• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

xemumanic

I've got a.............

Intel Core 2 Duo e6850 3.0Ghz
4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
MSI GTX 560 Ti 1GB Twin Frozer II (OC to 880MHz)
Windows 7 SP1
And a 1080p LCD display

What sort of performance should I expect?

xemumanic said:
I've got a.............

Intel Core 2 Duo e6850 3.0Ghz
4GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
MSI GTX 560 Ti 1GB Twin Frozer II (OC to 880MHz)
Windows 7 SP1
And a 1080p LCD display

What sort of performance should I expect?

Very good performance. RAM is a bit slow and CPU isn't amazing but it will still run great.

derFeef said:
Tell me your secrets, then. Is it really Cloak - pop enemy, cloak, pop enemy... ?

ive done a little bit of that depending on the situation. but ive also just thrown on armour and gone up against 8 guys head on and had little to no trouble removing them all from their heads without my energy running out

Have you got all your armour bonuses on and stuff? bullet tracing etc.

burgerdog

All settings on High using the tool. No idea what happened with the first shot's water.

MSAA: 0, Edge: 0
c2fjfd.jpg

MSAA: 4, Edge: 0
c2.1pjs9.jpg

MSAA: 4, Edge: 0 - Assuming Dennis is using the tool to modify his config then TAA is still on, judging from this additional shot I took to prove it.
c2.208b0.jpg

derFeef

Marshmellow said:
ive done a little bit of that depending on the situation. but ive also just thrown on armour and gone up against 8 guys head on and had little to no trouble removing them all from their heads without my energy running out

Have you got all your armour bonuses on and stuff? bullet tracing etc.
I only have 1 armour upgrade yet. I miss the escape options from Crysis 1 I think. I could run away and hide. Here, there are enemies everywhere and energy drains fast if you get shot by 4 guys at once and the space for failure is veeery tight.

derFeef

luka said:
You don't have to uncloak to fire a suppressed weapon anymore.
I know, but it still drains energy and if you want to eliminate more of one in a sweep and there is nothing left for armour then and I have to retreat. It feels much more tiresome than C1 somehow. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Sethos

Banned
As soon as I start messing with the options in that tool, it's like everything in-game starts "vibrating" really furiously, hard to explain - Looking at something far away almost looks like a vibrating flicker of sorts. Even get this weird ghost border, not a trail on my guns - Like a short retention of where the weapon was, looks horrendous.

I'm about halfway in the SP and love the game ( on 360 ).

This afternoon I played the 360 version at a friend in 3D Side By Side with shutter glasses on a Panasonic VT 20 Plasma and it looked fucking awesome , I want that TV dammit !

Dennis

Banned
Now that the major issues have been solved (bye bye vaseline) the remaining issues are:

1. Low resolution textures

2. HUD

3. Ridiculously large guns that take up half the screen.

Seems like things that can be fixed by mods.

Blizzard

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Dennis, would you mind uploading a couple of them at the original resolution? I am curious how much of the sharpness comes from the downsampling. Also, do you use Photoshop for the resize, or a different tool (I forget if you mentioned). Also, what size is your 1600p monitor? Are the pixels super tiny so it actually looks sharp when you play it?

Thanks! :D

derFeef said:
I only have 1 armour upgrade yet. I miss the escape options from Crysis 1 I think. I could run away and hide. Here, there are enemies everywhere and energy drains fast if you get shot by 4 guys at once and the space for failure is veeery tight.

Umm. try using the cover system a bit? its somewhat clunky but useful.
also if possible, when ur cloaked, throw on armour just b4 you shoot. saves wasting your entire energy bar which is expended when you shoot from stealth

Dennis

Banned
Blizzard said:
Dennis, would you mind uploading a couple of them at the original resolution? I am curious how much of the sharpness comes from the downsampling. Also, do you use Photoshop for the resize, or a different tool (I forget if you mentioned). Also, what size is your 1600p monitor? Are the pixels super tiny so it actually looks sharp when you play it?

Thanks! :D
Yes I use Photoshop for the resize. 30" inch monitor. 0.250 dot pitch if I recall correctly.

Been playing this for awhile, not quite feeling it yet, i really really miss the flick of the wrist quick suit mode changing i did in the first, the new methods of using the suit feel alien so it may just be me needing to play it more.

The AI just seems dumb as fuck, ive been in someones face, staring at them for seconds and they just stare back, and currently the humans have no character to them unlike the Koreans, i think mainly because they had a face and shown the many emotions of having a heaving ass kicker grabbing them by the throat.

Its also so far been very, very linear, i really hope it opens up further on because its very CoD'ish so far, i also hated being limited at the start from suit powers, dont give me a compound of bad guys when i cant use everything to crush them. The delay in pulling out the binocs is a pain too.

Graphics are stunning, no complaints there, smooth as butter too.

Also regarding Prophet
Nooooooo ! That was painful :( So long old chum, maybe in the future you will be seen as the PC and Alcatraz the console, with the intro as a sign of the times. Just kidding :p

And finally, can i kick people like in the intro cinematic ? When can i do the ground pound ?

Sethos

Banned
So all this tool messing seems to be effin' up the game for me, with weird trails, retentions, jumping objects and whatnot.

I'll stick to this autoexec

g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=70
r_DrawNearFoV=70
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=70
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0

Blizzard

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Yes I use Photoshop for the resize. 30" inch monitor. 0.250 dot pitch if I recall correctly.
Thanks. But on your monitor they don't look jaggy to you when you play?

The second picture has a weird pattern in the sky too, but I'm guessing that's maybe a JPEG artifact even with a 6MB JPEG, lol.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's a pretty cool tool. All it does is create an autoexec.cfg right? Not mess with any other files? What are the default "extreme" settings in the tool? Everything on high? I turned everything to high there and removed motion blur and AA stuff and it seems to perform worse so something of all that is lower on Extreme normally?

Dennis

Banned
Blizzard said:
Thanks. But on your monitor they don't look jaggy to you when you play?

The second picture has a weird pattern in the sky too, but I'm guessing that's maybe a JPEG artifact even with a 6MB JPEG, lol.
Well, I can usually tell when there is no AA but often I can tolerate playing without because the sheer pixel density reduces the visabilty of the jaggies.

JoeBoy101

I am fucking done with this game now. At least for the time being.

First no DX11.
Then the melee glitches and I can't melee opponents anymore.
Then all the nano collectors I've saved up disappear after I leave the game.
NOW, the game won't recognize any nano collectors I pick up!

Fuck this game until it gets its shit together, FFS! I'll go play Sims and Sacred 2 and some other games until a patch or two comes out for this piece of shit.

epmode

DennisK4 said:
Well, I can usually tell when there is no AA but often I can tolerate playing without because the sheer pixel density reduces the visabilty of the jaggies.
I do the same thing. 2560x1600 for life.

killing the post MSAA and using MLAA instead is preferable to me personally. wish i had a way of taking screens with the MLAA on, and obviously it has some issues, but i'll take the sub pixel aliasing and mangled menus over the soft look of everything that extreme's post MSAA gives things.

MRORANGE

dread to ask:

q6600 oc to 3.0ghz
2gb ram (YES I KNOW - I had xp before and it ran ok, and it still does)
ati 4850
win7

so playable for me at lowest settings at 1680x1050?

MRORANGE said:
dread to ask:

q6600 oc to 3.0ghz
2gb ram (YES I KNOW - I had xp before and it ran ok, and it still does)
ati 4850
win7

so playable for me at lowest settings at 1680x1050?

You'll get Medium at the least. Not sure about the resolution if you've got a 512mb 4850. You can probably get it to look better if you mess with the config and tweak everything. Everything looks good except maybe the RAM.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ridiculous. Encountered game crippling bug on 360. Im on Lab Rat mission right around the helicopter and my auto-save insta-hard locks my system when i try to load it. I see a little bit of the screen and then freeze. My console is fine. This is something in the code locking up.

Im gonna have to do this shit over again.

Insayne

Heavy said:
GREAT pics, thanks.

Big differences in this set:
Code:
http://www.insayne.net/Crysis2/6-high.bmp
http://www.insayne.net/Crysis2/6-veryhigh.bmp
http://www.insayne.net/Crysis2/6-extreme.bmp
(I put it in code in case you don't want direct links to you site)

So why does Very high seem sharper than Extreme in that set (compare blue building in the background and the trees/bushes)? I've noticed it in other peoples pics too

I believe it has to do with the Motion Blur used - I think Extreme in motion looks better, albeit blurrier. It has a more natural feel to it - but it requires a high framerate in order to be worth it. Thats my opinion :) As to why they chose that, no idea :)

Oneself

I never played the original but I must say I'm quite entertained by Crysis 2 so far. I'm playing on PS3 and I'm surprised by how good it looks, this is quite rare for a multiplatform game..

What's great and strange about this game is that it reminded me of many great games... to name a few, it's as if I played parts of Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, COD4, The Darkness, Fear, Condemned, Perfect Dark & Mirror's Edge within 2 hours or so. Also, the soundtrack is reeeeally good so far. :)

MRORANGE

riceandbeans said:
You'll get Medium at the least. Not sure about the resolution if you've got a 512mb 4850. You can probably get it to look better if you mess with the config and tweak everything. Everything looks good except maybe the RAM.

that's ok, at least it should be playable, I knew I should ahve got som ddr2 sticks when they were cheap.

Sh1ner

Casp0r said:
Same as you ... why can't I play :(

Cryteks final ace in the hole, LAUGH WHILE U CAN CRYTEK THIS GAME SHALL BE MINE!

edit: its up and free, ITS MINE NOW CRYTEK, you can't take it back

grendelrt

So first crossfire doesnt work, so I disable one card and have to play at half the FPS. Then nano catalysts randomly disappear and now no longer collect for me. I was pissed, but then said hey I can try multiplayer again. It took me 45 min to finally get on a server where the game actually starts and doesn't just sit there with no countdown (or get stuck at 1 sec). This is possibly the buggiest/worst launch of a non MMO game I have ever played. I want to play so bad, been waiting for this game for years, and everything is fucking broken.

Top Bottom