• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

hamchan said:
I wasn't expecting those scores when I heard a sequel to Crackdown was being made. >_>

I wanted Crackdown 2 to have scores at least equal or better than its prequel.
a sequel that is as good as the game before almost always scores a bit less than the original. an 80% three years ago isn't the same as an 80% now.

Shurs

Kaijima said:
Ironically the 8 months meme would probably just result in people giving Ruffian more of the sympathy they deserve for their plight.

How is that ironic? It seems the whole purpose of the 8 month meme (which is completely bullshit, by the way) is to make excuses for the game, and by extension, Ruffian.

The same shit happened last year with ODST. Why should any game get a free pass, based on development time, when it's a full priced game.

soldat7

Shurs said:
How is that ironic? It seems the whole purpose of the 8 month meme (which is completely bullshit, by the way) is to make excuses for the game, and by extension, Ruffian.

The same shit happened last year with ODST. Why should any game get a free pass, based on development time, when it's a full priced game.

ODST gave me more hours of entertainment per dollar than God of War III. I'm sure Crackdown 2 will yield similar results. If we went around slamming every game that wasn't worthy of a $60 price tag, we'd pretty much have to slam 98% of all games at that point.

jkanownik

I started this up last night and was surprised that I didn't really recognize the city as much as I though I would based on the criticisms. It was possible I was too busy collecting orbs to notice. After chasing my first rogue orb I was sold. I said I would go to bed at 65 agility orbs and ended up at 81 before I quit.

Shurs

soldat7 said:
ODST gave me more hours of entertainment per dollar than God of War III. I'm sure Crackdown 2 will yield similar results.

I'm not speaking of the quality of either game. I really enjoyed Crackdown 2. I don't score my reviews but my sentiment was definitely favorable. The issue I have is with people making excuses for a full priced product. I don't care if a game takes 5 years or 5 months to make, if they're both $60, they deserve to be judged equally.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
You could turn the announcer off. :p
True, though you missed the point.

Had some co-op time last night, and as with the first game, a buddy makes the game much, much better. Again, playing on Psychotic in the north makes it dangerous, so when we trigger the strategic point helicopter call, all hell breaks loose. It's nice that they added a revive feature, it came in handy.

The explosions are a definite step back from the first game. They just don't have any personality, just a giant wall of pretty lame looking fire that disappears instantly. I miss the chunky, smokey and contrail-laden explosions of the first game.

Shurs said:
I'm not speaking of the quality of either game. I really enjoyed Crackdown 2. I don't score my reviews but my sentiment was definitely favorable. The issue I have is with people making excuses for a full priced product. I don't care if a game takes 5 years or 5 months to make, if they're both $60, they deserve to be judged equally.
i don't dispute that logic personally.

however, a game just worth $60 (as I feel crackdown 2 is) is still worth $60 even if another game that costs $60 is worth twice that.

you don't need to bring dev time into question to determine if crackdown 2 is worth $60, but you don't need to bring other games into question unless the question is 'is this one game worth my $60 over all the others i might want to buy'.

soldat7

GhaleonEB said:
The explosions are a definite step back from the first game. They just don't have any personality, just a giant wall of pretty lame looking fire that disappears instantly. I miss the chunky, smokey and contrail-laden explosions of the first game.

I don't mind the explosions, but I do wish they were a bit more dynamic-looking. The smokey contrail-laden explosions, as you describe, were definitely iconic and it's a shame they're not there (I'm sure for technical reasons, unfortunately.)

Shurs said:

Well said; I agree. I think the problem is that people's opinion on what justifies a $60 price tag varies wildly.

Shurs

plagiarize said:
i don't dispute that logic personally.

however, a game just worth $60 (as I feel crackdown 2 is) is still worth $60 even if another game that costs $60 is worth twice that.

you don't need to bring dev time into question to determine if crackdown 2 is worth $60, but you don't need to bring other games into question unless the question is 'is this one game worth my $60 over all the others i might want to buy'.

To be clear, I do think that if someone loved Crackdown, they should like Crackdown 2. I'm not questioning the game's value, either. I'l be there day one for DLC and I had tons of fun playing the game alone and with a friend. And fun was what I was looking for in Crackdown 2, so I wasn't disappointed.

I just want to whisk the "8 month" dev time excuse away, because it's not true.

FrankT

Been collecting orbs last night and this morning to start off. So good. It seems they fixed having to be right on top of it as it was in the demo I believe. The aiming seems a bit better overall. I'm not of the opinion that the vistas/dd are as clear as the first game which saddens me. 260 orbs and probably 5 hours in. I can see myself playing this for a very long time and especially so after the single player. Also didn't the first have dynamic ads? Not seeing that this time around.

GhaleonEB

Shurs said:
Aye, and Bungie had initially stated ODST was an expansion pack before Microsoft's marketing department muzzled them. It was a small side project, and Bungie didn't want anyone mistaking it for their fullly featured games. One thing ODST and Crackdown 2 have in common was a truncated development cycle. 12 months for ODST, 15 for Crackdown 2. In both cases, it shows.

One downside to that which I'm actually angry about: I love the saved film and screenshot features in Halo 3. They compliment the game perfectly: not only can all sorts of hilarious and awesome things happen in the game, but you can review, document and share those moments. Crackdown is the only game I've played that needs saved films even more than Halo does. Three years later, and Bungie are still the only guys doing saved films right, and one of the only ones to bother doing it at all. When Halo 3 came out, I wanted it to be a standard feature for action games. Alas.

Last night I had an epic moment where I had to bail out of a high rooftop. I plop a (level 4) shrapnel grenade at my feet, leap off backward as the entire rooftop just lights up, and then proceed to rotate 360 degrees, locking onto and sniping three guys from different buildings as I fell down. I was epic. But no one will ever see it but me, and I got to see it that once. Crackdown creates moments that demand to be savored via saved films. The more I think about it, the more it's clear just how hurting the game is for social features (I'm used to Halo's absurd social suite); the truncated dev cycle really cut into the game.

Shurs

GhaleonEB said:
Last night I had an epic moment where I had to bail out of a high rooftop. I plop a (level 4) shrapnel grenade at my feet, leap off backward as the entire rooftop just lights up, and then proceed to rotate 360 degrees, locking onto a sniping three guys from different buildings as I fell down. I was epic. But no one will ever see it but me, and I got to see it that once. Crackdown creates moments that demand to be savored via saved films. The more I think about it, the more it's clear just how hurting the game is for social features (I'm used to Halo's absurd social suite); the truncated dev cycle really cut into the game.

I agree, there were many times playing Crackdown 2 that I wished I could have captured the moment. Just Cause 2's Youtube integration was excellent.

soldat7

GhaleonEB said:
One thing ODST and Crackdown 2 have in common was a truncated development cycle. 12 months for ODST, 15 for Crackdown 2. In both cases, it shows.

ODST is better and more feature-rich than 90% of first-person shooters on the market. How does the shorter development cycle 'show'? I can somewhat see and feel the effects on Crackdown, but not ODST. I'm not arguing, I just must be missing something. Maybe compared to a typical Bungie release?

theultimo said:
Whats nice is the cool little map when you start it up. Shoot about 3-4 people playing it in Georgia and about 1 or so in Russia! Sadly, ZERO in Africa.

Edit: Current stats:
s13pO.jpg

Game is only getting released in South Africa tomorrow.:(

JoeBoy101

Okay, question for the thread.

One thing that has annoyed me is how alot of major retailers have pulled the original Crackdown's SKU. Not sure if its been noticied, but if you google that shit, you'll see that outside of Amazon, and a couple of other chains, there are only niche sites that offer new copies. Otherwise its a used copy.

Here's my dilemma. I really want to play some Crackdown again and am intrigued by the sequel, but given all the comments made here, it sounds like I'm better suited to get a used copy of the original for $15 rather than drop $60 on the sequel.

Thus my question, is the sequel worth buying at the $60 or is it more worth it just to grab the original at $15? One added noted, I only did one playthrough of the original a couple of years ago, so I've forgotten most of everything of it. So it doesn't bother me if the re-used the city.

theultimo

JoeBoy101 said:

One thing that has annoyed me is how alot of major retailers have pulled the original Crackdown's SKU. Not sure if its been noticied, but if you google that shit, you'll see that outside of Amazon, and a couple of other chains, there are only niche sites that offer new copies. Otherwise its a used copy.

Here's my dilemma. I really want to play some Crackdown again and am intrigued by the sequel, but given all the comments made here, it sounds like I'm better suited to get a used copy of the original for $15 rather than drop $60 on the sequel.

Thus my question, is the sequel worth buying at the $60 or is it more worth it just to grab the original at $15? One added noted, I only did one playthrough of the original a couple of years ago, so I've forgotten most of everything of it. So it doesn't bother me if the re-used the city.
19.99 new with games on demand.

Shurs

JoeBoy101 said:

Crackdown for $15 certainly represents a better value than Crackdown 2 at $60. So if it's a "one or the other" situation, I'd recommend the first game. That being said, I had enough fun playing Crackdown 2 to warrant a $60 price tag.

Hugbot

JoeBoy101 said:

I'd say unless your Crackdown love runs deep, go ahead and get the original and then get CD2 when it goes on sale. I am having a ton of fun with CD2, but I wouldn't really recommend it at full price if you haven't played a lot of the first and are hungry for more.

Check out the demo though, it's the entire first island capped at a half-hour, and you can sort of gauge the differences from the first from that.

FrankT

Opus Angelorum said:
Have people in the UK received the game early (looking at that map)?

Not sure, but there were a ton of people on from the UK this morn and was wondering the same.

GhaleonEB

soldat7 said:
ODST is better and more feature-rich than 90% of first-person shooters on the market. How does the shorter development cycle 'show'? I can somewhat see and feel the effects on Crackdown, but not ODST. I'm not arguing, I just must be missing something. Maybe compared to a typical Bungie release?
Yes, that is what I meant. I neglected to mention that it was a relative measure. But I could definitely tell from the later portions of the campaign that they had to cut some corners, in duration an quality.

Though, Bungie pulled off a much greater feat in 12 months than Ruffian did in 15. They had the benefit of an established team and a solid tech base, though.

Right. 680 points and done. It's a fun game, but way too similar to the predecssor. I see an opening for a sequel (again) though, and perhaps third time really could be the charm if Ruffian have a good two years or whatever to develop it. Mine was a review copy from MS, but I'd recommend this to people unreservedly once it drops a little bit.

goldenpp72

yeah I would say my feeling on cd2 is that it is very samey but I didn't get enough crack out of crackdown 1, so this will quell that itch, I wouldn't bother with a third game with such a structure, and hope they will go all out with a good development time (even if it's early next gen), but I guess it's to say i'm more glad we got anything at all than the series death.

I bet if the game were called crackdown: The aftermath and priced for 40 people wouldn't be bitching like little kids over this 'injustice', funny because you can get it for 40 bucks already, but that 2 in the name just ruins the game.

hamchan

goldenpp72 said:
I bet if the game were called crackdown: The aftermath and priced for 40 people wouldn't be bitching like little kids over this 'injustice', funny because you can get it for 40 bucks already, but that 2 in the name just ruins the game.

People bitched about Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening's $40 price point, for good reason too. Expansions priced at $40 aren't looked at kindly.

goldenpp72 said:
I cannot speak for anyone else here, but I would still be annoyed if the first game in the Crackdown franchise after three years was an expansion pack

GhaleonEB said:
True, though you missed the point.

Had some co-op time last night, and as with the first game, a buddy makes the game much, much better. Again, playing on Psychotic in the north makes it dangerous, so when we trigger the strategic point helicopter call, all hell breaks loose. It's nice that they added a revive feature, it came in handy.

I was beng sarcastic, hence the ":p".

daycru

I really enjoy the race missions where they can't be bothered to tell you what the time limits are. Hit 25 out of 27 checkpoints then it just sort of ends. Fuck this game.

need to spend more time with the game, but i can see why some people are a bit disappointed. i think more mission variety should be available such as freak missions at night and gang missions during the day. they also could've used the freaks to their advantage by creating some huge bosses that can scale buildings and cause mayhem.

i think the people who enjoyed crackdown will also enjoy this, but i personally wish they didn't spend time adding a vs. component and instead focused on variety and additions to sp/coop.

Marvie_3

Banned
daycru said:
I really enjoy the race missions where they can't be bothered to tell you what the time limits are. Hit 25 out of 27 checkpoints then it just sort of ends. Fuck this game.
Uh...there is no time limit on the races and if it ends after 25 checkpoints, you missed some.

daycru

Marvie_3 said:
Uh...there is no time limit on the races and if it ends after 25 checkpoints, you missed some.
Did you try all of the races? I forget how many checkpoints there exactly are on the mission I rage quit, let's say there were 30. I got 29. I glide over to the climbable ledges on the smoke stack where the final checkpoint is. I start climbing. Race failed, DNF.

Marvie_3

Banned
daycru said:
Did you try all of the races? I forget how many checkpoints there exactly are on the mission I rage quit, let's say there were 30. I got 29. I glide over to the climbable ledges on the smoke stack where the final checkpoint is. I start climbing. Race failed, DNF.
In the first CD there were time limits between checkpoints, so maybe that's what it was. The races as a whole don't have time limits though.

Edit: Just popped the game in to check. There is a time limit between checkpoints but unlike the first Crackdown, it doesn't bring up the timer.

Hugbot

Marvie_3 said:
In the first CD there were time limits between checkpoints, so maybe that's what it was. The races as a whole don't have time limits though.

Edit: Just popped the game in to check. There is a time limit between checkpoints but unlike the first Crackdown, it doesn't bring up the timer.
It seemed more generous with the time limits as well, as there were a few times that I fell and had to climb back up and it went ok, maybe they get harsher on the other islands.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hugbot said:
It seemed more generous with the time limits as well, as there were a few times that I fell and had to climb back up and it went ok, maybe they get harsher on the other islands.
Yeah, it was a full minute before it timed out.

Marvie_3

Banned
NH Apache said:
Worth installing to hard drive or better off the disk?
Always install.

Agility orbs are pissing me off already. The menu says I'm missing 34 of them in Hope Springs but I've flown all over the place and haven't seen a single one. :lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If you look at the achievements tab on the menu and go to the orb related ones it'll actually pop them up on the map. You can also see them for a split second if you hit up on the dpad.

augmental

Drinking Hatorade said:
*snip* they also could've used the freaks to their advantage by creating some huge bosses that can scale buildings and cause mayhem.

I thought they had big boss freaks!!? Isn't there one climbing a building in the box art? If all the freaks are the same size then that is pretty lame.

derFeef

Played my first longer session now. It's my old love all over again, with all the fun and all the frustration. What I dislike at the moment is the map, as it is hard to navigate it in the menu. It would be also nice to see the extraction points/drop zones on the edge of the minimap. I died a few times already because I could not find the nearest one quicker and therefore lost my collected weapons and cars from the other islands :(

On what difficulty are you guys playing? I play tough and it´s a pain to walk or drive into the "harder" zones.

S1kkZ

played 6 hours so far and i love it!

-love the uv weapons and fighting the freaks with it.
-gliding is a ton of fun once you get used to it. great addition.
-skydiving (take the helicopter, fly high and jump out using the gliding suit).
-city feels so different. for example shai-gen looks very fucked up and has a lot of the building geometry changed.
-i like the freaks, especially the big ones in the shai-gen district. really makes the game feel different at night.
-the agency tower "evolves" as you complete more and more beacon missions. nice little detail.
-i like the beacon missions in the caves. a little more variety would have been nice, but the caves look different enough and the enemy types (later on) keep it interesting.
-there is a lot more story if you want to dive in. also a lot more setup at the beginning (intro, tutorial, flight above the city, they introduce you to the world at least a little bit).
-agency announcer is as cool as ever.

still havent tried out co-op or the mag grenade yet.

stuff i didnt like:
-slowdown. happens too often.
-aiming still needs work.
-taking back the cell strongholds is not fun.

i really like the game and cant wait to play with my buddies. well worth 60 bucks.

flsh

Banned
I forgot to cancel my preorder for this. I wont play this for at least another week but I have to say I'm quite happy now that I forgot to cancel my order. If it is still as fun as the first I know I will love it a lot, which is what matters most anyways.

I just hope next time MS funds Rufian properly. That team really figured out how to make a game extraordinarily fun and I would love seeing what they can do when they aren't limited by money and men power.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Marvie_3 said:
Always install.

Agility orbs are pissing me off already. The menu says I'm missing 34 of them in Hope Springs but I've flown all over the place and haven't seen a single one. :lol

Using the Ping Radar thing?

Top Bottom