• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Is it possible to grab the Hope Tower stronghold without a helicopter?

There's only like 10-15 guys on the ground, and the rest are way up in the tower. I quickly tried it with a helicopter, but as soon as I got out to kill the guys on the ground, my helicopter got obliterated. :(

Plasma

Banned
cjelly said:
Is it possible to grab the Hope Tower stronghold without a helicopter?

There's only like 10-15 guys on the ground, and the rest are way up in the tower. I quickly tried it with a helicopter, but as soon as I got out to kill the guys on the ground, my helicopter got obliterated. :(

I climbed up one of the buildings to the side and got up that way, I kept getting the warning to get back to the capture point but I must have done it quick enough so that it didn't cancel the mission.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Plasma said:
I climbed up one of the buildings to the side and got up that way, I kept getting the warning to get back to the capture point but I must have done it quick enough so that it didn't cancel the mission.
Hmm, do you know which side? I can't seem to find anywhere to get up (I'm level 5 agility).

S1kkZ

cjelly said:
Hmm, do you know which side? I can't seem to find anywhere to get up (I'm level 5 agility).
right side (if you stand at the plaza and look at the hope tower). work your way up on the white "stripes" at the outer wall. hope tower is awesome, it "replaces" the agency tower. i managed to get to the top without the helicopter.

suaveric

S1kkZ said:
right side (if you stand at the plaza and look at the hope tower). work your way up on the white "stripes" at the outer wall. hope tower is awesome, it "replaces" the agency tower. i managed to get to the top without the helicopter.

Are those white stripes on Hope Tower? I was climbing those, they seemed to be the right way up, but I go stuck just before I reached the platform with all the guys. It took me 10 minutes to get that far and that sucked to get stuck there.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I got up there eventually and managed to grab the stronghold.

Only have 3/4 stronghold's left now. They start getting really, really hard. The first 10 or so were an absolute cake walk and I though 'Oh, so these are just like the boss battles in CD1, then' :lol

When you start getting to the last few, they throw in those huge-ass machine gunners, turrets, homing rockets... the works. I quickly tried going in to two of the strongholds and was dead within seconds. This is only on Tough! :lol Think I will kill some of the bigger guys, then activate the point so I don't lose it by straying too far in search of cover. :D

Marvie_3

Banned
cjelly said:
I got up there eventually and managed to grab the stronghold.

Only have 3/4 stronghold's left now. They start getting really, really hard. The first 10 or so were an absolute cake walk and I though 'Oh, so these are just like the boss battles in CD1, then' :lol

When you start getting to the last few, they throw in those huge-ass machine gunners, turrets, homing rockets... the works. I quickly tried going in to two of the strongholds and was dead within seconds. This is only on Tough! :lol Think I will kill some of the bigger guys, then activate the point so I don't lose it by straying too far in search of cover. :D
I fucking HATE the homing rockets. :lol

Aaron

Multiple snipers on different rooftops covering all angles are kind of a bitch too. Playing on sadist really lives up to that name, but damn is it fun.

Plasma

Banned
Marvie_3 said:
I fucking HATE the homing rockets. :lol

Yes they really wound me up while I was trying to take out the strongholds, especially when I thought I'd cleared them all out then one runs out of a door somewhere and shoots me in the arse.

suaveric said:
Credit, like $10 off of a future game purchase? There was supposed to be. I haven't received mine yet, which is very weird for Amazon, as they're usually right on top of handing out their credits. I sent them an email about it yesterday and haven't heard back yet (which is also a little odd for Amazon).

Yes. Same thing happened to me. This is first time I've not received credit yet. May be I should contact customer service too.

Circle T

The races, both rooftop and road, are AWESOME in this game. It is really great how they have a "Timeout" limit, but it doesn't show you. I love thinking I'm going to finish the race, only to have the game unexpectedly pop up and tell me that I'm out of time. It's GREAT!! I love this!!!

[/sarcasm] [/rant]

>:[

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Circle T said:
The races, both rooftop and road, are AWESOME in this game. It is really great how they have a "Timeout" limit, but it doesn't show you. I love thinking I'm going to finish the race, only to have the game unexpectedly pop up and tell me that I'm out of time. It's GREAT!! I love this!!!

[/sarcasm] [/rant]

I have horribly messed up many races yet still finished them, it seems pretty lenient. Some of the final rooftop races are pretty crazy, I love them.

Circle T

Papercuts said:
I have horribly messed up many races yet still finished them, it seems pretty lenient.
I'm not worried about the leniency. It's the fact that when I finish one, I don't know if I made it by 30 seconds, or if I barely beat the clock. A simple countdown would suffice. Or just show the time you need to beat at the start. Something, anything. Just popping up a notice on screen saying I failed, but not showing the time I was expected to beat seems like a pretty simple thing that was clearly overlooked.

[PS - After working at it this afternoon, I have now completed all of the rooftop and road races. But my frustration still remains.]

TheFallen

Circle T said:

[/sarcasm] [/rant]

You must be taking your sweet time there. I can get orbs while doing the races and STILL have time.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think it would help more if they just had an instant restart, though it is weird to have a time limit without displaying it. I've only completed one wingsuit ring and those are a BITCH to get up to, and very easy to fail. Probably my biggest issue with the game overall...let my retry them dammit!

I'm having a problem with a Cell Stronghold Tactical Location, maybe one of you can help me. I activate the marker and the narrator tells me to clear out the cell. I kill a few of them, get the counter down to the hallway mark, and even though tons of them are still showing on my minimap there are none in the immediate area. I can't move 20 feet away from the marker before the narrator starts warning me about aborting the mission. So, I figure they must be on top of the building (this is in the Shai-Gen district). When I try to climb it, however, I get the same warning, and there's nowhere for me to climb within the marker zone. So I can't move away from the marker to maybe try to snipe, and I can't climb the building. What the hell am I supposed to do? I can't tell if I've hit a glitch, or what. I've aborted it and restarted it so many times that I'm just about to wash my hands of the game entirely. I haven't been having that much fun with it anyway, to be honest.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't read the above answer. After all the straightforward stronghold attacks, throwing that spin in there towards the end is some pretty bullshit game trickery.

Circle T

TheFallen said:
You must be taking your sweet time there. I can get orbs while doing the races and STILL have time.
You're missing my point. I don't care how hard or not they are. I'm just bummed that the game gives you no notification of what times you are expected to beat.
Papercuts said:
I think it would help more if they just had an instant restart, though it is weird to have a time limit without displaying it. I've only completed one wingsuit ring and those are a BITCH to get up to, and very easy to fail. Probably my biggest issue with the game overall...let my retry them dammit!
Yea, those are pretty rough. I ended up doing them with a friend. One of us would fly chopper and pick the other up after they attempted a ring. Made it much easier, but obviously not possible solo.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Eel O'Brian said:
I'm having a problem with a Cell Stronghold Tactical Location, maybe one of you can help me. I activate the marker and the narrator tells me to clear out the cell. I kill a few of them, get the counter down to the hallway mark, and even though tons of them are still showing on my minimap there are none in the immediate area. I can't move 20 feet away from the marker before the narrator starts warning me about aborting the mission. So, I figure they must be on top of the building (this is in the Shai-Gen district). When I try to climb it, however, I get the same warning, and there's nowhere for me to climb within the marker zone. So I can't move away from the marker to maybe try to snipe, and I can't climb the building. What the hell am I supposed to do? I can't tell if I've hit a glitch, or what. I've aborted it and restarted it so many times that I'm just about to wash my hands of the game entirely. I haven't been having that much fun with it anyway, to be honest.
Sounds like Hope Tower. :lol

Clear the guys at the bottom, then get as high as you can on the red (?) building to your left as you look at the skyscraper. When you reach the top of that building, there's an opening on to Hope Tower where some more of the Cell are. You'll then need to get higher still, but you can do that from within that area.

Do you have to be 5th level agility or something? I tried the suggestions but I can't make it up the "white space" indentions on the side of the building after climbing the red brick building. The spaces between them are too far for me to reach. I'm at 4th level agility.

FoeHammer

I've played a shit load of Crackdown 2 for the last couple of days and the magic is definitely there. I wish this would have come out a year after the main game maybe as an expansion pack or spinoff because at times it definitely feels a little too familiar. That being said, it is just as much fun as I remember (especially in co-op).

I think if Ruffian is given a bit more time with the next one it could be even better than the first. They seem to know what makes Crackdown so addictive.

GhaleonEB

cjelly said:
Sounds like Hope Tower. :lol

Clear the guys at the bottom, then get as high as you can on the red (?) building to your left as you look at the skyscraper. When you reach the top of that building, there's an opening on to Hope Tower where some more of the Cell are. You'll then need to get higher still, but you can do that from within that area.
Heh. I was up until 2am this morning working that damn building. I didn't know you could jump to it from another, so I found an absurdly convoluted way to climb up it. It took forever to wind my way around the building clinging to outcroppings, only to get toasted at the top by rockets. I think I cleared it on my 5th attempt. My hands haven't been that sweaty since the first time I climbed the Agency Tower in the first game. :lol

Naturally, I kept climbing up from there, and got all the way up to the big red spire at the top, but there was nothing up there for me (other than a moving agility orb too high for me to snag; I'm assuming you need a chopper to get it.) It was sadly anti-climactic. One hell of a view, though.

Yeah, I can't figure it out. I've gone from frustration to genuine dislike for the game at what appears to be a gigantic waste of my time. I'm gonna give it a couple more tries to see if there's any little thing I might be missing and then I think I'm done with it for good.

homez99

Eel O'Brian said:
Yeah, I can't figure it out. I've gone from frustration to genuine dislike for the game at what appears to be a gigantic waste of my time. I'm gonna give it a couple more tries to see if there's any little thing I might be missing and then I think I'm done with it for good.

What's your gamertag? I'm sure one of us with access to a chopper can come and help (other agents can jump on the side of them and ride along).

Aaron

godhandiscen said:
I love this game. A worthy successor to the first one IMO.
I wish the missions were more diverse and the multiplayer wasn't total shit. Everything else, from the core gameplay, to the weapons, to the changes to the city, I love. Just dicking around, only to see hundreds of glimmers in the far distance like pale ants... to find they're a massive freak horde just waiting for a few cluster grenades is damn amazing. The draw distance in this game defies belief.

godhandiscen said:
I love this game. A worthy successor to the first one IMO.
Agreed. After pulling the trigger on this, expecting the worst, I found myself playing for 5 hours straight without a second thought. Yeah, this is Crackdown alright :) Only more, and more intense.

And while it is technically the same city, a lot of it does feel very different, so its new enough for me now. I also think the ledge grabbing is more forgiving than the demo as I'm not missing nearly as many as in my demo playthroughs. GhaleonEB is right on the money, as usual, on game design complaints, but the simplicity of the missions isn't necessarily a game breaker when you're co-oping.

It does feels like an expansion pack, but its got enough small changes overall to be worth it for hardened Crackdown players. I just wish they started you off with something besides close range weaponry (shotgun + smg) - starting off as a fresh agent on psychotic was a painful experience there for a good while. The bad guys just do not know how to miss, and you can watch your armor get wiped out in a heartbeat. And I do miss the transforming cars and enemies that weren't on full aggro at all times, but I'm adapting. Now if only they'd patch the aiming again - it shouldn't give priority to vehicles over people, and should be easier to hit explosive barrels and the like at range.

Looking forward to some co-op madness with buddies soon enough. Good times.

homez99 said:
What's your gamertag? I'm sure one of us with access to a chopper can come and help (other agents can jump on the side of them and ride along).

Thanks, but a friend already helped me. Turns out I was wasting my time all along. You'd think since the narrator guy won't shut his fucking mouth for two seconds that he'd occasionally impart some useful information, like, say, "You can't reach this Cell Stronghold until your agility is level 5." Especially since I hadn't encountered such a requirement with a single one of the others.

Eel O'Brian said:
Thanks, but a friend already helped me. Turns out I was wasting my time all along. You'd think since the narrator guy won't shut his fucking mouth for two seconds that he'd occasionally impart some useful information, like, say, "You can't reach this Cell Stronghold until your agility is level 5." Especially since I hadn't encountered such a requirement with a single one of the others.

That isnt true. I beat all the strong holds in the game before I got my agility up to 5. If you are talking about Hope Tower there is a building next to it, that is light blue, the top couple floors are blown up and you can just from the one second to the top and just barely grab the open level halfway up Hope Tower. No need for level 5 agility at all.

Haha, as soon as I posted that I knew someone was going to come in and say they did it at level 4. You're much more patient and observant than I. Still (to me, anyway), the path up seemed needlessly unclear and frustrating, although I'm sure they thought it was plenty clever while designing it. Just comes off like a nasty trick, especially considering all the other strongholds were fairly straight forward and mostly on level planes. Really soured my enjoyment, and I ended up giving myself a headache over it :lol

I agree that it was crazy frustrating. I probably spent an hour trying to jump from different buildings before I found something that worked.

Love this game. Can't say I feel it's a bad thing that the city is the same. Barely feels like it most of the time.

Two minor complaints though. I hate that the achievements you've achieved end up at the top of the list in your achievement progress menu. They aren't relevant anymore. I don't want to scroll through all those before reaching the ones I actually care about looking at.

And the second thing is that it really sucks that you can't see right away which races you've done. Unless I'm missing something. I'm standing on it and I can't see my previous time anywhere. Pretty shitty to start a race just to realize half way through that you've already done it.

I've only played for about 4-5 hours, but those are two pretty annoying things so far.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just saw that there was the colored armor pre-order bonuses.. ahh I want green so bad :(

GhaleonEB

yankeehater said:
I agree that it was crazy frustrating. I probably spent an hour trying to jump from different buildings before I found something that worked.
Yeah, it was a weird twist. I wish they'd given some clue they were up in the building to begin with.

I'm definitely in a love-hate relationship with this game. I guess the short version is, when I'm doing many of the mission tasks, all Crackdown's shortcomings are emphasized and I hate it. And when I'm free roaming across rooftops or engaged in heavy mid to long range combat, it's glorious and one of the best games this gen. I'll post a more comprehensive set of thoughts when I'm done with the main mission. Right now I've got all the strategic locations, all the energy beams activated, half the freak breaches sealed and 7/9 of the beacons active. I'm wrapping up the freak breaches by night, orb hunting by day, which works out to a pretty good mix of gameplay.

One emerging issue I have: as I got more and more capable firepower - I have access to everything now - there were fewer and fewer enemies, as I locked down more and more territories. I finally got level 5 firearms and the ultra sniper rifle, and it took me five minutes to find some Cell dudes to try it out on. I'm hoping the place gets repopulated a bit after the game ends.

goldenpp72

Having a ball still, I will say trying to tie up the freak breaches now is a bit frustrating since it only works at night, I just got my last achievement involving kills stuff so I figured i should do those next.

any date set for the dlc?

GhaleonEB

Marvie_3 said:
I orb hunt at night. Way easier to see them. :D
I would orb hunt at night, but that's the only time I can seal the freak breaches. Once I'm done with the main quest, I'm sure that will be my preferred hunting time as well. :D

A question, and (another) lament.

Question: once I've set the nine main beacons, do I get locked into an endgame sequence or can I still roam free? I want to seal all the remaining freak breaches before beating the main quest.

Lament: I really wish Ruffian had fixed the rag doll drop when you get struck. Once I get hit by one of those big rushing dudes, I'm dead, regardless of how much health I have. Without exaggerating, I've been struck by one of them while having full or near full health - a shield and five health bars - and been juggled to death before I can stand up well over 40 times by now. Nearly every single one of them while setting a beacon.

I'm lamenting this right now partly to take a break: I'm setting one in the northern area just outside of that giant tower being discussed above. It's structured thus: drop into a shallow, open pit with cars and shopping carts. Wait for the beacon to drop and activate. Then one of those giant 50-food dudes rushes the beacon, along with two of the mid-sized hulking rushing dudes. If I get hit by one of the two rushers, I die. If I take them out, I toss all seven UV grenades on the giant guy to kill him.

After that, another pair of the hulking rushers rises up about every 20 seconds. If one of them hits me, ever, I die, regardless of heath, due to the rag doll juggling issue. It's a not-so-instant instant kill. Also, sometimes some UV grenades spawn so I can take out the second giant 50-foot dude quickly, sometimes the don't. If they don't, I have to use rockets. That takes a while, which means while I'm shooting at him, I get blindsided by one of the rushing dudes and killed. I'm up to about 10 deaths right now on this one beacon, all tonight, all due to the rushing dudes, and all hit me when I was at nearly full heath. (I should note that I'm playing on Psychotic difficulty.)

This is where I make my obligatory comment about how utterly broken and un-fun the beacon sections are. I remain baffled this made it through to the shipping game.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
My first crackdown played ... Wow this shit is addicting, at first glance it seems like a crappy game in all honesty til I got a sense of the scope of the game, I'll have to pick this baby up this week, see you rat bastards online. (loved the demo)

Marvie_3

Banned
Gouty said:
They should sell the ability to track orbs on your radar as DLC. They would make hella cash.
I'd totally buy this for CD1. The fact that I'm stuck on 499 orbs is killing me a bit more now that I got all 500 in CD2. :lol

Top Bottom