• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive |OT2| Gambling, VACations, Giveaways & DDoS

Arucardo

I see :eek: .

For me the strobelight program "tricks" my display in to 3D-mode to get the strobing effect. The monitor has a trace free feature for motion blur but I found it to be rubbish, nothing like using the strobing effect.

Benq has it built in the option. Just by turning it on reduces the brightness by 58% according to Tomshardware. It's basically playing with an extremely dimmed out screen.

LogicStep

Can I ask what sets this game apart from the other fps out there? I've been watching streams and it looks fun and the price right now is tempting but I just want to know how it compares to other games in the genre.

garath

Can I ask what sets this game apart from the other fps out there? I've been watching streams and it looks fun and the price right now is tempting but I just want to know how it compares to other games in the genre.

Of all the fps games I've ever played. It's the one that most rewards skill. You can ALWAYS get better at the game it and it extremely rewarding to do so. Despite that it can be eased into and a lot of fun. It's been one of the most popular fps games for years for good reason. Worth the money hands down.

moojito

I've been playing CS super casually for years. I've recently started playing cs go quite a lot for some reason. It feels weird that I have that 5 years service badge and am still getting things like the "win 100 dust 2 rounds" award while playing.

Anyway all I'm doing is going to the casual tab, selecting the active duty option and hitting start game. I've no idea about the ranking system or the ranked matches side of things. Is it just for people that already have groups/clans on the go? I can't imagine you can just queue up for a game with 4 random people and expect a proper game? Are people expected to know a standard set of strategies for each map before getting into this?

Have any of you lot come across any simple guides/intro to the ranked system? I tried a spot of googling for it, but everything seems to be either "cs 101 - don't run while shooting" basic intro to the game or just videos of the top clans playing.

CS is unique, nothing else like it TBH. The game's weapon economy is probably its most unique feature.

I've been playing CS super casually for years. I've recently started playing cs go quite a lot for some reason. It feels weird that I have that 5 years service badge and am still getting things like the "win 100 dust 2 rounds" award while playing.

Anyway all I'm doing is going to the casual tab, selecting the active duty option and hitting start game. I've no idea about the ranking system or the ranked matches side of things. Is it just for people that already have groups/clans on the go? I can't imagine you can just queue up for a game with 4 random people and expect a proper game? Are people expected to know a standard set of strategies for each map before getting into this?

Have any of you lot come across any simple guides/intro to the ranked system? I tried a spot of googling for it, but everything seems to be either "cs 101 - don't run while shooting" basic intro to the game or just videos of the top clans playing.

There are some videos linked in the OP from a current CS pro player named Adren in the OP that should be a great starting point.

Omega

Banned

It's nothing like any other FPS so it's hard to compare it to anything.

CS can either be one of the most casual of shooters or one of the most hardcore. You can just stick to casual or just play regular comp and aside from the smurfs you'll be playing people at your skill level, so you'll never be really outmatched even if you just play it casually.

or you can take the time to learn the recoil patterns (each gun has a different one) so you can have spray control, learn how the economy works, when you should buy, what you should buy. Learning how to strafe jump and all that nonsense so you don't need to be boosted to certain spots.

CS is one of those games I feel can appeal to everyone. It offers so much from competitive, casual, gun game, deathmatch and then there's all the community modes like scoutzknives, KZ, surf and zombies of course.

moojito

There are some videos linked in the OP from a current CS pro player named Adren in the OP that should be a great starting point.

Cheers for the suggestion, but that's not what I'm after. These videos are awesome (I'm actually subscribed to his channel on youtube as well as warowl), but are about tactics and general high level play. I'm just looking for an overview of how the ranked match system works.

Wunder

I don't really know your gaming history so I'll just be basic - Counter-strike is a team-based FPS that cornered the tactical aspect of the market extremely early on. While Quake and Unreal dominated the arena and twitch-shooter game, Counter-strike stood alone in its space and has carved a niche out for itself.

To compare it to other FPSes in current day would be difficult, it isn't fast paced like CoD or Tribes, nor is it hyper realistic like Arma or Insurgency. It's a mix of both, there are moments of explosive gameplay that might remind you of a CoD frag clip or slow tactics that utilize specific grenade throws and voice communication that might make you think that it's an Insurgency match, but that's what makes CS special. The ability for it to switch back and forth and have the slow moments interspersed with adrenalin-pumping, heart-stopping action is what sets it apart from other FPSes, for me anyway.

It will take some time to get used to though, not many people can jump straight in and immediately get what the 'right' way to play is and how people can play the same 3-5 maps for the past decade, but hopefully you'll see soon enough!

Cheers for the suggestion, but that's not what I'm after. These videos are awesome (I'm actually subscribed to his channel on youtube as well as warowl), but are about tactics and general high level play. I'm just looking for an overview of how the ranked match system works.

Ranked is best played with a team. It's a team-based game so going in solo isn't going to produce the best possible result. That being said, it is very possible to have a good match as a solo queuer, it's really just adding more variables. With a 5 stack, you kind of know what you're getting into, but you can still have the occasional bad match where a teammate has different goals than you and you clash. In Solo that's very much the case as well, just that it may happen a bit more often. If you're the type of player that gets angry quickly, you might want to find some friends fast - but if you are eager to learn and just play in a relaxed manner, I think it's a good place to start learning the basics. Trying to form good habits in solo queue is important as well, as I've encountered some solo players that get invited into a stack with me and their attitude is still in the solo mindset, lone wolfing it and just goofing around. If you can, try and keep up a team mentality and work together with your team.

There will be scenarios where you have people who just don't respond well to you and that's fine, you just have to accept it and move on at some point. As to your question about standard set of strategies, even in 'high level' PUGs, there isn't a great deal of strategy involved, and in normal matchmaking, on T side, it's generally just rushing a site or 'playing for picks', which is just taking it slower than a rush and taking some map control and seeing if you can pick off an overeager CT. On CT side, it's generally just 2 B site, 1 mid and 2 A site for most maps. There are some maps where you may want 3 A or 2 mid or something, but generally thats the set up at the beginning and it may shift as you read how the Terrorists play/rush certain sites.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I can't imagine you can just queue up for a game with 4 random people and expect a proper game? Are people expected to know a standard set of strategies for each map before getting into this?

You can match up with 4 other players and still have a competent game, people do it all the time. It's easier to go with a group though.

Ranked works like this, you start on one side, play 15 rounds, then swap sides. First person to 16 wins. After 10 games won, you will be placed in a rank where valve has determined based on your ability (not sure what factors into it to be honest).

Learning maps and call outs is important but if you're new, people should be able to help out. I can always play with you to help show you some of the ropes.

Ah, sorry! I just woke up so my mind is a little foggy.

You don't have to be a member of a clan or have friends to play the ranked MM, the system will try and match you with people of equal skill. However you will not be ranked until you win your first 10 matches.

Omega

Banned
I've no idea about the ranking system or the ranked matches side of things. Is it just for people that already have groups/clans on the go? I can't imagine you can just queue up for a game with 4 random people and expect a proper game? Are people expected to know a standard set of strategies for each map before getting into this?
You play a 5v5 with very basic strats or playing off picks. Matchmaking for the most part is decided by who has better aim.

There's not really much complex stuff like you see in pro tournaments. No one is playing inferno and smoking off pit/arch and throwing 100 flashes into sites unless they're a premade.

You play a 5v5 with very basic strats or playing off picks. Matchmaking for the most part is decided by who has better aim.

There's not really much complex stuff like you see in pro tournaments. No one is playing inferno and smoking off pit/arch and throwing 100 flashes into sites unless they're a premade.

Exactly.

You'll want to know the basics of how the economy works though.

moojito

Cheers for the explanations folks. I was worried I'd queue up for a ranked game and hear over comms "ok we're doing a mid b split - Moo, smoke off the window from the x box at 1:05" and I'd be like "I understood some of those words!"

garath

So how many placement matches are you allowed per day in competitive now? I have Wed off and the wife has given me leeway to play all day. I plan on knocking off as many as the game lets me. Maybe I'll get a placement sometime in the next year lol

Kind of a terrible time to start competitive with the damn sale but whatever. I gotta play when I can play. Tired of casual.

Wunder

So how many placement matches are you allowed per day in competitive now? I have Wed off and the wife has given me leeway to play all day. I plan on knocking off as many as the game lets me. Maybe I'll get a placement sometime in the next year lol

Kind of a terrible time to start competitive with the damn sale but whatever. I gotta play when I can play. Tired of casual.

2 wins I think.

Man, your game looks so smooth. Everyone is getting these 144hz monitors, and I am sitting here with my old 120hz :(.

120 and 144 is not a huge increase. I say wait for 288! That'll happen when a new standard of display plug comes out to increase bandwidth I guess.

Overdoziz

Banned
v9WL6EN.png

woo almost hit 350k players

I'm curious at how high it'll get. I'm remember launch and about the first year of CSGO, almost nobody would play it. Source alway had more players, most people wouldn't make the switch. Then the Arms Deal update came out and that's when it blew up.

Nice seeing it do so well.

MayMay

Banned
^ lol.

Also, you got a namechange? Damn. And the mods keep ignoring me. I can imagine it's because of this Mayyhem dude, but might as well just tell me instead of just ignoring my message :<

Top Bottom