• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Abylim

Sorry if already asked, but does this game have Local Co-op? As in, split screen campaign or something? That's a big factor in my FPS purchases recently, the wife loves playing these with me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Here's a downsized pic from me, 1200p to 720p.

xnyhhy.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Supposedly, some people can actually understand German. It's crazy, I know, but true.

Of course I mean the non-germans. Google translate just breaks the site for me.

KingJ2002

playing through the game now I see that it definitely picks up after playing halfway through.

still no cinematic appeal like cod or halo... but the gameplay picks up once you start fighting different variations of ceph.

although it starts to feel like halo 3 in certain areas of the game.

Tain said:
An option that the game suggests and that guarantees that the developers didn't need to think about checkpoint pacing. A player can't be positive that all of the encounters were designed around checkpoints, and the whole point is to choose the options that let you win, so it's only natural to use the shit out of them.

Of course, I can play Crysis only using the checkpoints. I haven't tried. For all I know, they could be paced fine, but I'm not betting on it! Thankfully, with Crysis 2, I don't even need to worry about it. I'm given very clear challenges to overcome and I don't need to play Game Designer.
So good.

Tain said:
An option that the game suggests and that guarantees that the developers didn't need to think about checkpoint pacing. A player can't be positive that all of the encounters were designed around checkpoints, and the whole point is to choose the options that let you win, so it's only natural to use the shit out of them.

Of course, I can play Crysis only using the checkpoints. I haven't tried. For all I know, they could be paced fine, but I'm not betting on it! Thankfully, with Crysis 2, I don't even need to worry about it. I'm given very clear challenges to overcome and I don't need to play Game Designer.

it's not playing game designer, it's saving wherever the fuck I please. christ.

Dennis

Banned
Question for PC gamers:

Keyboard and mouse or 360 controller?

I have a controller but have used K+M so far, is the controller better?

By the way, K+M have worked fine, seems well implemented so far.

KingDizzi

Banned
Just got the game now, what difficulty would you peeps recommend? I play lot's of shooters if that's any help and usually at normal difficulty but heard this game is pretty easy.

derFeef

KingDizzi said:
Just got the game now, what difficulty would you peeps recommend? I play lot's of shooters if that's any help and usually at normal difficulty but heard this game is pretty easy.
I started on the highest difficulty and died way too often. Then I switched one setting back and also died way too often. Switched one more difficulty back and it was easy as hell. The levels are not very well balanced but I would recommend Veteran for maximum enjoyment.

Some think even post-human is too easy... just try it out.

DennisK4 said:
Question for PC gamers:

Keyboard and mouse or 360 controller?

I have a controller but have used K+M so far, is the controller better?

By the way, K+M have worked fine, seems well implemented so far.

Not sure how it is in C2, but in C1 you could sit the controller on your lap for rumble while you used M&K for the actual gaming.

Dennis, what is it that is making everything so sharp in your screenshots? Killer graphics card? Huge resolution? I have the same settings as you do and mine still looks a little blurry compared to yours. Especially the gun model and the foliage.
But I only have a lonely GTX 260 lolol.
Also, dat saturation.....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Crysis 1 had great checkpointing. What quicksave also allows me to do is:

1. stop whenever i want

and

2. save before trying something crazy, which encourages experimentation with suit powers and environment

DoomGyver

KingDizzi said:
I just completed it on super-soldier and I would say if you don't mind dieing a few times play it on super-soldier. There were a couple spots that gave me a little trouble, what I liked though is each time I died I tried a new path or a new way to handle the situation. If you like to go balls to the walls head on and shoot the shit out of everything I would play on hard and not super-soldier. Using stealth can get you by a lot of the hard stuff, but I don't find that very fun at all so I used a good mix of guns, flanking, stealth, and the environment to get by.

The cut-scenes look like complete ass due to the compression. Did the PS3 version take advantage of the blu-ray space or did they use those same compressed turd cut-scenes for all platforms?

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
Phantom Limbs said:
Dennis, what is it that is making everything so sharp in your screenshots? Killer graphics card? Huge resolution? I have the same settings as you do and mine still looks a little blurry compared to yours. Especially the gun model and the foliage.

I have the same card, how does it run for you?

Dennis

Banned
Phantom Limbs said:
Have you turned off all the AA?

Full Recovery said:
I just completed it on super-soldier and I would say if you don't mind dieing a few times play it on super-soldier. There were a couple spots that gave me a little trouble, what I liked though is each time I died I tried a new path or a new way to handle the situation. If you like to go balls to the walls head on and shoot the shit out of everything I would play on hard and not super-soldier. Using stealth can get you by a lot of the hard stuff, but I don't find that very fun at all so I used a good mix of guns, flanking, stealth, and the environment to get by.

The cut-scenes look like complete ass due to the compression. Did the PS3 version take advantage of the blu-ray space or did they use those same compressed turd cut-scenes for all platforms?

Yep, same terrible cut-scenes.

leng jai

I'm dying a lot in this game due to the borderline disgusting framerate of the 360 version. This is reaching Reach levels of slowdowns in the singleplayer. Especially early early on when you have to use iron sights, I couldn't hit shit.

On the plus side, incredible graphics indeed and solid sound design. Game is actually pretty fun though I'm only a few hours in. Really hanging out for a game that isn't the Scarab though..

The visuals in this game are nearly there. It's the same situation as Rift right now, where none of the in-game AA options are to my liking. I get 60 frames with 4xAA but I just prefer how it looks without. The game itself isn't bad so far, hopefully it picks up now the suit upgrades have come into play.

derFeef said:
That pistol is ticking me off every time I see it. Is the texture streched or something? It looks weird...

I think it's just brushed metal. It only appears like that in certain lighting for me.

zoukka

This game looks so bland in comparison to the first game. In screens that is.

Dat generic jungle > dat generic urban scenery.

CryptiK

This is an ok spin off.. when do we get the real Crysis 2 you know the one that continues the story?

A possible mention of Nomad and Psycho:

In the first mission when you are at the "castle" after your first stealth kill there will be 2 cell soldiers they discuss how Prophet went insane and killed many Nano warriors or something.. and thats it :S

nib95

Banned
NotTarts said:
Crysis 1 = copy+paste

Then real life = closer to copy and paste. Jungles and forests aren't exactly the most diverse thing in the world. But they do look awesome. Especially with beaches, military camps, cliffs, caves, waterfalls, rivers and iced out arctic worlds thrown in between.

strata8

nib95 said:
Then real life = closer to copy and paste. Jungles and forests aren't exactly the most diverse thing in the world. But they do look awesome. Especially with beaches, military camps, cliffs, caves, waterfalls, rivers and iced out arctic worlds thrown in between.
What I meant was that Crytek can't do that with a city. Many of the assets really need to be made from the ground up.

Dennis

Banned
Appollowexx said:
Crysis22011-03-2509-16-18-98.jpg

Took this with the same settings as the video I posted a few pages back. It's been compressed a little, but looks no where near as sharp as Dennis' pics. What kind of voodoo trickery are you using man? :p
I am sorry, but come on, there is no way that the game looks like that on PC with Hardcore settings.

Post the original size screenshot with no compression.

This is what it looks like for me in-game. Not bad for now. Mods will hopefully take it the rest of the way. Fingers crossed for the DX11 patch as well.

crysis22011-03-2512-261upc.jpg

crysis22011-03-2512-28luog.jpg

knitoe

Turning off all blur makes a huge difference. I was getting nauseated from playing the game. Thought it was my IPS monitor inducing it. Blur has to be the worst special FX use in game.

DennisK4 said:
Here is the autoconfig.cfg I am using. I use the mod program to alter settings. I have all forms of AA turned off because at 2560x1600 the sheer pixel density provides a form of "built-in" AA.
I have also disabled motion blur. Shadows are at Medium. All other settings are at High.

Code:
g_skipIntro=0
cl_fov=70
r_DrawNearFoV=70
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=70
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_motionblur=0
g_radialBlur=1
cl_zoomToggle=1
r_UseEdgeAA=0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
sys_spec_shading=3
sys_spec_gameeffects=3
sys_spec_objectdetail=3
sys_spec_particles=3
sys_spec_physics=3
sys_spec_postprocessing=3
sys_spec_shadows=2
sys_spec_sound=3
sys_spec_texture=3
sys_spec_water=3
r_PostMSAA=0
The screenshots below is what the game looks like with those settings except I have downsampled them slightly from 1600p to 1200p to make them less gargantuan.
Any sys_spec line needs to be at the top so they get activated first and not override any further tweaking.

Sethos

Banned
After I added the mouse settings to the autoexec, the mouse controls feels normal. Oh and I used the above config and forced 4xMSAA through RadeonPro, the result is ... profound.

Crysis2%202011-03-25%2013-00-53-47.png

Talafas

Neo Member
Playing this on PC with a 360 pad works out really well in SP and MP. Even managed to get MVP every now and then.

Really enjoying the SP so far. I hope Crytek/Gamespy get their shit together and fix the messy MP Server situation...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
zoukka said:

Dat jungle was aliased as shit. Getting good IQ and good performance out of Cry1 was really tough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The aliens in this are a billion fold more enjoyable to fight than the aliens in Crysis. I have some issues with this game, but I gotta give Crytek props for finally getting combat to feel more varied than it did in Crysis. Aliens are actually a lot of fun, and can make for some good challenge.

zoukka said:

Completely disagree. One of my biggest issues with Crysis is that no matter how beautiful the jungle is rendered (and it is very beautiful), by the end of the game far too many of the levels had merged together in my memory due to how repetitive they were in style, and the lack of creativity in recreating natural environments. It was jungle, jungle, jungle, jungle, rocks, river, beach, jungle. Over and over.

I do miss the openess, but chosing an urban setting, and one they're free to rip apart and rebuild, has lead to a greater diversity in envrionments in my opinion. Each level looks unique, as opposed to a remixed version of the one before.

God these screens are starting to look good - keep them coming!

The very first thing I'm going to do when I get my PC up and running is configure the graphics. No way in hell am I playing vanilla.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What is up with the multiplayer, every game I join just seems to hang at the lobby screen.

Enosh

108 god damned pages of PC screens, but no one bothered to mention that the PC version is now 8vs8 (atleats the majority of the servers I have found so far, one is 6vs6 and that one is from the US)

-.-

game works, loving it so far, but 8vs8 on maps designed for 6vs6 might be a bit overcrowed, works better on some maps than on others but still

Dennis

Banned
Enosh said:
108 god damned pages of PC screens, but no one bothere dto mention that the PC version is now 8vs8

-.-

game works, loving it so far, but 8vs8 on maps designed for 6vs6 might be a bit overcrowed, works better on some maps than on others but still
I didn't realize the game had multiplayer. Thats nice I guess.

Enosh said:
108 god damned pages of PC screens, but no one bothered to mention that the PC version is now 8vs8 (atleats the majority of the servers I have found so far, one is 6vs6 and that one is from the US)

-.-

6v6 even feels crowded on some of maps. Despite some glaring issues, I'm really enjoying the mp in this game. When you get into that rhythm of cloak, armor, kill, recharge, it's really rewarding and satisfying. This game is all about choosing your battles at the right time. You really have to know when to let down your armor and salvage your energy for an escape.

Top Bottom