• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

DennisK4 said:
The AI is fond of blowing themselves up with grenades.

I experienced a moment where the AI went weird, I was cloaked and no one had seen me. All of a sudden one of the enemies shoots up a red flare, calls in air support and shoots a rocket at a group of his own dudes, killing 5 of them.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Day And Knight said:
Everyones discussing graphics; how is the gameplay?
It's great. Probably one of my favorite FPS of the generation and I'm not even done yet. I definitely think that this is going to be a strong GoTY contender. I'm constantly surprised at how engrossing it is. It's probably the most I've been enjoying an FPS campaign since HL2: Episode 2.

The first few chapters are kind of lackluster though. Eventually the game falls into its stride and it's awesome. Once you get to the wider encounters and the suit powers click the combat is fantastic. There are also a lot of quiet moments with some great atmosphere that really add to the experience. I highly recommend it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
plagiarize said:
i don't think Dark is defending the blur, i think he's saying that it's worth a bit of blur to clean up every single edge in the game.

personally i disagree, but i can absolutely see where he's coming from. i think a lot of people would look at me like a maniac for using MLAA for example, but i think it makes for a good compromise between blur + no jaggies and jaggies all over.
Yes, exactly!

I don't think it's the ultimate solution, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of clarity for extremely smoothness. I much prefer a jaggy free, but slightly blurry image to one full of jagged edges.

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Not on PCs. Too bad Crytek didn't think of Crysis 2 as PC game first, console game second but the other way around.
Uhh, yes on PCs. SSAA has a huge impact on performance.

I love just screwing around in the world - seeing how various things will react when you shoot them and stuff.

I'm just up to the bit where hargrave starts talking to you... anyone who's finished tell me how much further I have to go?

DangerStepp

evil solrac v3.0 said:
I'm ready. I truly believe that this will end up like MGS4, lvoed at the begining and then a couple of years later hated by most of GAF. HOWEVER! I am still early in teh game and I'm heading down to wall street so maybe things will pick up (hopeful) so i will psot my impressions if the game starts getting betetr for me.
Yeah, post up your impressions. I'd be glad to read more short summaries of people's experiences and juxtapositions of their feelings on this vs. Crysis 1. Dennis seems to like the gameplay, which is good--I respect his opinion.

It's weird, because I view MGS4 the same way. It's a phenomenon that begs for more research.

eshwaaz

Really enjoying the game, but the checkpoints are poorly-spaced and inconsistent. With some of the more wide-open areas, you can miss triggering a checkpoint if you don't take the route the developer expected.

In one area, I dropped down onto a rooftop, jumped over to another, and took out 3 soldiers. I then grabbed a sniper rifle and took out 5 guys at street level, dropped down to the street, and engaged in a fairly lengthy battle with the remaining soldiers. I made my way back to the rooftops, took out a few more guys, and was then killed by a helicopter - I had to start the entire area over again.

The next time, I dropped down again and jumped over to the next roof again, but this time I went over to another building with an enclosed walkway and... checkpoint.

The first time, I'd gone at least 15 minutes with no checkpoint. The second, I hit a checkpoint in about 20 seconds. It's aggravating, and severely limits my desire to do the kind of exploring and experimenting that the game's structure and design seem to encourage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ColonialRaptor said:
I'm just up to the bit where hargrave starts talking to you... anyone who's finished tell me how much further I have to go?
Do you mean the point where Hargreave starts talking to you for the first time? If so you're only about a third into the game.

heyf00L

smik said:
the invisibility cloak breaks/ruins the MP in this game, totally takes out the fun and on top of that there is a real lack of weapon selection.

SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR
CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,ARMOR,CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,

this video about sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RVSbJysLDQ

the game does have great graphics though but thats not enough for me
Help me out here. I thought nanovision countered invisibility.

And yes, peer-to-peer is lame, but nearly every game on Live is peer-to-peer.

Stitch

Gold Member
forcing anti-aliasing through the driver doesn't seem to work!?
had it on 8 and didn't see a difference... i guess that's why they smeared vaseline all over the screen. and to hide the laughable textures.

JB1981

RoboPlato said:
It's great. Probably one of my favorite FPS of the generation and I'm not even done yet. I definitely think that this is going to be a strong GoTY contender. I'm constantly surprised at how engrossing it is. It's probably the most I've been enjoying an FPS campaign since HL2: Episode 2.

The first few chapters are kind of lackluster though. Eventually the game falls into its stride and it's awesome. Once you get to the wider encounters and the suit powers click the combat is fantastic. There are also a lot of quiet moments with some great atmosphere that really add to the experience. I highly recommend it.

I'm traveling
on the FDR right now after the quake collapsed the street and there is smoke and debris everywhere. there is a tank emplacement at the end of the road and I need to find a vehicle
. How far into the game am I? The game is hard as hell on vet and I'm in dire need of upgraded suit powers. The only upgrade I have is armor and I feel like I have to play very cautiously and do a lot of running and hiding from enemies.

RoboPlato said:
Do you mean the point where Hargreave starts talking to you for the first time? If so you're only about a third into the game.

Yeah, it was just after
I sat in the second chair.

Only a third of the way through??? SWEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been playing for I reckon 12 hours already.... totally taking my time, especially if it's taken me as long as it's supposed to take to finish the game to only get a third of the way :D

I've just gotten past that big outside area and making my way inside the infestation now

Sounds about right yeah?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stitch said:
forcing anti-aliasing through the driver doesn't seem to work!?
had it on 8 and didn't see a difference... i guess that's why they smeared vaseline all over the screen. and to hide the laughable textures.
Try using the config tool. Some people have posted screens with MSAA on and it looks great.

ColonialRaptor said:
Yeah, it was just after
I sat in the second chair.

Only a third of the way through??? SWEEEETTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been playing for I reckon 12 hours already.... totally taking my time, especially if it's taken me as long as it's supposed to take to finish the game to only get a third of the way :D

I've just gotten past that big outside area and making my way inside the infestation now

Sounds about right yeah?
Yep. I thought I had to be a good deal of the way through when I got there and then I looked at how long the chapter list was on the Extras screen. The game is really long but it's well paced. I like having an FPS for once that I can't finish in one or two sittings.

Sanjay

heyf00L said:
Help me out here. I thought nanovision countered invisibility.

And yes, peer-to-peer is lame, but nearly every game on Live is peer-to-peer.

Yeah Nanovision does, also when he says "Its a PC game" NO! It was a PC game :(

JB1981 said:
I'm traveling
on the FDR right now after the quake collapsed the street and there is smoke and debris everywhere
. How far into the game am I? The game is hard as hell on vet and I'm in dire need of upgraded suit powers. The only upgrade I have is armor and I feel like I have to play very cautiously and do a lot of running and hiding from enemies.

Judging by the fact that I'm apparently only a third of the way through, then i'd say you're only 20% through.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's funny. Every now and then I think to myself "This isn't as open as Crysis", "This is so much more streamlined in design", "They've pretty much removed vehicles completely", etc.

Then I remember I'm enjoying this more than Crysis.

I'm having a blast so far. It doesn't really feel like a Crysis 'sequel'. A lot of similarities, but it's so heavily changed that it does, in many ways, feel like a different take in the style. I think Crysis, as is, could still do with a sequel that has a greater focus on bigger sandbox environments, vehicles, etc. But what is here is tons of fun, and as a whole I'm enjoying it notably more.

I'm loving this game... the part I just did I reckon I was walking for about 15 - 20 minutes with no real enemy contacts (a few) got a very big half life travelling undetected through the sewers vibe.

Just keeps getting better and better and better.

EatChildren said:
It's funny. Every now and then I think to myself "This isn't as open as Crysis", "This is so much more streamlined in design", "They've pretty much removed vehicles completely", etc.

I'm having a blast so far. It doesn't really feel like a Crysis 'sequel'. A lot of similarities, but it's so heavily changed that it does, in many ways, feel like a different take in the style. I think Crysis, as is, could still do with a sequel that has a greater focus on bigger sandbox environments, vehicles, etc. But what is here is tons of fun, and as a whole I'm enjoying it notably more.

I'll maintain that if this was called Call of Duty: Future Warfare it would be totally acceptable and would sell truckloads of copies (and probably score a lot of 10/10).

dark10x said:
Yes, exactly!

I don't think it's the ultimate solution, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of clarity for extremely smoothness. I much prefer a jaggy free, but slightly blurry image to one full of jagged edges.
It's personal preference, I played through the game with it on and now with it off with it on yes, edges are amazingly clean, but it has an out of focus look to it that drives me crazy. Feels a lot like brute forcing 8xSSAA on game running at 1366x768 then being scaled to 2048x1152. It also kills the detail maps on surface textures which for me ends up being a bigger deal than the jagged edges.

I'd probably be enjoying it just as much as Crysis 1 if it weren't for the godawful checkpoint system and the fact that it basically punishes you for being a stealthy player.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EatChildren said:

I feel the same way. I only played about half of Crysis since I don't own a gaming PC but I feel like Crysis 2's atmosphere and greater level variety while maintaining a lot of combat options really make it something special.

Stitch

Gold Member
RoboPlato said:
Try using the config tool. Some people have posted screens with MSAA on and it looks great.
but isn't that the thing that makes the whole screen blurry!?

^oh yeah, and i hate the checkpoint system too. give me proper save and load function cryfail!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hmmm so my frist playthrough was on Extreme settings and on my Super Soldier Run, I decided to go with High settings for the locked 60 fps and uh a lot of the lighting effects are missing in certain spots. I really recommend going with Extreme/lighting maxed on a custom config if possible because that was easily the highlight of the visual for me.

BeeDog

I'll try asking again; since the MyCrysis website is completely fucked up (as far as I can tell), how can I find out what nick I used in conjunction with my used mail address? I can't log onto my account and register my serial key. :/ Thanks.

[Nintex]

My brother showed it to me on PC yesterday. I was shocked at how it looked and how good it was after all the bad impressions. Needless to say, I'm going to buy a new full HD IPS monitor so I can enjoy this in its full glory and finally stress out my HD5850 who's just having it way too easy on 1650x1080.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Stitch said:
but isn't that the thing that makes the whole screen blurry!?
Post-MSAA is what blurs it. If you use the config tool you can deactivate post-MSAA and use normal MSAA and it looks a lot cleaner.

JoeBoy101

DangerStepp said:
Yeah, post up your impressions. I'd be glad to read more short summaries of people's experiences and juxtapositions of their feelings on this vs. Crysis 1. Dennis seems to like the gameplay, which is good--I respect his opinion.

It's weird, because I view MGS4 the same way. It's a phenomenon that begs for more research.

As a shooter based solely on its own merits, its hardly bad. In fact, its pretty solid, and arguably in the top tier of shooters. It really does different things than some of the other stale shit, and even stale stable stuff that comes out annually or every other year. Weapons are more interesting than a CoD or BF:BC2, and the customization of weapons and suit really tailor the game to particular playstyles.

This is on top of some really good graphics and effects, and some good enemy design on the alien side.

BUT

Compared to its predecessor, it lacks. In Crysis, even if you don't have total freedom at times, they do a helluva job making you feel like you do. They encourage innovation and creative in handling enemy situations and even rewarded avoiding enemies entirely at times.

Crysis 2 does none of these things. No Quicksave. The levels feel cramped and claustrophobic. I never feel like I have enough room to move. The gimp to the suit's speed doesn't help, and your legitimate choices in handling situations boils down to stealth or guns blazing 90% of the time. Scouting a base out, looking for more organic options, or working out a diversion. None of these really work and you're left with a run and gun shootout, usually predicated on a stealth blast opening.

Frankly, its really weird. I think if I had to rate this game on a scale of 100, I'd give it 89, like PC Gamer did. Pretty damn high, because its a good shooter, but given its pedigree, I expected at least the same, if not more.

If you haven't played Crysis, I'd given a hearty recommendation to play it. If you have played Crysis, I'd give a stern warning that it could be disappointing.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ColonialRaptor said:
I'll maintain that if this was called Call of Duty: Future Warfare it would be totally acceptable and would sell truckloads of copies (and probably score a lot of 10/10).

I think a title like that would be a disservice :p. I know some people have tried the spin the whole "It's been Call of Duty'd", but it really hasn't at all. It plays nothing Call of Duty.

From what I can gather, pretty much all the issues with this game have to come from comparing it to Crysis. I think that is fair. This is Crysis 2 after all, and it is blatantly scaled back in many ways, almost certainly because of it's multi-platform nature. I think people have a right to be disappointed for those reasons, and I wouldn't lie if I said some of it didn't disappoint me. Some of the rougher corners are annoying, like not having any first person vehicle camera, and it's sad they scaled back a lot of the destruction (trees specfically) and have made vehicles far, far less integral to the design.

But that doesn't change the fact that what is here is rock solid and tons and tons of fun. Gameplay is a lot of fun, combat is meaty and satisfying, pacing is really tight, and it's open enough to play like nothing else while closed enough to keep the whole experience flowing.

It's different, but it's good different.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
It's different, but it's good different.
I thought I was pretty worn out on the game when I wrapped it up last night, but then I started another playtrough. I guess that says something (and no, not that I feel I need to rip my 60 dollars worth out of the game).

markao

After playing some more, I only miss the super speed, but enjoy the use (easier) of the suit more and the addition of "Mirrors Edge" movement, even things out.

Still annoyed by the suit voice telling me what to do, highlighting is mostly solved by not using the visor, unfortunately does not work on objects.

One question, is there an option to get rid of the "push key xx to do/interact" with things shown on screen all the time?

And I don't get the less interaction with environment compared to original. Only things not interactive/destructible are buildings/large trees, other things are. A friend sad the same thing and I captured just first 100 meter of a level early on to show the interaction, favorite is blowing up trucks :)

Crysis 2 interaction-destruction test

Loving the gameplay, even with a lesser openness, hope some MODS wil come out to remove the handholding in the game.

JoeBoy101

markao said:
Loving the gameplay, even with a lesser openness, hope some MODS wil come out to remove the handholding in the game.

I want to punch someone over the 'tutorial area' of the game. Way too restrictive, way too long.

DoomGyver

During my first play through I tried opening that easter egg elevator with the
dance party inside
and it wouldn't open. Does that unlock on the second play-through or was it just left out of the 360 version?

EatChildren

JoeBoy101 said:
I want to punch someone over the 'tutorial area' of the game. Way too restrictive, way too long.

And as I said before, it's got some weird ugly graphical problems that are improved in every level that follows after.

It's like the tutorial level was rushed at the last minute.

AEREC

Full Recovery said:
During my first play through I tried opening that easter egg elevator with the
dance party inside
and it wouldn't open. Does that unlock on the second play-through or was it just left out of the 360 version?

You have to hit an unmarked fuse box in that hallway first.

Dreohboy

For those offering negative opinions on the game, question. What fps that has come out over the last 12 months is a better gaming experience and why? I see a lot of "it aintCrysis" hate, but how does the game stack up on its own merit?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
EatChildren said:
And as I said before, it's got some weird ugly graphical problems that are improved in every level that follows after.

It's like the tutorial level was rushed at the last minute.
Yeah, that part was wasn't good. Especially since you can't use all of your suit powers until they tell you how to use each one. I was kind of regretting getting the game until a few chapters later and then the game becomes fucking amazing.

Just got the microwave gun... OMG so awesome.

And the big aliens.... jesus, I stuck four C4's to him without him knowing. BIG boom!

By the way, did anyone notice the actual coloured easter eggs in one section early on? There were these three coloured eggs, they didn't do anything but I thought that was cool.

I'd like to know about this
dance party
ppl are talking about.

Where about's in the game was this?

AEREC

So far the game has been running great for me on the PC aside from any level that has water with a city view in the background (including MP maps)...framerate seems to drop into the 20's during the pier level in single player which is right after the FDR section and on any MP level that has a water + city skyline (ie..light house & pier 17).

JoeBoy101

ColonialRaptor said:
There's a tutorial area?

Right after you wake up and have to wait until your suit unlocks its stealth, visor, and armor modes. Thus why the tutorial in quotes. Its not strictly a tutorial, but its trying to hand hold you through first using weapons, then suit modes, etc.

DoomGyver

ColonialRaptor said:
By the way, did anyone notice the actual coloured easter eggs in one section early on? There were these three coloured eggs, they didn't do anything but I thought that was cool.

I'd like to know about this
dance party
ppl are talking about.

Where about's in the game was this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQaeLcV_0bM

I also caught the easter eggs in the bush, made me smirk.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I finally got it off Steam this morning (UK). Off course I preloaded it but it just sat at 15% unencrypting my files like a lemon forcing me to re-download the lot again.

I've seen the PS3 version running (which looks great) but by god. Running on my Sony Bravia TV at 1080p on extreme looks stunning. I've got no idea why the PC folks are up in arms about this.

Looking forward to playing this on my 3d projector on a 120 inch screen when it gets dark tonight. The wife's going out and she's even bought me some beers. A perfect night.

Top Bottom