• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Zomba13

So... Preordered on the EAstore and they've given me a key for Crysis 1 download which I already own. PM me if you want the code. First come first served.

EDIT: Been given away.

thelastword said:
Is this the comparison that some here were waiting for? I'm sorry, but Digital Foundry's writeup always seem to be skewed to the 360's favor
Not at all. Depends what you prefer. I chose the 360 reason for the reasons mentioned. But i would love the best of both worlds

scitek

Here's a before and after using the config linked from the last page with FOV at 75, PostMSAA off and MLAA on:

Before:

crysis2.exe_2011-03-242n98.png

After:

crysis2.exe_2011-03-24qyg0.png

Mrbob

I hate to get into this console battle conversation, but why did Digital Foundry give the 360 the frame rate edge if the PS3 version has better playable minimum frame rates? It would seem more important to me to have a higher frame rate when there is heavy action.

StuBurns

Banned
Mrbob said:
I hate to get into this console battle conversation, but why did Digital Foundry give the 360 the frame rate edge if the PS3 version has better playable minimum frame rates? It would seem more important to me to have a higher frame rate when there is heavy action.
It's personal preference.

Would you theoretically rather have 25fps for 12 hours, or 60fps for 11.5 hours and 15fps for the remaining 0.5 hours?

You could say one is more consistent, but it's also for the most part worse.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Mrbob said:
Which is why I got the PS3 version today and sent back the PC version to amazon. Too many glitches in PC version.

5 hours into the game and the story, if you can call it that, is downright boring.
like, the hippie scientist loves squid man! they seriously ran out of ideas that I ahd to go to the guy's lab to blow up 'cause he forgot? awful.

firefights are a bit more intense but only because of the having to kill every enemy bit before being able to advance (I'm looking at you helicopter) otherwise it's like shooting at paper targets. no real exciliration to combat.

the collapsed highway section was ok but the driving part was pointless. I didn't "need" a vehicle. I could have done all that on foot but the way the game is designed, I would not have been able to defeat those two tanks at that point in time.

question, am I supposed to be able to collect alien DNA or whatever it is to upgrade the suit or did I run into a glitch?

everything continues to be "OK" in this game, just not downright great like part 1 and the enemy AI is downright awful on veteran. I shot a guy in the chest and he kept patrolling like nothing happened. I did this to two other guys who died and the other man just kept walking like nothing happened. and when is this going to start looking like the real new york? this is as generic a New York city as I've ever seen.

Mrbob

StuBurns said:
It's personal preference.

Would you theoretically rather have 25fps for 12 hours, or 60fps for 11.5 hours and 15fps for the remaining 0.5 hours?

You could say one is more consistent, but it's also for the most part worse.

But it isn't a 30 frame difference here. We are talking about roughly 2 frames. I'm not saying the PS3 version is better but I'd say this is more of a push.

CozMick

Banned
Here's a tip for anyone playing the PS3 version in 1080p.

Lower the resolution to 720p by forcing it on the xmb, the clarity is alot cleaner and the framerate is improved.

Don't expect miracles but it s definitely an improvement

scitek said:
Here's a before and after using the config linked from the last page with FOV at 75, PostMSAA off and MLAA on:
you have to manually set the nearfov once in game as it won't stick from the .cfg

console then r_drawnearfov 72

StuBurns

Banned
Mrbob said:
But it isn't a 30 frame difference here. We are talking about roughly 2 frames.
Indeed, and it's still down to personal preference. I think a more consistent but lower framerate is preferable, but that's in no way a fact, he just leaned the other side.

JoeBoy101 said:
Alright. If that's your autoexec, what does your system.cfg file look like?
It's just the default info
Code:
; crysis2

sys_game_folder=GameCrysis2
sys_dll_game=CryGameCrysis2.dll
sys_user_folder=Crysis2

r_ShaderCompilerServer=192.168.14.180;192.168.14.181

log_IncludeTime = 1
sys_languages = "english,french,spanish,german,turkish,russian,polish,italian,czech,japanese,chineseT"

log_verbosity = 0

r_displayInfo = 1

sys_PakLogInvalidFileAccess=0
sys_float_exceptions=0

g_language = English

CozMick said:
Here's a tip for anyone playing the PS3 version in 1080p.

Lower the resolution to 720p by forcing it on the xmb, the clarity is alot cleaner and the framerate is improved.

Don't expect miracles but it s definitely an improvement

Just done this and it works, seems less blurry without a doubt in mp. Looks like it has the ac2 thing going on when it scales to 1080p that also added extra blur etc to the image in that res. Framerate seems a tad better also in mp having done this. Just a bit of a fuck on having to force the dash down to 720p to get it to work.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Always-honest said:
but there are WAAAAAAAAAAY more jaggies in the "after" image.
that's not right is it?
There's a good chance MLAA wasn't being applied properly. It's not a perfect implementation for all games.

Can't log in with my existing mycrysis account. Don't tell me this is the same shit as with Crysis 1?

I am able to log in on the site. Downloaded the game of steam.

Any pointers on how to fix this?

scitek

Always-honest said:
but there are WAAAAAAAAAAY more jaggies in the "after" image.
that's not right is it?

No, it is right. That one section in particular has way more jaggies because of the shutters and fence on the left. In motion it's much cleaner and for the most part, it's less blurry. the default settings do a pretty amazing job at AA, it's just the ghosting that annoys me to no end.

mbmonk

Lostconfused said:
Welp I can't. I tried turning it on or using the weapon while in armor mode and it just boots me right out of it. Dead in seconds flat. Have to make sure every enemy is dead before even thinking about going anywhere near it.

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought it was design decision and not a bug as well.

But basically you can press the melee key and rip it off the mount and carry it around. It's better used in that manner anyway. At that point you can use all your suit powers. So that is how I got around it.

Darkkn

While the game is quite different from first Crysis, this is soo much better than your Cods or Halos. Nanosuit combined with Mirror's Edge -lite travel capabilities and quite large sandbox areas really gives player the freedom of tackling each situation in unique way.

Game looks amazing in motion, screenshots don't do game justice. I really like playing with 360 controller on PC and it would be cool if there was 'controller only' option in server browser. Playing with controller online is fine, but kb+mouse definitely have big edge :(

I'm messing around in Catalyst and don't know what the shit I'm doing or what half the terms mean. I've never tweaked settings in Catalyst for fear of messing something up and then forgetting what I changed. GPU is an xfx 5770 1gb

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Stallion Free said:
MLAA isn't as good as TSAA or TRAA or whatever it's called. Both make the image less sharp though.

To be honest. I think the first shot looks great. I don't know why folks would need to improve on that.

Sethos

Banned
Heavy said:
I'm messing around in Catalyst and don't know what the shit I'm doing or what half the terms mean. I've never tweaked settings in Catalyst for fear of messing something up and then forgetting what I changed. GPU is an xfx 5770 1gb

Get RadeonPro, it touches the same settings but with a much better explanation and even some hover-over text.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What the fuck I just lost almost 10000 nano points that I was saving for the Stealth enhance. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LET A BUG LIKE THAT HAPPEN. I had been saving up for the last couple levels.

Peterthumpa

cyberheater said:
To be honest. I think the first shot looks great. I don't know why folks would need to improve on that.
Framerate maybe?

By the way, is the framerate better with only MLAA?

My rig is a 5870 with a i7 @ 3GHz and @ 1600x900 with Extreme, I have some pretty noticiable framerate drops sometimes. Not game breaking, but perceivable.

Stallion Free said:
What the fuck I just lost almost 10000 nano points that I was saving for the Stealth enhance. HOW THE FUCK DO YOU LET A BUG LIKE THAT HAPPEN. I had been saving up for the last couple levels.

am I able to collect the points from every single alien? because I only got from two of the four that I have fought so far.

Sethos said:
Get RadeonPro, it touches the same settings but with a much better explanation and even some hover-over text.
Ok I'll try it, thanks.
Also just noticed it's Catalyst version 10.9. I thought Steam was automatically updating, maybe I turned it off. Current version is 11.2...lol.

Stallion Free said:
I guess it seemed like a minor bug that they didn't really care enough to fix before shipping the game. Maybe they will patch it at the same time as they patch in the DX11 support.

Gvaz

Banned
grendelrt said:
Did you reverse the pics? The after looks much worse.......
That's because the after one is at 75 FOV.

This game obviously doesn't do FOV properly, what you want is horizontal? FOV like with Bad Company 2.

so at 1920x1200 or 16:10 you want like a 59 FOV.

Otherwise you get the fisheye effect like in that second picture, which is why it looks like shit.

scitek

felipepl said:
Framerate maybe?

By the way, is the framerate better with only MLAA?

My rig is a 5870 with a i7 @ 3GHz and @ 1600x900 with Extreme, I have some pretty noticiable framerate drops sometimes. Not game breaking, but perceivable.

It's about the same for me. I just don't like the PostMSAA being on because it ghosts like hell and makes me sick. MLAA is rough around some edges but easier for me to look at long-term. It also doesn't have that smear effect.

Presco

Only read the last page so sorry if this has been addressed recently...

Have the PC servers been working today? I tried to get into games for over 2 hours last night and none of the ranked servers were working at all. Had some pretty epic lobby chats with a bunch of frustrated dudes that made for good entertainment but I'd really like to play the game tonight.

IMACOMPUTA

Hey guys, guess what?
Screenshots don't do this game justice.

It looks incredible in motion. Sure, the textures arent as high-res as Crysis 1, and it's a little blurry...
But in my opinion it's a much more enjoyable experience... because it actually runs well, and looks DAMN good.

Also, I beat both warhead and crysis 1, and i'm enjoying this game much more than both. It's linear, yeah, but broken up into arenas where you can freely fight how you want.

I think it works really well, and helps with the pacing and excitement. It's a good mix of freedom/pacing.

Please don't complain about the graphics until you've seen it in motion. Screenshots are often misleading for any game.

Peterthumpa

scitek said:
It's about the same for me. I just don't like the PostMSAA being on because it ghosts like hell and makes me sick. MLAA is rough around some edges but easier for me to look at long-term. It also doesn't have that smear effect.
Well, that's a bummer.

Strangely enough, my FPS usually drops happens inside confined places or big corridors, like the parking lot from the second (?) mission and the begining of the third or 4th mission just before you see the cutscene with the helicopter and 2 guys taking off.

evil solrac v3.0 said:
am I able to collect the points from every single alien? because I only got from two of the four that I have fought so far.
Yeah, you have to collect them from the body. You can't wait too long or the cloud with the points will disappear. So don't go sniping things if you're looking for points because you might not get there in time. Sometimes they seem to get stuck in the ground and I couldn't collect them.

Even the bugs give points, which is almost a mini-game in itself chasing them down.

LowParry

So I put in some time with SP (figured what the hell, why not). Started with normal. The AI is a mixed bag. Though they have eyes that see through everything I swear. I found that messing around with AI movement was amusing. They'd get stuck in bushes or run around small objects that have no meaning. Maybe I should of gone with a higher difficulty, but the overall sense is stealth, run, hide, regen. Repeat. This is of course the easy route to go. As someone mentioned before about vehicles, they're dumb and pointless. Get in, move about 20 feet forward. You're stuck. Move on.

The story is alright so far. I'm probably about 2 hours in. The set pieces are really good looking. Though when it comes to a gun fight straight on fight, the framerate really falls down hard. I'll probably work more on the SP this weekend. Suppose I should read the story with the first to get a better feel of who the hell is who and what they did in the past.

grendelrt

Jay Shadow said:
Yeah, you have to collect them from the body. You can't wait too long or the cloud with the points will disappear. So don't go sniping things if you're looking for points because you might not get there in time. Sometimes they seem to get stuck in the ground and I couldn't collect them.

Even the bugs give points, which is almost a mini-game in itself chasing them down.

I didnt know the bugs gave points, I am so chasing those suckers down now.....

Sh1ner

IMACOMPUTA said:
Hey guys, guess what?
Screenshots don't do this game justice.

It looks incredible in motion. Sure, the textures arent as high-res as Crysis 1, and it's a little blurry...
But in my opinion it's a much more enjoyable experience... because it actually runs well, and looks DAMN good.

Also, I beat both warhead and crysis 1, and i'm enjoying this game much more than both. It's linear, yeah, but broken up into arenas where you can freely fight how you want.

I think it works really well, and helps with the pacing and excitement. It's a good mix of freedom/pacing.

Please don't complain about the graphics until you've seen it in motion. Screenshots are often misleading for any game.

Do you see yourself enjoying it as much on the next replay and so on? thats what I love about crysis, I can play so differently each time. I don't expect the Crysis 2 to hold up on that. Not saying its bad, my copy unlocks tonight > Steam :(

I was watching some pretty sweet footage on Youtube earlier. I'm starting to come around to the idea that this is a different type of experience for Crysis and anticipating it for different reasons.

I'm quite gutted I'm in the middle of building a new PC and won't be able to play it until next week at the earliest now :(

Top Bottom