• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Sh1ner

mine is decrypting.... stuck at 15% for a while, I may have broke it. I had to restart steam and right click on crysis 2 in my library to see play game.

Majanew

Banned
Um, I have a serious problem (360 version). I can do everything in the game except resume my campaign! Everytime it gets to this screen (posted below), it just turns the screen black and it looks to make my receiver lose connection to my 360! This isn't happening anywhere else with the game or any other game! WTF?! I have to power my 360 off from the power button on the system and reboot. This is fucked up. Just plugged it straight into my HDTV - same problem.

2djxlwp.jpg

grendelrt said:
So first crossfire doesnt work, so I disable one card and have to play at half the FPS.

What magical crossfire setup do you have that gives double the performance of a single card?

sorry for double-post

Casp0r

Banned
Sh1ner said:
mine is decrypting.... stuck at 15% for a while, I may have broke it. I had to restart steam and right click on crysis 2 in my library to see play game.

Welcome to the club ... this always fucking happens ...

Guess I'll just re download it in the morning.

Tom Penny

How come when you choose to replay a mission is says "by starting a new game you will lose all your previous progress" I just want to replay a mission not start a new game. I don't get it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, how do I get my IQ to look like Dennis? How do I get rid of the dog ugly TSAA blur? Do I need to use that tool? Halp me GAF.

As for the game, it's certainly fun, but I already have very mixed opinions and I can see myself walking away from this with a similar mindset to the original Crysis; liking a lot, and disliking an equal amount. They've improved some stuff here, and then gone and made some other stuff worse.

Also, why in all mighty fuck did they remove first person vehicle cameras?

grendelrt

LaserBuddha said:
What magical crossfire setup do you have that gives double the performance of a single card?

sorry for double-post

Not magic, i was getting almost a 100% scale but all lighting flickers. Say i was at 71FPS I dropped to 37-38 after disabling crossfire (5970 btw). Simple fact is i could run 60FPS vsync with crossfire, I can only hit 30s, maybe low 40s without it. And my scaling is not unusual, heres a nice thread that is 23 pages of people with similiar problems.

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10994&start=220

My steam crysis always re-downloads the last 0.1% of the game when I click play.

Damn steam, you buggy shit.

And the game never saves my serial key for online play.

Casp0r

Banned
Sh1ner said:
Wait what? wtf do you mean always? someone give this person A VOICE!

Yeah whenever I pre-order a game and try to start it the moment it unlocks the decryption process glitches out and doesn't work. I just end up redownloding it, thank god for unlimited download limits :D

Casp0r said:
Welcome to the club ... this always fucking happens ...

Guess I'll just re download it in the morning.

umm guys. just set it to decrypt and walk away for 10 minutes. it IS working, jsut doesnt move percentage.

Sh1ner

Casp0r said:
Yeah whenever I pre-order a game and try to start it the moment it unlocks the decryption process glitches out and doesn't work. I just end up redownloding it, thank god for unlimited download limits :D

son of a bitch, I am off to london tomorrow after work, then to Paris, I was hoping for an hour of fun after slaving away for the past 5 days. God damnit Crytek, you win this round but the war.... its not over.

edit: checked steam crysis 2 forums - It stays on 15% for about 10 mins and then almost instantly finishes.

edit 2: another post from the forums - Whoop! Unlocked...Oh wait just another 340 MB update straight after install and after the initial pre-load! Brilliant

Sh1ner said:
son of a bitch, I am off to london tomorrow after work, then to Paris, I was hoping for an hour of fun after slaving away for the past 5 days. God damnit Crytek, you win this round but the war.... its not over.

edit: checked steam crysis 2 forums - It stays on 15% for about 10 mins and then almost instantly finishes.

just wrote that for you above lol. it also may sit on the opening for a little while when u boot the game. if it doesnt load or CTD restart steam and boot the game again and itll work.

Ahahahaha nice job crytek. Yeah screw monster closest lets just spawn enemies right in the middle of the map when you are looking right at them haha.

Blizzard

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Ahahahaha nice job crytek. Yeah screw monster closest lets just spawn enemies right in the middle of the map when you are looking right at them haha.
Left 4 Dead (2) and the director were the most evil with that technique. "Oh, you're breezing through the map, trying for nothing special, huh, let's see what you do when a TANK MATERIALIZES TWO FEET IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE" >_>

Dennis

Banned
Gameplay: fantastic

Graphics: looks amazing considering the peformance Can't help but feel CryTek screwed over PC gamers in some respects though. The low-res textures are very big let down. And the shadows are quite weak as well.

Veelk

Banned
Is it just me, or do the cutscenes in this game suck? No one else seems to have mentioned this, but whenever the game goes into cutscene mode, it goes all blocky. Not sure what the technical term for that is, I'm the last person you'd call a graphics buff, but it's very hard to look at. Especially when the game looks so good.

Truespeed

thelastword said:
Is this the comparison that some here were waiting for? I'm sorry, but Digital Foundry's writeup always seem to be skewed to the 360's favor, regardless of the results. His articles are always seasoned with a bit of bias, so it's hard to take him seriously. In this very article, Leadbetter goes on and on about any advantage the 360 has, take for example what he said about the lighting, he said the 360 has better lighting, however the screenshots he used to indicate that prove that the PS3 has more light sources over the 360.

Leadbetter also makes no mention of the better AF in the PS3 version and some of the slightly better textures in the PS3 version.

Water and shadows are better on the PS3, also, texture filtering is also better on the PS3 as well, but he goes about saying this in the most negative and insignificant way. Interesting that leadbetter never touched on AF which also seem to be better in the PS3 version.

Here's leadbetter explaining a PS3 advantage.....

"The implementation of shadow on the two versions also exhibits some interesting, though minor, differences. Again, there seems to be an off-set issue on the PS3 version which occasionally sees sections of some shadows disappear back the artwork (something we saw on the Xbox 360 of Final Fantasy XIII), however, close up, it's clear that shadows are somewhat more blocky and unattractive on the Microsoft console."

however praising the 360 on a feature, he begins like this.....

"In short, then, Xbox 360 benefits from a 25 per cent resolution boost over the PlayStation 3 version of the game. That's a pretty stark statistic, and while it is true that the action generally looks clearer and not quite so blurred on the Xbox 360, it's also the case that when the game is in full flow, the amount of post-processing effects in play, including camera and object-based motion blur, tends to equalise the visuals somewhat."

According to B3D pixel counters the 360 version is 1152*720, even the dev said that in an interview, but Leadbetter is saying it's 720P native on the 360.

He said that both the 360 and PS3 versions are vsynced, yet, the 360 version tears and he calls that insignificant due to where it tears, which is understandable, but the point is it still tears in comparison to a version which has 0 tearing. Let it be known, that enabling vsync can be somewhat of a resource hog on consoles.

In the end, Leadbetter says that the PS3 version maintains a more constant framerate even in high combat scenarios, yet he says it's all insignificant. The point is, the PS3 version could have the extra 3fps peak if vsync was relaxed, but in the end it has a higher low fps point in contrast to the 360.

I've said all this, mainly because I've read some negatives about LOT in this thread, where some people suggest that DF is better. Leadbetter may use more technical terms, but it's more opinionated than what LOT presents. LOT presents the frame analysis, the tearing percentage and indicates through pics where anyone can judge and see better textures, AF, lighting sources etc....Leadbetter just can't seem to hide his bias and in that regard DF has alot to learn in doing a proper comparison.

Personally, I like the idea of this engine, I hate SUB HD games, but I have made an exception here because I think if this engine is properly optimized for future games it could be the best multiplatform engine this gen. Lighting and effects are already top notch, what the consoles need, especially the PS3 version is to be notched up to 1280*720p, lock the framerate at 30 fps and implement MLAA. Perhaps the next CryEngine 3 game will get there, so I do hope the devs are listening.

I don't think I've ever read a faceoff in which Leadbetter was just wrong on so many points. You can tell he doesn't have an editor ;) The 360 resolution error was just bizarre because everyone's known it for some time, but a lot of people just wanted to have it validated by a source they trust. Was it really so difficult to see that the buttons and HUD were a bit stretched? He's since corrected the error, but the article still says that the 360 still enjoys a 12.5% resolution increase over the PS3. I'm not sure what math he was using, but isn't the difference 11.25%.

And it looks like he was also wrong about the AA being used (post MSAA and not TAA), but was so sure of it he even included a reference to Halo Reach). He was right about the frame rate holding up well on the PS3 compared to the 360, but both were pretty bad. There were a lot of 20 FPS moments and the 360 even reached a low of 14 WTF FPS. Crytek obviously doesn't care about performance on consoles because it's all about the graphics. If they did, they would have dialed it down to maintain performance. How can you even ship a game that touches 14 FPS and hovers around 20 when the action starts to pick up. This just goes to prove that eye candy is still greater than performance because unless reviewers are immune to massive frame rate fluctuations it's bewildering how such an inconsistent frame rate could have gone unnoticed by the majority.

His comments on the lighting were also a bit bizarre - even calling the PS3 lighting bugged and flawed. It seemed to me that the PC and PS3 lighting were more similar than the 360 and PC. Does this mean the lighting on the PC is also flawed?

markao

Heavy's Sandvich said:
Still stuck on 15% over here.

I've restarted it as well :(
Leave it going, yesterday was the same for me and other PAL guys. It look nothing happens for a while and than after few minutes all done.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
Gameplay: fantastic

Graphics: looks amazing considering the peformance Can't help but feel CryTek screwed over PC gamers in some respects though. The low-res textures are very big let down. And the shadows are quite weak as well.

Again, what are you using to remove TSAA? Are you using the community program that was post a few pages back?

Generic said:
Is it just me, or do the cutscenes in this game suck? No one else seems to have mentioned this, but whenever the game goes into cutscene mode, it goes all blocky. Not sure what the technical term for that is, I'm the last person you'd call a graphics buff, but it's very hard to look at. Especially when the game looks so good.

It's simply pre-rendered video, where the compression and/or lower resolution is noticeable.

Thanks, Bink!

X-Frame

LaserBuddha said:
It's simply pre-rendered video, where the compression and/or lower resolution is noticeable.

Thanks, Bink!

Why are companies in 2011 using the type of video that looks so out of place?

Is it just to save disc space?

Gvaz

Banned
Igor Antunov said:
My steam crysis always re-downloads the last 0.1% of the game when I click play.

Damn steam, you buggy shit.

And the game never saves my serial key for online play.

That's probably the .exe that's being redownloaded that is now decrypted.

Truespeed

Generic said:

They used a low quality encode for their FMV's to save on disc space I guess. Not sure why they didn't jack it up on the PS3 since they're already including DTS, 5.1LPCM, 7.1LPCM in addition to Dolby Digital.

Tom Penny

So has anyone replayed previous missions on the PS3. I'm afraid to lose my campaign data with the stupid warning "by starting a new game you will lose all your previous progress"

Waaghals

Truespeed said:
They used a low quality encode for their FMV's to save on disc space I guess. Not sure why they didn't jack it up on the PS3 since they're already including DTS, 5.1LPCM, 7.1LPCM in addition to Dolby Digital.

The 360 game is only 5.5 GB. It's probably not about space. Bink has only one advantage; it is fast. It allows you to do loading in background while playing a video. Modern codecs require more memory/CPU power, and as a result they are probably tricky to get to run while the next level is loading..

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Tom Penny said:
So has anyone replayed previous missions on the PS3. I'm afraid to lose my campaign data with the stupid warning "by starting a new game you will lose all your previous progress"
Your purchased abilities and weapon attachments are persistent, so you won't lose anything except your mid-level checkpoint.

And BINK sucks so goddamn much. It's not as offensive when it's overlayed on the HUD while you're playing, but it was terrible when the entire ending sequence was an in-engine BINK FMV that looked way worse than what I had just been playing.

Waaghals said:
The 360 game is only 5.5 GB. It's probably not about space. Bink has only one advantage; it is fast. It allows you to do loading in background while playing a video. Modern codecs require more memory/CPU power, and as a result they are probably tricky to get to run while the next level is loading..
The thing is, they don't do any loading during the FMVs. The between level cutscenes still cut to a loading screen afterwards.

This is one of the longest FPS games I have played in a while. It feels like I've been playing it for 15 hours. More FPS games need to be like this.

I'm having so much fun with this game right now.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DennisK4 said:
huh?

You mean Crossfire breaks the water? Otherwise, Crossfire does work - I get a massive boost.
Yeah, I was getting visual glitches until I turned it off.

Truespeed

Waaghals said:

You're right. I just remembered KZ3 uses it and it's probably the only reason they used it. But couldn't they have still cranked up the bit rate on the PS3?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What do I choose in that Crysis 2 tweaking utility to get the same result as default "Extreme" setting? I just want to remove the intro and maybe motion blur and such.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
When does the game open up? I'm heading to the FDR drive, basically in tunnels.

The worst addition is the stupid talking suit.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
In a couple chapters. Once you head toward Wall Street there's some big open areas then it gets narrow again, then opens up again. I'm about 2/3 of the way through so I don't know if it keeps shifting like this or if it stays open. The quality of the game dramatically increases once you're off the FDR, even in the narrower sections. I wasn't feeling the game too much until after that and now I'm loving it.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Majanew said:
Um, I have a serious problem (360 version). I can do everything in the game except resume my campaign! Everytime it gets to this screen (posted below), it just turns the screen black and it looks to make my receiver lose connection to my 360! This isn't happening anywhere else with the game or any other game! WTF?! I have to power my 360 off from the power button on the system and reboot. This is fucked up. Just plugged it straight into my HDTV - same problem.

2djxlwp.jpg

Here is my post from last page. Sounds like a bad bug is floating around out there. You are gonna have to restart your last level from the campaign menu.

~Kinggi~ said:
Ridiculous. Encountered game crippling bug on 360. Im on Lab Rat mission right around the helicopter and my auto-save insta-hard locks my system when i try to load it. I see a little bit of the screen and then freeze. My console is fine. This is something in the code locking up.

Im gonna have to do this shit over again.

I gotta say I'm impressed with this game on PC. I really love getting a height advantage and popping out of stealth to blow everything in sight. Game really picks up after the first few levels. The graphics are the best I've seen. My only issue is that the aliens are lifeless compared to the soldiers you fight in the beginning. Always funny to hear them panicking when you slowly take out their squad using stealth.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
RoboPlato said:
In a couple chapters. Once you head toward Wall Street there's some big open areas then it gets narrow again, then opens up again. I'm about 2/3 of the way through so I don't know if it keeps shifting like this or if it stays open. The quality of the game dramatically increases once you're off the FDR, even in the narrower sections. I wasn't feeling the game too much until after that and now I'm loving it.
There are no levels like this one in Crysis 1 except the parts everyone agrees is the worst part of the game! I hope it gets bigger soon. The early game felt bigger.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Y2Kev said:

It never opens up like the first, at least up to the part I've played. It just goes back and forth between tight encounters and arena type encounters.

Y2Kev said:

In terms of the game being open, have you guys noticed and/or are you considering the different paths you can take in certain areas. When it says "tactical options available" and u press "B" (forgot what its called suit vision or whatever) and it shows you path 1/2/3

I really liked this when i got to gould and after everything that happens there you get a choice. Its not as open as Crysis 1, but i don't at all feel confined like i do in CoD or BC2

Top Bottom