• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The deaths are across the total population, and only 3.8% of those given a placebo contracted COVID. With an IFR of 0.5%, you would expect only 4 extra deaths in the placebo group, which could be swallowed up by variations in overall death rates across the two populations.

I get that this disease has an extremely low infection fatality rate, so little to no death is to be expected, but it still seems crazy to me that the trial that led to Emergency Use Authorization demonstrates absolutely no benefit to mortality.

What the ever-living fuck is happening? This is science denying. Science denying to continue to assert control. Comply peasant.
Yeah. It least there are actual voices speaking up this time. Hopefully they have enough courage to not be cowards. This is a bridge too far. There has to be an end to this nonsense, and since no one is willing to provide one, we will have to decide when it’s over ourselves.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. It least there are actual voices speaking up this time. Hopefully they have enough courage to not be cowards. This is a bridge too far. There has to be an end to this nonsense, and since no one is willing to provide one, we will have to decide when it’s over ourselves.

It has been somewhat heartening to see some of the "follow the science" crowd that would traditionally never criticize the current administration actually calling this shit out this time. Of course, in the next breath they are advocating for increased restrictions of the unvaccinated, so it's a double-edged sword.

Raven117

Yeah. It is encouraging. At least it heartens me to know that if this is what these types are saying publically...it means they are much harsher on this in private. What is funny though that CNN yesterday ran a story about how muddled this all was...but just today it switched to "the war has changed." Guess, the DNC had to put the clamps down on actual journalism.
It has been somewhat heartening to see some of the "follow the science" crowd that would traditionally never criticize the current administration actually calling this shit out this time. Of course, in the next breath they are advocating for increased restrictions of the unvaccinated, so it's a double-edged sword.
Yeah, it is...but at the very least it does follow science. (Im against mandatory vaccines...but for government support and outreach to try and demonstrate the benefits of the vaccine...but in the end...the choice is for every individual to make).

What is happening now is insanity, panic...(or just a bare grasp for power)...none of the above should be tolerated.

(And look at freakin Australia! What are those clowns doing?)

Last edited:
I can at least understand the argument when people make the case for restrictions for unvaccinated people. I disagree adamantly with them, but I can see their rationale. The stuff that is coming out from the CDC has no basis. And when people ask for it, they’re met with “soon”. No. Not soon. Now. You don’t get to roll out the restrictions before you give us the justification. That’s backwards.

At this point it doesn’t matter because I don’t trust them to be honest anyway. It’s not like they can come out tomorrow and say “never mind, we actually don’t have any data”, so I’m sure they’ll throw something together. But the fact they were ready to knee jerk out these recommendations while backing them up with nothing tells you where we’re at right now. They feel we owe them compliance while they owe us nothing.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Goddamn. Me and Nate Silver agree about something. It really is the apocalypse.
He has consistently been the most useful Twitter follow during the entire pandemic. When people were having meltdowns in the summer of 2020 about how uniquely terrible the US was handling it, he just calmly posted data showing that US numbers were about average per capita with Western European countries. I pointed that out on a normie sports forum I'm on with mostly credentialed professionals who tend to be more liberal (which pre-COVID was Silver's natural constituency) and was shouted down and told that Nate Silver wasn't a doctor and knew nothing about epidemics. The mods had to just end all COVID/politics talk on that forum because people were getting really mad.

He has consistently been the most useful Twitter follow during the entire pandemic. When people were having meltdowns in the summer of 2020 about how uniquely terrible the US was handling it, he just calmly posted data showing that US numbers were about average per capita with Western European countries. I pointed that out on a normie sports forum I'm on with mostly credentialed professionals who tend to be more liberal (which pre-COVID was Silver's natural constituency) and was shouted down and told that Nate Silver wasn't a doctor and knew nothing about epidemics. The mods had to just end all COVID/politics talk on that forum because people were getting really mad.

Thanks. I’ll check him out a little more. It’s a good lesson for me not to write people off. Sometimes my impression of people can be off.

Last edited:

Raven117

I can at least understand the argument when people make the case for restrictions for unvaccinated people. I disagree adamantly with them, but I can see their rationale. The stuff that is coming out from the CDC has no basis. And when people ask for it, they’re met with “soon”. No. Not soon. Now. You don’t get to roll out the restrictions before you give us the justification. That’s backwards.

At this point it doesn’t matter because I don’t trust them to be honest anyway. It’s not like they can come out tomorrow and say “never mind, we actually don’t have any data”, so I’m sure they’ll throw something together. But the fact they were ready to knee jerk out these recommendations while backing them up with nothing tells you where we’re at right now. They feel we owe them compliance while they owe us nothing.
Its arrogance...Its them believing that we should follow what they say because they are the CDC and we are too stupid to follow what they are saying.

Talk about a fall from grace. A once highly regarding institution in the world is now pretty much a joke.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So in florida the hospitals are starting to flood with UNVACCINATED covid patients. They have found however that DELTA VARIANT can still live in the nose of vaccinated people even if it is quickly stopped when it tries to go into your lungs, but only for a very short time.

The problem is still with younger kids. I have a vacation planned in three weeks in FL. But my kids are not vaccinated because they are so young. Even with the risks being low for them its still beyond stupid that I have weigh the risks because idiots will not get vaccinated. .... . do not be an idiot get vaccinated.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Why in the fuck is anyone labouring under the illusion that the vaccines prevent disease completely? Seriously, where has this come from? Is it an American thing? Because we've not been sold that here in the UK at all. It's pretty clear that vaccines can either prevent symptomatic infection or lessen symptoms - they are not a cure. They also lessen transmission. They do not prevent it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why in the fuck is anyone labouring under the illusion that the vaccines prevent disease completely? Seriously, where has this come from? Is it an American thing? Because we've not been sold that here in the UK at all. It's pretty clear that vaccines can either prevent symptomatic infection or lessen symptoms - they are not a cure.

Because they sold these things are 95% effective against infection. The whole marketing campaign was about how they were magnificently effective and basically made you immune to COVID. Get the shot, end the pandemic, etc. etc.

They are magnificently effective at reducing the higher hospitalization and death rates of elderly people. The authorities should have been more honest with people and not overpromised.

Guileless

So in florida the hospitals are starting to flood with UNVACCINATED covid patients. They have found however that DELTA VARIANT can still live in the nose of vaccinated people even if it is quickly stopped when it tries to go into your lungs, but only for a very short time.

The problem is still with younger kids. I have a vacation planned in three weeks in FL. But my kids are not vaccinated because they are so young. Even with the risks being low for them its still beyond stupid that I have weigh the risks because idiots will not get vaccinated. .... . do not be an idiot get vaccinated.
Your kids are in more danger of injury from travel to and from FL than rona.

FunkMiller

Because they sold these things are 95% effective against infection. The whole marketing campaign was about how they were magnificently effective and basically made you immune to COVID. Get the shot, end the pandemic, etc. etc.

They are magnificently effective at reducing the higher hospitalization and death rates of elderly people. The authorities should have been more honest with people and not overpromised.

Yeah, but they are though. They are very effective - but do not prevent disease completely, because they aren't a cure. You stick a million people with the vaccine and expose them to covid, you're still going to get 50,000 covid cases.

The point being, with everyone vaccinated, you don't need to keep restrictions going, because they vaccines do the job the restrictions were doing previously.

Look at the UK. We're now 71% fully vaccinated, with the R rate falling, and the case rate plateauing - even with the most virulent strain we have in delta. Once we're at 90% vaccinated, covid is over here.

The problem is getting vaccination rates up to that level, which isn't happening a lot outside the UK, because of anti vax messaging and poor distribution.

Only half of America is fully vaccinated; hence continuing restrictions.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Your kids are in more danger of injury from travel to and from FL than rona.
They can still catch it very easily and be quite sick along with that they are young enough to not really know if they have any ..as of yet.. unnoticed underlying issue that could be very bad.
And why should we have to worry so much when it is the idiots not getting vaccinated thats 99% of the issue in florida right now?

RoboFu

One of the green rats

They are 95% against infection ..that doesnt mean you cannot still carry it for a short time. Tose are two different things.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but they are though. They are very effective - but do not prevent disease completely, because they aren't a cure. You stick a million people with the vaccine and expose them to covid, you're still going to get 50,000 covid cases.

The point being, with everyone vaccinated, you don't need to keep restrictions going, because they vaccines do the job the restrictions were doing previously.

Look at the UK. We're now 71% fully vaccinated, with the R rate falling, and the case rate plateauing - even with the most virulent strain we have in delta. Once we're at 90% vaccinated, covid is over here.

The problem is getting vaccination rates up to that level, which isn't happening a lot outside the UK, because of anti vax messaging and poor distribution.

Only half of America is fully vaccinated; hence continuing restrictions.

Considering the UK is currently at 85,409 cases per 1,000,000 population, 50,000 vaccinated per 1,000,000 getting COVID doesn't make it seem very effective at preventing infection... Although you could still claim a 42% risk reduction against infection, which seems to be about where Israel is right now.

Also, the UK is 55.6% fully vaccinated as of today, actually. Unless you are excluding the under 18 crowd that isn't eligible for vaccination in the UK. But yeah, the Delta wave certainly seems to be petering out, which is news for celebration.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They are 95% against infection ..that doesnt mean you cannot still carry it for a short time. Tose are two different things.

There is zero real world data to indicate that this is the case. Even the latest Pfizer clinical trial study update shows just an 83% relative risk reduction among the vaccinated that remained in the study through March (before the Delta took over in the USA).

However, you also have to keep this in mind:

So, if efficacy means some percent fewer cases of COVID-19, what counts as a "case of COVID"? Both Pfizer and Moderna defined a case as having at least one symptom (however mild) and a positive COVID-19 test. Johnson & Johnson defined a "case" as having a positive COVID-19 test plus at least one moderate symptom (such as shortness of breath, abnormal blood oxygen levels or abnormal respiratory rate) or at least two milder symptoms (such as fever, cough, fatigue, headache, or nausea). Someone with a moderate case of COVID-19 by this definition could either be mildly affected or be incapacitated and feel pretty sick for a few weeks.

I still need to find out from a primary Pfizer source exactly what symptoms they considered valid, because it seems like people who are vaccinated tend to present different symptoms compared to the unvaccinated (more runny nose and headache vs. fever and cough) and this would not have been known at the time of the trial.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
That is how a normal vaccine works but the COVID ones are completely different. The mRNA is injected, it is moved into your own cells and your cells create the spike protein according to the coding in the mRNA. The spike protein will then stick out from your cells and your immune system will detect it and attack it. I am almost certain that this kills your own cells as well because they will look like foreign objects to your immune system.

As for safety, I haven't been able to find details of how long your cells produce the spike protein, is the spike protein on its own harmless, if it is all localised around the injection site or if the mRNA or spike protein gets moved around your body (like to the heart, brain, ovaries etc.). The human body is insanely complicated and there is so much that we don't know so a treatment that utilizes new tech/methods really shouldn't be rushed. Personally, I would have preferred them to do more research and longer clinical trials before releasing the vaccine.
The virus itself is completely 'untested' and injects RNA into your cells that produces the spike protein and a whole lot more, and is also able to replicate uncontrollably. The vaccine was rushed because we were in the middle of a pandemic, with millions of people getting infected not a few hundred or a few thousand so the extra risk associated with expediting the vaccine is vastly smaller when compared to the risk associated with getting an infection.

badblue

It was just announced here in Alberta, as of August 16th people that test positive for covid will not have to isolate.

Starting Thursday, close contacts will no longer be notified of exposure by contact tracers nor will they be legally required to isolate — although it still recommended.

The province will also end asymptomatic testing.

Further measures will be eliminated Aug. 16. People who test positive for the virus will not be mandated to isolate at that time but it is still strongly recommended.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
There is zero real world data to indicate that this is the case. Even the latest Pfizer clinical trial study update shows just an 83% relative risk reduction among the vaccinated that remained in the study through March (before the Delta took over in the USA).

However, you also have to keep this in mind:

I still need to find out from a primary Pfizer source exactly what symptoms they considered valid, because it seems like people who are vaccinated tend to present different symptoms compared to the unvaccinated (more runny nose and headache vs. fever and cough) and this would not have been known at the time of the trial.

You really need to stop.

"
In her email, Dr. Walensky said breakthroughs are rare, and unvaccinated people account for the bulk of virus transmission. Still, she said, the new data suggest even fully immunized people can be unwilling vectors for the disease.

Previous versions of the virus rarely broke through the immunization barrier, which prompted the C.D.C. to advise in May that vaccinated people could go mask-free indoors. But the usual rules don’t seem to apply to the Delta variant. The variant is twice as contagious as the original virus.

The Delta variant seems to flourish in the nose, the main port of entry for the virus. The vaccines are injected into muscle, and the antibodies produced in response mostly remain in the blood. Some antibodies may make their way to the nose but not enough to block it.

“The vaccines — they’re beautiful, they work, they’re amazing,” said Frances Lund, a viral immunologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. “But they’re not going to give you that local immunity.”

When the virus tries to snake down into the lungs, immune cells in vaccinated people ramp up and rapidly clear the infection before it wreaks much havoc. That means vaccinated people should be infected and contagious for a much shorter period of time than unvaccinated people, Dr. Lund said.

“But that doesn’t mean that in those first couple of days, when they’re infected, they can’t transmit it to somebody else,” she added.
"

sinnergy

It’s now as contagious as chickenpox… even vaccinated people have the same virus load ..now for the final fatality.. resistance to vaccines

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Also, the UK is 55.6% fully vaccinated as of today, actually. Unless you are excluding the under 18 crowd that isn't eligible for vaccination in the UK. But yeah, the Delta wave certainly seems to be petering out, which is news for celebration.

I tend to dismiss children, as we’ve been told time and time again they are far less likely to get and transmit the disease.

The main thing is the delta wave is being suppressed (albeit slowly as we’re still vaccinating) here in the U.K. with zero lockdown whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You really need to stop.

"
In her email, Dr. Walensky said breakthroughs are rare, and unvaccinated people account for the bulk of virus transmission. Still, she said, the new data suggest even fully immunized people can be unwilling vectors for the disease.

Previous versions of the virus rarely broke through the immunization barrier, which prompted the C.D.C. to advise in May that vaccinated people could go mask-free indoors. But the usual rules don’t seem to apply to the Delta variant. The variant is twice as contagious as the original virus.

The Delta variant seems to flourish in the nose, the main port of entry for the virus. The vaccines are injected into muscle, and the antibodies produced in response mostly remain in the blood. Some antibodies may make their way to the nose but not enough to block it.

“The vaccines — they’re beautiful, they work, they’re amazing,” said Frances Lund, a viral immunologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. “But they’re not going to give you that local immunity.”

When the virus tries to snake down into the lungs, immune cells in vaccinated people ramp up and rapidly clear the infection before it wreaks much havoc. That means vaccinated people should be infected and contagious for a much shorter period of time than unvaccinated people, Dr. Lund said.

“But that doesn’t mean that in those first couple of days, when they’re infected, they can’t transmit it to somebody else,” she added.
"

Stop what? Sharing information that you do not like?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I tend to dismiss children, as we’ve been told time and time again they are far less likely to get and transmit the disease.

The main thing is the delta wave is being suppressed (albeit slowly as we’re still vaccinating) here in the U.K. with zero lockdown whatsoever.

Yeah, I totally agree with the UK's current policy (other than the talk about vaccine passport shit to be implemented later). Hopefully sanity prevails (and remains) there.

FunkMiller

Yeah, I totally agree with the UK's current policy (other than the talk about vaccine passport shit to be implemented later). Hopefully sanity prevails (and remains) there.

Eh. The passport thing isn’t a big deal really. Its super easy to download the NHS app, or get a paper version for the luddites. I’m fine with showing it if I have too. Don’t know anyone who’s bothered about it myself.

Guileless

They can still catch it very easily and be quite sick along with that they are young enough to not really know if they have any ..as of yet.. unnoticed underlying issue that could be very bad.
And why should we have to worry so much when it is the idiots not getting vaccinated thats 99% of the issue in florida right now?
Sure they "can" catch it, but it's extremely unlikely it would make them sick. Have you actually seen the numbers on kids? It is markedly less dangerous to kids than flu.

The heavily vaccinated UK had a delta wave too, people freaked out, hospitalizations/death barely budged, and then it crested and declined.

FunkMiller

There's a hashtag on UK Twitter right now: #BoycottCosta. It's because a branch of Costa Coffee has refused entry to unvaccinated people.

Look, you absolute cloth heads, it's okay for you to refuse to have the vaccine - that's your choice in a free society. It's equally okay in a free society for a Costa Coffee franchise to bar you entry to their premises if they think you may pose a risk to other customers.

Anti-vaxxers: whiny little snowflake hypocrites :messenger_tears_of_joy:

oneran

That's just insane and it makes it seem like they are trying to get the numbers up. If you are sick you need to stay home and away from others. If you aren't sick, you can go about your daily life since there's little to no evidence of asymptomatic transmission.

You're basically on the honor system

Changes effective Aug. 16​

– Provincial mandatory masking orders will be lifted. Some masking in acute care or continuing care facilities may still be required.
– Isolation following a positive COVID-19 test result will no longer be required, but strongly recommended.
– Individuals with symptoms of any respiratory infection should still remain at home until symptoms have resolved.
– Staying home when sick remains an important way to care for those around us by not passing on any infection.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Im hearing word that Biden just made the vaccine mandatory for all active duty military? This correct?

I thought I read about this over a month ago? Maybe I'm misremembering.

In other news, Twitter suspended Alex Berenson again for this completely factual tweet quoting Pfizer's own study. What a world we live in.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fbcc4a003-72f9-4417-b43a-be0eb75ac72a_750x1334.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Im hearing word that Biden just made the vaccine mandatory for all active duty military? This correct?

He ordered them to work on it. But honestly it's just another in the cocktail of vaccines everyone in the military is required to get.

I knew someone who was immune to anthrax due to all the shots they gave him in the Marines.

vpance

While the delta variant continues to hit unvaccinated people the hardest, some vaccinated people could be carrying higher levels of the virus than previously understood and are potentially transmitting it to others, Walensky told reporters on a call Tuesday. She added the variant behaves "uniquely differently from past strains of the virus."

A CDC document that was reviewed by CNBC warned that the delta variant sweeping across the country is as contagious as chickenpox, has a longer transmission window than the original Covid strain and may make older people sicker, even if they've been fully vaccinated.

Delta, now in at least 132 countries and already the dominant form of the disease in the United States, is more transmissible than the common cold, the 1918 Spanish flu, smallpox, Ebola, MERS and SARS, according to the document. Only measles appears to spread faster than the variant.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

DeaDPo0L84

They are not incompetent. They know exactly what they are doing.
This is unfortunately the truth. I'd like to say they're stupid but it's actually the opposite, they're smart in that they know exactly what they're doing. Cover a story where a handful of people got sick with no severe cases and nobody died but use a picture of someone on a gurney cause you know most will just read the headline and run away in fear.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I was going to share this and laugh my ass off, but I'm not sure I fully understand the implications. Is it just for this "CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel"? If so, how widely used was it even? I was under the impression that there were all sorts of manufacturer's of PCR tests, but were they all basically the same and does this mean they were all bullshit?

Top Bottom