• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Man, we have come a long way:

(Deus Ex, 2000)
castleclintonold.jpg

(Crysis 2, 2011)
castle_clinton_newg7vs.jpg

G_Berry

Banned
Gotta say that this game is one of the most well optimized PC games I have had the pleasure of playing since Just Cause 2.

Once I downloaded the EVGA SLI patch for my GTX 295, this game has become a visual masterpiece.

It's great to play a game that just runs and looks so fantastic without having to fuck around with bull shit like every other PC game these days.

Perhaps working on the console versions caused Crytek to really concentrate on optimization as apposed to "hey lets make this game so visually intensive that no PC can run it for another 5 years ala Crysis"

Haters be damned.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DeadRockstar said:
This is what it looks like for me in-game. Not bad for now. Mods will hopefully take it the rest of the way. Fingers crossed for the DX11 patch as well.

crysis22011-03-2512-261upc.jpg
I'm sorry, but disabling all of the blur totally ruins the image quality. Those shots look terrible.

I can't figure out why everyone is so down on the blur. It completely smooths out the image and results in a very clean appearance. Some real supersampling would be the best option, but that is too taxing for current systems. The method used here is fantastic and has very little impact on performance.

Disabling it just results in a jaggy mess.

FeD.nL

Just finished it on the ps3 and loved it. Like posted earlier the first third was kinda ok but the game really picks up for the last two thirds. For some reason it felt if that part of the game was better optimized or something, it really felt as if the opening was tacked on at a later phase of development.

The story wasn't that interesting though, but for some reason I did like the conclusion. The set-pieces were nice and once again in those last 2/3 they really throw you into set-piece after set-piece.

The gameplay is the absolute star of the show for me. I really liked the first Crysis but Cysis 2 surpassed it in my opinion. The sandbox maybe smaller but your options for tackling an objective certainly aren't. I didn't make much use of the vehicles in the first one so I really didn't miss them much here. I think they made great use of the setting, i've only been to NYC once so I don't know which building stands where exactly, but it really felt like Manhattan to me.

I loved the suit though and the changes they made to it. Especially once you get the reduced energy upgrades going the gameplay really opens up. Stealth sprinting into a slide and activating armor it's all possible now as opposed to the first one, sprinting might not be as fast as it used to be but it perfectly fits the areas. The weapon customize option flow really well into the game as well. They really nailed the controls there. Switching out scopes and attachments in a second when the situation demands it. But the controls in general are really solid.

For me personally it's the best singleplayer shooter experience i've had this generation and if your sick of the corridor shooters you owe it to yourself to at least play this one. It's starts off a bit slow but once it gets going you will not regret any second of it.

dark10x said:
I'm sorry, but disabling all of the blur totally ruins the image quality. Those shots look terrible.

I can't figure out why everyone is so down on the blur. It completely smooths out the image and results in a very clean appearance. Some real supersampling would be the best option, but that is too taxing for current systems. The method used here is fantastic and has very little impact on performance.

Not on PCs. Too bad Crytek didn't think of Crysis 2 as PC game first, console game second but the other way around.

Spookie

knitoe said:
Turning off all blur makes a huge difference. I was getting nauseated from playing the game.

Totally. Playing it last night I was feeling disorientated from it. I had to take a break from playing because it's incredibly excessive. Not sure why they felt the need to over indulge it looks fine without it.

Y2Kev said:
Crysis 1 had great checkpointing. What quicksave also allows me to do is:

1. stop whenever i want

and

2. save before trying something crazy, which encourages experimentation with suit powers and environment
I miss quicksave too, I hope it's gets patched or moded back in.

Sethos

Banned
Found a way around my little graphical bug, have been messing around with the settings for hours to remove the "vaseline", then I realize, I like the vanilla look so much more :) Not defending it, just prefer the smoothed out image a lot more.

Dennis

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Is the highest difficulty as good as Delta was on C1? Or is it better just to play on lower difficulties?
You can switch difficulty on the fly so it can't hurt to start out on Super Soldier and then just lower it if it turns frustrating (a.k.a pussying out).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Not on PCs. Too bad Crytek didn't think of Crysis 2 as PC game first, console game second but the other way around.
Super-sampling would be too taxing on a game like Crysis 2. Crysis 1 which was built solely as a PC game and released in 2007 still can't be run at a playable FPS with super-sampling.

derFeef

DennisK4 said:
You can switch difficulty on the fly so it can't hurt to start out on Super Soldier and then just lower it if it turns frustrating (a.k.a pussying out).
You can not set it higher again though, you have to restart the level.

DennisK4 said:
The man was asking if it was fun to play on the highest difficulty not that its hard. Of course I can only say that the highest difficulty is stupidly easy, but I am not so sure about fun.

dark10x said:

Why even bring up supersampling? Of course it's not possible on the most recent games. Regular MSAA or QCSAA it's all that's needed here. Performance isn't an issue since I'm getting 60fps right now with or without Crytek's AA.

I'm glad you like the blur. Personally it makes me feel like I'm wearing contacts made of vaseline.

randomwab

I played about a half hour of this last night and had to turn it off. The PC version just feels fucked up. The horrible vaseline smeared image, the feel of the mouse look and the gimping of the suit powers. Nothing felt overly great to me. Even the gunplay wasn't all that exciting.

Guess I'll have to tweak with all the settings before I jump back in later.

JoeBoy101

G_Berry said:
Perhaps working on the console versions caused Crytek to really concentrate on making small maps and not improving textures as apposed to "hey lets make this game so visually intensive that no PC can run it for another 5 years ala Crysis"

Fixed.

FeD.nL

randomwab said:
I played about a half hour of this last night and had to turn it off. The PC version just feels fucked up. The horrible vaseline smeared image, the feel of the mouse look and the gimping of the suit powers. Nothing felt overly great to me. Even the gunplay wasn't all that exciting.

Guess I'll have to tweak with all the settings before I jump back in later.

What is gimped about them? In my opinion the suit really feels like one weapon now instead of four separate modes. If anything once you get the upgrades going it's slightly OP.

God I'm totally loving this game.

I don't know why everyone is so down on the story, yeah it's not spectacular, or deep or full of twists and turns (as far as I can tell so far). But to me, it's good, simple enjoyable sci-fi that gives the action and what you're doing some purpose.

I tried the settings like some people here have suggested, but reducing the built in AA is a bad move IMO. I prefer the smoother no jaggies look of it.

Ahhh man, I only wish they'd fk'n hurry up and fix the flickering issue on 5970's so I can play at 2560.

I guess that'll be the treat I get when I play through it a second time - which I'm definitely going to do.

How do most people tend to play the game? It's very easy to just cloak, move, kill, cloak, move, kill all the time and I'm trying to do things in different ways all the time - but I'm playing on the second to hardest difficulty and if I run and gun (which is sometimes enjoyable) I just get fucking owned hard, they out flank and destroy me. I suppose that's why putting the nano-suit to use is the best option. Either way, I still love the fact that you have so many options with how to complete a section.

People who are disappointed about this game from Crysis 1 really need to consider this games merits on it's own compared to every other shooter on the market at the moment. After the major shooter fatigue that I've been feeling lately and the push push push direction of those shooters this shit is EXACTLY what I've been looking for to re-invigorate my love for the genre. Dang, it's just so awesome!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
FeD.nL said:
What is gimped about them? In my opinion the suit really feels like one weapon now instead of four separate modes. If anything once you get the upgrades going it's slightly OP.
Speed is underpowered no matter what, but stealth got a fucking massive buff with the upgrade.

Casp0r

Banned
Wow this game should not run this well on my 5770! ... well done Crytek ... well done.

Now give us a full PC game and not an obvious port, because yes this game is a console port. It's a great port, however it's a port.

Ysiadmihi said:
Someone is actually defending the blur? Really? Getting rid of it makes the game instantly look 10 times better.
i don't think Dark is defending the blur, i think he's saying that it's worth a bit of blur to clean up every single edge in the game.

personally i disagree, but i can absolutely see where he's coming from. i think a lot of people would look at me like a maniac for using MLAA for example, but i think it makes for a good compromise between blur + no jaggies and jaggies all over.

Casp0r said:
Wow this game should not run this well on my 5770! ... well done Crytek ... well done.

Now give us a full PC game and not an obvious port, because yes this game is a console port. It's a great port, however it's a port.
go learn what a port actually is.

this is a multiplatform game, which is different to an exclusive and different to a port. exclusives are nice, but there's nothing inherantly wrong with multiplatform games.

honestly, you will have a much better gaming experience on PC if you come to accept this.

Atilac

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Man, we have come a long way:

(Deus Ex, 2000)
castleclintonold.jpg

(Crysis 2, 2011)
castle_clinton_newg7vs.jpg
Awesome. What does the sign read on Castle Clinton? any hints at DX?
EDIT: Wait is Castle Clinton a real place?

smik

the invisibility cloak breaks/ruins the MP in this game, totally takes out the fun and on top of that there is a real lack of weapon selection.

SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR
CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,ARMOR,CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,

this video about sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RVSbJysLDQ

the game does have great graphics though but thats not enough for me

paskowitz

One thing ya'll may not realize with your fancy gaming rigs is just how well optimized this game is.

I have a measly Dell SXPS1647 with an Intel i5 540m 2.53Ghz cpu, ATi M Rad 4670 with 1gb of memory, and 4gb of DDR3 1333mhz of ram. This computer is not even really meant for gaming and I can run 1280x720, no AA (duh), Vsync, on the advanced setting and run between a absolute minimum of 20fps with an average of 27-32.

For C1 I had to run the game at the lowest settings at 720p to even hit 30fps. Warhead was a bit better.

On a side note, does anyone know how to tweak the individual graphics settings? I really hate motion blur, and to me it is unnecessary.

Dennis

Banned
plagiarize said:
i don't think Dark is defending the blur, i think he's saying that it's worth a bit of blur to clean up every single edge in the game.

personally i disagree, but i can absolutely see where he's coming from. i think a lot of people would look at me like a maniac for using MLAA for example, but i think it makes for a good compromise between blur + no jaggies and jaggies all over.

It may be a question of pixel density. For me with a high pixel density, turning the blur off gives a sharp image without too much aliasing.

However, for some the increased aliasing that comes with removing the blur may be so pronounced that it is distracting.

kitch9

Banned
Why can't I get slide to work?

I've sprint set as caps lock and crouch set as shift and no matter what I do pressing shift whilst sprinting will not register the slide....

Any ideas?

The fucking melee stopping working bug is annoying too!!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Speed pretty much doesn't exist at all any more. It's just sprinting, and it's really no different from sprinting in any other game. Energy might as well be stamina.

I like that Strength is more versatile now. No need to switch to it just to use it, but still control over when it's used. Holding jump to high jump works really well in the heat of battles.

Armor is okay. Armor is as armor does. Cloak is useful where appropriate.

I didn't think I'd like it, but I dont really have a problem with the streamlining of the suit. Mostly because both Armor and Cloak are still unique powers mapped to individual buttons, and the only difference between this Strength and Crysis' is that you dont have to actively 'turn it on', instead just chose when to use it.

Speed disappearing is the only thing that disappoints me. A super dash of sorts to slam into enemies with a charge, and slide around Vanquish style, would have been really great, and would have capped off the suit changes perfectly in my opinion.

EatChildren said:
A super dash of sorts to slam into enemies with a charge, and slide around Vanquish style, would have been really great, and would have capped off the suit changes perfectly in my opinion.

that's a good idea!!

either way, I am loving the game anyway

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Are they going to release an SDK for this game? I have a feeling that with the COD-ified multiplayer which may be a bit more long lasting it's going to get more attention from modders (both single and multiplayer) if they do. Would be great to see what people can do with the setting and style and how they can enhance things...

Starting to not be so happy with the performance now, it seems to crash my drivers often and later levels don't perform as good as the first few, even though I don't really see any difference in detail and scope... Oh well, I'll continue with max settings and reduce it after I've seen everything for replays/mods.

I hope the multiplayer maps are more well optimised and people can use them as an example when/if doing custom content...

EatChildren said:
I like that Strength is more versatile now. No need to switch to it just to use it, but still control over when it's used. Holding jump to high jump works really well in the heat of battles.
Its more streamlined than versatile really. It was more tricky but to do it but you could more or less acomplish the same things in Crysis. On the other hand now you get no distance on the throw when you grab some one unless you use up all your energy to toss them. Which barely gets you any distance and only knocks down an enemy instead of just taking them out completely. You are a lot weaker in melee compared to Crysis.

EatChildren said:
Completely disagree. One of my biggest issues with Crysis is that no matter how beautiful the jungle is rendered (and it is very beautiful), by the end of the game far too many of the levels had merged together in my memory due to how repetitive they were in style, and the lack of creativity in recreating natural environments. It was jungle, jungle, jungle, jungle, rocks, river, beach, jungle. Over and over.

I do miss the openess, but chosing an urban setting, and one they're free to rip apart and rebuild, has lead to a greater diversity in envrionments in my opinion. Each level looks unique, as opposed to a remixed version of the one before.

That's what I tried to say a few days ago, but you explained it a hell of a lot better than I could so thanks for that.

The AI is fairly jank for me so far. Plenty of dudes getting stuck on things, trying their hardest to patrol through a book shelf. I've been seen through metal doors as well. Somebody earlier mentioned them some how knowing you're in the sewer even though you entered cloaked, but it happened to me as well.

Overall it's enjoyable enough for me to continue though. Haven't come across enough aliens to get many suit upgrades. It's annoying how they introduce that and then you get no more points for a while before there's more of them.

EatChildren said:
Speed pretty much doesn't exist at all any more. It's just sprinting, and it's really no different from sprinting in any other game. Energy might as well be stamina.

Easily the biggest downer for me so far. The 'speed ticket acquired' thing would have been funnier if I was actually booking it C1 style.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You know, my biggest technological disappointment (outside of no DX11) would have to be the total absence of any parallax mapping. It was common on maxed out Crysis, and used really very well. Even some similar textures, like tire tread marks in mud, which had parallax mapping in Crysis, no longer have it.

It would have been a pretty simple yet beneficial visual upgrade, especially with so much concrete and rubble.

Also, what the hell is up with the ugly ass brick textures in the first stage? All the brick rubble is just a horribly ugly texture. Yet, strangely, in later levels dense brick rubble exists as a full 3D prop.

It's like the forgot or ran out of time to fix that.

Top Bottom