• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
There's a reason you never spoke of those diseases again - The vaccination campaign for those diseases has already been going on for decades. Those diseases are not a practical threat to most of us anymore because of our long history of vaccines, and the current mandates that make sure all new humans get vaccinated too.
I think because most vaccines are given when you are young, people just don't realize what vaccines require multiple boosters, and as we have had massive generational vaccine programs they also don't realize how well a lot of these vaccines protect an individual verus a population.
So they perceive vaccines as one shot and done with 99% lifelong individual protection when this is far from the case.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
UK reports a record 88K infections in a day, ostensibly mostly Omicron.

Also, fresh data on hospitalisations with Omicron:

UK Health Security Agency chief medical advisor, Dr Susan Hopkins, revealed that the total number of Omicron hospitalisations had now risen to 15 in her update to MPs of the Health and Social Care Committee.

Fifteen.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

UK Health Security Agency chief medical advisor, Dr Susan Hopkins, revealed that the total number of Omicron hospitalisations had now risen to 15 in her update to MPs of the Health and Social Care Committee.

Fifteen.
Hopefully this holds and omicron is a nothing burger.

sinnergy

Fifteen.
Doesn’t matter , in a couple of weeks it will be a shitshow. Sadly that’s how it will go, and after this the next mutation appears , a hybrid deltacron..

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Fifteen.

It takes approx two weeks for infections to filter through into hospitalisations, so we’ve got another week at least before we know if omicron does lead to many more hospitalisations. Your celebrations are a little premature.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Doesn’t matter , in a couple of weeks it will be a shitshow. Sadly that’s how it will go, and after this the next mutation appears , a hybrid deltacron..

It takes approx two weeks for infections to filter through into hospitalisations, so we’ve got another week at least before we know if omicron does lead to many more hospitalisations. Your celebrations are a little premature.

one thing to consider is that Omicron multiplies way faster in your body. Way, way, way faster. So shit should meet fan very soon if there is going to be a shitshow, the UK infection numbers and R are something unseen

I think because most vaccines are given when you are young, people just don't realize what vaccines require multiple boosters, and as we have had massive generational vaccine programs they also don't realize how well a lot of these vaccines protect an individual verus a population.
So they perceive vaccines as one shot and done with 99% lifelong individual protection when this is far from the case.

Just to clarify (in case this response had anything to do with my earlier comments, which I assume), I know those ones had boosters, I think it was 10 years later you could get them. I don’t remember if I did get them, that would mean trying to remember something from a few decades ago lol, but, I think I did get them, but, it was not because it was spoken about, it was just the doctor noticing it was time from a file. Just saying, they just weren’t diseases that I recall hearing anything about to the extent of the current covid strain.

FireFly

Just repeating what the doctors are saying here, they said Delta is worse and omicron would be nothing more than a common cold. This is from them already doing studies on samples they’ve gotten. The media does tend to exhibit fear in their reporting. I’d just really prefer to hear the hospital numbers, as opposed to how many cases there are, it puts a different perspective on everything.
Which doctors?

tommolb

The only confirmed death from omicron in the UK so far, after a week of rapidly rising infections, is an 85 year old anti-vaxxer. This should be taken as a good sign… if a very early one.
It takes, on average 3-4 days from catching Covid to show symptoms, about 2 weeks to be ill enough to end up in hospital and then maybe a month or more (given the treatments available) to sadly die. Long and short of it is that it's too early to see "a good sign" yet. By mid-January we should have a clear view on how bad this variant is.

The large numbers of vaccinated individuals will also make this variant not appear as bad as original and Alpha variants when it comes to deaths.

Chittagong

Gold Member
There have been so many Omicron cases in UK that we are starting to get firm symptom data, which is super interesting.

Wn4R2a6.jpg

Loki

Count of Concision

On top of that, though, don't we first need to have a good baseline of what percentage of cases throughout the population are Omicron? Then, from that, we can estimate what percentage of those who present to a hospital are carrying Omicron as opposed to Delta? Unless we are sequencing every COVID case in hospitals, which I'm almost certain isn't being done. On top of that, while percentages can be estimated in the manner noted above, to examine Omicron's unique symptomology we'd need to ensure that ONLY sequenced Omicron cases were being analyzed.

I say all that because there is a lot of either ambiguity of circumstance or lack of precision with the language being employed in the media. For instance, cases and hospitalizations have supposedly risen fairly sharply this past week in NY. Headlines read "Omicron is now here in full force," and our mayor and governor parrot that sentiment. However, can't it be (in fact, given data from other countries where Omicron is more prevalent, isn't it more likely to be) the case that the uptick is largely driven by COVID's (read: Delta's) seasonality as opposed to penetration by Omicron and attendant hospitalization. This is because Omicron does not, to my knowledge, constitute more than 5-10% of cases in NY (if that much), and also apparently does not result in as severe disease as Delta based on data from elsewhere.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
You left out the important bit

There isn't an important or unimportant bit, unless you have some kind of agenda. It spreads 70 times more quickly through respiratory tissue, which some scientists fear may mean more rapid spread to other organs in the unvaccinated, and is a hint on why it is so much more transmissible.

True, but boy do I hope it's nothing. I am so over this shit.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I hope this doesn’t fall in to the forbidden talk, if so, apologies.
First of all, let's go over what was already covered. You said you don't disagree with my thoughts, so does that mean I changed your mind on those topics? Does that mean that you understand the differences between the vaccines we got as a kid and the new ones now? Do you agree that all vaccines and boosters actually do help to prevent disease? Do you agree that while a 1% death rate might not sound so bad, it actually is really bad in reality?

I am confused on the mask mandate as we have had it for two years and the numbers are going up.
Just because the numbers still go up doesn't mean it doesn't work. A mask mandate is only as good as the ability for the populace to follow instructions. There is lots of data that shows masks do work to help prevent transmission of disease. This is why masks have been used in the medical field since forever. Just because something doesn't work 100% doesn't mean it doesn't work at all. Without masks, the numbers would probably be going even higher. Masks are just one part of a multi-pronged approach to disease mitigation.

In terms of mandates, that's a little different than the masks itself. Japan has no mandate at all, but mask use is near universal because they understand that it works and they have a social responsibility to keep each other safe. Other countries might have a mandate but still have less mask adoption than Japan since those other countries might have less compliant or less responsible citizenry.

I am confused on the idea that the airports don’t temporarily shut down to prevent it from travelling overseas and it’s just being encouraged to not go anywhere…which didn’t work the first time, not sure why they think people will listen this time.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Please rephrase.

Government and even the top doctors doing the very things they tell us not to do.
Examples?

First of all, let's go over what was already covered. You said you don't disagree with my thoughts, so does that mean I changed your mind on those topics? Does that mean that you understand the differences between the vaccines we got as a kid and the new ones now? Do you agree that all vaccines and boosters actually do help to prevent disease? Do you agree that while a 1% death rate might not sound so bad, it actually is really bad in reality?

Just because the numbers still go up doesn't mean it doesn't work. A mask mandate is only as good as the ability for the populace to follow instructions. There is lots of data that shows masks do work to help prevent transmission of disease. This is why masks have been used in the medical field since forever. Just because something doesn't work 100% doesn't mean it doesn't work at all. Without masks, the numbers would probably be going even higher. Masks are just one part of a multi-pronged approach to disease mitigation.

In terms of mandates, that's a little different than the masks itself. Japan has no mandate at all, but mask use is near universal because they understand that it works and they have a social responsibility to keep each other safe. Other countries might have a mandate but still have less mask adoption than Japan since those other countries might have less compliant or less responsible citizenry.

Examples?

Examples?

Hey, sorry, I wasn't being completely clear due to having to move my booty to reply and get back to work, so, I apologize for that.

1. I don't disagree with all of your points, is what I should have clarified. Your first 2 paragraphs, I can understand that point of view and it makes sense to me explained with that info as I didn't think of those other points that you made, so, that cleared my mind on that part. When it comes to the 1% part of it, sure, it can take on a whole new meaning when you start to shrink the total number. I am just going by the bigger number, which obviously doesn't make it seem as bad. Not saying it isn't awful in any way, it's horrible that people are dying from it, but, a part of me also believes that not all the deaths being recorded as covid deaths are actually covid deaths.

2. With the mask mandate, aren't the N95s supposed to be the proper ones? Kind of a side note of a question, just inquiring. Anyway, from my experience going out in public, I never see people not wearing a mask. It's a bylaw and there are fines of various amounts, depending on where you are. I am originally from the United States, but, live in Canada. I was in my hometown in the US over the weekend and saw people freely not wearing masks. Not a whole bunch, about a handful. Where I am in Canada, that just isn't something I see at all. The thought then actually came to me afterwards that, as a sports fan, I obviously watch games and people are shoulder to shoulder at games not wearing masks at all. That probably explains the surge. When sports had no crowds (US got crowds before Canada), the numbers were so much lower. I guess I may have responded to my own thoughts on this subject lol

3. Near the beginning of covid, the Canadian government was 'urging' people not to travel to other parts of the world. They repeated themselves day in and day out. They didn't shut down any airports or anything, so, people just didn't care and continued to travel. We are now here again with the government 'urging' people not to travel, which didn't work the first time around when they did it, so, not too sure why they think people will just say 'okay' and not travel. People want to travel, they're gonna do it, no matter what the government says. If they really felt as strongly about travel as they appear to in front of the cameras, I think they would do a little more than 'pretty please don't travel'. This is non-essential travel.

4. A few doctors got caught going on vacations while everyone was told that we couldn't do such things. I think I said this in another post, my memory is bad, so, sorry if I repeating myself, but, the government at the time of the incident I am about to share had restrictions in place where we were not allowed to have a gathering of more than 5 people and we must keep our 6 feet distance. A family was run over (purposely) by a man and a vigil was held where both our Prime Minister and our premier attended, standing by side with thousands of people. The same people who are on tv every single day at the time telling us what we can and can't do are doing those very things. Those are some examples.

This is a great conversation and just wanted to say cheers for the maturity. I have seen a lot of these conversations go south, it's good to see people being able to engage without being twats.

I am not sure why it quoted you twice, I only hit the reply button one time, not gonna try to remove it, though, cuz it would probably mess it all up lol.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Seems realistic now that Omicron will quickly end the severity of the pandemic and normality will return sooner than anticipated.
Here in the US at least normality has already returned for the most part if you are vaccinated.

Thank god.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I am more referring to the fact that Delta cases have been consistently high in the UK for months and were increasing even before Omicron, where as Delta burnt out very quickly in SA. So it could be that there are more potential carriers in the UK. Also the healthcare system will have to cope with Delta + Omicron in the short term, and an older population means a potentially higher hospitalisation rate.

Isn't it simply more likely a matter of timing in regards to waves of infection? All the evidence seems to point to declining immunity to symptomatic infection irrespective of the protection coming from vaccination or prior exposure, however resistance to severe disease seems much more durable.

So essentially the lowered risk of hospitalization is preserved even when the number of positive tests remains high, with in fact the higher numbers of infections from any source being paradoxically a good thing because the herd immunity is kept fresh.
There have been so many Omicron cases in UK that we are starting to get firm symptom data, which is super interesting.

Wn4R2a6.jpg

This was what the SA authorities were saying a 2 weeks ago, and last week they stressed that they weren't seeing any cases of cytokine storms within the expected window following initial symptoms. This is a a far more impactful difference potentially.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I just got canceled from my family Christmas dinner by my aunt because I'm not vaccinated.
Everyone will do a test that day and I agreed to do one as well of course, but no she is "not comfortable with the idea that I am not vaccinated".
My mother, my sister and my grandmother (who accept my choice) wanted to call her to try to make her listen to reason but I told them to give up, as it will only create problems and more debates.

I tried to explain that I am still contagious even with the vaccine, that I respect his choice as long as she respect mine. It is only there to avoid serious effects and because I am 31 years old, athletic, healthy and pay close attention to barrier gestures I don't feel the need to do so.
It is my responsibility and my right, the day a real vaccine is created, something that can stop the spread (we can dream) I am the first to be vaccinated, by then, I'll live without it.

This is the word we are creating.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Heard someone on a podcast today who had a very bad reaction to the vaccine, it gave them significant heart issues. Even as pro vaccine as I am, hearing his story really gutted me. It's been really difficult for him to get any quality help because of the politics around the vaccine. I think there needs to be some type of a plan on how to help people who have gotten the vaccine and had bad reactions, if they're going to be mandated. We owe it to the public. As rare as it is, it happens on occasion and we can't abandon them. I know how it feels to feel like you have a medical issue that no one can really help with and you feel helpless. I felt really bad for this person.

Hopefully more studies can be done on how to effectively treat people who get bad reactions.

FireFly

Isn't it simply more likely a matter of timing in regards to waves of infection? All the evidence seems to point to declining immunity to symptomatic infection irrespective of the protection coming from vaccination or prior exposure, however resistance to severe disease seems much more durable.

So essentially the lowered risk of hospitalization is preserved even when the number of positive tests remains high, with in fact the higher numbers of infections from any source being paradoxically a good thing because the herd immunity is kept fresh.
What matters is the absolute number of hospitalisations per day, since there are only finite numbers of beds and personnel, that are already being stretched by Delta + the existing backlog. In that regard, for any given hospitalisation rate, more infections = more people in hospital. And if the UK has more limited immunity as you suggest, due to the protection being spread over a longer time period, then that could lead to a significantly bigger peak in case numbers, and therefore significantly more strain on the health system. Modellers are already talking about reaching upwards of a million new cases every day.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member

Prof Spector told Sky News: "Broadly what we're seeing now is the majority of people testing PCR positive actually have cold-like symptoms and they do not have the classical triad of ill COVID symptoms of fever, loss of smell and taste and persistent cough.

He said his team had only examined about 1,000 Omicron cases so far, but that it appeared to produce a "fairly mild" illness.

Prof Spector said they were seeing "fairly mild illness and nearly everyone has got better after about five days".

However, he cautioned that "many of the people who are getting infections in London right now are on the younger side and we haven't got a lot of sick people who may be the ones who end up going to hospital".

The epidemiologist also warned that NHS Test and Trace efforts may not be effective with Omicron.

sinnergy

Dude the scientists are almost as clueless as us folk .. that’s what these 2 years have showed me .. I wish they wouldn’t talk everytime the press shows them a mic or camera .. (silence is golden) one of our top scientists, he runs the Dutch CDC, told in a interview they where to optimistic the past 2 years with their outcomes and measures.. he is a scientist.. and should look at it more like a worst case scenario..

prepare for the worst and hope for the best ..
But clearly they also are grasping for straws .

when I told this forum it would take years , I was laughed at 🤡 its now 2, up to at least another 2 , but closer to another 7.

Last edited:

Ellery

Dude the scientists are almost as clueless as us folk .. that’s what these 2 years have showed me .. I wish they wouldn’t talk everytime the press shows them a mic or camera .. (silence is golden) one of our top scientists, he runs the Dutch CDC, told in a interview they where to optimistic the past 2 years with their outcomes and measures.. he is a scientist.. and should look at it more like a worst case scenario..

when I told this forum it would take years , I was laughed at 🤡 its now 2, up to at least another 2 , but closer to another 7.

They are legitimately doing their best. They have been working in this field for decades and are presented with a hyperpolarized political situation with thousands of variables and things to consider.

Scientists don't have the luxury of hindsight and stubbornly sticking to a random opinion they picked up on facebook. They actually need to adapt and change their minds when faced with new data, facts and evidence.

sinnergy

They are legitimately doing their best. They have been working in this field for decades and are presented with a hyperpolarized political situation with thousands of variables and things to consider.

Scientists don't have the luxury of hindsight and stubbornly sticking to a random opinion they picked up on facebook. They actually need to adapt and change their minds when faced with new data, facts and evidence.
All nice and dandy, but they are the once with influences , they need to couple facts and what’s happening around them, made bad decisions, and don’t seem to have any instinct to react probably , and seem to have lost a connection to the world and what’s happening outside their Bubble, not earthed so to speak or level headed is another one .. data will only bring you this far, and how the fuck could you interpret all the data as , oo well let’s run with the optimistic version 🤣

same with politicians, a real let down for me, as Dutch.
but anyway , they are as clueless as us.
I’ll guide on my own instincts, did that the past 2 years , didn’t caught it , work from home , even if my colleagues go to work (not helping the greater cause) follow the rules , social distance .

let them look at numbers all day 🤣

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I just got canceled from my family Christmas dinner by my aunt because I'm not vaccinated.
Everyone will do a test that day and I agreed to do one as well of course, but no she is "not comfortable with the idea that I am not vaccinated".
My mother, my sister and my grandmother (who accept my choice) wanted to call her to try to make her listen to reason but I told them to give up, as it will only create problems and more debates.

I tried to explain that I am still contagious even with the vaccine, that I respect his choice as long as she respect mine. It is only there to avoid serious effects and because I am 31 years old, athletic, healthy and pay close attention to barrier gestures I don't feel the need to do so.
It is my responsibility and my right, the day a real vaccine is created, something that can stop the spread (we can dream) I am the first to be vaccinated, by then, I'll live without it.

You're creating this world by being a selfish fool, who won’t go and spend thirty seconds of their life getting a safe and effective vaccine. Grow up, man up, and do something that helps other people, and not just think of yourself.

Also, stop being lazy, and get off social media. Look for the facts, not the facts you want to believe.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

The world we are creating is one in which people listen to Facebook posts from disinformation media and Youtube videos from fringe nutjobs instead of doing the right thing for themselves, their family, and society. The real vaccines already exist. You're not a victim. Go get vaccinated.

sinnergy

Nice to see Australia having the balls to break down the figures when it comes to unvaccinated in hospital:

Every country does this .. but there are also vaccinated people in the hospitals , those numbers here where between 10 - 20 percent , still pretty high imo .. weird huh. And that’s with measures .. just imagine .

Last edited:

95mellow

Every country does this .. but there are also vaccinated people in the hospitals , those numbers here where between 10 - 20 percent , still pretty high imo .. weird huh. And that’s with measures .. just imagine .
The major reason we have lockdown measures is to prevent hospitals from failing.

The majority of people taking up ICU beds are unvaccinated.

It's not hard.

Ellery

That is why people who understand how to interpret data get paid a lot and those who don't post nonsense.

So lets say you have a country that has a 99% vaccination rate and they have 100 covid hospitalization cases. 80 of those cases are from double vaccinated people and 20 are unvaccinated.
An idiot would say that the vaccine doesn't work, because 80% of those in hospitals are double vaccinated.
A smart person would say that vaccines do work, because a tiny 1% of unvaccinated people amount to a gigantic percentage of hospital cases compared to the total population.

And that is exactly why we need scientists and not social media outcry from people that are trapped in their bubbles created by algorithms spouting misinformation, because they don't know how to read data.

thefool

Its going to be over exactly like the most reputed virologists have warned for months (years now). A mildly new variant takes over, infects everyone and you finally get the effective booster.
Still discriminating negatively against infected individuals is asinine, as you're trying to stop the wind with your bare hands.
The only thing standing against the end of the pandemic is the lunacy of mass testing.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Find for me breakdowns by unvaccinated or vaccinated for other nations.

And you need to learn how to do maths.

Even If 50/50 unvaccinated/vaccinated in hospital, but 90% of nation is vaccinated, it means unvaccinated amounts in hospital are massively and disproportionately larger than vaccinated.

Last edited:

sinnergy

The major reason we have lockdown measures is to prevent hospitals from failing.

The majority of people taking up ICU beds are unvaccinated.

It's not hard.
It isn’t, but on a full population, a 10% to 20 % number is still a significant amount to handle in the hospitals.. with out a reform of how care systems handle COVID patients. The vaccines don’t seem to be that effective.m
And after about 3 months after vaccination your a basically again unvaccinated. So rinse repeat boosters ..

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned

Ex wife's sister did something similar, she said she would only invite vaccinated people over for new year's eve but the thing she didn't think through is that the whole family will do it somewhere else now, rip.

We don't need that type of people in our lives, this shit gave us a whole new perception on people surounding us such as snitches, paranoids and unrespectful assholes

At least there's some positive

betrayal

Banned
It’s quite mild said most posters here 🤣 disconnected from reality but not the internet .

always the same pattern people, not that hard , so many people that need hospitalization that the system overloads with deaths as outcome .

after 2 years , people should know.

Seriously? For almost 2 years now, you still haven't understood that mere numbers without context tell you nothing?

It's your own business if you've been shitting your pants about everything since the pandemic began. But it's not your business to look at everything without context and continue to propagate it, even though you really don't understand anything about it, whether you do it consciously or whether you're just intellectually incapable of it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It isn’t, but on a full population, a 10% to 20 % number is still a significant amount to handle in the hospitals.. with out a reform of how care systems handle COVID patients. The vaccines don’t seem to be that effective.m

Seriously… learn maths. You’re just making yourself sound like an idiot, mate.

FunkMiller

Ex wife's sister did something similar, she said she would only invite vaccinated people over for new year's eve but the thing she didn't think through is that the whole family will do it somewhere else now, rip.

We don't need that type of people in our lives, this shit gave us a whole new perception on people surounding us such as snitches, paranoids and unrespectful assholes

At least there's some positive

Puppy Playing GIF

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Love it when people lie about getting vaccinated for others

Such heroic sacrifices, I salute you

The majority of people who got it just to get the pass and be able to go to restaurants, theaters etc.. should get a medal

What a sad, bitter little world you live in.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
What a sad, bitter little world you live in.
Reality is indeed sad and bitter.

Especially when these people tell you others are selfish for not getting vaccinated, in your face, while you've worked 18 months in the province's worst COVID spot, while they were eating chips at home

Such courageous people

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight

All you ever post is doom fluff … just pessimism without facts

“Grasping for straws” really?
show me how

Top Bottom