• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

duckroll

Whoa, that's pretty banging! I'm going to have to go right back into New Game+. This game is way too cool to put off to the side right now. I almost figured there would be more rooms because the map is so big and you cover so little of it on your first playthough. Good stuff! Do you happen to know how many New Game+ cycles there are? Like, is the new content only for that one consecutive playthrough? I highly doubt they keep adding stuff on your 3rd game.

I don't know. I only just started NG+ myself. I kinda want to be surprised too. :D

Yuterald

I don't know. I only just started NG+ myself. I kinda want to be surprised too. :D

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I think I'll just go blind from here and see all the new goodies for myself too. Pretty good deal here for $8! There's more love/craftsmanship in this game than most $60 games (which I guess tends to be the case a lot these days). =/

Peff

Man, this game is so cool. I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like, but playing at night with headphones makes it really special. I don't even think the "slow" battles are an issue because the length comes from the decision making more so than the way they play out. Writing is great too. Kind of crazy that a Level 5 game is getting unanimous praise, haha.

Yuterald

Man, this game is so cool. I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like, but playing at night with headphones makes it really special. I don't even think the "slow" battles are an issue because the length comes from the decision making more so than the way they play out. Writing is great too. Kind of crazy that a Level 5 game is getting unanimous praise, haha.

It's not so much Level-5. It's Matsuno that makes this game so great. That guy just gets it. At least for me, when it comes to RPGs, I think over the years I'm starting to appreciate/value his work more than others. His style/philosophies/whatever just click with me on so many levels.

duckroll

Kind of crazy that a Level 5 game is getting unanimous praise, haha.

I wonder if we should even consider it a Level 5 game.

The game design and scenario is all Matsuno, who joined Level 5 and made this game, and then resigned. The event design is by Kyoko Kitahara, another ex-S-E staff who joined Matsuno at Level 5, presumably just for this game. The art direction and designs are by Minaba, who has his own studio Designation. The music is by Sakimoto and his Basiscape studio. The rest of the game development (programming, technical direction, graphics, etc) was handled by Nex Entertainment.

Peff

I know, I know, but they paid the bills :p And well, according to that Famitsu interview, Matsuno originally wanted to do a puzzle game but Hino said no, so I'm willing to cut them some slack this once!

Aeana

I wonder if we should even consider it a Level 5 game.

The game design and scenario is all Matsuno, who joined Level 5 and made this game, and then resigned. The event design is by Kyoko Kitahara, another ex-S-E staff who joined Matsuno at Level 5, presumably just for this game. The art direction and designs are by Minaba, who has his own studio Designation. The music is by Sakimoto and his Basiscape studio. The rest of the game development (programming, technical direction, graphics, etc) was handled by Nex Entertainment.
I'm actually surprised to hear that it wasn't developed by Level-5.

duckroll

I'm actually surprised to hear that it wasn't developed by Level-5.

I was surprised too, but it turns out Level-5 didn't do any actual development on the Guild01 games. We already knew that Liberation Maiden was Grasshopper and Aero Porter was Vivarium Inc, but it turns out Nex Entertainment developed Crimson Shroud and that Weapon Rental game as well. Maybe Level-5 didn't have any resources to spare for such a small project.

Matsuno hit it out of the park with this one. The top notch writing, the simple and rewarding chain mechanic, plus a low price make this a must have for the 3DS. Getting to know all the systems may be confusing at first, but if you are a fan of the man's work you cannot skip this title. Highly recommended.

terrisus

Still taking my time through this, just at the end of Chapter 1, just found
the hidden lever in the Minotaur room, and the secret passage down to the zombie minotaur
. Still really loving the presentation of the game, the narrative description of everything as you enter rooms and such. The battle system's growing on me a bit more, and still kind of figuring out melding (doesn't seem I have very many useful things to meld yet), but, love basically everything else about it. And now onto Chapter 2!

Rootbeer

Banned
Bought. Price is a bit high if it's really only a 5 hour game, but I know i'll enjoy it and I want to support more games like this coming to the eShop

Yasawas

And done, at exactly seven hours according to the activity log. Well worth the £7 or whatever it was, so much class and craft on display, a fantastic combat system and a great wee story told in an interesting way.

Now kinda inspired to finally play that Vagrant Story I bought off PSN years ago.

Man, this game is so cool. I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like, but playing at night with headphones makes it really special. I don't even think the "slow" battles are an issue because the length comes from the decision making more so than the way they play out.

I think the battle speed is just about perfect given the overall length of the game. Every encounter feels meaningful and it never feels like you're grinding (with one possible exception, depending on your luck). Actually, I'm really impressed at how this game delivers a streamlined but still full-fledged RPG experience. I would definitely not object to more RPGs of this scale, especially coming off of the 80-hour beast that is Persona 4 Golden.

And I'm loving the soundtrack. Snagged it from iTunes last night.

Peff

And done, at exactly seven hours according to the activity log. Well worth the £7 or whatever it was, so much class and craft on display, a fantastic combat system and a great wee story told in an interesting way.

Now kinda inspired to finally play that Vagrant Story I bought off PSN years ago.

Do eeet! If you have a PSP or a Vita it's a perfect fit for them too. Just make sure to read about the weapon system in gamefaqs or LTTP threads here to make it smooth sailing.

Yasawas

Do eeet! If you have a PSP or a Vita it's a perfect fit for them too. Just make sure to read about the weapon system in gamefaqs or LTTP threads here to make it smooth sailing.

Ha, I definitely will this time. I actually bought it at original release and did not do this, or have the internet access to research it, and got to a point where the gear I had was doing nothing and I didn't know what to do about it which is why I gave up on it.

Dark Souls made me think of VS for some reason so replaying it has been on my mind for a while but this has definitely pushed me.

Aeana

I'm replaying VS right now while I go through Crimson Shroud. It's such a great game. It truly has one of the best introduction sequences in gaming.

It's also the natural progression from this game for someone who wants more Matsuno-

Celine

I'm far into chapter 3.
Does melding with two weapon work only with weapon of the same kind?
For example to increase a composite bow stat you need another composite bow?

I've only done melding to get the spell to dispel "terrified".
What a bitch of a status.

I think the battle speed is just about perfect given the overall length of the game. Every encounter feels meaningful and it never feels like you're grinding (with one possible exception, depending on your luck). Actually, I'm really impressed at how this game delivers a streamlined but still full-fledged RPG experience. I would definitely not object to more RPGs of this scale, especially coming off of the 80-hour beast that is Persona 4 Golden.

And I'm loving the soundtrack. Snagged it from iTunes last night.
Yeah, it's great how well crafted it is.
A streamlined RPG with a charmy table top presentation and feel.

It kind of validate the Guild01 concept, that is small games packed with the essential skills of game creators with great talent (Matsuno writing, Sakimoto music etc.).

terrisus

Well, onto the 3rd chapter now. Regarding the 2nd chapter item issue
I had read the spoilers about what to do in general, so had an idea about what to do in general, and when I realized I was in the spot, was going back and forth trying to get it... before realizing I apparently must have gotten it the first time I was there or something, since when I found another one, it told me I already had one. It took me a little bit to figure out what to actually do with it from there though, that whole bit was a little confusing.
Although, based on other people using that spot to get some good items, considering I don't have anything stronger than a +1, and not much useful stuff melded, kind of feel like I should hang out there for a bit anyway. But, past it all now, and moving along.

M3d10n

I'm absolutely in love with the choose-your-own-adventure-book style. Being heavily text based allows the writing to shine and thankfully the translation is top notch.

Also, rolling the dices yourself has a strange psychological effect on what is simply the result of a random number. I still haven't managed to knock a dice onto the top screen, how do you do it?

Celine

I'm absolutely in love with the choose-your-own-adventure-book style. Being heavily text based allows the writing to shine and thankfully the translation is top notch.

Also, rolling the dices yourself has a strange psychological effect on what is simply the result of a random number. I still haven't managed to knock a dice onto the top screen, how do you do it?
I've done it once, not sure how (shaking strong?) but it felt good :)

M3d10n

I've done it once, not sure how (shaking strong?) but it felt good :)

I even tried the old "touch two alternating points in the touchscreen" trick. Wait, by shaking you mean the system? Can you roll the dice using the accelerometer?

Finished my first playthrough, with only one death to the penultimate boss.
Seriously though, fuck Witch Kings, especially the one that copies Frea Hastening everybody.
So painful, but it hurt so good.

Overally pretty awesome. Kinda surprised Jeremy only gave it a B, even with that one bit of trolling in Chapter 2(which is a pretty isolated incident in the first place).

VICI0US

Finished my first playthrough, with only one death to the penultimate boss.
Seriously though, fuck Witch Kings, especially the one that copies Frea Hastening everybody.
So painful, but it hurt so good.

Overally pretty awesome. Kinda surprised Jeremy only gave it a B, even with that one bit of trolling in Chapter 2(which is a pretty isolated incident in the first place).

haha, I died there too.

rolled the max of 8 on their ambush roll, so I couldn't do ANYTHING for 8 turns. was brutal. by the time I was able to act my entire party was nearly dead and I spent the next several minutes just barely clinging to life until my party dropped.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
does the new game + have new content plotwise ?

There is supposedly a new ending. I'm still in chapter 2 of NG+ and having problems in battles so am progressing slowly. I just read on Gamefaqs that NG++ is supposed to have more dialogue but they are removed from the English version. Can anyone verify?

There is supposedly a new ending. I'm still in chapter 2 of NG+ and having problems in battles so am progressing slowly. I just read on Gamefaqs that NG++ is supposed to have more dialogue but they are removed from the English version. Can anyone verify?

That can't be right. I've only just started my 2nd game, but using the "skip previously read text" option stops you at text you haven't seen before.

Edit: Wait, now I remember that that was dialogue choice related, I still have to play more to confirm.

Soulhouf

I'm in chapter 3 right now and I'm loving it so far. The narrative, the story and gameplay are all first class.
I started to doubt that Matsuno is no longer as good as he used to be but this game already convinced me that I was wrong all along.
The game doesn't do many things but it does things awesomely right.

BTW I just read posts in the previous pages and I didn't even know you could be stuck in chapter 2, that sounds so awesome. In my play style I always go back and forth and re-visit previous areas so I guess I got what I needed without even noticing it.

I'm replaying VS right now while I go through Crimson Shroud. It's such a great game. It truly has one of the best introduction sequences in gaming.

It's also the natural progression from this game for someone who wants more Matsuno-

Now I'm planning to play Vagrant again as well. That fucking intro with the fading music with the leitmotiv in the end on the awesome title screen.
"Reinforcements? I am the reinforcements."

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I finally had some time to start playing this title. Well, it really seems good, so good. I just arrived at the first real boss (or so I think), and I'm already digging the encounter system and battle system itself. Plus the game is full of atmosphere like only Matsuno x Sakimoto can create. Promising as hell :p

Ricker

I didn't like getting ambushed lol and that crazy roll gave me 5 turns to wait...this will happen randomnly right?...no way to see it coming?(which is why its called ambush but in some games you can avoid it by not getting hit in the back,stuff like that).

Just finished the game. Ending spoilers:
Holy shit I hope there's a good ending on NG+. So if I understand correctly the only crime that Abigail commited was fall in love with the crime or there was any detail I missed?

Seriously left me with a taste of "want more". More of the world, more of the lore, more dungeons, more localizations....

Well, I guess NG+ should suffice. I hope Matsuno can make a game with bigger scale next time.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
These Mother Fucking
witch kings. I have died on this shit like 7 times, so tough to get the haste prevented quick enough and I just get beat into submission with no recourse. WAT DO

This is pretty cool.

The writing is pretty damn awesome too..

I really need to play Vagrant Story one of these days....

does it work on Vita? I downloaded it when I was on ps1 rpg kick for my psp but never played it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty cool.

The writing is pretty damn awesome too..

I really need to play Vagrant Story one of these days....

does it work on Vita? I downloaded it when I was on ps1 rpg kick for my psp but never played it.

It does :)

Gloam

Digging the game so far, Vagrant Story is tied up with some Christmas memories and so this is a nice game to play during the festive season.

Playing through Chapter 1, I'm a little stumped by the Z
ombie Minotaur, stuck in a bit of a healing loop where he keeps getting his health back over and over,
what happens if you wipe out? Do you have to restart from your last Save Game or the start of the room?

Gardios

Damn, the last three boss fights were brutal on the 2nd playthrough. Though coming back from a 5 turn penalty and beating the
Witch Knights
felt so good. Too bad the ending didn't seem to change in any significant way. :'(

EDIT: Apparently there's a trigger for the second ending I may have missed? Hmm...

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
LTTP on this. Writing is OH SO BAD. But the game is fun, glad I downloaded it and Denpa Men.

All I see is this, when I read the bolded part
not to mention being LTTP on a game that's been out for five days
:

goJRi.jpg

Damn, the last three boss fights were brutal on the 2nd playthrough. Though coming back from a 5 turn penalty and beating the
Witch Knights
felt so good. Too bad the ending didn't seem to change in any significant way. :'(

EDIT: Apparently there's a trigger for the second ending I may have missed? Hmm...

How long was your second playthrough?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Got to the second chapter, visited a few rooms and beat the
goblins and Minotaur encounter
. Really enjoying this game so far, the low production value aren't hurting this much.

I pussied out so I didn't try it but I'm wondering if (end of chapter one spoiler)
the zombie minotaur can be hurt by using a healing spell... Would be rad

These Mother Fucking
witch kings. I have died on this shit like 7 times, so tough to get the haste prevented quick enough and I just get beat into submission with no recourse. WAT DO
There's a spell that debuffs all enemies, this is your friend. Also have some offensive skills at the ready to kill off
Frea
quickly.

Forkball

This game is a lot of fun. Very unique idea with some great battle mechanics. I do admit that Frea's butt dimples are pretty distracting.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
This game is a lot of fun. Very unique idea with some great battle mechanics. I do admit that Frea's butt dimples are pretty distracting.
So I'm not the only one... was called a perv for pointing that out to my gf. Can you read that crazy woman!?

Top Bottom