone else feel a difference when turning it off?

Xizk

He's also banned from doing observing at ESL which sucks a lot as he was great at it. So tired of bad camera work and missing a lot of action.

This whole situation is hilarious.

I admit that my first reaction was to burst into laughter. But thinking about it more closely, this is more sad than anything. Aside from the fact that some people basically had their items stolen, this whole situation just means that the NA scene has lost some serious talent. As someone who wants CS:GO to turn global, it's very sad. NA have a bigger presence than SA or Asia, but still lagging noticeably behind EU. It's not like the NA scene is dead after this, but it's still a waste of talent it could do without.

ironmang

Good. Fuck those guys. I know CSGL has risks but with millions of dollars being exchanged on there, they need to constantly make examples of the people who throw.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I mean I know match fixing obviously is a shitty thing to do and should be punished but banning them for 1 year would have been enough of a precedent to scare off the other players. This seems a bit too harsh imo.
I feel really bad for Swag especially. How old is he 18? Had his entire career ahead of him and now this. Didn't he even throw High School to focus solely on CS?

Anyway, what do Hiko and Skadoodle do now? C9 makes the most sense of course but I don't know if they would accept Hiko back again or if Hiko wants to go back himself.
Other than that Team Liquid would make the most sense for Daps and Fugly but they are under contract so I don't know.

Even in real sports players don't get banned for life for match fixing.

Omega

Banned
So where do Hiko and Skadoodle go from here?

Maybe get a motivated Shroud who wants to be more than a bum in international competition and try to get a new team.

ironmang

I mean I know match fixing obviously is a shitty thing to do and should be punished but banning them for 1 year would have been enough of a precedent to scare off the other players. This seems a bit too harsh imo.
I feel really bad for Swag especially. How old is he 18? Had his entire career ahead of him and now this. Didn't he even throw High School to focus solely on CS?

Anyway, what do Hiko and Skadoodle do now? C9 makes the most sense of course but I don't know if they would accept Hiko back again or if Hiko wants to go back himself.
Other than that Team Liquid would make the most sense for Daps and Fugly but they are under contract so I don't know.

CSGL basically has official support from steam so them throwing fucks over a lot of people. It's basically theft. I hope this gets enforced even by non-official valve supported tournaments.

Honestly I don't even feel bad for Hiko or Skadoodle either. They're insane players and will definitely have interest in them from all sides. Might end up ringing for a season before spots open though.

udiie

I admit that my first reaction was to burst into laughter. But thinking about it more closely, this is more sad than anything. Aside from the fact that some people basically had their items stolen, this whole situation just means that the NA scene has lost some serious talent. As someone who wants CS:GO to turn global, it's very sad. NA have a bigger presence than SA or Asia, but still lagging noticeably behind EU. It's not like the NA scene is dead after this, but it's still a waste of talent it could do without.
Nah I mean in a "lol you didn't think this would somehow come back and completely bite you in the ass" kind of way

cHinzo

Ha, so deserved. Especially for that fcker Steel. Yeah, this is what u get for throwing and fixing games. Was afraid that Valve wouldn't have the balls to do stuff like this.

chessnut

As I said in a previous post, it's partly the tournament organizers, teams, and valve's fault this happened. They allowed betting to go on unregulated. Yeah obviously it's wrong to throw on purpose and profit off of it, everyone knows that. But without rules and punishments laid out, it creates the temptations to do these things. It's such a fucking shame people like swag and azk are banned. Swag was fucking 17 year old when it happened, we all do stupid shit when we're young. I feel so bad for these dudes...

chessnut

Another thing, now that csgl apparently has the tools to look up betting histories more efficiently to catch match-fixers, why don't they see what other matches cud has placed bets on. Then they can see if the players in those matches bet on the match themselves, either on their main or alt accounts. It's naive to think this is the only match that has been fixed. Rallen from ESC max bet on that ESL Poland match that led to bans, why isn't he banned from valve events...

ironmang

As I said in a previous post, it's partly the tournament organizers, teams, and valve's fault this happened. They allowed betting to go on unregulated. Yeah obviously it's wrong to throw on purpose and profit off of it, everyone knows that. But without rules and punishments laid out, it creates the temptations to do these things. It's such a fucking shame people like swag and azk are banned. Swag was fucking 17 year old when it happened, we all do stupid shit when we're young. I feel so bad for these dudes...

Why? They know millions of dollars are on each game and still threw. They knew they had fans who had confidence in them and would bet accordingly. Doesn't matter if they're young or not. Knowing steel they probably even laughed about this shit when it was happening. I really do hope Valve sticks to their guns and keeps these guys banned for good.

KingKong

Another thing, now that csgl apparently has the tools to look up betting histories more efficiently to catch match-fixers, why don't they see what other matches cud has placed bets on. Then they can see if the players in those matches bet on the match themselves, either on their main or alt accounts. It's naive to think this is the only match that has been fixed. Rallen from ESC max bet on that ESL Poland match that led to bans, why isn't he banned from valve events...

its not betting histories, its item transfers

cHinzo

Why? They know millions of dollars are on each game and still threw. They knew they had fans who had confidence in them and would bet accordingly. Doesn't matter if they're young or not. Knowing steel they probably even laughed about this shit when it was happening. I really do hope Valve sticks to their guns and keeps these guys banned for good.

Exactly. Those scums deserved their bans. At least Skadoodle had nothing to do with it.

chessnut

I'm not saying that they're not scumbags for doing what they did. They betrayed their fans, no question about it. And yeah, steel and dazed come off as selfish d-bags. That being said, gambling is a vice. It needs to be regulated, punishments and rules need to be clearly put out. If I was on a pro team on lounge and I saw that the odds for my team to win are 80%, the thought of placing a bet on the other team and me throwing the match for 'ez skins' would definitely cross my mind. But if you were to tell me that if I do that, I will never get to play competitive cs again, I wouldn't even think about doing that. Yeah there are still gonna be people like dazed and steel who would probably think of an elaborate way to not get caught, but the majority of people would never risk it.

Odah

Banned
FXiY96k.png

ironmang

I'm not saying that they're not scumbags for doing what they did. They betrayed their fans, no question about it. And yeah, steel and dazed come off as selfish d-bags. That being said, gambling is a vice. It needs to be regulated, punishments and rules need to be clearly put out. If I was on a pro team on lounge and I saw that the odds for my team to win are 80%, the thought of placing a bet on the other team and me throwing the match for 'ez skins' would definitely cross my mind. But if you were to tell me that if I do that, I will never get to play competitive cs again, I wouldn't even think about doing that. Yeah there are still gonna be people like dazed and steel who would probably think of an elaborate way to not get caught, but the majority of people would never risk it.

What did they think would happen if found out? Obviously you're talking of having no sponsors ever again and being banned from that particular league/tournament series. They should just be happy that their form of theft won't result in legal action.

As good as they were, new players will replace and probably even surpass them quickly.

As good as they were, new players will replace and probably even surpass them quickly.

Yep. I'm always surprised at how there's like 20 new 17 year old wunderkinds always right around the corner just waiting for the right spot to open up. The scene will recover faster than most people think, and it will be better for this.

ironmang

Yep. I'm always surprised at how there's like 20 new 17 year old wunderkinds always right around the corner just waiting for the right spot to open up. The scene will recover faster than most people think, and it will be better for this.

Just look at ptr. I remember his first lounge match people were refusing to bet on his team since he had almost no history. Few months later he's a big part of the reason they were able to upset possibly the best team in the world.

Honestly I hope we see some crazy team with Hiko, skadoodle, and 2/3 up-and-comers depending where desi ends up.

Omega

Banned

someone like nitr0 can easily replace the talent lost by swag.

however, we're not replacing IGLs. The ones we lost weren't even that great to begin with but far better than what we currently have and what looks to be coming up.

chessnut

What did they think would happen if found out? Obviously you're talking of having no sponsors ever again and being banned from that particular league/tournament series. They should just be happy that their form of theft won't result in legal action.

I mean they didn't even try to hide the fact that they didn't give a shit about the match. Steel awping and buying pistols when they could afford rifles. So I'm not so sure they knew the consequences of their actions.

I hope you're right about new players replacing them. It will take longer than you think though. I'd be surprised if an NA team makes it past groups at any of the majors this year. You can quote me on that.

Top Bottom