• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

Why For? said:
So you think it perfectly reasonable to expect the impossible?

Awesome. Nice talk.

There are sequels out there that give less than CD2 did, and yet people still bought them and were happy to hand over their cash. Why does CD2 get so much crap for it?

And not ONCE have I seen anyone post what they could have done different. All they've posted is whining.

Business is business. If Ruffian want to put out regurgitated crap like this for $60 then I'd say the customers have every right to bitch. Saying that the devs (you?) had only 8 months to pull Crackdown 2 together only further confirms the uninspired nature of the game. For fuck's sake, even the Madden team has longer to push out a sequel. I don't expect the impossible, perhaps I should just expect my money's worth?

Why For?

Banned
I seriously struggle to stop playing this game.

I lose so much time playing it. 4 hours disappears like it's 5 minutes I swear to god. I could play this non-stop for days.

BigNastyCurve said:
Business is business. If Ruffian want to put out regurgitated crap like this for $60 then I'd say the customers have every right to bitch. Saying that the devs (you?) had only 8 months to pull Crackdown 2 together only further confirms the uninspired nature of the game. For fuck's sake, even the Madden team has longer to push out a sequel. I don't expect the impossible, perhaps I should just expect my money's worth?

I'd normally agree on the money front, but here's the thing.

No one MADE you buy it at $60. There was a demo that showed you what you were going to get for your $60, you had reviews telling you what you were getting you for your $60, you KNOW game prices drop quick these days.

If you still make uninformed purchases (not you personally, not sure if you actually have the game) while having SO much information on hand, then you have no one to balme but yourself.

I knew what I was getting with this game, and me personally, didn't actually expect anything else. I personally don't see how you can really dramatically change what makes Crackdown Crackdown without making the game completely different.

Crackdown was never about story. It was always an excuse to simply have fun and fuck around in a massive playground with superpowers, and tap into your inner OCD and collect orbs.

The real issue lies with those who expected them to change a game whose premise is built on simplicity. People want Crackdown to be GTA4 with hyper physics. That would suck. Crackdown is better than GTA for that exact reason.

Marvie_3

Banned
Emerson said:
Using the Ping Radar thing?
I actually just found out about this a little bit ago. I'd kill to have this patched into Crackdown 1. I've been stuck on 499 for a looong time. :lol

theultimo

Why For? said:
I seirously struggle to stop playing this game.

I lose so much time playing it. 4 hours disappears like it's 5 minutes I swear to god. I could play this non-stop for days.
I'm having fun playing it, but playing the original has made me sour on what I am experiencing. The whole pol-cloypse idea seems too....generic. I am not having as much fun when I played through the original. Its more of an "expansion" to how I feel.

derFeef

I just encountered a civilian with a guiter - he sings a nice song about the agency. :lol
The little details make this game even more awesome.

Hugbot

derFeef said:
I just encountered a civilian with a guiter - he sings a nice song about the agency. :lol
I "encountered" him during a road race, I didn't know he would actually be singing.

goldenpp72

Marvie_3 said:
I actually just found out about this a little bit ago. I'd kill to have this patched into Crackdown 1. I've been stuck on 499 for a looong time. :lol

I got stuck at 497 and got so pissed trying to find them I used a map and replayed the game to get all 500 -_-

The radar ping in this is awesome, it works for hidden orbs too :)

I will say the wing suit is awesome but limited, sad, I haven't been able to use it much unless I first use a helicopter, which brings me to another question, I used the helicopter code that came with my game, but the only ones I see are a BITCH to get to quickly, is there something i'm missing?

Why For?

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
I got stuck at 497 and got so pissed trying to find them I used a map and replayed the game to get all 500 -_-

The radar ping in this is awesome, it works for hidden orbs too :)

I will say the wing suit is awesome but limited, sad, I haven't been able to use it much unless I first use a helicopter, which brings me to another question, I used the helicopter code that came with my game, but the only ones I see are a BITCH to get to quickly, is there something i'm missing?

It's a helicopter for your avatar :lol

goldenpp72

Why For? said:
It's a helicopter for your avatar :lol

Oh god, I thought it was something useful like easy access to the helicopter :(

Also, I am disappointed that the preorder armor doesn't have red! Green is OK though.

I have one other thing to say for now, the multiplayer is really funny, as someone who played some of gta4 multi and thought it was total trash, I had no hopes for crackdown multiplayer, but it's actually pretty fun in small doses, and i was surprised to see that the points balanced depending on ease of use (rockets give you little points per kill, etc)

theultimo

goldenpp72 said:
Oh god, I thought it was something useful like easy access to the helicopter :(

Also, I am disappointed that the preorder armor doesn't have red! Green is OK though.

I have one other thing to say for now, the multiplayer is really funny, as someone who played some of gta4 multi and thought it was total trash, I had no hopes for crackdown multiplayer, but it's actually pretty fun in small doses, and i was surprised to see that the points balanced depending on ease of use (rockets give you little points per kill, etc)
Which is what Crackdown 1 did best, with only 2 players however. If you haven't played the original, you can get it for less then 20 bucks and its worth playing through before playing the expansion.

soldat7

BigNastyCurve said:
Business is business. If Ruffian want to put out regurgitated crap like this for $60 then I'd say the customers have every right to bitch.

Let me remind you of something: This is a Microsoft published game.

derFeef said:

I leaped off the top of a nearby building to listen to him. Unfortunately I landed a little too close and he, and the surrounding crowd, ran off in terror.

I AM JOHN! said:
I cannot speak for anyone else here, but I would still be annoyed if the first game in the Crackdown franchise after three years was an expansion pack

So you'd rather have no new Crackdown at all?

Mrbob

Thinking about the mission structure for Crackdown 3 (please be made), what about combining some elements of 1 and 2? Bring the crime bosses back, but then surround the crime boss in area strongholds you need to control to get to him/her. You can have a bunch of mini bases you have to take out before you make it to the big camp. This way you can have a little more structure, and still give the end user open options on where to attack. You could also give the end user a bonus if they could sneak by these strongholds and get to the main base and taking out the crime boss...then you weaken the periphery strongholds. I hope Ruffian does not go down the GTA route of complete linear missions. Crackdown is still at its best when it is all about freedom.

And implement the Freaks system better. They have not been a threat with my UV Shotgun. I blast through them like fodder. For taking out lairs, Imagine if you had huge underground networks you could scale in like what you can do up top. The freaks system isn't a bad idea for the game. It feels unpolished and underdeveloped.

GhaleonEB

Mrbob said:
Thinking about the mission structure for Crackdown 3 (please be made) and what about combining some elements of 1 and 2? Bring the crime bosses back, but then surround the crime boss in area strongholds you need to control to get to him/her. You can have a bunch of mini bases you have to take out before you make it to the big camp. This way you can have a little more structure, and still give the end user open options on where to attack. You could also give the end user a bonus if they could sneak by these strongholds and get to the main base and taking out the crime boss...then you weaken the periphery strongholds. I hope Ruffian does not go down the GTA route of complete linear missions. Crackdown is still at its best when it is all about freedom.

And implement the Freaks system better. They have not been a threat with my UV Shotgun. I blast through them like fodder. For taking out lairs, Imagine if you had huge underground networks you could scale in like what you can do up top. The freaks system isn't a bad idea for the game. It feels unpolished and underdeveloped.
One thing I had hoped to see introduced was the idea of moving targets. Not the flying orbs, but ways for you to be opportunistic about some objectives, such as one of the bosses moving from one fortified location to another from day to day, and you could try to take him out at either location or while he's in transit with a big armed caravan. That would take the idea of using the environment to shape your attack strategy in a different direction. CD2 went in the opposite direction, where everything is very fixed in place.

I like your idea of a series of related objectives; Ruffian did something like that with this game but I don't think they quite gel.

One thing I wanted with the sequel was an opponent to rival me; not huge numbers, but some individual foes that put up a challenge up on the rooftops. I hear there are some giant freaks later on, hopefully they fit the bill somewhat.

The core gameplay in CD is so damn good, they just need a full dev cycle to iterate and build on it.

soldat7

Cracking Down on Crackdown 2 Negativity, by Pete Davison

I'll let the article linked above speak for itself (it's a great read), but here's the last bit:

If you're one of the people who has read one of these negative reviews and thought, "Oh... that's a shame," because you actually quite liked the idea of a city-sized playground in which to jump around and have fun? I'd encourage you to give it a chance. It's a vapid whore that just wants your love, and she doesn't mind if you cheat on her with cleverer games.

Why For?

Banned
Ruffian responds to criticism

I still don't get the issues though.

We all knew:

1) We'd be playing in the same city

2) We'd be collecting orbs

3) We'd get some new weapons and vehicles

4) We'd lose transforming vehicles

5) We'd get freaks and one gang

6) We'd get 4 player co-op and 16 player deathmatch

7) No storyline

Then on top of all that, we got a demo that showed us how it would look and play.

Yet people who have bought the game STILL complain? Logic failure in a massive way.

Mrbob

I do think there is a distinction between calling the game disappointing and thinking it is bad. I don't agree with those who are calling the game trash, because it isn't. I can understand though why people are disappointed with some of the decisions Ruffian made. If the original Crackdown is a 11/10 (in my mind it is!), I'd say Crackdown 2 is 8/10. Still good, but after all these years not as awesome as I wanted it to be (yes yes i know about dev time!).

I'd also like to add the time they spent creating the versus online modes seemed like a waste of time. Those are terrible. Focus more on the co op aspects in Crackdown 3.

cabel

Why For? said:
I still don't get the issues though.

We all knew:

1) We'd be playing in the same city
4) We'd lose transforming vehicles
5) We'd get freaks and one gang
6) We'd get 4 player co-op and 16 player deathmatch
7) No storyline

Not true. With all due respect, as I didn't follow the media coverage of Crackdown 2 (at all), I literally knew none of these things.

I simply bought Crackdown 2 because I loved the original, and I thought it'd be that + even more awesome stuff. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption as a consumer.

As it stands -- and particularly since I don't play online -- it feels like a mighty step backwards.

I'll keep playing though! Give it a fair shake...

goldenpp72

Mrbob said:
I do think there is a distinction between calling the game disappointing and thinking it is bad. I don't agree with those who are calling the game trash, because it isn't. I can understand though why people are disappointed with some of the decisions Ruffian made. If the original Crackdown is a 11/10 (in my mind it is!), I'd say Crackdown 2 is 8/10. Still good, but after all these years not as awesome as I wanted it to be (yes yes i know about dev time!).

I'd also like to add the time they spent creating the versus online modes seemed like a waste of time. Those are terrible. Focus more on the co op aspects in Crackdown 3.

I think the multi is actually pretty fun, I do however agree that the dev time spent on it should have been used elsewhere, but since it's there now, i'd not mind it being added to in a third.

Why For?

Banned
Soldat, your link is saying EXACTLY what I've been saying.

Seriously, I don't know what people were expecting out of this game.

Even IF Ruffian use a brand new engine and get 4 years to make Crackdown 3, guess what? It's just going to be a smoother, better looking version of Crackdown 2 with some new stuff added as well.

Why?

Because it's Crackdown. The focus is fun, fucking around and collecting orbs. That's all it will ever be. Hope it stays that way.

Why For?

Banned
cabel said:
Not true. With all due respect, as I didn't follow the media coverage of Crackdown 2 (at all), I literally knew none of these things.

I simply bought Crackdown 2 because I loved the original, and I thought it'd be that + even more awesome stuff. I don't think that's an unreasonable assumption as a consumer.

As it stands -- and particularly since I don't play online -- it feels like a mighty step backwards.

I'll keep playing though! Give it a fair shake...

ClosingADoor said:
I actually didn't know those two. But I'm still planning on getting the game.

And as I said in an earlier post, when there's SOOOOO much information available to you as a consumer, AND a demo for you to try, then you only have yourselves to blame for the 'disappointment'.

I think the fact that you even expected a story out of Crackdown 2 is the concerning part. Did you get what made Crackdown 1 what it was?

goldenpp72

can someone please tell me what the big deal is with transforming cars? I mean I honestly can't remember, all I remember was a graphical effect and like 3 cars that did nothing different until their final transformation. In crackdown 2, you just get badass cars unlocked instead?

Why For? said:
And as I said in an earlier post, when there's SOOOOO much information available to you as a consumer, AND a demo for you to try, then you only have yourselves to blame for the 'disappointment'.

I think the fact that you even expected a story out of Crackdown 2 is the concerning part. Did you get what made Crackdown 1 what it was?

Yeah, but I thought the zombies would fit into some kind of storyline. But I played the demo for hours and was not dissapointed.

I do think I'll miss the transforming cars. Was always fun to step in and see them change and go faster and do crazier stuff when you leveled up.

Mrbob

Did anyone play Crackdown for the cars? I hardly ever used them, and don't in Crackdown 2 either. Takes too long to get from point to point when I can just jump over a building!

soldat7

goldenpp72 said:
can someone please tell me what the big deal is with transforming cars? I mean I honestly can't remember, all I remember was a graphical effect and like 3 cars that did nothing different until their final transformation. In crackdown 2, you just get badass cars unlocked instead?

It was a neat (and unique) effect, especially when your driving was fully leveled up. I loved just hoping in and out of the different Agency vehicles to watch the 3-4 transitions of increased awesomeness. IMO, the new Agent leveling animation and sound jingle is just as satisfying.

ClosingADoor said:
Yeah, but I thought the zombies would fit into some kind of storyline.

They do. Check out the animated comic vids linked in the OP (nice OP, btw). I wish these were included in the regular game as required viewing.

cabel

Why For? said:

A lot of times I skip media coverage because I like to actually be surprised by games and not know everything about them beforehand. Obviously, that has a dangerous side-effect.

I'm not saying I'm shocked or freaked out by some of your bullet points, I'm just saying that, contrary to what you say, I didn't know about any of them, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Human nature math assumption is that 2 = 1 + More Better, not 2 = 1 - Less.

(And I even downloaded the demo! I'm used to demos giving a taste of a single level or element of a game, so I don't assume it was the full picture, even if it was.)

Why For? said:

I'm not sad there's no story. I assumed it would be more story driven because Crackdown 1 felt like an fun experiment and like they didn't have time for a story. But I didn't mind it in the first game and I don't really mind it now.

I'm more fighting overwhelmingly weird Deja Vu of the identical map. I reclaimed an oil rig last night and the whole time I was thinking "my god, didn't I already do this?", and then reading this thread thread today I learned that I did, in fact, already do this.

soldat7

Mrbob said:
Did anyone play Crackdown for the cars? I hardly ever used them, and don't in Crackdown 2 either. Takes too long to get from point to point when I can just jump over a building!

I loved driving around, I really did. Maybe it was just to see how long it would take to circumnavigate the city and the stungs, or maybe it was the killer soundtrack. I'm sad that there is no mp3 player ala-MGS4/MGS5 to allow you to play music whilst jumping around Pacific City in either Crackdown. The soundtrack in both games is awesome.

cabel said:
I'm not sad there's no story.

There is a story. Sounds like I need to work on creating a story section for the OP.

Zabka

Why For? said:
Because it's Crackdown. The focus is fun, fucking around and collecting orbs. That's all it will ever be. Hope it stays that way.
Is it so bizarre that some people hoped for an improved single player game?

soldat7 said:
There is a story. Sounds like I need to work on creating a story section for the OP.

Yes, but not a real story driven experience. Which was something I thought was going to happen a bit. But I absolutely don't mind it isn't there, since I liked roaming around the city and hunting orbs in Crackdown 1 way too much.

So, only lacking point for me are the transforming vehicles I guess. Can life with that ;)

Why For?

Banned
It's funny that people are now disappointed in the non-transforming cars. Yeah it LOOKED cool, but outside of one or two examples, didn't DO anything.

Then at the same tie, everyone who played the first then said the driving sucked and no one bothered to fully upgrade their driving abilities :lol (I did).

VALIS

Mrbob said:
And implement the Freaks system better. They have not been a threat with my UV Shotgun. I blast through them like fodder.

I think that's the point, though. They're supposed to be half-dead zombie meat that you can mow through in a manner of your choosing. Plowing through streets packed full of freaks in a vehicle is pretty fun, and they're good tools for leveling up. I also like how you can actually clear out an area of hundreds of freaks if you keep at it - no infinite respawn.

It would be cool if the dead ones stayed there instead of disintegrating, but I can't imagine any console game engine that could handle hundreds of dead on screen at once.

Why For? said:
It's funny that people are now disappointed in the non-transforming cars. Yeah it LOOKED cool, but outside of one or two examples, didn't DO anything.

Then at the same tie, everyone who played the first then said the driving sucked and no one bothered to fully upgrade their driving abilities :lol (I did).

Driving was awesome. I just drove in circles over that highway with the supercar and SUV. Jumping around in the SUV was also tons of fun. And of course the truck, with everything you touched exploding. Definitly some reasons to upgrade those driving skills.

dolemite

This is certainly one of the better Amazon deals.
The game was $49.99 with another $10 credit, a download code, an MP3 Amazon credit (hello, Fame Monster:D ), and a free delivery that took two days.

Now it's time to do some mindless mayhem.

Why For?

Banned
Zabka said:
Is it so bizarre that some people hoped for an improved single player game?

How isn't it improved?

You have a different mission structure (for better or worse depending on opinon), new weapons, new enemies, an actual USE for the day/night cycle, new vehicles, more streamlined access (no more treks back to agency for new vehicles), more strategy to completing missions (you have to TAKE supply points now, not just find them), new orbs, audio logs that actually TRY to add story.

Not sure what more people would want while still keeping the spirit of what makes Crackdown what it is.

soldat7

Why For? said:

Transforming vehicles and the smokey contrails from explosions were part of the design language from the original game that, while seemingly insignificant, help to define the overall experience. I think people, myself included, were hoping for more of these types of things (we did get a better leveling-up animation and jingle); they may seem insignificant, but they almost serve as little treats to the player, similar to the satisfying hopping sound or coin acquisition in a Mario game. You take those little things away and people notice.

goldenpp72

soldat7 said:
Transforming vehicles and the smokey contrails from explosions were part of the design language from the original game that, while seemingly insignificant, help to define the overall experience. I think people, myself included, were hoping for more of these types of things (we did get a better leveling-up animation and jingle); they may seem insignificant, but they almost serve as little treats to the player, similar to the satisfying hopping sound or coin acquisition in a Mario game.

Well, how about the helicopter? The helicopter aesthetic is awesome and very smooth, it looks like a bug folding it's arms in :)

And the duck grenades are fun :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
soldat7 said:
Transforming vehicles and the smokey contrails from explosions were part of the design language from the original game that, while seemingly insignificant, help to define the overall experience. I think people, myself included, were hoping for more of these types of things (we did get a better leveling-up animation and jingle); they may seem insignificant, but they almost serve as little treats to the player, similar to the satisfying hopping sound or coin acquisition in a Mario game. You take those little things away and people notice.
I'd settle for vehicles that weren't completely worthless for 90% of the game, which was the case for me in the original Crackdown.

soldat7

goldenpp72 said:
Well, how about the helicopter? The helicopter aesthetic is awesome and very smooth, it looks like a bug folding it's arms in :)

And the duck grenades are fun :)

I don't have those things yet, but now I'm more excited for them. :lol

goldenpp72

soldat7 said:
I don't have those things yet :lol

The choppers are available at the agency all the time, and duck nades are easy to get, go to facebook and link your tag up if you don't and then play chuck duck 2 or whatever, prepare for amazingness :)

Why For?

Banned
soldat7 said:

I get what you're saying, but reading a lot of the dev interviews and such and I can see why it was cut.

I'm betting Crackdown 3 with a new engine will combine elements from both games, while also adding more and giving us better smoother visuals.

Which would be perfection.

soldat7

goldenpp72 said:
The choppers are available at the agency all the time, and duck nades are easy to get, come on now :p

I tooled around the agency tower for a bit, so I guess I have to explore a bit more. And I thought I had to use facebook (which I refuse to join) to get the duck nades? Maybe I can convince my wife to use her account. lol

goldenpp72

Why For? said:
I get what you're saying, but reading a lot of the dev interviews and such and I can see why it was cut.

I'm betting Crackdown 3 with a new engine will combine elements from both games, while also adding more and giving us better smoother visuals.

Which would be perfection.

Well my concern now is, will we get a cd3 this gen, even if this one does sell? 2 years probably isn't enough, so you'd be looking at a 2013 title.. doesn't look good to me.

goldenpp72

soldat7 said:
I tooled around the agency tower for a bit, so I guess I have to explore a bit more. And I thought I had to use facebook (which I refuse to join) to get the duck nades? Maybe I can convince my wife to use her account. lol

Im not sure if you need to use facebook to get them forever, I know they can be selected from your weapons cache so maybe you only need to do it once.

Plus no harm in joining facebook, i don't use it for anything but I still have an account for things like this.

Zabka

Why For? said:
How isn't it improved?

You have a different mission structure (for better or worse depending on opinon), new weapons, new enemies, an actual USE for the day/night cycle, new vehicles, more streamlined access (no more treks back to agency for new vehicles), more strategy to completing missions (you have to TAKE supply points now, not just find them), new orbs, audio logs that actually TRY to add story.

Not sure what more people would want while still keeping the spirit of what makes Crackdown what it is.
The mission structure is worse for me. Way worse. The same goes for the style of the graphics. The zombies don't really add anything to make the game more fun. If I felt like mowing down dozens of people I could just drive on the sidewalk. The melee combat in the first was pretty lame, but this just feels sloppy.

Don't really care about transforming cars. They were useless before the top level anyway. Once I got the roadster I never touched the Batmobile again.

Why For?

Banned
Zabka said:
The mission structure is worse for me. Way worse. The same goes for the style of the graphics. The zombies don't really add anything to make the game more fun. If I felt like mowing down dozens of people I could just drive on the sidewalk. The melee combat in the first was pretty lame, but this just feels sloppy.

Don't really care about transforming cars. They were useless before the top level anyway. Once I got the roadster I never touched the Batmobile again.

Not sure what to say.

The only ting I can gather on this game is expectation.

People's expectations were the problem more so than the game itself. I got pretty much EXACTLY what I expected, not only from knowing the premise of the IP, but from all the media that's been provided on the game. Then of course, the demo.

I got exactly what I expected, (and 95% of what I wanted), so I guess that explains why I'm happy with it.

Mairu

soldat7 said:
Duck grenades are at the carnival

Why For?

Banned
Mairu said:
Duck grenades are at the carnival

I foudn some in the toilet undergroud through the chimney next to Agency Tower.

Does anyone have that achievement? Leaping down the chimney from Agency Tower and surviving? When I use the glide i survive, but don't get the achievement, but when I DON'T use the glide, I always die when I land in the toilet.

Top Bottom