• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Are suit powers still controlled in the same way as Crysis 1? I love how easy it is to switch them up on the fly, it feels like second nature once you get the hang of it.

Snuggler said:
Are suit powers still controlled in the same way as Crysis 1? I love how easy it is to switch them up on the fly, it feels like second nature once you get the hang of it.

Mouse 3 hold and flick is still in the game but I don't use it anymore. By default Q is armor mode, E is cloak, holding space bar is super jump and shift is sprint/speed. Holding melee is super punch and holding click while holding an object charges a super throw.

Edit: (for the new page)

MisterAnderson said:
I'm confused by how the AA in this game works. Can Edge AA, Post MLAA and MSAA be used at the same time? What kind of AA is the one forced by video card drivers? I've tried turning off the in-game AAs and forcing 8x AA using my nvidia control panel and I didn't notice any difference so I'm thinking it's not working.

strata8

MisterAnderson said:
Mouse 3 hold and flick is still in the game but I don't use it anymore. By default Q is armor mode, E is cloak, holding space bar is super jump and shift is sprint/speed. Holding melee is super punch and holding click while holding an object charges a super throw.
Can you 'drop' objects?

Gritesh

I know I'm going to get shit on for saying this.

But the glitches in this game and the terrible AI is really ruining the experience for me.

I bought on PS3 to make use of my Theater Room, with the intention of beating it, trading it in and then picking Crysis 2 up off steam when there is a sale.

However I just cannot get into the game at all, when there are three enemies all trying to force their way through a door and I can run around behind them all and watch it happen it takes away from the experience.

Other glitches I have encountered are enemies dying and floating in the middle of the air, enemies twitching uncontrollably while just standing still, or enemies running into a corner and just staring at it, enemies getting randomly stuck inside objects or half walls as well, or glitching through doors, etc...

jackdoe

MisterAnderson said:
Same. No reason to use it, which is why I'm moving to gamepad to finish out the rest of the campaign. M&Kb doesn't feel as compatible with this game as it did with Crysis 1 IMO and it feels a bit awkward (like how I felt with Modern Warfare 2). I loved using mouse 3 to switch between power, speed, cloak, and armor and I miss it in Crysis 2.

So let me get this straight, if I replay the game (either through the chapter menu or starting a new game) I keep all my suit upgrades right? What about weapon modifications?

thelastword

Banned
Truespeed said:
I don't think I've ever read a faceoff in which Leadbetter was just wrong on so many points. You can tell he doesn't have an editor ;) The 360 resolution error was just bizarre because everyone's known it for some time, but a lot of people just wanted to have it validated by a source they trust. Was it really so difficult to see that the buttons and HUD were a bit stretched? He's since corrected the error, but the article still says that the 360 still enjoys a 12.5% resolution increase over the PS3. I'm not sure what math he was using, but isn't the difference 11.25%.

And it looks like he was also wrong about the AA being used (post MSAA and not TAA), but was so sure of it he even included a reference to Halo Reach). He was right about the frame rate holding up well on the PS3 compared to the 360, but both were pretty bad. There were a lot of 20 FPS moments and the 360 even reached a low of 14 WTF FPS. Crytek obviously doesn't care about performance on consoles because it's all about the graphics. If they did, they would have dialed it down to maintain performance. How can you even ship a game that touches 14 FPS and hovers around 20 when the action starts to pick up. This just goes to prove that eye candy is still greater than performance because unless reviewers are immune to massive frame rate fluctuations it's bewildering how such an inconsistent frame rate could have gone unnoticed by the majority.

His comments on the lighting were also a bit bizarre - even calling the PS3 lighting bugged and flawed. It seemed to me that the PC and PS3 lighting were more similar than the 360 and PC. Does this mean the lighting on the PC is also flawed?
Yes, Leadbetter was wrong about several things in this faceoff even when his own media said otherwise. Also, I'm not sure that leadbetter is more technically savvy than the guys at LOT either, he may throw more technical terms out there, but even then his knowledge of these terms and many technologies associated with graphics are questionable at best. I mean does leadbetter even know when a video game is vsynced?

A graphical comparison is primarily dependent on the frame analysis, tearing analysis, videos and pics, most of that is produced via equipment and software, so the tearing analysis done by LOT was factual, even though some folk tried to downplay it as insignificant. I'd rather have the facts which LOT presented with the tearing as opposed to the Leadbetter's useless and biased opinion. Had it not been for LOT we would have thought the 360 version of Crysis was properly vsynced, but it tears. A low of 14 fps I agree is abysmal, if crysis needed more time it should have received it, or perhaps some of these devs just dont prioritize performance anymore. It makes no sense to make a great looking game that's well nigh unplayable in some scenes.

Seeing, what crysis brings to the table on consoles however is still commendable, especially with the lighting and the wider levels. Games like Splinter Cell and COD should use this engine for their future games, of course the COD devs would tweak the engine, lower some of the lighting, decrease the texture rez etc.. to gain 60fps. I forsee better performance on the consoles for this engine in the future and especially the next generation of consoles. It would be a good thing if Crytek's next game would be multiplatform as well though, it would give them further experience with the PS3 so they would gain even more performance on that platform.

In anycase, I'll take LOT's analysis over DF's anyday.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
By the end of the game I stopped giving a shit about the nano suit points because of how glitched they were. I would lose them and then stop being able to gain them (like I would get the +100, but the select screen would show 0) pretty much every time I started the game. Eventually it would let me earn them again. Fortunately I was able to get enhanced Stealth before getting reset. Then at the end of the game you fight 4 enemies who net you 5k points a piece lol.

Lingitiz

Neuromancer said:
So let me get this straight, if I replay the game (either through the chapter menu or starting a new game) I keep all my suit upgrades right? What about weapon modifications?
Yeah you keep everything. I haven't beaten the game yet but in the giant bomb quick look he restarted and had all attachments and upgrades.

strata8

Crytek's AA works amazingly well at times:
Crysis2PostMSAA.jpg

Wow... that config program looks f'kn awesome.

I haven't tried it yet, but it will be fun to play with settings.

If I'm running a system.cfg file with updated settings at the moment should I restore this file back to default?

I'm really upset/discouraged. Really want to play the campaign right now but I can't even collect nano points anymore apparently. As if it wasn't enough that I lost like 4k nano points because of that shitty bug. Crytek better release a patch soon for that shit.

Still confused as to what AA I should be using, seems like whatever I change doesn't really make any difference.

kamspy

Finally got a bug. :(

My nano catalsyt set to zero and won't let me gain any from huffing the alien dust. Anyone know a fix for this? Google brings me to about a dozen people, so it doesn't seem to be widespread.

Bummer. :( I had zero complaints with the PC version before this.

I tried some of the configs. I like regular extreme better. Forcing MSAA over TAA is arguable to me, but the perf hit with MSAA makes TAA better for my system.

If BF3 and Skryim look this good and run this good in DX9, I'll be ecstatic.

Neuromancer said:
NICE!!!

Now see, why can't all games do this?

Yep I look forward to playing through the game again like that.

I would like to set up a cheat to have unlimited energy for my next play through as well because I feel that it would be awesomely fun to run and gun through the game without using stealth and having unlimited fast run and high jump and armour.

Any one know how to do that yet?

kamspy said:
Finally got a bug. :(

My nano catalsyt set to zero and won't let me gain any from huffing the alien dust. Anyone know a fix for this? Google brings me to about a dozen people, so it doesn't seem to be widespread.

Bummer. :( I had zero complaints with the PC version before this.

I tried some of the configs. I like regular extreme better. Forcing MSAA over TAA is arguable to me, but the perf hit with MSAA makes TAA better for my system.

If BF3 and Skryim look this good and run this good in DX9, I'll be ecstatic.

BF3 won't have DX9 mode, it's DX10 and 11 only.

It'll probably be better with more destruction.

Needless to say, the place games are getting to on PC these days is really exciting me for the upcoming generation and the next few years! Especially once the new consoles come out!

René_EM

Neo Member
<begin PC gaming rant>

Not having any kind of manual save/quick save on PC is utterly unacceptable. Checkpoints only? So weak. I like to mess around and experiment while I play but with this lame checkpoint system, I don't because I'm afraid of losing upwards of 15 minutes of gameplay due to a death (and many times have).

I can get past the levels designed to fit in console memory, the lack of a real settings and configuration menu, no DirectX 10/11 support, the console interface, etc., but I can't get past this. It's ruining my enjoyment of the game since it's forcing me to play it in a much more linear fashion than I otherwise would. Even crappy Mass Effect 2 had a quicksave on PC.

I replayed both Crysis and Warhead last week and man, are those two amazing games. Crytek has let us down, us members of the PC Gaming Master Race club.

pc_gaming_master_race.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
René_EM said:
<begin PC gaming rant>

Not having any kind of manual save/quick save on PC is utterly unacceptable. Checkpoints only? So weak. I like to mess around and experiment while I play but with this lame checkpoint system, I don't because I'm afraid of losing upwards of 15 minutes of gameplay due to a death (and many times have).
Really it's unacceptable on any platform. Devs really should incorporate manual saving into their games on all platforms.

kamspy

ColonialRaptor said:
BF3 won't have DX9 mode, it's DX10 and 11 only.

Really? Is this confirmed? I'm really loving how well my 275 GTX is holding up.

I like the checkpoints. It makes me play more carefully. I'd like a self destruction suspend mode, but I like the tension of only having one life to clear a large swath of enemies. I autosaved like a mad man in Crysis 1 and WH.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
wait

no quick save?

Geezus man, why disable such simple features? I like being able to mash F5 whenever I please, what is there to gain from taking that away, if anything it just encourages me to do whatever crazy shit I want since I can always revert back to a spot of my choosing.

I guess by taking away options they're protecting me from myself or something.

strata8

kamspy said:
Really? Is this confirmed? I'm really loving how well my 275 GTX is holding up.

I like the checkpoints. It makes me play more carefully. I'd like a self destruction suspend mode, but I like the tension of only having one life to clear a large swath of enemies. I autosaved like a mad man in Crysis 1 and WH.
The 200 series isn't DX10?

strata8

Snuggler said:
wait

no quick save?

Geezus man, why disable such simple features? I like being able to mash F5 whenever I please, what is there to gain from taking that away, if anything it just encourages me to do whatever crazy shit I want since I can always revert back to a spot of my choosing.

I kinda hate this whole hand-holding thing. In Crysis 1 they just chucked you into the middle of it and said 'have fun!'.

Stallion Free said:
Really it's unacceptable on any platform. Devs really should incorporate manual saving into their games on all platforms.
Yeah it shouldn't be that hard. That said usually the the checkpoints make sense in this game so it could be worse.

kamspy

NotTarts said:
The 200 series isn't DX10?

Yeah, but 9 times out of 10 I'll take the DX9 codepath given the perf boosts that most games get out of it. There are very few DX10 games out there that are worth the perf hit. IMHO.

Peterthumpa

How's the performance with single 5870 from Gafers around? I think the game runs great overall, but sometimes it dips to the 40s, and it's kinda noticeable. Pretty different from the first Crysis where a low framerate wasn't so easily spotted (at least by me).

ColonialRaptor said:
If I'm running a system.cfg file with updated settings at the moment should I restore this file back to default?

Could someone answer this for me? RE: using with the settings editor posted on the last page

I think I'm halfway through it, played about 5-6 hours, great game so far. Sometimes graphics are just crazy, sometimes it's a bit disappointing.

The assets were clearly designed with consoles in mind; but still, it looks incredibly good at times.

Gameplay is fun, especially when the game offers you large areas. Once you get flow, it can get rather addictive: run, jump, cloak, kill, jump again, have fun. xD

felipepl said:
How's the performance with single 5870 from Gafers around? I think the game runs great overall, but sometimes it dips to the 40s, and it's kinda noticeable. Pretty different from the first Crysis where a low framerate wasn't so easily spotted (at least by me).

When it gets down to 30fps I really notice it this time around, it's weird. As long as it's 40+ it feels smooth as butter. But anything in the 30's or below it feelings sluggish and shit.

This definitely wasn't the case with the first Crysis. It felt smooth enough at 25 to 30 (from memory)

Blizzard

Banned
Snuggler said:
wait

no quick save?

Question about the quicksave thing...I feel like I've seen a lot of complaints about modern games being dumbed down or too "easy", and people hated Prince of Persia's instant respawn when you died.

Why do people want the quicksave option, allowing you to retry every game decision and instantly undo nearly every mistake you make fighting enemies etc.?

To be fair, I realize these are probably different GROUPS of people wanting different things, but I just thought it was kind of funny. I personally abuse saves when I can (HL2), and having tons of staggered saves can be especially helpful if you run into glitches.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Blizzard said:
Question about the quicksave thing...I feel like I've seen a lot of complaints about modern games being dumbed down or too "easy", and people hated Prince of Persia's instant respawn when you died.

Why do people want the quicksave option, allowing you to retry every game decision and instantly undo nearly every mistake you make fighting enemies etc.?

To be fair, I realize these are probably different GROUPS of people wanting different things, but I just thought it was kind of funny. I personally abuse saves when I can (HL2), and having tons of staggered saves can be especially helpful if you run into glitches.
There are some aspects of games I would like to be in control of. Also, firefights in this game can go on for 10 minutes which is way too long to be repeated upon some bullshit death.

Mrbob

Finally able to get my Crysis 2 serial key working and played a couple matches online. Very addicting. First FPS game in a long time I can see myself playing awhile online.

Well reloading my previous saves aren't rectifying this nano catalyst glitch, unfortunately. Also I apparently have a glitch I haven't heard of before that is kind of like the melee glitch. I can't use 1 to cycle through my weapons anymore. I have to use the mousewheel.

People keep saying how they are removing the "blurry shit" from Crysis 2. Can you elaborate? Is this edge AA? Post MSAA? What is it?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
At this point the bugs are REALLY starting to aggravate me. The catalyst bug, the melee bug, the weapon cycle glitch, the campaign randomly forgetting what I've unlocked, the multiplayer menu causing music to play over itself repeatedly being really obnoxious, the multiplayer menu constantly forgetting my unlocks and resetting my challenge progress, the many bugged servers that refuse to start, the list goes on. The thing is all of these bugs were present in the leak as well! They didn't spring up overnight. It's like they did absolutely zero quality assurance testing on the pc build after it got out. Completely appalling.

Tain

René_EM said:
Not having any kind of manual save/quick save on PC is utterly unacceptable. Checkpoints only? So weak.

it is your skill that is so weak

ahuahuahuahua

Seriously, that's, like, the absolute clearest improvement that this game has over Crysis. The checkpoints are awesome and so much better than the old f-key safety net.

vazel

Banned
Still gets me how online FPS games have so much crap flinged at you in the HUD as you're doing certain types of actions/kills and gaining ranks. I tried Crysis 2's online just now and I couldn't stop laughing. I know this is all oldhat to all you people but I mostly stopped playing FPS games after CoD1.

Online does seem fun I can see myself playing it quite a bit.

Tain said:
it is your skill that is so weak

ahuahuahuahua

Seriously, that's, like, the absolute clearest improvement that this game has over Crysis. The checkpoints are awesome and so much better than the old f-key safety net.

I'm torn on this one. While it does ramp up the tension dramatically on the higher difficulties (reminds me a bit of Alien vs Predator before they patched in a save function), it has proved frustrating at times when checkpoints aren't where i expect them to be.

Pimpbaa

TheExodu5 said:
The ice areas in Crysis 1 looked bad? The fuck?

Yes. It's like dull white paint was just thrown on the environment. Didn't look realistic at all. Probably some mods or config files that make it look better, but using default settings it just looked dull. Was the same across multiple systems with different video cards and in both Crysis 1 and Warhead.

Top Bottom