• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

duckroll

Hmmm... I got to chapter 3 in NG+ so far. There's a new area in chapter 2 which I couldn't access. I wonder what I need...

MechaX

So the first playthrough is about 10 hours, but how worth is is NG+? Based on Duckroll's reports, it seems there are some additional areas unlocked, but I don't know how substantial it is (or if there are changes in story, etc).

I'm just wondering if I should pick it up now or later, because I have to update my 3DS firmware to get it. This is a slight hiccup for me because I was an idiot in picking up a 3DS flashcart just to play the translated FE12 (and newer firmware would block it). But I want to play a Matsuno game so badly...

Beaten. Found a "rolling debuff" strategy crucial to both getting dice and keeping bosses locked down for burst damage when they're vulnerable. Felt alot like Persona 3/4 oddly, but with more gears turning.

Going to finish up VLR then jump back in for more NG+ tomfoolery.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Just got it today. Not sure what to expect, never played any of his titles before! This looked cool though. Did one battle and like it so far and the music is great.

Instro

So what am I supposed to do in Ch.2? I've just been grinding skeletons for shit trying to figure out what to do next.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Butt dimples? Wut? Probably too engrossed on the story to notice...
Only saw it once in the first chapter, there's a scene where Frea turns her back to the "camera". Low-res butt dimples but still...

Anyway, I'm at *that* point in chapter 2
It's the skeletton mages I need to grind not the knights right? And the item I need is straight called a key, right?

Already at 5+ hours of play time, I must be slow at this game.

Only saw it once in the first chapter, there's a scene where Frea turns her back to the "camera". Low-res butt dimples but still...

Anyway, I'm at *that* point in chapter 2
It's the skeletton mages I need to grind not the knights right? And the item I need is straight called a key, right?

Already at 5+ hours of play time, I must be slow at this game.
It seems I'll have to pay more attention on NG+!

As for C2:
It's a mage drop but it's called obsidian something I think, the item description and the loot score will make it clear it's the one you need to light the room

duckroll

The interface in Matsuno games is always very, very pretty, but generally has functionality problems. Especially considering how complex how systems can be sometimes, it hurts the most when you really want to dig deep into the systems and find that information is often displayed in ways which make comparisons hard and annoying, and hence hurts the player's ability to get a good understanding on what's better/worse by a glance.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The interface in Matsuno games is always very, very pretty, but generally has functionality problems. Especially considering how complex how systems can be sometimes, it hurts the most when you really want to dig deep into the systems and find that information is often displayed in ways which make comparisons hard and annoying, and hence hurts the player's ability to get a good understanding on what's better/worse by a glance.

Precisely. I appreciate the breadth of items and customization options... but the way it is designed makes it so obscure and difficult to actually COMPARE one item or one stat to another, turns it all into one frustrating affair.

Blue or red coding does not help matters, not all stats are created equal, and the initial values are covered up by the item you'd like to equip, so I don't know how much of an impact one item has over another, unless I constantly equip and unequip everything and then scroll down the whole stat list again and again to get a good sense of the impact of the change. Ughhhhhhh.

And that's only gear!

duckroll

Precisely. I appreciate the breadth of items and customization options... but the way it is designed makes it so obscure and difficult to actually COMPARE one item or one stat to another, turns it all into one frustrating affair.

Blue or red coding does not help matters, not all stats are created equal, and the initial values are gone so I don't know how much of an impact one item has over another, unless I constantly equip and unequip everything and then scroll down the whole stat list again and again to get a good sense of the impact of the time. Ughhhhhhh.

And that's only gear!

What I usually have to do with the equipment in Crimson Shroud is to move the right-hand bar down to the area of the stats I want to compare, let's say spells, or racial bonuses, etc, and then I select between weapons to see the differences. Of course after that I have to move the bar back up, to make sure the main stats aren't too disadvantageous if I want to select a weaker equipment for the extra bonuses. It's really quite a pain.

On the plus side though, I was talking to dresden who's been playing Tactics Ogre on PSP lately, and he was bitching about how the Act option in combat menus is totally useless and just makes it one extra sub-menu to navigate. It looks like someone heard those complaints, because here at least the combat options are all out in the open, and after selecting a main action, the main options simply grey out, and vice versa for the Skills option.

Soulhouf

Not because you can't craft more than an item at a time? It's literally menu grinding.

That didn't bother me. If the crafting was made in a workshop à la Vagrant Story with an awesome music, I would be happy. It's a pain in the ass to make a good weapon but the result is worth the trouble and that felt good.

Cfh123

This game is awesome! I just completed the first boss encounter.

I wish more RPG's were like this - smaller scale, tightly focused, rather than bloated spectacles.

Gardios

Got the 2nd ending. Aside from the key item hunting in chapter 2 and newgame+(though it didn't delay me too much) I'm really satisfied with this game. I

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Just finished it a bit under 12 hours, THAT.WAS.GOOD. I'm going to dive right back in for a NG+. Matsuno really knows his shit, story keeps things interesting and hints at a universe I'd like to see more of.

Last boss wasn't much of a challenge, which was surprising seeing how the fight right before it had me spend a few D10.

That didn't bother me. If the crafting was made in a workshop à la Vagrant Story with an awesome music, I would be happy. It's a pain in the ass to make a good weapon but the result is worth the trouble and that felt good.

The criticisms of TOs crafting don't wash. It just isn't one of those automatic crafting systems that you find yourself overflowing with mats for. These +1/+2/etc gear are POWERFUL, so it's reined in for balance.

So, what's everyone's favorite track in this game? I can't stop listening to Her Reputation Precedes Her.

Show Your Mettle

The flourishes on the horn and fiddle are masterful.

Top Bottom