• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

scitek

That config program is a fucking godsend.

Am I the only that prefers the shadows on Medium instead of High? They're not smeared to shit and look better to me.

Medium
crysis2.exe_2011-03-25j77a.png

High
crysis2.exe_2011-03-25k753.png

With that graphics application what settings do I have to change to get rid of that TAA or any other kind of vasaline look on the screen?

Motion Blur?
Radial Blur?
MSAA?
Edge AA?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Marshmellow said:
In terms of the game being open, have you guys noticed and/or are you considering the different paths you can take in certain areas. When it says "tactical options available" and u press "B" (forgot what its called suit vision or whatever) and it shows you path 1/2/3

I really liked this when i got to gould and after everything that happens there you get a choice. Its not as open as Crysis 1, but i don't at all feel confined like i do in CoD or BC2
no, it's not a hallway. mostly.

but some of it actually is!

Majanew

Banned
~Kinggi~ said:
Here is my post from last page. Sounds like a bad bug is floating around out there. You are gonna have to restart your last level from the campaign menu.
Yeah, I had to restart. Bastards. lol

Wow this game is awesome.

Played for about 3 hours (xbox) last night and on first loading i was blown away by the graphics. This is definetely the best looking xbox game going around.

I just love the setting, destroyed city is so much more fun then jungle imo, sure alot more restricted to where you can go, but so much more places to hide/plan attacks.

I love the openended engagements in the firefights, not quiet original crysis or halo levels of openness but still damn fun.

I initially started trying to cloak and melee ever single guy but failed a fair while in when a distant sniper spotted me and all hell broke lose.

Thats what i love about the firefights, it can all turn to shit and you have to think on your feet. Im always dreading getting behind cover before cloak runs out, only to realise there is a guy up in the building who has spotted me. So i restart and this time i make it my priority to take out the high ground first.

So many ways to tackle any given area, where its magically discovering tunnels , or just sprinting/sliding under trucks. Its also why i actually love the long checkpoints, becuase if i die i can redo it all again and approach it in a completely different way.

I dont mind that it funnels you into corridors until the next open area as it gives a nice break in the action.

Have not even touched multi yet and i wont until i complete single player (don't know why but its always how i do it :))

Only bug i came across was the glitch where you lose your weapon, i was in a cutscene (weapon holstered) when an enemy spotted me and from then on i had no weapons hehe . Thankfully i just restarted the checkpoint and didnt lose much progress.

I also love the whole upgrade system. Twiddle your fingers and get new powers , it just keeps you in the game, just hold up your hand or gun and adapt on the fly. Great stuff.

I must be the only one who actually doesnt mind the suit voice, really makes me feel like a badass with my suit talking to me. I agree the objectives/scanning gives you a little bit too much information, would be nice if they didnt give you all that info on higher difficulties.

Really hope this sells well. Crytek deserve large sales just on what theyve achieved with the engine alone, but also because the game itself is great.

Probably the best FPS ive played in recent years.

Call me crazy, but the further into the game I get, the uglier it gets (360). Things looked very nice in the early going, but now the stress of the engine trying to do so much at once seems to be showing through. Enemies vanishing into thin air, a clanging sound that started around the 10th level and hasn't really stopped. Ugly textures, crushed blacks, my gun disappearing. Still looks good, but not "best looking console game" good.

TheVampire said:
With that graphics application what settings do I have to change to get rid of that TAA or any other kind of vasaline look on the screen?

Motion Blur?
Radial Blur?
MSAA?
Edge AA?

Disable any and all forms of anti aliasing using that tool. Try to force AA in your driver settings if you need it, or play the game at an epic resolution on an epic screen.

Am I the only that prefers the shadows on Medium instead of High? They're not smeared to shit and look better to me.

In reality shadows ARE smeared most of the time. There is no clear transition. High shadow setting is far more realistic.

Dead

well not really...yet
This has to be the longest FPS ive played in ages.

Im only halfway through the game, but have clocked in close to 8 and a half hours (in game clock read 6 hours 15, but it is way off, guess it doesnt count deaths/reloads/etc)

nib95

Banned
Dead said:

Im only halfway through the game, but have clocked in close to 8 and a half hours (in game clock read 6 hours 15, but it is way off, guess it doesnt count deaths/reloads/etc)

That's brilliant news. Bit disappointed at the diversity in levels, but glad the length is good. last decent length highly varied campaign I played was Gears of War 2. really felt I got my money's worth...well...until I played the awful glitchy mess of a multiplayer that is lol.

Also, based on the above screens, medium shadows does indeed look better than High. High shadows look like they have been excessively softened to the extent they have lost overall shape and clarity.

jackdoe

SpudBud said:
I don't know if anyone every confirmed this but yes, you can stick c4 on guys and throw them and it is indeed awesome.
Seriously? That is awesome. Loved doing it in MGS (minus the throwing obviously).

nib95

Banned
Truespeed said:
I don't think I've ever read a faceoff in which Leadbetter was just wrong on so many points. You can tell he doesn't have an editor ;) The 360 resolution error was just bizarre because everyone's known it for some time, but a lot of people just wanted to have it validated by a source they trust. Was it really so difficult to see that the buttons and HUD were a bit stretched? He's since corrected the error, but the article still says that the 360 still enjoys a 12.5% resolution increase over the PS3. I'm not sure what math he was using, but isn't the difference 11.25%.

And it looks like he was also wrong about the AA being used (post MSAA and not TAA), but was so sure of it he even included a reference to Halo Reach). He was right about the frame rate holding up well on the PS3 compared to the 360, but both were pretty bad. There were a lot of 20 FPS moments and the 360 even reached a low of 14 WTF FPS. Crytek obviously doesn't care about performance on consoles because it's all about the graphics. If they did, they would have dialed it down to maintain performance. How can you even ship a game that touches 14 FPS and hovers around 20 when the action starts to pick up. This just goes to prove that eye candy is still greater than performance because unless reviewers are immune to massive frame rate fluctuations it's bewildering how such an inconsistent frame rate could have gone unnoticed by the majority.

His comments on the lighting were also a bit bizarre - even calling the PS3 lighting bugged and flawed. It seemed to me that the PC and PS3 lighting were more similar than the 360 and PC. Does this mean the lighting on the PC is also flawed?

I agree with these points. And as much as people give LoT slack, I generally prefer their here make of it what you will take on things. DF is more in-depth, but definitely often directed with respect to subjective opinion, and as this example shows again, many an error. Often BIG errors as well.

Nekrono

scitek said:
That config program is a fucking godsend.

Medium
http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2.exe_2011-03-25j77a.png[IMG]

High
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/crysis2.exe_2011-03-25k753.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

No you're not, actually you beat me to post something like this, Medium shadows look much better than High.

bhlaab

Impressions of PC port:

• Prophet is a scabby baby
  • r_PostMSAA=1 or 2 everything is blurry as shit r_PostMSAA=0 everything is jaggy as shit
  • A lot of the effects appear to be much cheaper looking than in Crysis 1. Motion blur is grainy and terrible, soft-shadows and glow effects are dithered like a bad GIF file, HDR appears to be of a much lower quality. Water is much MUCH worse looking, Crysis 1 had some freakin sick water while here it's merely on par. Only the basic environmental lighting appears to be improved.
  • Tactical visor actually inhibits tactics. I hated the numbers when I thought they were just going to show up in the visor. But they actually NEVER GO AWAY. If you look at anything that can be tagged a giant dotted hexagon appears. You end up with so much junk data on your screen that it's hard to keep track of what is actually important.
  • Playing on hardest difficulty, though I might scale it back because I'm seeing zero interesting gameplay changes except the fact that I go down faster. I loved Crysis 1 on Delta so this is a bit of a disappointment. Regen health really stinks, Crysis 1 kind of had it but the mix of quickly regening armor followed by a grace period of health worked. Crysis 2 just does CoD style and it doesn't work.
  • They shouldn't have made Strength mode passive. This whole hold jump to super jump and hold melee to super melee makes me feel like I'm barely in control of what my guy is doing. So far I've accidentally drained a ton of suit energy a ton of times and ended up being caught. Speaking of control issues, there's a half a second delay going in and out of iron sights that feels awful.
  • In Crysis 1 Cloak worked in tandem with the foliage-based stealth from FarCry. Here there isn't foliage and areas aren't big enough to stay out of sight range. So cloaking carries the full weight of the stealth mechanics. If you run out of cloak then that is it stealth is over until you recharge. You probably won't run out if you don't play stupid. It doesn't appear that suit power drains faster on higher difficulties anymore, there is plenty of cover at all times, and it appears that you can upgrade your suit to the point that even that isn't a concern.
  • Cover system is like Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood except less reliable. Here it won't "lock you in" even a little bit, so the result is that you have to scoot yourself to get to the sweet spot where the leaning actually works. After that the camera tilts akwardly with mouse movement. I'm not convinced that the AI is tweaked at all for detecting you in this mode, so you might as well just step out into the open. Much of the cover is typical chest high walls. If you crouch behind it it feels like your head is peeking out a little bit too much. I miss prone. Oh yeah, running makes you stand up so no more doing that cool speed mode snake crawl.
  • The environment is much much MUCH less interactive, which was a huge part of what made Crysis cool and unique. One of the first sandbox encounters has a canopy thing, just like the "Sunrise" area of Crysis 1's first level. In that game you could punch out the struts and make the thing fall down. In Crysis 2 it's a static object that your fists don't so much as dent. A little while later I found myself in a corner store with lots of milk cartons and food boxes and stuff. Can't pick up any of them, which was disappointing. The only times you seem to be able to truly interact with the environment is with scripted "hold melee to kick this car" or "press use to drop the giant billboard on dudes"
  • Armor mode is fucking useless on very hard. Pro tip.

heres my config

Code:
##System Tweaks##
g_skipIntro=1
r_MultiGPU=0
r_MultiThreaded=1

##Input Tweaks##
cl_zoomToggle=0
cl_crouchToggle=1
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
cl_sensitivity 59

##Camera Tweaks##
cl_fov=80
r_DrawNearFoV=59*
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=80

##Basic Graphics Settings##
sys_spec_shading=3
sys_spec_gameeffects=3
sys_spec_objectdetail=3
sys_spec_particles=3
sys_spec_physics=3
sys_spec_postprocessing=3
sys_spec_shadows=3
sys_spec_sound=3
sys_spec_texture=3
sys_spec_water=3

##Anti Aliasing##
r_UseEdgeAA=3
r_PostMSAA=0
r_FSAA= 0

##Advanced Texture Settings##
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_UsePOM=1
d3d9_TextureFilter=trilinear
r_TexturesStreaming=0

##Advanced Shader Settings##
r_motionblur=0
g_radialBlur=1
r_DepthOfField=1
r_Flares=1
r_Glow=0
r_GlowAnamorphicFlares=1
r_HDRRendering=1
r_SSAO=1
q_ShaderHDR=1
r_Reflections=1
r_ColorGrading=1

##Advanced Gameplay Tweaks##
g_useHitSoundFeedback=1

Setting your fov too high causes the camera to clip through the scenery at the corners of the screen FYI

*r_drawnearfov is NOT a functional cvar

Here's a video I quickly captured from the opening stage - the prologue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKAIcypuwjo&hd=1

It was captured from the PC version, using custom config. Everything set to high. Edge AA - disabled / 4x MSAA / FOV -60 / Draw distance / Movement FOV - 80.
Running at 1920 x 1080 res.

Really need a new mouse though as you can tell from this vid, pretty glitchy. Only up to chapter 2 but it's pretty amazing and for some reason reminds me of FEAR, which I love.

bhlaab

Igor Antunov said:
Disable any and all forms of anti aliasing using that tool. Try to force AA in your driver settings if you need it, or play the game at an epic resolution on an epic screen.

Is there a compatability code for Nvidia Inspector?

Y2Kev said:
no, it's not a hallway. mostly.

but some of it actually is!

Even when i get put on a blatant linear path though. it still feels fairly spacious to me on my way there. I mean, Go from Point A to point B and its pretty much a straight line, but still approaching from the left is completely different to approaching from the right, or hell running down the middle.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Here's a picture of a helicopter I destroyed that is slowly ascending to helicopter heaven after loading the last save... It keeps happening.
0a8e3234f8f401aac004f1e50f22b0d8c63395d3.png

What settings should I put into that utility to get the exact "extreme" in game settings again? Anyone? Does it work if I just delete the autoexec? I did but it doesn't seem the same as before tweaking...

360 - should have picked this up on PC. Game looks good for a console, but runs like shit in a lot of places. Single player is definitely better than most other recent console FPS releases, but is a big step back from Crysis.

Got it on console so I could get into MP (suck with KB/M) but this game has some of the worst net code I have ever seen. I just have to quit out of one game after another because most players are just red bars teleporting all over the map. MP gameplay seems like it could be fun, but there is no way I am sticking with this long enough to unlock all of the game modes. If there is a way to fix the net code and make it run without the excessive lag then perhaps I'll remain interested. Otherwise this is a trade in after I beat SP and I'll wait for a Steam sale to pick it up on PC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I just beat the game, here are some thoughts (aka 100% my opinion):

Graphics
I thought the graphical highs in the game were significantly better than anything in Crysis. The new lighting looks incredible in the night levels and certain other parts of the game. It feels truly a generation ahead at times. The lows are lower than Crysis' highs though. There are some levels that don't look quite as good as others and some of the interiors didn't hold up as well as the exteriors.
-TAA: I kinda like it. It's better than MLAA in my book and it worked well with the look of the game. Fuck that ghosting though.
-Textures: Some good, some decent. I didn't see any that looked as bad as the worst in Crysis.
-Weapons: Pretty much all looked great.
-Characters: Pretty much all looked great except for two who looked really bad.
-DOF: The depth of field was fantastic.
-Motion Blur: Wayyyy to excessive.

Sound
God the sound was crisp.
-The weapons sounded great. There was one gun near the end that had burst fire and sweet jesus it was music to my ears.
-The soundtrack was pretty great. I really liked the theme and one piece that was used during a flashback.
-The voice acting was pretty mediocre. I liked the old dude, but everyone else was forgettable.

Story
I fucking hated the story. Tying it into Crysis felt so forced it drove me crazy. I don't know why they even bothered. It was so clear that they didn't have any of this planned when they made Crysis. I kind of liked the simplicity of Crysis' story, but this took it in a needlessly complex direction. It was hard to follow what was going on at times and when everything did become clear it was just like... oh okay. I don't think any of the intended "impact" really worked on me and it just felt like it got in the way of my enjoyment.

Gameplay
In some ways it was better than Crysis, in other ways it was worse.
-Gunplay: I enjoyed it as much as the gunplay in C1. The guns have a decent variety and a nice punchy feel to them.
-Enemies: Humans were as enjoyable as they were in C1 and the aliens were improved. I still got worn out on the aliens though as they had some irritating attacks. I liked that both varieties would catch on to your stealth tactics.
-Powers: I thought the way they had the suit powers function was significantly improved from C1 (for the most part). Putting power jump as holding down the button worked better than double tapping it and the auto-recloak after doing a stealth kill was useful. I think they chose the two right powers (armor & stealth) to build the gameplay around as I used both of these modes a ton in C1. Stealth kills were a good addition that I would have liked in C1. I didn't miss strength. Speed getting gimped made me really depressed though. The zippiness of the Nomad in C1 was a real pleasure so it was a massive step down here.
-Environments: While visually striking, it was sad that they never opened up more than what was shown in the first couple levels. Some of the play spaces are pleasantly open, but just as many are as tight as any Call of Duty game. I can enjoy a linear shooter, but it was disappointing that the Crysis series went further in this direction rather than the opposite. Another issue that got under my skin was level continuity. I hated how level changes led to complete shifts in atmosphere changes and how segmented it made the city feel. Like okay let's end this level here where the player wouldn't assume it and then show a load screen of Alcatraz jettin' through the blocks and drop the player into a completely new area. I would have traded away some of the landmarks they had to go visit if it meant the levels transitioned as they did in the original. It was jarring in a bad way.
-Vehicles: Gratifying with how powerful they were, depressing with how restricted they are.

TL;DR - I thought the graphics were generally improved and the gameplay generally equal to C1 while being a big let down in certain areas.

TUROK

Truespeed said:
I don't think I've ever read a faceoff in which Leadbetter was just wrong on so many points. You can tell he doesn't have an editor ;) The 360 resolution error was just bizarre because everyone's known it for some time, but a lot of people just wanted to have it validated by a source they trust. Was it really so difficult to see that the buttons and HUD were a bit stretched? He's since corrected the error, but the article still says that the 360 still enjoys a 12.5% resolution increase over the PS3. I'm not sure what math he was using, but isn't the difference 11.25%.

And it looks like he was also wrong about the AA being used (post MSAA and not TAA), but was so sure of it he even included a reference to Halo Reach). He was right about the frame rate holding up well on the PS3 compared to the 360, but both were pretty bad. There were a lot of 20 FPS moments and the 360 even reached a low of 14 WTF FPS. Crytek obviously doesn't care about performance on consoles because it's all about the graphics. If they did, they would have dialed it down to maintain performance. How can you even ship a game that touches 14 FPS and hovers around 20 when the action starts to pick up. This just goes to prove that eye candy is still greater than performance because unless reviewers are immune to massive frame rate fluctuations it's bewildering how such an inconsistent frame rate could have gone unnoticed by the majority.

His comments on the lighting were also a bit bizarre - even calling the PS3 lighting bugged and flawed. It seemed to me that the PC and PS3 lighting were more similar than the 360 and PC. Does this mean the lighting on the PC is also flawed?
Shit, nevermind. It doesn't use temporal AA. Or at least not as we know it. Temporal AA blends whole frames, while their AA technique appears to only blend edge samples of their previous frames. It's an honest mistake though, the techniques sound very similar on paper. They both seem to cause ghosting as well.

Also, he mentions there are ISOLATED INSTANCES in which the PS3 version has lighting bugs, bugs which are not present in the 360 or PC versions.

Fuck, everybody's wrong now.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow, I finally got through the sections at
Central Station. The fight outside and inside it were fantastic. The scenes with the civilians there were really well done. I like how this game actually feels like you are fighting for something because of the toll you can see it taking on people other than just the military.

I just stopped when the power went out in Times Square. The lighting was amazing on that part before the lights went out.

nib95

Banned
TUROK said:
He's not wrong about the AA, the game uses temporal AA as well as a post process AA (what you call post-MSAA).

Also, he mentions there are ISOLATED INSTANCES in which the PS3 version has lighting bugs, bugs which are not present in the 360 or PC versions.

So he's not wrong, you are.

If anything, the LoT comparisons showed that both versions have lighting bugs in isolated areas. So it's not exactly unique to the PS3 version. Though this was not mentioned in the article.

Holy mother of god this game is AWESOME! One of the best FPS campaigns I've played in years and I think I'm like a little over halfway done. Soooo long, soo epic, so much damn fun.

Random feedback. I wouldn't read it... probably gonna be too long and boring:

* Overall the textures are better in C2. Remember there's several times the amount of objects, surfaces, and debris to slap textures on compared to the original yet it still maintains the same quality level, and in many instances quite a bit better. Crysis 1 had very inconsistent texture work and the same can be said here but taking into account they had to texture SO much more stuff you gotta give the edge to C2. Check out the barrels, vehicles, many of the surfaces, most of the alien architecture...sharper and more detailed. Barrels were the first thing I noticed lol pick one up and look at the texture

* Lighting is out of this world. Never been a better implementation of lighting in a game, ever.

* The level of detail is nuts. Every area, every building and little store is filled to the brim with detail, objects and interaction. It reminds me of Fallout 3... go into any random house in that game and you'll see all this incredible minute detail and shit to see in every nook & cranny. Makes me appreciate FO3 and New Vegas a bit more, considering their worlds are a few times bigger than Crysis 2. No wonder the graphics looked like shit in those... would've taken forever to develop at a higher fidelity.

* I've noticed AI glitches...guys doing the running man into obstacles and such, pretty bad. But I've also noticed some fantastic AI from the aliens; how they chase and jump all over the place flanking you and getting vertical, better than anything in Crysis 1. But the human AI is shit most of the time. They do flank and change positions, though. If you stay still in an area they WILL eventually scope out other parts of the map, even if you're hiding in cover. One of the early chapters has a good example this... that part where you first get the silencer, go on to the next balcony with the car you can kick off. Hang out there for a couple minutes or maybe kill one dude stealthed + silenced, then let the meter go back to white, and just sit there for a bit and a guy will come all the way up the stairs and through the balcony to check what's up, while the others on the ground start searching. They don't stay static.

* No open vehicle chapters (so far) is a drag and something I definitely miss. I loved that tank level in Crysis. I loved traversing from objective to objective with the humvee. I don't know how the could've implemented this in such a densely populated metropolitan city though

* The areas are plenty big and at least a few times bigger than anything in COD or Killzone campaigns. Many of them are about 2x big as a typical Halo arena and allow you to travel multiple paths. I hear they get a little bigger later on.. we'll see. The game is not a corridor shooter. Call of Duty and Killzone are corridor shooters. Crysis 2 is nothing like those campaigns, whatsoever. It's not as open as Crysis but that doesn't mean it's worse. I'm having much more pure fun with this than the original.

So I just beat the first huge guy, I pick up my 2000 nano from him and while I'm looking at my hand to see what I can afford, a tank bursts through the wall next to me and runs me over while the suit tells my corpse to meet up with the vehicle. I think I already met up with the vehicle just fine.

Tom Penny

Dead said:

Blizzard

Banned
bhlaab said:
[*]The environment is much much MUCH less interactive, which was a huge part of what made Crysis cool and unique. One of the first sandbox encounters has a canopy thing, just like the "Sunrise" area of Crysis 1's first level. In that game you could punch out the struts and make the thing fall down. In Crysis 2 it's a static object that your fists don't so much as dent. A little while later I found myself in a corner store with lots of milk cartons and food boxes and stuff. Can't pick up any of them, which was disappointing. The only times you seem to be able to truly interact with the environment is with scripted "hold melee to kick this car" or "press use to drop the giant billboard on dudes"
Maybe I just got lucky in the part I was watching, but I was impressed with the 360 version that you could turn random PC monitors on and off, pick up the keyboards, and throw them to knock the monitors around. A somewhat silly useless thing for computer keyboards, but it was a nice touch I thought.

Pimpbaa

Blizzard said:
Maybe I just got lucky in the part I was watching, but I was impressed with the 360 version that you could turn random PC monitors on and off, pick up the keyboards, and throw them to knock the monitors around. A somewhat silly useless thing for computer keyboards, but it was a nice touch I thought.

Yeah, interaction seems mostly similar in both games. I don't get that complaint.

Dreohboy

Had an "oh shit" moment the first time three Ceph starting coming at me.

Dead Man Walking is owning me right now.

Love this damn game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Heavy said:
Holy mother of god this game is AWESOME! One of the best FPS campaigns I've played in years and I think I'm like a little over halfway done. Soooo long, soo epic, so much damn fun.
Agreed, I really really like it. The SP was super long for modern FPS standards and I have no qualms with the overall visuals especially considering how well it runs. The lack of options and small conveniences PC gamer's expect is a downer but it doesn't change how incredible the overall game is. I really wish they'd hurry up and fix some of the crippling bugs so I can replay it, but I'm enjoying the MP a lot more than I have with most FPS' lately.

My only real complaint is with the way the game feels, rather than the way it's designed. In C1 you were a freaking ninja, a badass Batman/Predator hybrid on crack. Unlike other modern FPS' you weren't a tank meant to soak up gunfire, you were an insanely agile bastard who could run at 50 scale miles per hour, leap over buildings and execute one man flanking maneuvers in a heartbeat. In that way it felt a lot like older shooters like Doom where your mobility is your biggest strength. In C2 you lose a lot of that feeling, like everything has to be premeditated now. You have more mobility options (slide, ledge grab) but you're less mobile. The armor mode literally turns you into a sluggish tank complete with stomping footsteps. I dunno, it kind of feels like you're just going through the motions, rather than thinking on your feet and reacting on the fly.

Pimpbaa

Stallion Free said:
The lows are lower than Crysis' highs though. There are some levels that don't look quite as good as others and some of the interiors didn't hold up as well as the exteriors.

I don't agree with this, the ice levels in Crysis 1 looked absolutely horrid and performed badly as well (and the flying aliens in those areas was just salt in the wound). I find Crysis 2 to be far more graphically consistent.

Stallion Free said:
-Powers: I thought the way they had the suit powers function was significantly improved from C1 (for the most part). Putting power jump as holding down the button worked better than double tapping it and the auto-recloak after doing a stealth kill was useful. I think they chose the two right powers (armor & stealth) to build the gameplay around as I used both of these modes a ton in C1. Stealth kills were a good addition that I would have liked in C1. I didn't miss strength. Speed getting gimped made me really depressed though. The zippiness of the Nomad in C1 was a real pleasure so it was a massive step down here.
Great impressions. I agree with virtually everything you said. Right on money with the graphics and sound points, as well as the shitty story. Honestly I wasn't expecting much with the plot. The last game that really sucked me in to the narrative was Bioshock and how many years ago was that...jesus.

Anyway, totally agree with the suit powers being so much more functional and improved from the original. It's so much easier and quicker to switch between powers on the fly and pull off some fun combos. Everything is smoother and much more fluid. Holding down space/A for the strength jump is perfect and seamless.

-Environments: I hated how level changes led to complete shifts in atmosphere changes and how segmented it made the city feel.

This is a great point. The game is very disjointed. You'll finish an awesome segment in a wide open city area then it'll suddenly end, a cut scene will play, and next thing you know you're locked inside a random sewer. It's nice to see all the different landmarks and environments of NYC but they could've made the transitions smoother.

spicy cho said:
Crytek's goal was to bring a PC game to consoles, says Crysis 2's executive producer.

Crysis 2 might have taken the series multi-platform, but Crytek's Nathan Camarillo says the studio hasn't "consolified" it for the new audience on the Xbox 360 and PS3. Camarillo says that Crysis 2 is a PC game made to fit on a console, not the other way round.

Speaking in a video interview with Games.On.Net, Camarillo said that Crytek wanted to bring a Crysis-like gameplay experience to consoles - something he thought that it lacked - and that fundamentally meant that the PC had to be the primary platform. That goal, he said, was one of the motivating factors behind the creation of CryEngine 3. He said that Crytek had torn apart the engine that the first Crysis had run on, and rebuilt it so that it could scale more easily on consoles.

This new engine also meant that PC users could get the best out of their hardware. Players with a low-end PC could still enjoy the game - something that couldn't be said about the first Crysis - but those with the really powerful computers could turn everything up to maximum and see the fruits of their investment. This is obviously good news for PC gamers, especially those who feel like they're being sidelined by the larger console demographic.

Crysis 2 is already out in North America, and comes out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 tomorrow in Europe and Australia.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-Claims-Crytek

This BULLSHIT fucking PISSES ME OFF.

Constructed for high end PC's but the top end cards aren't supported properly?

GET FUCKED. I want to contact this guy directly.

-GOUKI-

Just beat the game on PC

Highs
-Holy shit the graphics are good
-Aliens are hell of a lot funner to fight then Crysis 1
-Overall controls are really tight. Jumping feels great
-Level design feels like Half Life 2 at times

Lows
-Too bright/blurry/blinding
-Story was all over the place (w/e)
-Although i listed graphics as a plus, theirs still some gripes i have with it. It's just i can't help thinking this would have looked so much better if it was pc exclusive. You can tell alot of things just aren't as high poly'd as they used to be. At times characters don't cast shadows. Blah...

Pimpbaa said:
Yeah, interaction seems mostly similar in both games. I don't get that complaint.
I don't get that complaint, either. There's definitely as much if not more interaction in C2... there's many more objects and random stuff you can interact with. This comes with the territory though. Of course there's going to be more shit to interact with in a packed city compared to a sparse tropical island so it's not really a fair comparison or anything you can knock Crysis 1 for.

One other thing I forgot to mention was the water. Of course gorgeous blue tropical water is going to look better than the dirty brown "water" in NYC lol. I'd have to go load up C1 to see which one looks better technically. The water at the base of the statues in C2 was really nice, also the sewer...very shiny and reflective lol.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
luka said:
My only real complaint is with the way the game feels, rather than the way it's designed. In C1 you were a freaking ninja, a badass Batman/Predator hybrid on crack. Unlike other modern FPS' you weren't a tank meant to soak up gunfire, you were an insanely agile bastard who could run at 50 scale miles per hour, leap over buildings and execute one man flanking maneuvers in a heartbeat. In that way it felt a lot like older shooters like Doom where your mobility is your biggest strength. In C2 you lose a lot of that feeling, like everything has to be premeditated now. You have more mobility options (slide, ledge grab) but you're less mobile. The armor mode literally turns you into a sluggish tank complete with stomping footsteps. I dunno, it kind of feels like you're just going through the motions, rather than thinking on your feet and reacting on the fly.

Yeah that's my biggest problem with the game. I wonder if it was intentionally designed that way for story reasons, as you are playing a grunt instead of a highly trained super-solider like you are in the first-game..

Edit - I'm also annoyed that they removed the hand-to-hand option and you can't use a pistol in addition to two main weapons.

I don't get that complaint, either. There's definitely as much if not more interaction in C2... there's many more objects and random stuff you can interact with. This comes with the territory though. Of course there's going to be more shit to interact with in a packed city compared to a sparse tropical island so it's not really a fair comparison or anything you can knock Crysis 1 for.
The thing is, it feels more like a novelty to interact with those random objects then it is in crysis 1. With crysis 1 they were at least far more opportunities to mess around with barrels and stuff such as throwing them at enemies or shacks etc.

-GOUKI- said:
How are people disabling TAA and enabling 4xMSAA? That autoexec doesn't work for me.
no one is enabling 4xMSAA to my knowledge. the whole reason we're dealing with the so called PostMSAA is because regular MSAA and deferred rendering techniques (like Crysis 2 uses) don't work together.

i'm using MLAA on it after killing the PostMSAA and i prefer the way it looks, but it's a matter of preference if i'm honest.

luka said:
Agreed, I really really like it. The SP was super long for modern FPS standards and I have no qualms with the overall visuals especially considering how well it runs. The lack of options and small conveniences PC gamer's expect is a downer but it doesn't change how incredible the overall game is. I really wish they'd hurry up and fix some of the crippling bugs so I can replay it, but I'm enjoying the MP a lot more than I have with most FPS' lately.
The 'nanopoints resetting to zero' bug is just horrible. I have no idea how a glaring bug like that could get through Q&A. When I was playing tonight I was stressing about losing the points if I quit so I kept going on and on till I could spend them all on something and then hit a checkpoint to save. Speaking of saving... why take quick saves out? Some really dumbass decisions made.

Nerfing maximum speed was heart-breaking. Didn't think I'd miss it and the crazy motion blur that accompanied it as much as I did.

Heavy said:
The 'nanopoints resetting to zero' bug is just horrible. I have no idea how a glaring bug like that could get through Q&A. When I was playing tonight I was stressing about losing the points if I quit so I kept going on and on till I could spend them all on something and then hit a checkpoint to save. Speaking of saving... why take quick saves out? Some really dumbass decisions made.

Nerfing maximum speed was heart-breaking. Didn't think I'd miss it and the crazy motion blur that accompanied it as much as I did.
i do like the checkpoints, because it encourages me to reapproach each mini sand box each time i fail in a way that being able to quick save mid attempt wouldn't have... but yeah... i think every game should have a 'save and quit' option so i don't have to keep playing until i hit the next checkpoint when i want to stop playing.

Nekrono

-GOUKI- said:
I tried it. It doesn't seem to work.

What version are you using? I just went there and he just updated it to v1.3.

EDIT: Version 1.3 is out!

Changes (Version 1.3)
*fixed MSAA - should work now
*fixed crouch toggle - should work better
*added ability to change to preset low, medium, high

plagiarize said:
i do like the checkpoints, because it encourages me to reapproach each mini sand box each time i fail in a way that being able to quick save mid attempt wouldn't have... but yeah... i think every game should have a 'save and quit' option so i don't have to keep playing until i hit the next checkpoint when i want to stop playing.
That is kind of true. I abuse quick saves in games like I have OCD.. It takes out much of the danger and risk involved during an encounter when you know you can just load up a save from 30 seconds ago. Did that a million times during Reckoning in Crysis. But yeah, Save and Quit should've been in there.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
plagiarize said:
Yep, I never even used quicksaves in the original anyway, so I didn't even notice they were gone until I was near the end. It does definitely force you to be more tactical and careful than before, especially in the later levels.

Nekrono

-GOUKI- said:
Just tried 1.3. This one doesn't even start :(

EDIT: Nvm just need to run as administartor

You also need to delete any command lines you may have added through the game shortcut or Steam since they will override the autoexe created by the program.

I'm confused by how the AA in this game works. Can Edge AA, Post MLAA and MSAA be used at the same time? What kind of AA is the one forced by video card drivers? I've tried turning off the in-game AAs and forcing 8x AA using my nvidia control panel and I didn't notice any difference so I'm thinking it's not working.

jackdoe

Pimpbaa said:
I don't agree with this, the ice levels in Crysis 1 looked absolutely horrid and performed badly as well (and the flying aliens in those areas was just salt in the wound). I find Crysis 2 to be far more graphically consistent.
I actually saw my performance increase during the ice areas. Performance was funky for the final boss but before that it ran fine and I thought the ice was a nice change of pace.

Top Bottom