• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cremation seems so wrong

jason10mm

Gold Member
Anyone else agree that cremation seems so wrong? Burning the body just seems disrespectful, I think a tombstone "preserves" the person better and is more tangible.
Cremation doesn't preclude having a tombstone, it's not like the body is mixed with the cement :p

Cemetaries are largely wastes of land, modern (in the US anyway) burial standards require a sealed coffin that won't degrade for DECADES even if the body inside has long since decomposed.

Plus zombie outbreaks are GREATLY reduced in places that practice cremation, it is known :p

Mistake

Some cemeteries are actually harmful to the environment because of all the chemicals and things used to preserve bodies. I'm fine with being burned or fed to wolves. I did look up taxidermy once, but it's illegal pretty much everywhere.

winjer

Gold Member
I dont mean preserve in that way, which is why I put it in quotes. It's the idea that the body was in that area at a time with the tombstone.

But in that case, you can very well put the ashes in that same place.
Let's be realistic here, in one case it's ashes of biological material, on the other case, it's biological material being eaten by bacteria.

But we can see it as our matter returning to the planet.
The atoms that now make up what we are today, at some point in time, were being made inside burning stars, then they formed a planet, then basic life forms, then other animals and other people.
And when you die, these same atoms will form other objects, other animals, other people.

as an Asian, with both parents and me born outside of US, I had that talk with my 80+ year old dad. we both want the same thing when we pass to just burn the body and throw the ash out in the ocean or something. there's really no point in keeping it and taking up space, and spending money that's absolutely unnecessary for that little space. if god forbid I end up having kids, ever, I don't want them to inconvenient themselves in order to visit/remember me. you can always just keep a small portion of the ash in an urn or something at home if you really want to remember me by. you need nothing more than that and maybe a picture to honor the memories of a family.

Trunx81

It’s a hunters funeral
boom suck it GIF

no, cremation is the best option, it's the full of chemicals burials with overpriced caskets that are weird; if you really want a burial go for the option where you are buried in one of those bio degradable sacks and skip the embalming, this way you can return to the ground as intended.

If you really still want to spend money on some kind of memorial, use some of the ashes from cremation to crush into a gemstone and just have it framed/have people wear it.

Mossybrew

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to leave behind a corpse that naturally gets more and more decomposed and gross, even if it's a natural process. Fry me up, I'm gone, my body should be too.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

Cremation all the way.

My mother got the coffin funeral with the nice coffin to suit my father. When he passed about five years later, we him cremated and placed in the family owned plot. In 2005, that coffin funeral was just over 12 grand. In 2010, the cremation and placement in the plot was just over 3 grand. My wife and I both want to be cremated and have communicated it to the kids. There is a lake near where I live where I want to go. My wife jokes about being in an urn on the mantle of our daughter. 😂

I think I prefer to be burned to ashes then be eaten... But I will be dead, who cares...

Someone can put my ashes in a bronze jar, and put it on top of a apartment building

If "Shin Megami Tensei" ever happens in Brazil, the Hero could be tasked with retrieving my ashes in a apartment dungeon.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I think headstones are wildly impractical and kind of egotistical honestly. Just pick a famous person from 80 years ago. No one remembers them. You're just there taking up space on a lot and no one will ever visit it. No one knows you ever lived. That's a famous person. An average person is just not going to be remembered like that. We're not that important.

I'd rather just return to nature and be out of the way honestly. Cremation gives you a little dignity so you don't just rot somewhere at least if you're not worried about burial.

FeralEcho

Ah yes...because being rotted and eaten away by worms and dirt seems so much better.

Pop Tv Alexis Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

The body is just a vessel for the consciousness and soul.When you die,your corporeal flesh will seem absolutely meaningless,you will not even think about it, your consciousness will be too busy exploring the vastness of space,eternity and nothingness all at once.

To think of disrespect is to limit yourself to ego and ego is a construct of man not life.

When you die your ego will be like an ant in the vastness of space.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
It’s only creepy if people store the ashes at home (like above the chimney) rather than spreading them somewhere or putting them in a cavity on the graveyard.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ah yes...because being rotted and eaten away by worms and dirt seems so much better.

Pop Tv Alexis Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

The body is just a vessel for the consciousness and soul.When you die,your corporeal flesh will seem absolutely meaningless,you will not even think about it, your consciousness will be too busy exploring the vastness of space,eternity and nothingness all at once.

To think of disrespect is to limit yourself to ego and ego is a construct of man not life.

When you die your ego will be like an ant in the vastness of space.
Do you think we'll have memories given those are biological things tied to the fleshy brain? If we don't have memories, are we still us?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Anyone else agree that cremation seems so wrong? Burning the body just seems disrespectful, I think a tombstone "preserves" the person better and is more tangible.
A tombstone is more horrible... Because it is like leaving the person in the cold, alone, desolate, without the company of people.

Valonquar

Cremate, then have a glassblower add your ashes to a midsized marble of red glass so your spouse can cast you as a summon as needed.

Alternately a sky funeral is pretty fuckin metal way to send off as well.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Do you think we'll have memories given those are biological things tied to the fleshy brain? If we don't have memories, are we still us?
I feel like the important pieces of our lives,the moments that marked us profoundly will be left in our subconscious and would spring up like a dream at times but I doubt we'll have vivid memories of our entire life after we die.

I feel like time and space will have completely different meanings once we depart from this earthly plain,so much so that earthly things such as our experiences in life will feel like mere seconds in the grand scheme of things.

Soodanim

Burn me and spread my ashes in a Hooters parking lot. Having an elaborate funeral that costs 10k+ is a bizarre ritual that really serves nobody except the profiteers.
Funerals are for the people attending to grieve and to share happy memories of a loved one. They can be very helpful for some.

For those that aren't religious the various associated rituals don't necessarily count for much, though. The costs even less so.

Codes 208

Cremate, then have a glassblower add your ashes to a midsized marble of red glass so your spouse can cast you as a summon as needed.

Alternately a sky funeral is pretty fuckin metal way to send off as well.
Knowing my gf I would be getting ash summoned to grab more toilet paper because she forgot a roll

Meh. My corpse. Let me decide what I want my family to do with it. If they don't agree with it, fine. I only have a 10k life insurance policy tho. The way I figure; I'm dead, they can flush me down the toilet for what I care.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Knowing my gf I would be getting ash summoned to grab more toilet paper because she forgot a roll
Appear out of a mass of black and purple particle effects effects, wave arms in the air menacingly, clean up cat puke on hallway carpet, vanish in cloud of black smoke and bats.

Artoris

Gold Member
our consciousness is created by electricity if a body is no longer capable of producing it I don't think it matters what happens to it

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Funerals are expensive. There’s no reason to burden someone with the cost of putting your body into the ground. My will states that I am to be cremated.

A family member of mine has designed his grave stone. He picked out the type of rock, the photo, and he has his own spot paid for. Which is super weird to me. He asked his wife if she wanted to take a trip to go see their stone/grave. She refused. That’s just creepy to me.

Trilobit

It's wrong because it deprives the food web of nutrients.

Otherwise, meh.

I bet that would be your last thought if you fell into an active volcano. :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

---

Like a previous poster said, this is the only way to go:
2DJtECx.png

I'd rather see my ashes spread in some nice nature place if people want to go somewhere to remember me. I don't really want to bother anyone with taking care of a gravestone.

Last edited:
Cremation seems to be just a cheaper way of doing things for some posters. Money should not be a concern in those cases, and I really feel for the ones that had been forced to do so because of it. Of course religions are a huge factor in it, but having a tomb for the body is so much more dignified than just burning it because it would be easier. Even for animals, if I could I would prefer to have them buried than cremated.

E-Cat

I dont mean preserve in that way, which is why I put it in quotes. It's the idea that the body was in that area at a time with the tombstone.
What is the significance of a dead body? It’s not the matter that it’s composed of that is/was that person since that constantly changes when we’re alive. It’s the pattern of organization of matter that made them, but that ceases to exist once someone dies and their biological functions end.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What is the significance of a dead body? It’s not the matter that it’s composed of that is/was that person since that constantly changes when we’re alive. It’s the pattern of organization of matter that made them, but that ceases to exist once someone dies and their biological functions end.
FWIW there are some religious beliefs that a body has to be buried very quickly so the corpse can reanimate and claw its way to the promised land in the future.

Puscifer

No. Burn the body, toss the ashes and skip the funeral.
Gotta admit when we did it for my Mom the process sounds horrible but what's more important is that SHE wanted it. I dunno, learning about the process doesn't seem so bad if it respects the departeds wishes, she made it a huge point to say don't bury her and do it cheap.

Last edited:

E-Cat

Now, cryogenic freezing, that would *actually* preserve someone’s pattern given it’s done correctly and in time and no ice crystals form. It could take 500 years, but eventually a future civilization would be able to reanimate them.

A rotting/decomposing corpse, on the other hand, is no more human than a piece of rock.

Rockondevil

Sure, something like a huge crypt would be amazing but it's also a waste of land and money.

Once I'm done, I'm done. Toss me to the wind and let my atoms become something new.

ssringo

Gotta admit when we did it for my Mom the process sounds horrible but what's more important is that SHE wanted it. I dunno, learning about th process doesn't seem so bad if it respects the departeds wishes, she made it a huge point to say don't bury her and do it cheap.
Ultimately do what the dead wish for; if possible. We buried my Mom and my Dad has his plot next to her as that's their wishes and they paid for it. I plan to be tossed in a field to decompose at a body farm. Get one last bit of use out of me through science.

Western Carolina University is the closest to me and I particularly like what they're studying and training for given that I grew up in the region.

Top Bottom