• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

jett

D-Member
Vampire Hunter Vizier said:

I captured the difference between the three "specs" of the PC version.

XJqJS.jpg

4meLG.jpg

yQmai.jpg

They are negligible. Gamer Spec from the dmeo has become High Spec btw. I got 60fps with that one, so I guess it's good enough for me. :p

To the pics above: weird how Very High looks slightly more sharper than Extreme.

Sethos said:
CCC is just the vanilla settings. RadeonPro is a profile app. that allows more settings and game specific settings - Make a profile for each game and customize them, it'll override the CCC settings. If RadeonPro has the settings, just delete D3DOverrider.

Unlocking overdrive just provides you access to OC and manual temp. control ( Nice if you have a third party cooler ) but it's not a dynamic overclocker, it still sticks to vanilla settings Idle / load. It's just a safety precaution to let you know, tampering with it will cause you to void the warranty basically.

And anything below 60* is my threshold, when you start going above that, it's a bit too much ( Personal opinion, the hardware can take some punishment ).
Thanks for the reply.

Z_Y said:
Hmmm...i do like the idea of not dying so easily. That is my biggest complaint about CoD.
That's my biggest gripe with COD, too. You should see Homefront's MP... it's even worse. You're made of a feather, lol.

Heavy said:
Ultimately, I don't know how people can complain about the multi-player after the dreadful attempt at MP that was Crysis Wars. It's a yoooge leap. It's not perfect and there's obvious issues, but it's a huge improvement.
Crysis Wars was dead in the water because Crytek didn't even bother to stem the flow of hacks that had started popping up in Crysis and a complete lack of interest in improving the netcode and balance. They abandoned the entire thing early.

We went from a deep mp with a learning curve that was too much for people with the attention span of a goldfish, to a fucking nonsense random spawn deathmatch numbers popping up on screen bars being filled definition of a mindless shooter with absolute shite netcode and hit detection.

WHAT IN THE FUCK. I've been saving my nano catalyst points or whatever for the past 3 or so chapters and I load up my game and it's down to 0? The fuck is this shit?

MisterAnderson said:
WHAT IN THE FUCK. I've been saving my nano catalyst points or whatever for the past 3 or so chapters and I load up my game and it's down to 0? The fuck is this shit?
Today's the first time I've heard of it but other people are having this issue too. Sucks.

MisterAnderson said:
I've been lucky that it hasn't been that bad for me, but I did load up my game once and had 500 less points then I had at that checkpoint before.

BeeDog

Good lord, what the fuck is wrong with that piece of shit MyCrysis website!

"Hi, herpderpherpyderpy@gmail.com, welcome back!"

*clicking on Edit Profile so I can figure out the nick I used earlier*

"You must sign in at the top of the page in to use the forums."

Huh?

Anyone else having problems? I want to be able to sign in when starting the damn game.

mandiller

I just thought I'd chime into the thread that I bought the game for the 360 yesterday after umming and arring between the 360 version and the PC version and I'm very impressed with the game. It looks great on my TV. Sure it might have looked a little bit better on my PC, but playing the game on a big screen is awesome.

Crysis 2 has been really enjoyable so far, except for the wooden voice acting. The game may have changed its setting, but it still feels very 'Crysis' like to me. I can tackle the encounters with Cell a few different ways, as you could with the Koreans in the original. The biggest improvement is definitely having an alien foot soldier enemy. Before it was just an annoying flying enemy which turned the game into duck hunt. Now we actually have an alien solider we can try and out smart.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jett said:

They are negligible. Gamer Spec from the dmeo has become High Spec btw. I got 60fps with that one, so I guess it's good enough for me. :p
No offense dude but those are three awfully compressed jpegs being hosted on Imgur (double shit). Not really the best way to try to tell the difference.

Anyways, I just got to the night time levels and anyone who plays this game on PC and isn't impressed by the visuals in said levels is fucking insane. The lighting is god-tier.

jackdoe

MisterAnderson said:
I lost 600 points myself.

Stallion Free said:
No offense dude but those are three awfully compressed jpegs being hosted on Imgur (double shit). Not really the best way to try to tell the difference.

Anyways, I just got to the night time levels and anyone who plays this game on PC and isn't impressed by the visuals in said levels is fucking insane. The lighting is god-tier.

The night time levels is much more impressive, yes.

BeeDog

I hope someone can help me out here; how can you check/look up/figure out the nick you used for MyCrysis? The website is completely bonkers, and the password reset mails don't help at all either, so I can't log in when starting the game.

jett

D-Member
Stallion Free said:

That's how the images looked in the PDF, nothing I can do about that. Maybe you should've clicked on the link of the post I quoted.

Just beat the game on Normal - 7 hrs. 47 minutes.

I have to say this is a step back from the original Crysis/Warhead imo. The sense of freedom that defined the series just isn't there anymore. A few levels invoked the same feeling, but overall it felt very linear to me. In the original you had sub-objectives you could complete (often taking you far off the main path), which were fun little diversions that added to the story/atmosphere. I enjoyed this exploration in the original - I was hoping to be able to run all over NYC in Crysis 2, but that's not the case.

I also liked the strategic nature of the suit in the original - having to carefully regulate each power separately added a lot of depth to the gameplay. That being said, actual combat is a lot more fun in Crysis 2 and I totally felt like a supersoldier. Which is good, because in the original it was preferable to avoid combat altogether. When the bullets start flying in Crysis 2, it's a total rush.

The story is complete garbage, sorry to say. I have no idea what happened. Which sucks because I really liked how it was presented in the original (not that it was Oscar-worthy or anything).

Technically, the game runs way better and looks really good (I still prefer Warhead's graphics though). The A.I. is very hit or miss, and I ran into a number of bugs like the melee glitch. Nothing serious or game breaking.

Overall, I think Crysis 2 is a great game it just didn't wow me like its predecessors. Especially the end game - both Crysis and Warhead had awesome set pieces that Crysis 2 doesn't even remotely touch. Still, I'm looking forward to my Post-Human run.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jett said:
That's how the images looked in the PDF, nothing I can do about that. Maybe you should've clicked on the link of the post I quoted.
Why would you post them though? They are completely meaningless. The actual PDF has some interesting info, but the shots mean nothing.

jett

D-Member
Stallion Free said:
Why would you post them though? They are completely meaningless. The actual PDF has some interesting info, but the shots mean nothing.

I don't think they are meaningless, they show that the overall image is virtually identical among all three settings, unlike Crysis 1. Turn down your "fucking asshole" level down a notch.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jett said:
I don't think they are meaningless, they show that the overall image is virtually identical among all three settings, unlike Crysis 1. Turn down your "fucking asshole" level down a notch.
Based off those pictures, all the settings look like PS3, PS3, and PS3.

Stallion Free said:

you consider low res textures and lower poly models better? and the lighting is overdone but I guess the best feature of the game. I hope night time levels look better....

Has anyone be able to clearly tell the differences between the 3 settings, I've been toggling between them in my PC and besides the obvious fps increase/decrease I don't see anything major.
Crysis 1 had more differences between settings, that's for sure.

MickeyKnox said:
Crysis Wars was dead in the water because Crytek didn't even bother to stem the flow of hacks that had started popping up in Crysis and a complete lack of interest in improving the netcode and balance. They abandoned the entire thing early.

We went from a deep mp with a learning curve that was too much for people with the attention span of a goldfish, to a fucking nonsense random spawn deathmatch numbers popping up on screen bars being filled definition of a mindless shooter with absolute shite netcode and hit detection.
It's cool that you don't like what most multi-player suites have become in this day and age (Halo and Call of Duty inspired), but tons and tons and tons of other people do. Doesn't mean you have to take a dump on it and say it's the equivalent of "putting your dick in a trashcan full of rats". You use a lot of hyperbole in your posts.

Regardless if you like this type of multi-player or not, objectively speaking it's a really well made suite with a boatload of content for those who like this type of MP.

Flight sims put me to sleep but I'm not going to talk shit about them (unless it's actually a really bad game) because I've accepted that people have different tastes. To each their own...

CozMick

Banned
A few problems that need to patched in the PS3 version.

Total loss of sound when joining an extremely laggy server and voice chat in the squad lobby.

Also what is with the shitty matchmaking? I'm sitting here with 50mb down and 5mb up yet it gives host to someone who gives the entire server red connection bars :(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
jett said:

http://i.imgur.com/XJqJS.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4meLG.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yQmai.jpg[IMG]

They are negligible. Gamer Spec from the dmeo has become High Spec btw. I got 60fps with that one, so I guess it's good enough for me. :P[/QUOTE]
The biggest difference besides LOD and AA used is the lighting, and that is much more noticable in interior and nighttime areas. On extreme nearly every light source casts shadows and you can see it filtering through objects at times. During the day when there is usually only one light source it's not noticeable.

Put a couple hours in last night (360 version) and im loving the combat, either going full stealth or mixing it up. I love when guys are ducking behind a car and cloaking up to it then kicking it into them. About the graphics are good, the lighting is horrible at times, and enemy can be hard to spot in the distance, its almost like they blend in with objects. 3D mode seemed thrown in, tried it out for 5 min then turned it back.

Enosh

well, game should arive tomorow

god I hope it works on my 4850, the demo worked on low but I am realy worried about the SP part...

heyf00L

Einbroch

Banned
The checkpoint system in this game is absolute shit. Clear like 40+ enemies, walk out of said area into a new area, die in two seconds. Reload game, have to do whole thing over again.

I've had to stop playing altogether for the day (the past two days) because it's so frustrating. Good game, but FUCK Crytek and their lack of checkpoints. There's no quicksave on the consoles, folks.

JoeBoy101

Hey, Mickey.

Was working with your settings with POM disabled, and I'm getting some weird noise in the graphics. Like a film grain filter that wasn't there before. I'm underground right now in game so I'm not sure if that's having some kind of effect.

EDIT: Turns out POM has nothing to do with it. Its there, just way more noticeable with POM disabled. Any ideas what's causing it?

Einbroch said:
There's no quicksave in the game, folks.

Fixed.

nyong

Banned
Finally got the PC version installed. Runs butter-smooth on Very High with my 5770. I have no idea why people are complaining about the graphics either. This is probably the most technically impressive PC game I've played in terms of bang for buck. Looks brilliant on my machine and my aging card has no trouble pulling what feels like 60 FPS. It lacks the super open levels of Crysis 1, but even Crysis 1 turned into a corridor shooter around the half-way point. In fact, the late levels of Crysis 1 were downright claustrophobic compared to the stuff I've seen in Crysis 2 so far. Not to mention a large part of the open spaces in the first game were basically wasted space. There's plenty of room to run maneuver around and switch up your approach to combat here. Much more than your typical shooter.

You can see the emphasis on consoles with the gameplay, though. The mouse just feels off, while the 360 controller feels perfect. I'm not really complaining. I typically play my shooters with a mouse/KB, but here the controller feels fine. The suit powers fall right into place and it becomes totally natural switching between them in combat. I'm stringing together suit powers much easier than Crysis 1, which makes the gameplay much more satisfying. In fact, this is easily one of my favorite shooters so far in terms of the gunplay.

My only real complaint so far is the story. The voice acting is a huge step down and the story itself makes little sense. At times the AI can act retarded, but this is still no CoD.

I'll try out the MP a bit later, but so far I'm extremely happy with the purchase and love the direction they took the series.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
mandiller said:
I just thought I'd chime into the thread that I bought the game for the 360 yesterday after umming and arring between the 360 version and the PC version and I'm very impressed with the game. It looks great on my TV. Sure it might have looked a little bit better on my PC, but playing the game on a big screen is awesome..

Buh buh buh comfy couches.

j/k I realize most PC gamers don't game on their TVs.

DangerStepp

evil solrac v3.0 said:
really? I'm at work and I can't see the picture but from what I've seen so far, it's as generic as it can get.
Uh oh, you'd better watch it. You're gonna have Heavy all over you like a reverend on a Satanist.

Mrbob

I still can't log into a game online and I'm starting to get angry. Still getting the serial key is in use error. I tried putting my serial key in lower case didn't help. Also the game is asking for the key from me every single time I want to play multi player. Of course the online land scape on PC right now looks barren. Over 1000 servers and hardly of them look like they are filled.

I believe I'm about halfway done with the campaign now and really enjoying the game. The level of detail and destruction is fairly awesome. I know the nano suit functions were modified from the first game slightly, but I do feel more like a bad ass in Crysis 2 versus the original even in its simplified form. It might be possible the suit doesn't drain energy as fast in Crysis 2 with powers activated. I feel like the game play is Half Life meets Halo, and I'm enjoying the mix. The only thing keeping Crysis 2 campaign from being true elite status is the story. I'm not bothered so much by the story but how it is told. The voice acting is pretty bad. Overall though I can already foresee multiple runs through the campaign.

heyf00L said:
I see High doesn't have global illumination and distant decals (bullet holes).
And Very High has a little bit more LOD than Extreme, but you'd probably never notice.

I notice it. A lot. I'm on a second playthrough, now on Very High, for the 60fps, and trees are switching between 3 LODs right in front of me. Buses also have glaring LOD switches in their interiors (perfect spot to try this is when you open that gate in the beginning of the game and your character looks up, and then you have a street in front of you).

I tried messing around with the earlier provided config - but I either leave object detail = 3 and I don't get 60fps, or I reduced it a lot just to test if it's working and I have entire trucks popping in right in front of me (means the parameters are actually working), or if I increase the LOD distance, nothing happens and the LOD stays the default of when I select Very High.

Anyone knows what settings can I actually mess around with to increase the LOD distance so it atleast isn't extremely obvious?

Sethos

Banned
Multiplayer is great by the way. Quick Match starts a new room search and you end up with like 3 people in the room after 10 minutes, then it kinda grinds to a halt. Looking for actual servers with a light filter ( Region: Europe, Pings below 150 ) and it finds 3-4 servers and despite being at half capacity, it tells me they are full ... mmm

grendelrt

Mrbob said:
I still can't log into a game online and I'm starting to get angry. Still getting the serial key is in use error. I tried putting my serial key in lower case didn't help. Also the game is asking for the key from me every single time I want to play multi player. Of course the online land scape on PC right now looks barren. Over 1000 servers and hardly of them look like they are filled.

I believe I'm about halfway done with the campaign now and really enjoying the game. The level of detail and destruction is fairly awesome. I know the nano suit functions were modified from the first game slightly, but I do feel more like a bad ass in Crysis 2 versus the original even in its simplified form. It might be possible the suit doesn't drain energy as fast in Crysis 2 with powers activated. I feel like the game play is Half Life meets Halo, and I'm enjoying the mix. The only thing keeping Crysis 2 campaign from being true elite status is the story. I'm not bothered so much by the story but how it is told. The voice acting is pretty bad. Overall though I can already foresee multiple runs through the campaign.

I got around it asking for the cd key by doing this (from mycrysis):

1. Start multiplayer enter your key
2. Hit the single player option at the bottom to take you back a screen
3. Hit multiplayer again enter your key again

It saved it for me after doing that

DangerStepp said:
Uh oh, you'd better watch it. You're gonna have Heavy all over you like a reverend on a Satanist.
:( Aww, I'm not that bad am I lol. Been trying to tone it down today after blowin' up yesterday but it ain't easy. *woooosahhh*
Nekrono said:
Some guy over at the inCrysis forums just released this pretty nice tool, im about to try it out right now.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4553/appbeta2.png

[URL="http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33008"]Link[/URL][/QUOTE]
Holy crap niiiice!

Mrbob

grendelrt said:
I got around it asking for the cd key by doing this (from mycrysis):

1. Start multiplayer enter your key
2. Hit the single player option at the bottom to take you back a screen
3. Hit multiplayer again enter your key again

It saved it for me after doing that

Thanks I'll give this a shot when I get home.

DangerStepp said:

I'm ready. I truly believe that this will end up like MGS4, lvoed at the begining and then a couple of years later hated by most of GAF. HOWEVER! I am still early in teh game and I'm heading down to wall street so maybe things will pick up (hopeful) so i will psot my impressions if the game starts getting betetr for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sethos said:
I'm thinking it has to do with them being run through Photoshop first, sharpening, filters, etc. >.>
He downscales from a higher resolution but that's it. He just makes sure take lossless screens.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I'm ready. I truly believe that this will end up like MGS4, lvoed at the begining and then a couple of years later hated by most of GAF. HOWEVER! I am still early in teh game and I'm heading down to wall street so maybe things will pick up (hopeful) so i will psot my impressions if the game starts getting betetr for me.
You're exactly where the game picked up for me. It gets a ton better from there.

Kyaw

@ DennisK4

Did you magically fix the blurry TAA or used Supersampling for those extra sharp visuals?
And please post more! :D

MisterAnderson said:

Huge bug. Lots of others in this thread with the same bug.

Nekrono said:
Some guy over at the inCrysis forums just released this pretty nice tool, im about to try it out right now.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4553/appbeta2.png

[URL="http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33008"]Link[/URL][/QUOTE]

Woah, badass. Only took 2 days too.

Saving that link for when I'm able to play it. Thank you very much for letting us know.

Insayne

I am currently uploading comparison screenshots of the specs (default settings) in uncompressed BMP captured by FRAPS :) Hope someone's interested :)

Top Bottom