• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

derFeef

Heavy said:
Ok I'll try it, thanks.
Also just noticed it's Catalyst version 10.9. I thought Steam was automatically updating, maybe I turned it off. Current version is 11.2...lol.
Don't forget to unlock your Overdrive (key symbol), you are missing out on some performance there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Gvaz said:
That's because the after one is at 75 FOV.

This game obviously doesn't do FOV properly, what you want is horizontal? FOV like with Bad Company 2.

so at 1920x1200 or 16:10 you want like a 59 FOV.

Otherwise you get the fisheye effect like in that second picture, which is why it looks like shit.
It was jaggier too. I guess you some kind of AA solution to get the best IQ.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So how's the new game plus stuff? I hear it carries over, but how much is there to it?

I love a game with some good new game plus.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
&Divius said:
Can someone explain 'This is what happens Larry...' ?
"This is what happens Larry, this is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps"
Its a famous movie quote, probably they are talking about crysis 1 where you go into a snow covered mountain and unleash the aliens :).

Man why you got to be so bad at scripting Crytek? If you are going to slow me down so that I wouldn't be able to catch up to an enemy that you don't want me to kill than why not just you know not let me shoot in the first place then? So I wouldn't have to watch two or three rockets explode in its face and have zero effect.

Z_Y

This thread serves as a reminder as to why I got out of PC gaming after Doom 3. Sure the game may look prettier...but who the hell cares if you don't play it? Even if you do play it...you're too worried you might not be completely optimized to even enjoy it.

Sorry...I'd just rather see the OT be filled with impressions rather than config suggestions.

I'm on the fence and MP (console peasant here) is going to be the deal breaker or maker for me. If it's a mixed bag...I'll wait for a price drop to run through the campaign.

Z_Y said:
Sorry...I'd just rather see the OT be filled with impressions rather than config suggestions.
There are a ton of impressions in this thread. I am guessing you just choose to ignore them so you can bitch about PC gaming.

spicy cho

Crytek's goal was to bring a PC game to consoles, says Crysis 2's executive producer.

Crysis 2 might have taken the series multi-platform, but Crytek's Nathan Camarillo says the studio hasn't "consolified" it for the new audience on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Camarillo says that Crysis 2 is a PC game made to fit on a console, not the other way round.

Speaking in a video interview with Games.On.Net, Camarillo said that Crytek wanted to bring a Crysis-like gameplay experience to consoles - something he thought that it lacked - and that fundamentally meant that the PC had to be the primary platform. That goal, he said, was one of the motivating factors behind the creation of CryEngine 3. He said that Crytek had torn apart the engine that the first Crysis had run on, and rebuilt it so that it could scale more easily on consoles.

This new engine also meant that PC users could get the best out of their hardware. Players with a low-end PC could still enjoy the game - something that couldn't be said about the first Crysis - but those with the really powerful computers could turn everything up to maximum and see the fruits of their investment. This is obviously good news for PC gamers, especially those who feel like they're being sidelined by the larger console demographic.

Crysis 2 is already out in North America, and comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 tomorrow in Europe and Australia.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Claims-Crytek

Z_Y

Lostconfused said:
There are a ton of impressions in this thread. I am guessing you just choose to ignore them so you can bitch about PC gaming.
Should have clarified...MP impressions. I'm not bitching about PC gaming...I'm bitching that 75% of the OT is a graphics horse beat down.

Z_Y said:
This thread serves as a reminder as to why I got out of PC gaming after Doom 3. Sure the game may look prettier...but who the hell cares if you don't play it? Even if you do play it...you're too worried you might not be completely optimized to even enjoy it.

I'm on the fence and MP (console peasant here) is going to be the deal breaker or maker for me. If it's a mixed bag...I'll wait for a price drop to run through the campaign.
It's coming up on 5000 posts, config talk started happening in the last 2 pages,

Z_Y said:
Should have clarified...MP impressions. I'm not bitching about PC gaming...I'm bitching that 75% of the OT is a graphics horse beat down.
Go outside, find a trash can filled with rats, then stick your dick in it.

That's pretty much the Crysis 2 MP experience.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Z_Y said:

Did you miss the dedicated PS3/360 comparison thread, plus the acres of discussion on the differences between the two console versions. Its not like only PC gamers are posting non-gameplay related info.

JoeBoy101

Sethos said:
Shotgun sure is powerful ...

Wait until you get the Silenced Shotgun. :)

Plus the underbarrel-mounted light shotgun for the Spec Ops Silenced Scarab was very nice as well. Initial out-of-stealth blast then switched to silenced weapon.

Players with a low-end PC could still enjoy the game - something that couldn't be said about the first Crysis - but those with the really powerful computers could turn everything up to maximum and see the fruits of their investment. This is obviously good news for PC gamers, especially those who feel like they're being sidelined by the larger console demographic.

Now, I understand what Crytek is trying to argue there, but that statement is some real rich and creamy bullshit. Word yet on that DX11 patch, guys?

And Escapist is hilarious arguing how its good news for PC gamers. Where's that Dragon Age II review?

Slo

I've been trying to find accurate information about DX11 support or lack thereof. Can somebody confirm whether or not it's in the PC version?

JoeBoy101 said:
Wait until you get the Silenced Shotgun. :)

Plus the underbarrel-mounted light shotgun for the Spec Ops Silenced Scarab was very nice as well. Initial out-of-stealth blast then switched to silenced weapon.
The shotguns in this are trashy wastes of space compared to the death dealing machine that was the Crysis shotgun.
Animator said:
You are so full of shit and hyperbole.
Subjective issues aside, I was playing games with better netcode in 1999.

Z_Y said:

For Metro 2033 we had a separate thread for all the PC tweakers. Don't know why no one did the same for this game. It would make a lot of sense.

derFeef said:
Don't forget to unlock your Overdrive (key symbol), you are missing out on some performance there.
Forgive me if this is off-topic but I just don't understand a few very basic things.

1. Should I be running Catalyst Control Center or RadeonPro or BOTH in the background?
2. I installed D3DOverrider and run that to enable triple buffering and force vsync thanks to the thread linked earlier. I see options for these in RadeonPro... should I just checkbox them and delete D3DOverrider or keep it running along with RadeonPro?
3. When running D3DOverrider it always asks if I should allow the program to start. I have it to start when Windows boots so it asks right away and is annoying.
4. If I unlock Overdrive and OC but don't run CCC and just go with RadeonPro, will it still be OC'ing?
5. What's the highest 100% safe GPU temp range with Overdrive on?
thanks

Cheeto

Animator said:
You are so full of shit and hyperbole.
Take CoD and Halo, and make a test tube baby of them... then give the surrogate mother a straight diet of cocaine and Bud Light until birth. That's Crysis 2 MP.

Z_Y said:

Even if that's what all PC gamers did, why would that mean you have to follow suit? Some guys that drive BMWs are dicks, but it wouldn't stop me owning one.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Z_Y said:
Crysis isn't a franchise that's known by its multiplayer. The MP has been pretty polarizing, with some people enjoying it and others lamenting the smaller maps, high lethality gunplay and perks, which give it a CoD flavor.

Personally, I had a good time online. The map design seemed solid and the suit powers and abilities give the game a unique flavor, despite many of the derivative elements. Ledge grabbing and sliding are fun additions to the movement system, and I think this type of agility will be the norm going forward.

But I think they will have to have solid post release support to give this title any longevity online. I would really like to see some more open, vehicle focused maps in the future. The crash site game mode is one of the weaker ones so they may need revise it at some point.

Cheeto said:
Take CoD and Halo, and make a test tube baby of them... then give the surrogate mother a straight diet of cocaine and Bud Light until birth. That's Crysis 2 MP.

I actually enjoyed the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo much more than I've ever enjoyed a Halo game.

Cheeto

ColonelColon said:
I actually enjoyed the Crysis 2 multiplayer demo much more than I've ever enjoyed a Halo game.
I actually despise every multiplayer experience I've gotten from both CoD and Halo, so I thought Crysis 2's is complete shit.

Cheeto said:
Spot on. It's one of the most derivative MP modes I have played in a longgg time.

Pimpbaa

Stallion Free said:
What the fuck I just lost almost 10000 nano points that I was saving for the Stealth enhance. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LET A BUG LIKE THAT HAPPEN. I had been saving up for the last couple levels.

Yeah, I mentioned this last night and not many people commented. I spend my points before I quit the game now.

Sethos

Banned
Heavy said:
Forgive me if this is off-topic but I just don't understand a few very basic things.

1. Should I be running Catalyst Control Center or RadeonPro or BOTH in the background?
2. I installed D3DOverrider and run that to enable triple buffering and force vsync thanks to the thread linked earlier. I see options for these in RadeonPro... should I just checkbox them and delete D3DOverrider or keep it running along with RadeonPro?
3. When running D3DOverrider it always asks if I should allow the program to start. I have it to start when Windows boots so it asks right away and is annoying.
4. If I unlock Overdrive and OC but don't run CCC and just go with RadeonPro, will it still be OC'ing?
5. What's the highest 100% safe GPU temp range with Overdrive on?
thanks

CCC is just the vanilla settings. RadeonPro is a profile app. that allows more settings and game specific settings - Make a profile for each game and customize them, it'll override the CCC settings. If RadeonPro has the settings, just delete D3DOverrider.

Unlocking overdrive just provides you access to OC and manual temp. control ( Nice if you have a third party cooler ) but it's not a dynamic overclocker, it still sticks to vanilla settings Idle / load. It's just a safety precaution to let you know, tampering with it will cause you to void the warranty basically.

And anything below 60* is my threshold, when you start going above that, it's a bit too much ( Personal opinion, the hardware can take some punishment ).

JoeBoy101

MickeyKnox said:
The shotguns in this are trashy wastes of space compared to the death dealing machine that was the Crysis shotgun.

This is pretty much true of all the guns I've run into so far through half the game.

Darkshier said:
Spot on. It's one of the most derivative MP modes I have played in a longgg time.
Yeah and the one mode that sounds the most interesting (Assault), you have to be at level 18 to unlock. WTF

Pimpbaa said:
Yeah, I mentioned this last night and not many people commented. I spend my points before I quit the game now.
What exactly is the bug?

Z_Y

DeadRockstar said:
Even if that's what all PC gamers did, why would that mean you have to follow suit? Some guys that drive BMWs are dicks, but it wouldn't stop me owning one.
Maybe I've changed in the last 7 years (has it been that long? I swear I bought my video card in the spring of 04)...but I'd be right there with them. Trying to tweak my way to the perfect config....stressing over every dropped frame.

Consoles are "good enough" for me these days...and I do most of my gaming in bed at the end of the day. I've been daydreaming about building a slightly better than PS360 HTPC lately though. Hopefully if I do... I can fight the urge to tweak.

Thanks for the impressions SapientWolf. I think I may hold off until I can pick it up cheap. The SP sounds like a good time.

Sethos

Banned
By the way, can anyone list me the ports this game is using? Despite having UPnP enabled that works for every game, this bastard insists on being Strict NAT - Guess I have to forward them manually.

I think Crysis 2's multi-player is fantastic. It's COD-ified in that there's a full-on progression system with a shit ton of unlocks (weaps, attachments, gadgets, equipment), medals, icons, kill streaks, camo colors, all kinds of shit. I have no idea why people always think this is a bad thing and just wanna play vanilla multi-player for the rest of their lives. I love it and it adds so much replayability to the multi-player.

But in terms of actual gameplay, it is NOT COD. You're paper in COD; you die instantly. This is not the case with Crysis 2's MP. You have to unload into people for a good while unless you can get a headshot, especially if they have armor mode on. And of course the Nanosuit abilities. The game is a cross between COD (progression system, customization) and Halo Reach (gameplay, some nanosuit mode similarities).

The modes are good, too. I haven't played Assault because of Crytek's ridiculous decision to unlock it at level 18 but it sounds really fun.

Ultimately, I don't know how people can complain about the multi-player after the dreadful attempt at MP that was Crysis Wars. It's a yoooge leap. It's not perfect and there's obvious issues, but it's a huge improvement.

Z_Y

Heavy said:
I think Crysis 2's multi-player is fantastic. It's COD-ified in that there's a full-on progression system with a shit ton of unlocks (weaps, attachments, gadgets, equipment), medals, icons, kill streaks, camo colors, all kinds of shit. I have no idea why people always think this is a bad thing and just wanna play vanilla multi-player for the rest of their lives. I love it and it adds so much replayability to the multi-player.

But in terms of actual gameplay, it is NOT COD. You're paper in COD; you die instantly. This is not the case with Crysis 2's MP. You have to unload into people for a good while unless you can get a headshot, especially if they have armor mode on. And of course the Nanosuit abilities. The game is a cross between COD (progression system, customization) and Halo Reach (gameplay, some nanosuit mode similarities).

The modes are good, too. I haven't played Assault because of Crytek's ridiculous decision to unlock it at level 18 but it sounds really fun.

Ultimately, I don't know how people can complain about the multi-player after the dreadful attempt at MP that was Crysis Wars. It's a yoooge leap. It's not perfect and there's obvious issues, but it's a huge improvement.
Hmmm...i do like the idea of not dying so easily. That is my biggest complaint about CoD.

I'll post this here too..
nice read.
Crysis 2 & CryENGINE 3 Key Rendering Features by Tiago Sousa (Principal R&D Graphics Engineer)

notable parts
Anti-aliasing
Although many multiplatform engines often do not use AA on certain platforms, CryENGINE 3 uses a form of amortized MSAA reminiscent of OpenGL accumulation buffer approaches, called Post MSAA.
Such an approach works by accumulating sub-samples over frames and reprojecting them to the current frame. It should not be confused with “temporal antialiasing” commonly used on 60 fps games that simply do a linear blending and hence have ghosting for every pixel. The Post MSAA approach is very general and allows for a sub-pixel accuracy solution on all platforms at a cost of just 1ms on consoles, and less than 0.2 ms on PCs at 1080p resolutions.
Due to its sub-pixel accuracy, it minimizes moiré patterns and visible shimmering on surfaces with high frequency characteristics (fences, grids, etc) commonly visible in EdgeAA/MLAA or similar techniques. It works on alpha tested geometry, and performs shader anti-aliasing i.e. on surfaces using Parallax Occlusion mapping, or similar aliasing prone techniques. It also performs post-tone mapping without damaging HDR quality on high contrast areas like regular hardware MSAA approaches (pre-dx11).
Such a technique is quite a novelty in the video game industry and it’s very likely Crytek will release improved versions as it has potential to also be merged with different techniques - for example, it’s currently also combined with Nvidia’s FXAA in “Extreme” spec, in order to improve quality further with sub-pixel accuracy results from post MSAA.

Lighting
In CryENGINE 3, all lights are dynamic and deferred. Therefore, we have a very slim G-Buffer, composed of normals/depth, used later in the 3D pipeline for several purposes. The deferred lighting accumulation is done in HDR on all platforms

Water rendering
This was primarily the same water rendering approach as in Crysis 1 (the different look is mostly due to cityscape environments instead of tropical environments).

PC vs Console
The lowest PC spec, “High”, is almost the same as the spec used on consoles, besides per-platform differences, such as different texture formats for render targets and different normal map formats on PS3 due to lack of 3Dc support. PC specs also feature improved texture quality, since we do not use streaming for PC due to the vast memory resources available. Anisotropic filtering is enabled for all specs, while on PS3 it is dynamically adjusted and goes up to 16x anisotropic, and on Xbox 360 it is limited to 4x anisotropic in order to reduce the performance cost.

JoeBoy101 said:
This is pretty much true of all the guns I've run into so far through half the game.
Liberator (i think that's the name, the one that looks like a Beretta 92 Match) is a good pistol, there's a pretty decent assault rifle that pops up a little past half way through the game I forget it's ridiculous name, the LMG and the HMG, pretty much the only weapons worth using.

Sucks that they don't let you carry a pistol separate from your primary and secondary like in the first, or dual-wield for that matter, i guess that's what happens when your pistols have a higher damage rating than most every other gun.

mxgt

Banned
Z_Y said:
Maybe I've changed in the last 7 years (has it been that long? I swear I bought my video card in the spring of 04)...but I'd be right there with them. Trying to tweak my way to the perfect config....stressing over every dropped frame.

Nothing wrong with that, that's why so many people like PC gaming - you can customise and edit.

Is Quick Match supposed to do some sort of matchmaking? I tried it and no one joined, it looked more like I was just creating my own empty game.

Also is there any workaround at all for the "CD Key in use" error, or am I pretty much boned when that happens?

Top Bottom