• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

No studies have shown that either is better most likely because its difficult to prove, but both do. Getting the shot is easy and relying on Twitter and Fox News for accurate info is dangerous.

This isn't chickenpox where you can say just get it and you are done.
I mean it seems a lot like chicken pox thus far. Actually, reinfections appear less serious by comparison. People get chicken pox more than once. Lots of people. We just call it shingles, which is much more painful. Covid reinfections appear to be rare and generally more mild than initial infection.

I get what you’re saying about the shot. But the shots come with risks as well, which while very low, are not irrelevant. Someone who has recovered from covid should not be forced to take on those risks when there doesn’t seem to be any significant benefit to getting the vaccine for them or anyone else.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Someone who has recovered from covid should not be forced to take on those risks when there doesn’t seem to be any significant benefit to getting the vaccine for them or anyone else.

The risk of being harmed from the vaccines is far, far, FAR lower than the chances of you getting reinfected and transmitting it to someone else.

Studies show an 83% effectiveness at preventing future infection or transmission if you've already had covid (a 1 in 6 chance you could be re-infected, and/or pass it on). https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...but-people-may-still-carry-and-transmit-virus

Studies also show the chances of having blood clots after the vaccine are around a 1 in 92,000 chance. https://fullfact.org/online/risk-children-death-covid/

No brainer really, isn't it?

There is a significant benefit in getting the vaccine even if you've already had covid, not just for you, but for everyone else.

Last edited:

Belgorim

The risk of being harmed from the vaccines is far, far, FAR lower than the chances of you getting reinfected and transmitting it to someone else.

Studies show an 83% effectiveness at preventing future infection or transmission if you've already had covid (a 1 in 6 chance you could be re-infected, and/or pass it on). https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...but-people-may-still-carry-and-transmit-virus

Studies also show the chances of having blood clots after the vaccine are around a 1 in 92,000 chance. https://fullfact.org/online/risk-children-death-covid/

There is a significant benefit in getting the vaccine even if you've already had covid, not just for you, but for everyone else.
Your link says 44 out of 6614 people where possibly reinfected (2 probable, 42 possible). How did they come to the conclusion that represents an 83 % effectiveness?

They also say it is between 83 % and 99 %, since if only 2 of them where actual reinfections, that is what it amounts to (according to their weird math?)

This is not at all close to what has been observed here in Sweden with health care workers. Though of course now when they are all vaccinated it will be hard to do follow-ups.

Edit: Went and dug a bit in the report and found the answer myself. They compare with the group without anti-bodies where 318 people had positive PCR-tests (+94 on anti-body tests), they then assume all 44 of these where reinfections and also assume everyone had an equal chance of being infected. Comparing these two groups the assumption would be that ~260 people should have been infected in the "already immune" group had they not already been exposed before.

Edit2: The report does not focus at all on the possibilities of these reinfections actually being able to transmit it to others. One would assume that the chance of that happening is way lower than someone getting it the first time since symptomatic people should be the real danger here.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

You can't say this in confidence until we have long term data on these new vaccines.

Of course not. They don't exist yet. But the short term data clearly and undoubtedly prove that the vaccines are far, far safer than having covid, getting it more than once, and passing it on to other people.

You're using non existent data to support your argument.

Good luck with that.

FunkMiller

The fact that it's non existent is my whole point...

Good grief. You can't base your opinions and decisions on data or information that does not exist.

Frustrated Fuck My Life GIF

Vaccine effectiveness seems to be very similar to natural immunity. So it’s not a no brainer at all, as it appears that people contract covid post vaccine at essentially the same rate. Also, blood clots are not the only risk. We haven’t even been able to quantify the risk of myocarditis for example. That’s a risk we are still discovering. There is clearly the possibility unknown long term risk. Hopefully those risks never materialize, but again, forcing the vaccine on people for whom the benefit just isn’t there is foolishness.

I’ll say it again, just to be clear. The vaccines’ rate of effectiveness is basically the same as the effectiveness of naturally acquired immunity. Mean they have similar chance of acquiring the virus as someone who has been vaccinated. Thus they should not be forced to get the vaccine. It’s really that simple.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

Yep. The only "evidence" that these vaccines are harmful comes from the usual anti-science, grifting "sources". Unfortunately the kinds of people who are gullible enough to read those tweets and fall for them are beyond saving. They'll just keep repeating nonsense and lies until the end of their days.

Meanwhile we need to keep pushing for more vaccinations.

Yep. The only "evidence" that these vaccines are harmful comes from the usual anti-science, grifting "sources". Unfortunately the kinds of people who are gullible enough to read those tweets and fall for them are beyond saving. They'll just keep repeating nonsense and lies until the end of their days.

Meanwhile we need to keep pushing for more vaccinations.

That’s not Twitter. That’s the US military. The risks are clearly very very low. But we are still discovering what those risks are. So that was a bad take.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

That’s not Twitter. That’s the US military. The risks are clearly very very low. But we are still discovering what those risks are. So that was a bad take.

They’re poorly characterized, which is inevitable considering hasn’t even been a year trial cohorts first got inoculated.

vpance

Delta variant is just a vaccine marketing campaign. The whole pandemic is to be honest, but most of you aren't ready to accept that yet.

I think there was still some room to assume incompetence or misunderstanding of data were the main drivers behind the current situation, but at this point it's getting pretty clear there are highly visible groups who would love nothing more to extend or profit off the charade as long as possible. The extreme overselling of Delta is just a straight up flex by them on how easy it must be to mold the narrative.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Nice charts breakdown on the reality of this delta variant.

The UK is well ahead of the rest of the world, since basically the entirety of their COVID cases are the Delta variant. Right now their numbers are on the rise, so definitely worth monitoring to see how things go, but the way some of the media is talking about the potential risks of the Delta variant just does not appear to match reality...

As its share was rapidly increasing in the UK, cases, hospitalizations, and deaths continued to plummet... until they started to recently climb again, which was likely due to easing of restrictions and big soccer events and shit.

I mean it seems a lot like chicken pox thus far. Actually, reinfections appear less serious by comparison. People get chicken pox more than once. Lots of people. We just call it shingles, which is much more painful. Covid reinfections appear to be rare and generally more mild than initial infection.

I get what you’re saying about the shot. But the shots come with risks as well, which while very low, are not irrelevant. Someone who has recovered from covid should not be forced to take on those risks when there doesn’t seem to be any significant benefit to getting the vaccine for them or anyone else.le.
Yes as much as I believe in science there is a chance something down the line could happen but I do trust science in this because this is basically a slight change on Sars research. Where I live 98% of covid cases are people that are not vaccinated. If you get sick and chose not to take the vaccine you should be charged for your hospital stay and not covered by insurance.

Yes as much as I believe in science there is a chance something down the line could happen but I do trust science in this because this is basically a slight change on Sars research. Where I live 98% of covid cases are people that are not vaccinated. If you get sick and chose not to take the vaccine you should be charged for your hospital stay and not covered by insurance.
Haha. Do you think this is some kind of moral position? Because it’s actually quite disgusting. Should type 2 diabetics who don’t take their insulin be left out to dry too? What about asthmatics who don’t take their inhalers? Fat people who continue to gain weight? Or are you just cherry-picking the illnesses you think should ruin people who actually paid for insurance?

Haha. Do you think this is some kind of moral position? Because it’s actually quite disgusting. Should type 2 diabetics who don’t take their insulin be left out to dry too? What about asthmatics who don’t take their inhalers? Fat people who continue to gain weight? Or are you just cherry-picking the illnesses you think should ruin people who actually paid for insurance?
Yes type 2 diabetics that dont take their insulin be responsible for their own stupidity. Yes fat people should be liable for their own doing. What shocks you here....

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So it’s official: cats and dogs get COVID from humans. Which means they’re likely to pass it onto humans as well.

This means human vaccination will never eradicate the virus, wild cats and dogs will be the reservoir.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Far-future archaeologists sorting through the detritus of our lost civilization won't know what to make of that Bud commercial.

Cyberpunkd

I’ll say it again, just to be clear. The vaccines’ rate of effectiveness is basically the same as the effectiveness of naturally acquired immunity. Mean they have similar chance of acquiring the virus as someone who has been vaccinated. Thus they should not be forced to get the vaccine. It’s really that simple.
Are we back once again to March 2020 and UK wanting to speed run it with everyone getting it and having mass immunity? How did that work out for them?

Are we back once again to March 2020 and UK wanting to speed run it with everyone getting it and having mass immunity? How did that work out for them?
Who are you talking to? Who is arguing no one should get the vaccine? Again, we are discussing whether people who already had the virus and recovered should be compelled to get the vaccine.

Cyberpunkd

Who are you talking to? Who is arguing no one should get the vaccine? Again, we are discussing whether people who already had the virus and recovered should be compelled to get the vaccine.
Nobody is forced to take it except healthcare workers, and then only in some countries (Italy, France is discussing it). Unlike the US an employer cannot force you to take the vaccine.

Nobody is forced to take it except healthcare workers, and then only in some countries (Italy, France is discussing it). Unlike the US an employer cannot force you to take the vaccine.
And US college students. There are different levels to compulsion as well. But in the US, they are basically forcing many college students to get the vaccine before they’re allowed on campus at schools they’ve already paid 10s of thousands of dollars to attend. So while they aren’t being “forced” to get the shot, they are definitely having their arms twisted.

Sakura

Well I decided to reserve my vaccination so I should be getting first shot next week. I'm kinda scared though because on the pamphlet under warnings or whatever, it says it is a new vaccine so there could be effects that we are not aware of yet. But I'm also kinda tired of it all and feel like just getting it over with.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1M , and that’s with all the restrictions… just imagine ..

SPANISH flu took about 600k Usaers.

With a total population of around 103,000,000 vs. around 333,000,000 in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
And that’s still with restrictions… just imagine what would have happened..

We are so more connected than back in those days ..

The verdict is still very much out on what the effect of said restrictions actually was.

So it’s official: cats and dogs get COVID from humans. Which means they’re likely to pass it onto humans as well.

This means human vaccination will never eradicate the virus, wild cats and dogs will be the reservoir.
Where have you been? We've known that since the start just about.

sinnergy

Just imagine if they weren't using PCR tests to inflate the case numbers.
Just imagine hospitals that aren’t over run 🤣 don’t know where you have been the past 1,5 years .. but hospitals where overrun even with restrictions.. nothing to do with PCR. Tests, those tests aren’t putting people in the hospital.

Last edited:
Top Bottom