• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Coworker sniffed my lunch. I made him buy a new one. Am I being unfair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
These aren't comparable situations. If you order a pizza to share, you expect people to be touching the slices of pizza they're going to take. If you go out to a dinner with friends you know and your people share food from each other's plates, that's something you expect to happen.

Some dude coming up to your cubicle, opening up your food, and putting his face in it aren't these things.

Like I said, it's really strange to me that people are okay with this. I can understand jumping on OP for his passive aggressive behavior afterwards, but it's clear that some people just don't have boundaries, for better or for worse.

A co-worker who goes out of their way to be friendly to me everyday commenting on how great my lunch smelled and taking a whiff would not even make me blink. I seriously doubt he was drooling and dripping snot all over it.

Ivan 3414

OP overreacted, yes. But the vitriol GAF spat in this topic is a meltdown all on its own

He shouldn't have sniffed your food; you shouldn't have pushed him to pay for it. Just apologize and move on.

It's a little space invadey but nothing to freak out over like the OP did. You realize a lot of your food is touched by people you don't know?

Yup, and it's certainly nothing to embarrass someone over. Especially someone who's friendly with you and doubly especially someone you work with. Like, no shit, I can't believe people have to explain it.

That said, we all fuck up, OP. You should just apologize for insulting the guy and explain that you're a bit of a germaphobe.

You don't have to bother telling him not to sniff your food anymore -- he won't do that again. Problem is he (and others) might not talk to you again, either.

OP, just know that I dislike your types in office. Proud, on a high horse and just dealbreakers anywhere they go. Screw your chicken.

A co-worker who goes out of their way to be friendly to me everyday commenting on how great my lunch smelled and taking a whiff would not even make me blink. I seriously doubt he was drooling and dripping snot all over it.

Right. So you have a difference in personal space and boundaries than OP.

That's not a bad thing, it just means you're different.

As for me, someone being nice to me doesn't excuse the fact that I'm not into close-talkers, people who touch me without permission, or people tampering with my food. You can have a cordial relationship with someone without sacrificing who you are for their comfort level.

3N16MA

Banned
Arnold will never learn about boundaries unless someone tells him it is not OK to touch whatever he wants. However OP is the wrong person to do it as it seems he can't talk to Arnold without making him feel like shit.

OP has to remember that he let Arnold invade his space several times before this incident and kept his mouth shut. OP bottled this up and then exploded on Arnold instead of saying something long ago.

Arcteryx

I feel like this topic should be in an upcoming "Silicon Valley" episode it's so ridiculous.

The OP literally asked for this thread. lol

tumblr_nomvtzofzg1qiav1rsy.gif

You probably shouldn't touch someone else's food as a matter of politeness.

But once you act like OP, the food-sniffer is back on the high ground.

Nope. I don't think you overreacted. Very out of line to LIFT THE LID and sniff. The coworker doesn't work around the food before it goes out anyway.

Exactly. I'm probably more angry that he felt comfortable enough with me to touch, open, and move my food. Sniffing it in and breathing it is just gross. I'm sure things will be fine, but he needs to know when too close is too close. Me not saying anything could be just as bad as me doing what I did. I agree, leaving the food for him was passive aggressive, but he sure did take it home, from what I could tell. I HAVE to trust people that prepare food for a living around my food. I don't trust him with my food.

Tigress

You're not wrong to say something but you didn't have to go into detail about boogers and such. Maybe a simple, "Please don't sniff my food again." and suck up the rest of it by either eating it or buying another (honestly I'm squeamish about germs touching my food but I think I could get over that. Certainly better than causing a scene at my workplace). At best you could mention now you have to buy another one and let him offer to pay and deal with it if he doesn't.

Nope just nope..
I don't completely agree with op, but seriously, manners makes a man..
I can understand a guy overreaching in public interactions (keyword, understand not agree), but that's as far as it goes..
The dude Arnold does not know the op more than a lil' bit, and opening my food and sniffing it when we're Barely on first name basis it's way too intruding..
Sorry gaf, i make joke, i tease colleagues a lot, but only those i have a reasonable intimacy with, i don't go and open the food of another guy only because i salute him and i share a chat every now and then..
Op may have acted too rashly, but the Arnold guy was out of line...

Exactly. I'm probably more angry that he felt comfortable enough with me to touch, open, and move my food. Sniffing it in and breathing it is just gross. I'm sure things will be fine, but he needs to know when too close is too close. Me not saying anything could be just as bad as me doing what I did. I agree, leaving the food for him was passive aggressive, but he sure did take it home, from what I could tell. I HAVE to trust people that prepare food for a living around my food. I don't trust him with my food.
You seem to only be interested in the few people who agree with you...

I responded to at least 2 other people. The thing is, there's a crowd of everyone hammering down on me. I'm not going to go through responding to each post when they're saying the same thing.

Either way, I've read your posts. I read it all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't even know how to describe how ridiculous OP's reaction was.

Considering that the vast majority of people who are disagreeing are calling names, projecting, and completely disregarding his opinion, that would make a certain measure of sense.

There are people who have disagreed respectfully, but they're in the minority.

I responded to at least 2 other people. The thing is, there's a crowd of everyone hammering down on me. I'm not going to go through responding to each post when they're saying the same thing.

Either way, I've read your posts. I read it all.
Actually you're right. I didn't look enough before replying, sorry. :-(

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I agree with the OP. Why you touching and sniffing another man's food b ? We don't do that in Harlem. And I'm totally serious.

Fat4all

Banned
Despite all the rhetoric that has come so far, I'd like OP to go into more detail on him going to their desk, laying the food down, then forcing the co-worker to buy them a new lunch.

That just seems crazy.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Buy him lunch and apologise, you don't want to known as the office diva/weirdo.

The people jumping on OP in this thread is just ridiculous. You all act like he went up to Arnold and slapped the shit out of him. People have different boundaries and don't like people in their personal space. Get over yourselves.

Brannon

On one hand, yeah, bit of an over reaction.

On the other hand, unless its been in the microwave too long and the person is taking their damn time to get it out, why is that person touching his food?

I'm considering buying him some donuts or lunch or something. The office supplies coffee and breakfast items.

He hoards the breakfast items and snacks on them throughout the day, so I'm sure he'll appreciate it. I may even apologize. I was just hangry (hungry+angry), maybe.
I think explaining the hangry thing would go a long way (cuz everyone understands what it's like to be cranky due to hunger).

Your lunch really shouldn't smell (good or bad) in your cubicle. It's very unprofessional. Open your lunch box somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom