• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 2 |OT| of Orbs, Freaks, and Exploding Pedestrians

"Agent, go clear out Cell Strongholds."
*clears out one, goes running toward one*
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING AGENT, LEAVING PEACEKEEPERS ALONE. CELL WILL TAKE THINGS BACK OVER, (bla bla bla)"
*runs back, finds another one to run toward to*
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING AGENT,"
*figures out the one particular one the game wants, tries it, hears the announcer tell me about Online orbs for the billionth time because I came near one, dies pretty quickly to crossfire*
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING AGENT,"

GhaleonEB said:
I would orb hunt at night, but that's the only time I can seal the freak breaches. Once I'm done with the main quest, I'm sure that will be my preferred hunting time as well. :D

A question, and (another) lament.

Question: once I've set the nine main beacons, do I get locked into an endgame sequence or can I still roam free? I want to seal all the remaining freak breaches before beating the main quest.

Lament: I really wish Ruffian had fixed the rag doll drop when you get struck. Once I get hit by one of those big rushing dudes, I'm dead, regardless of how much health I have. Without exaggerating, I've been struck by one of them while having full or near full health - a shield and five health bars - and been juggled to death before I can stand up well over 40 times by now. Nearly every single one of them while setting a beacon.

I'm lamenting this right now partly to take a break: I'm setting one in the northern area just outside of that giant tower being discussed above. It's structured thus: drop into a shallow, open pit with cars and shopping carts. Wait for the beacon to drop and activate. Then one of those giant 50-food dudes rushes the beacon, along with two of the mid-sized hulking rushing dudes. If I get hit by one of the two rushers, I die. If I take them out, I toss all seven UV grenades on the giant guy to kill him.

After that, another pair of the hulking rushers rises up about every 20 seconds. If one of them hits me, ever, I die, regardless of heath, due to the rag doll juggling issue. It's a not-so-instant instant kill. Also, sometimes some UV grenades spawn so I can take out the second giant 50-foot dude quickly, sometimes the don't. If they don't, I have to use rockets. That takes a while, which means while I'm shooting at him, I get blindsided by one of the rushing dudes and killed. I'm up to about 10 deaths right now on this one beacon, all tonight, all due to the rushing dudes, and all hit me when I was at nearly full heath. (I should note that I'm playing on Psychotic difficulty.)

This is where I make my obligatory comment about how utterly broken and un-fun the beacon sections are. I remain baffled this made it through to the shipping game.

You can roam and do stuff even after setting the ninth beacon. Also try mashing the jump button when one of the giant freaks knocks you down. I died the first couple times them knocked me down, but then I figured out you can jump out of it.

Mrbob

GhaleonEB said:
I really wish Ruffian had fixed the rag doll drop when you get struck. Once I get hit by one of those big rushing dudes, I'm dead, regardless of how much health I have. Without exaggerating, I've been struck by one of them while having full or near full health - a shield and five health bars - and been juggled to death before I can stand up well over 40 times by now. Nearly every single one of them while setting a beacon.

The rag doll physics can be annoying. You can also get rocket or grenade spammed too which is just frustrating. Nothing you can do but sit there and take the rockets while you flop helplessly on the ground. Breaks the immersion of being a super agent.

mujun

I'm having a lot of fun with this.

Not saying it's a ten out of ten or anything (more like 8 on my scale) and it certainly has it's flaws and frustrating points but it's just as fun as I remember and I like the new elements/systems.

Jumping - Amazing as always and can't be touched by traversal in Infamous or Prototype for me. No other game offers the feeling of vertigo that this game does. I love the way my stomach leaps and then drops in harmony with the way my agent does.

Orbs - Addictive. Leveling up is just as fun as in the first game.

Weapons - Even more than in the first game, look forward to trying out the ultra assault rifle for example.

Freaks - Don't get the complaints, they are the perfect fodder for driving, strength and shooting orb grinding.

I'd definitely like to see a more significant upgrade in the next game and think that a lower price tag would have done this game wonders but still am having a blast and don't regret paying full price for it.

GhaleonEB

yankeehater said:
You can roam and do stuff even after setting the ninth beacon. Also try mashing the jump button when one of the giant freaks knocks you down. I died the first couple times them knocked me down, but then I figured out you can jump out of it.
Thanks, I'll knock off the last beacon in the morning. And yeah, I try to get up fast, but it just doesn't happen; they do enough damage to kill in a couple of hits.

And just after I got on an extended rant, the game goes and shows me why I love it so.

I run into this guy playing acoustic guitar for a small crowd under a bridge at night. It's a good song, too. I hope up next to him and listen to it for a minute. The crowd is clapping along with it. It's a lovely scene, people seeing out some kind of entertainment to distract them from the horrors of the city. Then I drop a level 5 cluster grenade into the crowd. They scatter, and the guy playing guitar drops it a tries to dive out of the way. One of them shrieks, "Why us?!" right before it blows. Made my night. (Incidentally, another moment that made me wish the game had saved films and screenshot capability. Oh the epic that could be captured.)

Later: I toast some Cell dude in their stronghold at oil refinery, and while he's burning he screams, "I smell like chicken! Like chicken!" *dies*

I somehow missed the entire oil refinery section until now. It's delightful, had quite the epic shootout.

How do I activate the wing suit? I'm level 5 everything.

goldenpp72

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks, I'll knock off the last beacon in the morning. And yeah, I try to get up fast, but it just doesn't happen; they do enough damage to kill in a couple of hits.

And just after I got on an extended rant, the game goes and shows me why I love it so.

I run into this guy playing acoustic guitar for a small crowd under a bridge at night. It's a good song, too. I hope up next to him and listen to it for a minute. The crowd is clapping along with it. It's a lovely scene, people seeing out some kind of entertainment to distract them from the horrors of the city. Then I drop a level 5 cluster grenade into the crowd. They scatter, and the guy playing guitar drops it a tries to dive out of the way. One of them shrieks, "Why us?!" right before it blows. Made my night. (Incidentally, another moment that made me wish the game had saved films and screenshot capability. Oh the epic that could be captured.)

Later: I toast some Cell dude in their stronghold at oil refinery, and while he's burning he screams, "I smell like chicken! Like chicken!" *dies*

I somehow missed the entire oil refinery section until now. It's delightful.

How do I activate the wing suit?

Hit Y, if you ever played mario world it's similar, you have to be fairly high to use it.

I just closed my last freak breach, does that mean there will be no more freaks?

GhaleonEB

goldenpp72 said:
Hit Y, if you ever played mario world it's similar, you have to be fairly high to use it.
Thanks. I just fell from the very top of the Agency tower trying to grab one of the last orbs, and found myself wishing I knew how to use at as I plunged to my death. :lol

goldenpp72

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks. I just fell from the very top of the Agency tower trying to grab one of the last orbs, and found myself wishing I knew how to use at as I plunged to my death. :lol

It's a magnificent device once you get the hang of it, my only complaint is it has little use in any place that isn't really high, but I just did the 4 people gliding the whole airspace at the same time achievement and it was funny :)

Quick tutorial, hit Y, plunge down, when the trails turn red pull up and stay up, then go back down and when it turns red, repeat. There is also a trick of sorts where if you pull up right when it flashes instead of when red, it will actually give you more airspace, essentially, it's possible to stay in there air as long as you'd ever want to given practice.

Make sure to do the wing challenges, i've done 5 so far :)

Marvie_3

Banned
Mrbob said:
The rag doll physics can be annoying. You can also get rocket or grenade spammed too which is just frustrating. Nothing you can do but sit there and take the rockets while you flop helplessly on the ground. Breaks the immersion of being a super agent.
Yeah, like when I'm shooting you, right? ;)

Why For?

Banned
I have 17 freak breaches left to close, but I'm up to the last bit of Project Sunburst.

If I finish PS, do I then NOT get to close the freak breaches?

Are the freaks gone forever so I can't level up my shit?

Mairu

The freaks go away forever (not sure about the breaches bit, I did those before sunburst) but you can always start a new campaign and your stats/orbs carry over

homez99

Mairu said:
The freaks go away forever (not sure about the breaches bit, I did those before sunburst) but you can always start a new campaign and your stats/orbs carry over

Odd, I've completed the game (including all the breaches) and the Freaks are still about for me. There isn't as much of them but they're definitely knocking about everywhere come night time. I did the breaches after Sunburst, maybe that makes a difference.

Mairu

I did the breaches before and after I did sunburst everything was completely clear. I wanted to level up driving but there was nothing out at night

Maaseru

Banned
I'm HOOKED!!! haha but I ain't got no friends with the game so hit me up whenever to try the co-op mode , pupupuplease!!!

My tag is: MaRceL SaN

Shurs

mujun said:
Freaks - Don't get the complaints, they are the perfect fodder for driving, strength and shooting orb grinding.

I agree about the Freaks, they're certainly not an offensive addition. I think my disappointment in the Freaks is just that, they were touted as a big new addition to the series but they ended up neither a positive or a negative. They're just there, on the street, waiting to be mowed down. They don't present much of a threat. They're not particularly fun to fight.

derFeef

Shurs said:
I agree about the Freaks, they're certainly not an offensive addition. I think my disappointment in the Freaks is just that, they were touted as a big new addition to the series but they ended up neither a positive or a negative. They're just there, on the street, waiting to be mowed down. They don't present much of a threat. They're not particularly fun to fight.
Yep. But they could have at least made the bigger freaks or the reaper ones a bit more menacing.

mujun

Shurs said:

I like the ones that follow you up to the roof but you are right, it's night like they are a big plus to the enemy selection in the game.

Mrbob

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, like when I'm shooting you, right? ;)

Lol, I'm hunting for an orb and all of a sudden I get hit by a rocket and knocked off a tall building! Good thing I had my wing suit ability allowed a tech recovery to glide to the ground before the very end.

Double D

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah it is. Took me a bit to get the hang of it but now I love it. :D

I haven't really figured out how to use it effectively, so I've kind of written it off as being shitty. Any tips? It's one of the things I was really looking forward to so the game became kind of a bummer after I got it and couldn't really do anything cool with it.

goldenpp72

Vik_Vaughn said:
I haven't really figured out how to use it effectively, so I've kind of written it off as being shitty. Any tips? It's one of the things I was really looking forward to so the game became kind of a bummer after I got it and couldn't really do anything cool with it.

Don't suck? holding up and then down isn't hard, try practicing it after jumping out of a helicopter to learn.

Edit: Also, freaks are in my game even though I have sealed ever breach and beat the whole campaign.

Shurs

Vik_Vaughn said:

Jump from a high place and activate the wing suit, guide your Agent directly downward until the streams coming from the suit turn from blue to red, then pull up and repeat. You can float across the sky for quite awhile depending on how high up you jump from.

goldenpp72 said:
Also, freaks are in my game even though I have sealed ever breach and beat the whole campaign.

It's like that for everyone. If it wasn't, then the game would just end. That would be horrible.

goldenpp72

Vik_Vaughn said:
What do I have to do to get the helicopter? Driving Skills?

No, level 5 agility allows you to reach the helipad in the agency tower.

Shurs said:
Jump from a high place and activate the wing suit, guide your Agent directly downward until the streams coming from the suit turn from blue to red, then pull up and repeat. You can float across the sky for quite awhile depending on how high up you jump from.

It's like that for everyone. If it wasn't, then the game would just end. That would be horrible.

Why? I have everything I needed to kill achievement wise done, so all they do is get in the way :p

I don't mind though, but it would be nice to be able to do a bare run like in cd1.

Shurs

goldenpp72 said:
No, level 5 agility allows you to reach the helipad in the agency tower.

Why? I have everything I needed to kill achievement wise done, so all they do is get in the way :p

I don't mind though, but it would be nice to be able to do a bare run like in cd1.

You did see the final cutscene, correct?

ShapeGSX

The draw distance in this game is insane. My picture is taken on top of the lighthouse after conquering the Cell there (took 3 tries). Taking a picture of an RPTV is difficult, though. A lot of the bright areas got over exposed. There's a lot more detail than you can see in the pic. That tower on the left is HUGE!

4784022754_ece727c91d_z.jpg

Shurs

goldenpp72 said:
I think so? Feel free to explain in a spoiler tag or something.

Your Agent was chopped to pieces by the helicopter blade, providing the need to (post-credits) throw you back into the game world with the final mission (which you've already completed) still intact. This is why there are still Freaks in your game world.

desertdroog

gt: cactusspines

This game is all the love of CD1 but in a different way. Time just slips away when playing and I contend that the only way to play this is in coop, just like Borderlands.

Edit: Green Armor is the best!

goldenpp72

Shurs said:
Your Agent was chopped to pieces by the helicopter blade, providing the need to (post-credits) throw you back into the game world with the final mission (which you've already completed) still intact. This is why there are still Freaks in your game world.

So clone him, agents have within the realms of the story been cloned every time you kill yourself to spawn..

Shurs

goldenpp72 said:
So clone him, agents have within the realms of the story been cloned every time you kill yourself to spawn..

You're right. Though I guess it doesn't bother me because I like the action.

I love this game, but it doesn't seem like anyone else on my friends list does. Damn shame if this game has bombed, because I really want Ruffian to make a Crackdown 3.

goldenpp72

AndyMoogle said:
I love this game, but it doesn't seem like anyone else on my friends list does. Damn shame if this game has bombed, because I really want Ruffian to make a Crackdown 3.

none of the leaderboards are over 100k yet, then again, none of the leaderboards I notice go by campaign or co op so who knows..

i really hope they release a patch that helps with performance issues. the slowdown can get really intense to the point that it hurts gameplay.

goldenpp72

WickedLaharl said:
i really hope they release a patch that helps with performance issues. the slowdown can get really intense to the point that it hurts gameplay.

It's interesting, i'm pretty sensitive to framerate but only notice a big spike when doing the big killathons. I'd be all for cleaning it up if possible though.

Yesterday a helicopter glitched out causing the framerate to hit like 5 fps, once we blew it up it was fine though, heh.

JambiBum

goldenpp72 said:
It's interesting, i'm pretty sensitive to framerate but only notice a bit spike when doing the big killathons. I'd be all for cleaning it up if possible though.

Yesterday a helicopter glitched out causing the framerate to hit like 5 fps, once we blew it up it was fine though, heh.

Friends and I had something happen to us in the demo where for some reason a ton of weapons and grenades were spawning in the same spot. Eventually made the game crawl to like 2 fps. Once they finally disappeared everything went back to normal though. Haven't really had a problem with the full game.

GhaleonEB

Hands-down the most badly designed and most frustrating endgame sequence I've played in many years. Poor player instruction and UI, confusing and repetitive environment, and a full reset (complete with identical dialog) for each failure, even if the first few stages were completed successfully. (Which is to say, no save state.) I keep thinking the game can't get worse, and it does.

RedSwirl

I've barely played any Crackdown ever. Should I get Crackdown 1 or Crackdown 2.

I’ve only played the original Crackdown demo and thought it was a lot of fun, but I heard the sequel wasn’t that great. Is it “not that great” because it doesn’t improve very much over the first game but is still technically a better game, or is it just flat-out worse than the original Crackdown?

goldenpp72

GhaleonEB said:
Hands-down the most badly designed and most frustrating endgame sequence I've played in many years. Poor player instruction and UI, confusing and repetitive environment, and a full reset (complete with identical dialog) for each failure, even if the first few stages were completed successfully. (Which is to say, no save state.) I keep thinking the game can't get worse, and it does.

I found the end game sequence incredibly easy, but I played on normal.

goldenpp72

RedSwirl said:
I've barely played any Crackdown ever. Should I get Crackdown 1 or Crackdown 2.

I’ve only played the original Crackdown demo and thought it was a lot of fun, but I heard the sequel wasn’t that great. Is it “not that great” because it doesn’t improve very much over the first game but is still technically a better game, or is it just flat-out worse than the original Crackdown?

The sequel is in my opinion superior in most but not all ways, however, i think part of the fun of cd2 is seeing the blown up city from the original. If you don't care to see the city in it's original state, then go for cd2, as it's better in most ways. And if you ever want more, cd1 is still very playable after cd2.

Cd2 as you get deeper in it, just has more to it than cd1, cd1 was terrible for managing it's insanely fun achievements, cd2 makes the achievements perfect, the wing suit and chopper are amazing additions and the co op runs far smoother than it did in the original, as well, since it's being played now, cd2 has plenty of games to join.

Cd1 when released was pretty barren and broken, cd2 takes all the patches and content additions of the original and expands on them.

Top Bottom