• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

T8SC

Toretto Boris has less than 3 weeks to boost everyone.

fast-and-furious-nitros.gif

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can feel the U.K. going into lockdown. They have blamed one death on the new variant. A tidal wave of covid is on its way. According to Boris. But because they have been pulling shit for a while. I’m not now how truthful they are being.

I think they going to stoke fear. To force a lockdown. Despite party gate.
I’m expecting an announcement Wednesday before schools break up.

I’ve had my third jab. So let’s see what is what. Either way let’s stay safe.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
UK made news today with the ‘first Omicron death in the world’. Boris used it as proof to make a point of Omicron being dangerous, to push boosters and to justify new curbs on freedoms.

The small print?

10 people in the U.K. were in hospital with the Omicron variant

The UK Health Security Agency revealed all of the patients were aged between 18-85.

The UKHSA said one patient – who was diagnosed in hospital, not before they were admitted – had died.

So basically the only known ‘Omicron death’ in the world is someone who was hospitalised for a reason we don’t know - not Covid - and was found to have Omicron before dying.

I am getting my third shot today, but damn if all this doesn’t feel dishonest.

ntropy

With more than 99 percent of students fully vaccinated and many already receiving booster doses, the risk of adverse health outcomes from the Delta variant is low.

sinnergy

Germany now has turbo boosters , boosters after 4 weeks 🤣 now it’s waiting time for the megatron variant .. I feel like I live in a alternate reality , some sort of joke world .

UK made news today with the ‘first Omicron death in the world’. Boris used it as proof to make a point of Omicron being dangerous, to push boosters and to justify new curbs on freedoms.

The small print?

The UK Health Security Agency revealed all of the patients were aged between 18-85.

The UKHSA said one patient – who was diagnosed in hospital, not before they were admitted – had died.

So basically the only known ‘Omicron death’ in the world is someone who was hospitalised for a reason we don’t know - not Covid - and was found to have Omicron before dying.

It's the great covid scam of 2020 to infinity. They've been juicing those numbers for almost two years.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It’s quite mild said most posters here 🤣 disconnected from reality but not the internet .

always the same pattern people, not that hard , so many people that need hospitalization that the system overloads with deaths as outcome .

after 2 years , people should know.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Latest update from EU

All cases for which there is available information on severity were either asymptomatic or mild. There have been no Omicron-related deaths reported thus far.

Meanwhile, got my shot 3 yesteday. Symptoms

Moderna 1 - mild headache
Moderna 2 - sore arm, knocked out tired for a day
Pfizer 3 - 🤷‍♂️

FunkMiller

What are all you conspiracy theorists going to say if omicron is proven to be mild, and the measures put in place are taken away again? Or will you all slope off again, just like when restrictions were lifted when delta got under control?

FunkMiller

Omicron looking to be 29% milder than original Covid:

The issue is level of transmissibility. If it’s much more infectious, it wipes out the positive effect of the disease being milder. Although, it seems we’re also looking at the booster vaccine being effective, which tips things back into positive territory again.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Meanwhile, got my shot 3 yesteday. Symptoms

Moderna 1 - mild headache
Moderna 2 - sore arm, knocked out tired for a day
Pfizer 3 - 🤷‍♂️
Mine:
Moderna 1 - nothing
Moderna 2 - nothing, got hit a few times during boxing the next day, nothing
Moderna 3 + flu in the second arm - nothing

I guess the definition of YMMV.

France - government is making a bet and probably afraid of massively pissing people off a week and a half before Christmas, so no change in rules for now. My guess is they will do something early January.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DragoonKain DragoonKain is this the kind of data you were looking for?

Background​

Mandatory COVID-19 certification (showing vaccination, recent negative test, or proof of recovery) has been introduced in some countries. We aimed to investigate the effect of certification on vaccine uptake.

Methods​

We designed a synthetic control model comparing six countries (Denmark, Israel, Italy, France, Germany, and Switzerland) that introduced certification (April–August, 2021), with 19 control countries. Using daily data on cases, deaths, vaccinations, and country-specific information, we produced a counterfactual trend estimating what might have happened in similar circumstances if certificates were not introduced. The main outcome was daily COVID-19 vaccine doses.

Findings​

COVID-19 certification led to increased vaccinations 20 days before implementation in anticipation, with a lasting effect up to 40 days after. Countries with pre-intervention uptake that was below average had a more pronounced increase in daily vaccinations compared with those where uptake was already average or higher. In France, doses exceeded 55 672 (95% CI 49 668–73 707) vaccines per million population or, in absolute terms, 3 761 440 (3 355 761–4 979 952) doses before mandatory certification and 72 151 (37 940–114 140) per million population after certification (4 874 857 [2 563 396–7 711 769] doses). We found no effect in countries that already had average uptake (Germany), or an unclear effect when certificates were introduced during a period of limited vaccine supply (Denmark). Increase in uptake was highest for people younger than 30 years after the introduction of certification. Access restrictions linked to certain settings (nightclubs and events with >1000 people) were associated with increased uptake in those younger than 20 years. When certification was extended to broader settings, uptake remained high in the youngest group, but increases were also observed in those aged 30–49 years.

Interpretation​

Mandatory COVID-19 certification could increase vaccine uptake, but interpretation and transferability of findings need to be considered in the context of pre-existing levels of vaccine uptake and hesitancy, eligibility changes, and the pandemic trajectory.

Research in context

Evidence before this study

The introduction of COVID-19 certification or vaccine passports, particularly for domestic use, has been linked to reduced self-reported vaccine intentions in some contexts, yet national media and health offices report increases in vaccinations. We examined all English literature until Oct 15, 2021, on Web of Science, Scopus, PubMed, and preprint servers (medRxiv and bioRxiv) with the terms “vaccination certificate”, “COVID-19 certificate”, “health passport”, “health certificate”, “health pass”, “digital health pass”, “health code app”, and “vaccination”, “immunization”, and “immunisation”. We were unable to identify empirical studies that examined the effect of the implementation of mandatory COVID-19 certification on vaccine uptake.

Added value of this study
To our knowledge, this is the first rigorous empirical analysis of the relationship between the introduction of COVID-19 certification and vaccine uptake. Self-reported surveys suggest certification reduces vaccine intentions in certain contexts, and a previous systematic review found a lack of conclusive evidence on whether certification would affect vaccine uptake.

Implications of all the available evidence
Our study provides evidence that mandatory COVID-19 certification restricting access to certain settings can influence vaccine uptake for those groups affected by the intervention. Given higher vaccine complacency and hesitancy in certain groups, such as younger people (<30 years), this intervention could be an additional policy lever to increase vaccine uptake and population-level immunity. Future studies examining more countries and variation by eligibility criteria and factors beyond age are warranted.

NT80

The small print?

So it wasn't Covid like symptoms that caused that person to go to hospital in the first place?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There are a LOT of doctors that kill their patients through incompetence, just as they are a lot of bad lawyers, etc. Being a doctor doesn't make you immune from stupidity, it simply means you finished university.
What makes him stupid or incompetent? How much do you even know about this doctor? I certainly don't know nearly enough about him to make any kind of a judgement on him and I'm willing to bet most people don't either.

DragoonKain DragoonKain is this the kind of data you were looking for?

Was looking for US data. Right now mandates are becoming more common and cases in the US are spiking.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So it wasn't Covid like symptoms that caused that person to go to hospital in the first place?

No. Omicron was an incidental finding after admission.

Some real world data from the first 78,000 Omicron cases. Tl;dr - it causes less hospitalisations and vaccines work.

51777007-10308473-image-m-18_1639492278498.jpg

51777041-10308473-As_a_crude_rate_Omicron_is_currently_causing_a_third_fewer_hospi-a-5_1639502470793.jpg

51777057-10308473-image-m-19_1639492289300.jpg

sinnergy

It’s so fucking hilarious to me (actually saddening) that people still think you can pretend it’s normal or going back to normal .. which is not the case .. 2 years ago our world changed its time to let go and move on.. let the technology help you live your life and obey the rules so we can have as much freedom this virus gives us ..the coming decade .

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I demand data!

Wait no not that data!
I asked for data that shows mandates make a significant difference in COVID spread. I didn't ask for data that shows mandates increase vaccination rates. And each country is going to respond to mandates differently. You're being disingenuous and you know it. Just stop.
I was referring to you mentioning him ‘being a doctor’ - so what?
I said all I know was he is a real doctor. You somehow drew the conclusion that it was some kind of defense for him.

It’s so fucking hilarious to me (actually saddening) that people still think you can pretend it’s normal or going back to normal .. which is not the case .. 2 years ago our world changed its time to let go and move on.. let the technology help you live your life and obey the rules so we can have as much freedom this virus gives us ..the coming decade .
Get help.

NT80

No. Omicron was an incidental finding after admission.
But if it's not known why they were in hospital in the first place how would you know it wasn't Covid symptoms? Were they tested prior to admittance and found to be clear?

I hope this is a much milder version and if it becomes the dominant variant it could bring an end to this. There's also the supposedly highly effective antiviral treatments on the way too. I wonder how useful they might be for other viruses.

I asked for data that shows mandates make a significant difference in COVID spread. I didn't ask for data that shows mandates increase vaccination rates. And each country is going to respond to mandates differently. You're being disingenuous and you know it. Just stop.

did you?

Has there been any data yet on the effectiveness on vaccine mandates?

is that what you mean by difference in spread? Because you might be barking up the wrong tree when the one thing vaccine mandates are there for is to increase vaccination rates

also, why do you think in this specific instance the USA should be any different from France, Denmark, Israel and Germany and please evidence the disparity

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Decade? Where you get that from?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
did you?

is that what you mean by difference in spread? Because you might be barking up the wrong tree when the one thing vaccine mandates are there for is to increase vaccination rates

also, why do you think in this specific instance the USA should be any different from France, Denmark, Israel and Germany and please evidence the disparity
Yes.

But I think right now the data we do have does say a lot.

Since November 21, COVID cases are up 22% in the US, as mandates are increasing. The mandates aren't working. The increases in COVID cases are evidence of this.

If more data comes out to suggest otherwise, I'll reassess, but as of right now, the data indicates that the mandates have not had the intended effect.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Vaccinations help slow the spread of Covid. Mandates help increase the number of vaccinated people. Therefore yes the mandates help.

1+1=2. Shocking!

Termite

Had my Pfizer booster yesterday as I'm going to be travelling through a bunch of airports over Christmas (London Heathrow, Miami, Copenhagen, Dublin, Santo Domingo). Not fucking with all of that without some extra protection, especially as I'll be seeing a lot of relatives in the 65+ age range.

Shot 1 - Sore arm
Shot 2 - 24 hours of violent flu and shaking
Booster - Mild fever and headache when waking up this morning. Took an extra 2 hours in bed.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Vaccinations help slow the spread of Covid. Mandates help increase the number of vaccinated people. Therefore yes the mandates help.

1+1=2. Shocking!
And cases in the US are increasing(by a lot) as mandates increase. So it has not worked that way. Mandates have not helped at all.

They aren't doing anything.

No one can provide any data that has shown cases have dropped with mandates. I gave data that shows the opposite.

And cases in the US are increasing(by a lot) as mandates increase. So it has not worked that way. Mandates have not helped at all.

No one can provide any data that has shown cases have dropped with mandates. I gave data that shows the opposite.
They actually decreased slightly and have plateaued/stalled this past week and a half or so.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Okay well luckily for the country you aren't in charge.

Top Bottom