• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I have my shot done, but I can also see the other side of the conversation. If people do not want to get the vaccine, it is their right to choose that. The government stepping in to mandate a shot isn’t the way to do things. Let the process play out and we can see where we are at.

Last edited:
It's not meant to be a bait at all, but it is in line with that the Boston mayor is also saying.

I think it's dumb policy regardless of who gets disproportionately affected, but the numbers do paint a picture of who will be hurt the most by such policies, and it doesn't look pretty from my vantage point.

Anyway, I'll drop it since apparently it's too political and Zangiefy got banned already.

I don't think I ever said it was a good idea. There are far too many factors at play and it completely depends on your situation. That's why it should be left up to the individual and this talk of universal mandates is insane.
I never said there should be a universal mandate. Even on your own admission in this thread, you have admitted that getting the vaccine offers extra protection, especially to those that are older or have underlying health conditions. Then you throw that smart-ass remark "good thing you aren't the arbiter of what is a good idea" even though you have already agreed with me that the vaccine protects people from hospitalization and death from contracting COVID.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I never said there should be a universal mandate. Even on your own admission in this thread, you have admitted that getting the vaccine offers extra protection, especially to those that are older or have underlying health conditions. Then you throw that smart-ass remark "good thing you aren't the arbiter of what is a good idea" even though you have already agreed with me that the vaccine protects people from hospitalization and death from contracting COVID.

Sorry if I'm not being clear. I don't think it's universally a good idea or not a good idea. It really depends on your individual situation. I think it's probably a good idea if you are old or fat, and especially if you are fat and old, but I think it's almost certainly not a good idea for children, and it's certainly pretty debatable if you're under 50 and healthy.

You said you didn't see any good reason why someone would not get the vaccine, but my point with the smart-ass remark was that it doesn't matter whether you see one or not. No one should get to decide for others.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
It's not meant to be a bait at all, but it is in line with that the Boston mayor is also saying.
Let me be more clear then and lay myself out completely.

I don't give a shit what color your skin is, your sexual preferences, your finances, or any other random category you wanna bring up to try and make a point. If everyone in America got vaccinated except white people (I am white btw) I would still hold the same views. I would hold those same views if it was gay people, Asians, Bisexuals, Indian, Transgender people, Native American, Black, or any other race or minority that you can think of. Because I am not discriminating in my views when it comes to this shit. You either get the vaccine or don't. Your skin color means exactly jack to me and has zero influence on my opinion. A black person stubbornly refusing to get vaccinated based on bad information and a white person doing the same are equally as ignorant and uninformed to me when it comes to this situation. I also don't care who they voted for or what part of the US they are from. I genuinely don't.

This is a common sense science based issue. Not a race related one. Not a poltics related one. If you wanna take that route and try to make it about race then go for it, but I am not gonna follow you down that ridiculous road. Try and call me a racist because I support vaccinations if you want, but I'll be back in the real world if you actually want to have a discussion at some point.

Last edited:

showernota

Day 10 and I think my coof experience is just about over. I had about every symptom possible, but very very mild and each lasted about a day. The only concerning part was a recurring fever every evening, but that was totally manageable with ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I just pounded around a gallon of water per day and prayed for no pneumonia. Feeling pretty fortunate I was able to get by with only some lingering fatigue.

Sorry if I'm not being clear. I don't think it's universally a good idea or not a good idea. It really depends on your individual situation. I think it's probably a good idea if you are old or fat, and especially if you are fat and old, but I think it's almost certainly not a good idea for children, and it's certainly pretty debatable if you're under 50 and healthy.

You said you didn't see any good reason why someone would not get the vaccine, but my point with the smart-ass remark was that it doesn't matter whether you see one or not. No one should get to decide for others.
Fair enough, but again. I never talked about forcing anyone to do anything. My opinion is based on the statistical data and the opinions of other medical professionals that gettings the vaccine is you best safety net for the virus regardless of age or condition. In Louisiana, based on the data that I shared with you, 4.20% of all deaths we still attributed to people that had no underlying health conditions. I have yet to see someone post data that contradict the safety of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine to justify skipping out on it based on the fear of adverse side effects.

Hence why I said it's "a good idea to get it" not "everyone should be forced to get it".

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Day 10 and I think my coof experience is just about over. I had about every symptom possible, but very very mild and each lasted about a day. The only concerning part was a recurring fever every evening, but that was totally manageable with ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I just pounded around a gallon of water per day and prayed for no pneumonia. Feeling pretty fortunate I was able to get by with only some lingering fatigue.

Im glad to hear that you are alright.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Wow... that the NYC vaccine passport is this incompetently made is a bit reassuring. It's just a shitty container app for a photo of your (well, any, I guess) vaccine card and looks like there is basically no way to check against it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Wow... that the NYC vaccine passport is this incompetently made is a bit reassuring. It's just a shitty container app for a photo of your (well, any, I guess) vaccine card and looks like there is basically no way to check against it.

You want it competently made so that it stores data on a database so you can complain about the government spying on you or taking away your rights?

Simple and cheap means reliable, low maintenance and privacy respectful.

vpance

Germany preparing for a vax passport this fall. Supermarkets and visiting friends included?

The federal government wants to tighten the corona measures from autumn. This emerges from several media reports. But what do the rules mean - and what do German citizens have to adjust to? Apparently there is a first draft from the Federal Ministry of Health. This provides that Germany - despite a possible rising incidence, does not plan a hard lockdown. Instead, proof of vaccination, testing and recovery should play an increasingly important role.

In the supermarket, to meet friends, at Ikea, in the cinema, in the restaurant or at the hairdresser's: From autumn everyone must have their vaccination records or recovery certificates to hand and be able to prove themselves at the entrance.

Unvaccinated people, on the other hand, need a rapid antigen test from the pharmacy, doctor or test center. These so-called citizen tests are free today, but should cost money from mid-October. Possibly only German citizens who cannot receive a vaccination for health reasons or, for example, age-related reasons, should be tested free of charge.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Yeah the whole vaccine passport idea basically sailed the first day they started giving out unverifiable cards with no photo and no link to the person other than their name. Pretty shoddy for an evil totalitarian regime hell bent on controlling the population.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You want it competently made so that it stores data on a database so you can complain about the government spying on you or taking away your rights?

Simple and cheap means reliable, low maintenance and privacy respectful.

I wasn't being sarcastic when I said "reassuring."

Germany preparing for a vax passport this fall. Supermarkets and visiting friends included?

I see everyone is hard at work making sure that I will get my groceries delivered when it's not my preference. Such is life. It'll go on, I will just stop going to grocery stores. I'll probably save money cause I won't buy as many convenience items, or cool looking things I see when I'm just walking around a store.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I have my shot done, but I can also see the other side of the conversation. If people do not want to get the vaccine, it is their right to choose that. The government stepping in to mandate a shot isn’t the way to do things. Let the process play out and we can see where we are at.
The Office Reaction GIF

Raven117

Showed me. 250 deaths in a city of 500k over 3 years. Scale that up to the current US population and you are looking at 200000 deaths over 3 years. It's just on a completely different scale to COVID.
It was extrapolated not. Not just focused on once city. You are flat out wrong to even consider small poX on the same level as covid.

plus, there are cases that pull it into question anyway and question that holding,

you are wrong on this.

Raven117

Boom.

Raven117

Let me be more clear then and lay myself out completely.

I don't give a shit what color your skin is, your sexual preferences, your finances, or any other random category you wanna bring up to try and make a point. If everyone in America got vaccinated except white people (I am white btw) I would still hold the same views. I would hold those same views if it was gay people, Asians, Bisexuals, Indian, Transgender people, Native American, Black, or any other race or minority that you can think of. Because I am not discriminating in my views when it comes to this shit. You either get the vaccine or don't. Your skin color means exactly jack to me and has zero influence on my opinion. A black person stubbornly refusing to get vaccinated based on bad information and a white person doing the same are equally as ignorant and uninformed to me when it comes to this situation. I also don't care who they voted for or what part of the US they are from. I genuinely don't.

This is a common sense science based issue. Not a race related one. Not a poltics related one. If you wanna take that route and try to make it about race then go for it, but I am not gonna follow you down that ridiculous road. Try and call me a racist because I support vaccinations if you want, but I'll be back in the real world if you actually want to have a discussion at some point.
Sorry. But no. You don’t have the luxury of not looking at color. Your privilege is showing. Your silence as to how this effects communities of color is troubling.
This is what you people wanted….a world where every decision must first be filtered through race.

Almost half of whites in New York City are fully vaccinated, compared to a third of blacks and just under 45 percent of Hispanics.

'That means that black New Yorkers will be barred from public accommodations at a far higher rate than will white New Yorkers. This is kind of an awkward policy,' notes columnist Tim Carney in the Washington Examiner. 'There is no doubt that the impact of de Blasio's rule is discriminatory.'

Councilman Joe Borelli points out that 'Mayor de Blasio is announcing that 69 percent of Blacks, 58 percent of Latinos and the majority of Bronx residents are ineligible to eat in a restaurant or go to a gym.'[\quote]

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

Sorry. But no. You don’t have the luxury of not looking at color. This is what you people wanted….a world where every decision must first be filtered through race.

Almost half of whites in New York City are fully vaccinated, compared to a third of blacks and just under 45 percent of Hispanics.

'That means that black New Yorkers will be barred from public accommodations at a far higher rate than will white New Yorkers. This is kind of an awkward policy,' notes columnist Tim Carney in the Washington Examiner. 'There is no doubt that the impact of de Blasio's rule is discriminatory.'

Councilman Joe Borelli points out that 'Mayor de Blasio is announcing that 69 percent of Blacks, 58 percent of Latinos and the majority of Bronx residents are ineligible to eat in a restaurant or go to a gym.'[\quote]

I'll repeat myself.

If you wanna take that route and try to make it about race then go for it, but I am not gonna follow you down that ridiculous road.

Nobody_Important

Your silence as to this issue says it all. It is clear you don’t care how this disproportionately effects people of color.
And the fact you are trying to take it down this road after all of your other roads have failed says it all to me.

Raven117

And the fact you are trying to take it down this road after all of your other roads have failed says it all to me.
Failed? On what road? What reality are you living in?

you have done absolutely nothing to convince me of anything. (And I’m sure I haven’t convinced you of anything either).

If anything, what I’ve been saying is more correct as time goes by.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

With restrictions loosening and vaccinated people being protected from the worst of the illness, yet still able to spread Covid, the Covid risk while being unvaxxed going forward is sounding like it's going to be increasing rather quickly. Especially in enclosed spaces.

Unless things go badly quickly with a variant in the Fall it's unlikely there will be any measures(or need) like forced vaccinations in Canada or heavier lockdowns. There may be regional mandates, tracking and such as the staggered rollout of the vaccines catches up with the last in line approved for access. Elementary school children are not approved and may have rules regarding areas where they gather like with any other health and safety concern. Varies by region and how they prioritize. Besides those ongoing restrictions the extra time with mandates gives those who aren't aware they qualify for vaccination and stragglers from earlier qualified groups have a chance to catch up with their vaccination before most/all restrictions are gone.

It's been interesting reading the debate on this thread. There's something of a Goldilock's Zone to be found between the extremes of the arguments that's been helpful.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I’d make one adjustment to the process. If ICU beds are in short supply, individuals who have exercised their freedom to forego the vaccination shall be triaged as lower priority versus other patients. If the unvaccinated patient is occupying a bed that is now needed for say, a car crash victim, their bed is forfeited to the car crash victim.

I support the notion of freedom of choice and think mandatory vaccinations for the population can be a dangerous road. I can imagine the outrage if the Trump administration mandated that all citizens must have the vaccine. Folks who are comfortable now that Biden is President were hesitant when Trump was in charge, and I remember some folks online who were quick to announce wouldn’t dare trust that vaccine.

But there are finite resources, and I do not believe in doling those resources to deadbeats over folks who did what I believe to be their civic duty. Got a genuine medical condition? Cool, I have no beef with you. Electing not to because you listened to some dumbshit talk radio personality? Sorry bro, bootstrap yourself some medical care. We have responsible Americans to take care of.

Cyberpunkd

I’m not sure scaring people into taking the vaccine is the right strategy - is it shown to be working? Likewise calling antiwaxxers names.

I think the best way is what France and NYC is doing - you are vaccinated, go on with your life. You’re not - you need to wait till you get the vaccine or the situation stabilises.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

Masks vs N95 debate from this morning is good example of where the changing line of irrationality and fear can be drawn.

As the locals in my area understands it, to be effective non N95 mask use requires masks made of decent materials, well maintianed, fitted, most everyone to use one...AND for known cases to be isolated with only asymptomatics with low viral counts being the primary spreaders being mitigated by masks. Any higher viral exposure requires full vaccine or N95. Not only are masks going away, soon symtomatic Covid people will be unrestricted, without sick leave and working through circumstance across the public service industry in full force.

GloveSlap

I have been fully vaccinated for a while, but i've been sick as a dog for the past week and a half. I was up all night in the fetal position with insane chills/etc at its peak. Not sure if it was Covid, but if that was the weakened version then it is no joke. Probably the sickest i've been since i was a kid.

sinnergy

I have been fully vaccinated for a while, but i've been sick as a dog for the past week and a half. I was up all night in the fetal position with insane chills/etc at its peak. Not sure if it was Covid, but if that was the weakened version then it is no joke. Probably the sickest i've been since i was a kid.
It’s no joke … but most will be like : it’s flu .. but a good flu you are also very sick.

Anyway fully vaccinated people can get very sick of it , read multiple reports by people .

It also doesn’t help that you can’t rub these shots , if you rub your are at the spot of the shot , you render in worthless as if you haven’t been vaccinated told a medical worker to me ..
Normally you can do that as you do with babies that get vaccinated, imagine all the people that do this …

Last edited:
It’s no joke … but most will be like : it’s flu .. but a good flu you are also very sick.

Anyway fully vaccinated people can get very sick of it , read multiple reports by people .

It also doesn’t help that you can’t rub these shots , if you rub your are at the spot of the shot , you render in worthless as if you haven’t been vaccinated told a medical worker to me ..
Normally you can do that as you do with babies that get vaccinated, imagine all the people that do this …
That doesn’t seem legit, pretty sure you can rub your arm and that has no effect on the efficacy.

sinnergy

That doesn’t seem legit, pretty sure you can rub your arm and that has no effect on the efficacy.
It doesn’t , you can’t rub it , that’s why most people have a sore arm, the needle is also longer so they can inject it your muscle .. it’s taken in by the body a bit different, that’s what a health worker told me when taking the shot , I asked if I could rub, and there are reports on the internet if you look.

Last edited:
It doesn’t , you can’t rub it , that’s why most people have a sore arm, the needle is also longer so they can inject it your muscle .. it’s taken in by the body a bit different, that’s what a health worker told me when taking the shot , I asked if I could rub, and there are reports on the internet if you look.
Ok, well I’m pretty sure vaccines and shots in general have caused sore arms and been injected into muscle since forever, and you can rub it or not it’s up to you. I’ve been advised TO rub it by a medical professional. C’mon man, that’s nothing, I don’t even need to look that just doesn’t make sense.

adj83

Neo Member
And a story of caution from the Guardian.

I saw this one too. His sister had previously posted that he had asthma and apparently he / his friends discussed performance enhancement drugs. I haven't been able to confirm the latter but he did look very well built in some of the pictures included in the Daily Mail article. Whether that is considered "fit and healthy" is subjective.

FunkMiller

Antivaxxers have always been imbeciles.

The thing about viruses is that they don’t give a shit about a person’s politics, lifestyle, social media contacts, religious beliefs, paranoias, desires, fears, hopes, or dreams.

This is an uncomfortable truth for many in a country where they are brought up to believe that what they think is always important, and that by stating your opinion loud enough, you can get what you want. (To a lesser extent this is a problem infecting all of the western world).

You can’t gaslight a virus. Ever. No matter how much they want to believe it’s a conspiracy, or that it’s not that serious, it is. And ordinary people don’t know more than scientists. Their opinion is not equal. Not anywhere, including this forum.

It’s a crying shame these anti vax absolute idiots only realise this when they’re drowning on their own lungs, understanding for the first time that their god or their ‘freedoms’ are not going to save them.

Last edited:

Cracklox

Greetings free(ish) world from Melbourne, Australia, now entering our 6th lockdown, about a week and half removed from our last.

When there's 6 cases in a population of 6.6 million, the only option is locking down according to our Great Leaders. Because the other ones all clearly worked.

Hail our Great Leader and praise him for keeping me safe from a virus with 99+% survival rate, and an average age of death 2 years above average life expectancy. Even though he didn't do much in 2017 when we had 300 more deaths from the flu, then we did covid last year, I really think he has our best interest at heart.

sinnergy

Ok, well I’m pretty sure vaccines and shots in general have caused sore arms and been injected into muscle since forever, and you can rub it or not it’s up to you. I’ve been advised TO rub it by a medical professional. C’mon man, that’s nothing, I don’t even need to look that just doesn’t make sense.
Good for you , they told me not to do it , because it breaks down, I’ll leave it at that .

Last edited:

Ellery

Greetings free(ish) world from Melbourne, Australia, now entering our 6th lockdown, about a week and half removed from our last.

When there's 6 cases in a population of 6.6 million, the only option is locking down according to our Great Leaders. Because the other ones all clearly worked.

Hail our Great Leader and praise him for keeping me safe from a virus with 99+% survival rate, and an average age of death 2 years above average life expectancy. Even though he didn't do much in 2017 when we had 300 more deaths from the flu, then we did covid last year, I really think he has our best interest at heart.

Wouldn't Delta be completely out of control given the extremely infectous nature in a nation that has an extremely low vaccination rate?
Also Australia has tried a zero covid approach which means that in total very few people have been infected in the past which means that both vaccination rate and antibodies from previous infections are low?

If Australia stays open, and the population is extremely centralized in big cities, then Delta would spread like wildfire and overwhelm the health services, wouldn't it?

betrayal

Banned
The thing about viruses is that they don’t give a shit about a person’s politics, lifestyle, social media contacts, religious beliefs, paranoias, desires, fears, hopes, or dreams.

This is an uncomfortable truth for many in a country where they are brought up to believe that what they think is always important, and that by stating your opinion loud enough, you can get what you want. (To a lesser extent this is a problem infecting all of the western world).

You can’t gaslight a virus. Ever. No matter how much they want to believe it’s a conspiracy, or that it’s not that serious, it is. And ordinary people don’t know more than scientists. Their opinion is not equal. Not anywhere, including this forum.

It’s a crying shame these anti vax absolute idiots only realise this when they’re drowning on their own lungs, understanding for the first time that their god or their ‘freedoms’ are not going to save them.

I am not even close to being an anti-vaxxer, but I think you have to separate between stupid anti-vaxxers, and "normal" anti-vaxxers, who usually have all the mandatory vaccinations and have always been in favor of them, but who would like to see more nuances and differentiation regarding the coronavirus and vaccination.

The latter group of these two will also be vaccinated in the coming weeks, but there will always be this political aftertaste, because no distinction has ever been made between idiots and critics.

This is the case, by the way, with so many issues in the world.

Top Bottom