• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Rengoku

Played this for abit last night, while it runs really well on my system, I'm pretty disappointed with the low res textures. I seem to remember the original crysis had much better textures. Please tell me theres going to be a high res texture pack in future. I can understand the console versions having low res textures, but come on, why is it so hard to keep high res textures for the PC folk?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rengoku said:
Played this for abit last night, while it runs really well on my system, I'm pretty disappointed with the low res textures. I seem to remember the original crysis had much better textures. Please tell me theres going to be a high res texture pack in future. I can understand the console versions having low res textures, but come on, why is it so hard to keep high res textures for the PC folk?
Crysis had some terrible textures at times.

Nabs

smik said:
the invisibility cloak breaks/ruins the MP in this game, totally takes out the fun and on top of that there is a real lack of weapon selection.

SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR,SCAR
CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,ARMOR,CLOAK ENGAGED,CLOAK ENGAGED,

this video about sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RVSbJysLDQ

the game does have great graphics though but thats not enough for me
Heh. Nanovision is the perfect counter to invisiblity. He should try using cloak more often, maybe use the drone attachment and set traps.

Mrbob

DennisK4 said:
Question for PC gamers:

Keyboard and mouse or 360 controller?

I have a controller but have used K+M so far, is the controller better?

By the way, K+M have worked fine, seems well implemented so far.

Campaign I'm using the 360 controller. Multi player I'm doing K + M.

Dreohboy

Rengoku said:

OH. K.

Time to fire up some vanilla Crysis 1 to compare because I have yet to see the original Crysis pop out much better textures on my 4870, but maybe I just missed it. Let me go play the original for a half an hour.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Rengoku said:
You're remembering wrong. Was just playing some Crysis 1 today and the textures are extremely similar. The only thing Crysis has over C2 is the use of POM, which doesn't work with AF so it wasn't that great anyways.

Mrbob

Liquid Helium said:
Is multiplayer broke on PC? Just spent an hour trying to get into a server, to no avail.

Yeah there seem to be some server issues right now. I was able to get online for a couple games last night but I had to do multiple server searches to get into one.

RedStep

ColonialRaptor said:
I experienced a moment where the AI went weird, I was cloaked and no one had seen me. All of a sudden one of the enemies shoots up a red flare, calls in air support and shoots a rocket at a group of his own dudes, killing 5 of them.

Maybe Crysis 2 is a secret Prototype crossover?

Also, I just realized that the two have a lot in common.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Both games have a mix of good and bad textures. I think Crysis might have been more consistent with nicer, higher res textures on most things, but it also had some ugly low res textures too. People are kidding themselves if they think Crysis was without a blemish.

Crysis 2 seems overall lower res for sure, but it still has some really nice textures here and there. Character textures are just as good as they were in Crysis, and I think the weapons look just as good if not better too.

Stitch

Gold Member
EatChildren said:
and I think the weapons look just as good if not better too.
but they are huuuugeee. some of them look like black super soakers.

i hate how this isn't a real sequel. more like a reboot.

i wanna know what happened to prophet, nomad and psycho :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's like they rushed parts. You'd think the alien goo texture, being all over the place in some areas, would look better than it does. Also any kind of splash particles just look bad, whether it's water or exploding aliens. Lots of little things here and there look off, and some bigger things. Falling dust/debris from half destroyed floors and roofs also looks really bad. Couldn't it just be a fog-like dust cloud instead? Falling chunks that disappear through the floor don't add to the realism, they take from it.

But overall it looks really great. And I like the default AA, to me it doesn't seem to blur detail, or look like vaseline, it's all there, just without as many jaggies.

So, will there be an SDK? Would love some more Crysis 2 fun without having to wait for Crysis 3. The Urban environment is more interesting to me than Crysis. Would be nice if some modders got leaning back in too, the cover mode thing only seems to work on certain surfaces and rarely if ever works around doorways or plain old walls.

Alextended said:
So, will there be an SDK? Would love some more Crysis 2 fun without having to wait for Crysis 3.
Their long term plan is to release Sandbox UDK style without a game attached to it. Not sure when that's happening though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Jay Shadow said:
Their long term plan is to release Sandbox UDK style without a game attached to it. Not sure when that's happening though.
Well that's a completely different thing to what I asked. That isn't likely to include Crysis 2 assets and gameplay code, just a basic framework like UDK... Not all modders have the will or dedication or ability to create something from almost scratch, just with the engine... And if they do, they aren't gonna recreate Crysis 2. I'm sure it's going to lead to some pretty awesome things itself, but most likely nothing that will resemble Crysis gameplay. I'd like to have the game modable too, for this reason.

Ricker

evil solrac v3.0 said:
at times. but it had other spots where they looked quite beautiful. crysis 2 has some really ugly ones but other spots where it does well particularly on the ground.

Yep,at first when I started playing on the 360 I thought it looked good but after all the hype for the console look,I was expecting more...but I just did the on the way to the Church section last evening,and that looked freakin amazing on the 360 and the gameplay in that section is awesome...some of the cutscenes are awesome as well...I missed seeing the helicopter crash though...now i`m going into an underground corridor path now(those section remind me of F.E.A.R.),so it wont be as good looking but still,I love the game so far and the way you can decide how to approach things...that`s why the Church was awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
I think this just means I'm insane, but the pistol makes me think of a spider or something.

gun1tght.jpg

3376821657_e98165eae2_zcbf.jpg

DangerStepp

JoeBoy101[I said:
Impressions
Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected and your take falls in line with PC Gamer's review. In ways, my fears have been confirmed (more confinement, less variable situations) while other fears have been alleviated (PC gamers can manipulate more than we expected, the actual game is overall rather fun if not placed in the shadow of Crysis 1).

I don't know that it's been answered, but are you able to customize your weapon per Crysis 1 (silencer, flashlight, darts, etc)?

I'll check it out eventually, but I just cannot spend $60 like that right now; Witcher 2 is just right around the corner.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
LOVE the multiplayer aspect on PS3. Few little fixes and its the perfect replacement for my onlive needs.

Mad fun and you are not getting spawn killed 24/7 and NO Hackers!

JoeBoy101

dreamer3kx said:
Just started this, when I use the visor there's so much shit on the screen, icons everywhere, hate it.

After they get a patch or two out, I'm going to replay and ignore the visor. The visor mode is shit. Crowds the screen and puts false expectations of the current map. Ignore it and work with what you have.

DangerStepp said:
I don't know that it's been answered, but are you able to customize your weapon per Crysis 1 (silencer, flashlight, darts, etc)?
Yes. You can customize your weapon and now your suit on the fly. In single player. In multiplayer you have to pick those customizations ahead of time.

No darts or flashlights though. All the scopes are there, and several new options for the grenade launcher slot.

aegies

Stitch said:
but they are huuuugeee. some of them look like black super soakers.

i hate how this isn't a real sequel. more like a reboot.

i wanna know what happened to prophet, nomad and psycho :(

You find out EXACTLY what happened to Prophet.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If Crysis 2 and Warhead released simultaneously today...

No question, I would give the visual nod to Warhead.

JoeBoy101

DangerStepp said:
Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected and your take falls in line with PC Gamer's review. In ways, my fears have been confirmed (more confinement, less variable situations) while other fears have been alleviated (PC gamers can manipulate more than we expected, the actual game is overall rather fun if not placed in the shadow of Crysis 1).

Oh, Crytek didn't want us to manipulate it. The community instead responded and put out the utility program to do it. In fact, and some may not know this, console commands were initially blocked. The Day 1 patch re-enabled the console commands. If they hadn't done that (likely because of pressure from the community) then we wouldn't have been able to do anything at all.

DangerStepp said:

Yes. And you get more options too. Laser sight is better, and can get better under the barrel options. Plus silencers for most weapons, including shotguns.

eso76

dark10x said:
You're remembering wrong. Was just playing some Crysis 1 today and the textures are extremely similar. The only thing Crysis has over C2 is the use of POM, which doesn't work with AF so it wasn't that great anyways.

i am under the impression that Crysis 2 also uses a much greater variety of textures at all times.

Finished the game on X360 (great, unfortunately the last 3 / 4 acts were rather dull) and just tried it on my PC for comparison. I thought my GPU was way too old to get any entertainment out of the game but i was curious.

Win7 - 64 Q6600 stock, 3GB ddr2 - an old nvidia GT 8800 (not even GTS) . Well, fuck me sideways.
The game suggested i ran 1024x768 and Gamer profile, but i ignored it and set it to 1920x1080 instead and medium profile.
With those settings I get around the same performance as the X360 version, which was totally unexpected.
i then switched to Gamer profile, still 1080p, and i was getting 60fps most of the time with v sync enabled.

Also, i don't understand what people have against Crytek's AA on PC. I really like how it makes the IQ just a little softer / more organic without sacrificing crispness.

Stitch

Gold Member
aegies said:
You find out EXACTLY what happened to Prophet.
that short cameo at the beginning?

wow just got to a point where the game is spawning an endless amount of enemies. and it even spawns them right in front of you.

Sethos

Banned
Stitch said:
wow just got to a point where the game is spawning an endless amount of enemies. and it even spawns them right in front of you.

Thank god I wasn't the only one noticing that. Fuck me, I see enemies pop up right in front of me! Even clear an area completely, turn my back to a corner and bam! an enemy spawns randomly.

JoeBoy101

eso76 said:
Also, i don't understand what people have against Crytek's AA on PC. I really like how it makes the IQ just a little softer / more organic without sacrificing crispness.

I was under the impression that the AA, though decent, was the worst optimized aspect of their engine, causing a large hit comparatively. I agree with you though, as I at least throw on 2xAA.

Stitch said:
that short cameo at the beginning?

i don't think you can call his appearance a cameo. i don't think you can say that at all.

Much of this isn't true:
DennisK4 said:
CryTek goofed up in a couple of places:

1. Massively downgraded water
The water tech is the exact same used in Crysis 1 (check the PDF by the engine designer). Only difference is that one game has beautiful clear tropical water and the other has NYC water. The tech is the same. It's just not true.

2. Bad textures
You mentioned they were the exception and I agree but take into account how much more they had to texture in this game, like several times the amount of textures were needed due to the setting. Why is this being ignored?

4. Huge gun takes up to much screen space
Agreed

5. Atrocious shadow quality
Doesn't make any sense. The shadowing looks so much better thanks to the god tier lighting. In both games I've had to put the shadows on medium because they looked better, even though higher settings looked more lifelike. That blurry shadow outline is how it looks in real life unfortunately lol.

eso76

JoeBoy101 said:
I was under the impression that the AA, though decent, was the worst optimized aspect of their engine, causing a large hit comparatively. I agree with you though, as I at least throw on 2xAA.

that i wouldn't know since i haven't played with settings yet (probably won't anyway) but i am impressed the game runs so well at 1080p on a 8800 GT: if using a more traditional AA method further improves performances significantly i am even more impressed.

JoeBoy101

eso76 said:
that i wouldn't know since i haven't played with settings yet (probably won't anyway) but i am impressed the game runs so well at 1080p on a 8800 GT: if using a more traditional AA method further improves performances significantly i am even more impressed.

Well, that just using the stock settings with Crysis. I know your probably playing with an eye towards graphics fidelity between the two games, but community configs and packages like RealLifesys (sp?) improve performance as well, while improving IQ.

Blizzard said:
I think this just means I'm insane, but the pistol makes me think of a spider or something.

gun1tght.jpg

3376821657_e98165eae2_zcbf.jpg

I see it too!

I completely agree with you, and now it's a 'can't unsee' thing that I will always think about whenever I am holding that gun.

Gowans

I feel like I'm playing it wrong by stealthing everywhere, in fact I don't even want to be stealthing I want to be shooting... Shoot & die :(

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Just beat the game on super soldier difficulty and my trophy for beating 12 levels on super soldier doesn't unlock but the trophy for beating the game on super soldier does unlock. I go to my chapter select and all the levels are completed on super soldier setting. Am i doing something wrong? haha

Gowans007 said:
I feel like I'm playing it wrong by stealthing everywhere, in fact I don't even want to be stealthing I want to be shooting... Shoot & die :(
then turn down the difficulty a notch and shoot. it might technically be an easier setting, but it isn't easier than stealthing your way around, so you shouldn't feel any shame in it.

Hixx

Gowans007 said:

I'm only up to chapter 3 but I feel the same. But then I feel like I'm doing it wrong if I go in guns blazing as well. You can spend far too long cloaked as it is & combined with the pretty bad AI it makes it too easy. I've only had one real firefight but any time I felt in a bit of danger 'lol cloak' and there's nothing they can do.

So far I kind of feel like I'm playing a tech demo but I know I'm only an hour in and surely things will pick up.

markao said:
After playing some more, I only miss the super speed, but enjoy the use (easier) of the suit more and the addition of "Mirrors Edge" movement, even things out.
[/url]
This echoes my thoughts as well. The loss of maximum speed is a big disappointment but the fact that you automatically run over small obstacles and can ledge grab everything makes traversing around the environment more smooth and fluid. Fluid is the best way to describe it I think.

EatChildren said:
Speed disappearing is the only thing that disappoints me. A super dash of sorts to slam into enemies with a charge, and slide around Vanquish style, would have been really great, and would have capped off the suit changes perfectly in my opinion.
This is such a great idea. I wish Crytek could read that lol. You'd be like the juggernaut

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Gowans007 said:

I played exactly how you are in the first 6 chapters but after that i just started to shoot around with my armor on. Makes the game a lot better.

skyfinch

iamvin22 said:
Just beat the game on super soldier difficulty and my trophy for beating 12 levels on super soldier doesn't unlock but the trophy for beating the game on super soldier does unlock. I go to my chapter select and all the levels are completed on super soldier setting. Am i doing something wrong? haha

I've had achievements not show up as well. I swear, I must have stealth killed 100 enemies, but still did not get the 25 stealth kill achievement.

Love this game, btw. Very annoyed by the constant pop up and some awful shadows, but at its best, this game is stunning. Lighting and the amount of detail on some levels are unrivaled (on Xbox). Also love the controls. Thought it would be a problem with the lower frame rate but this is not the case.

It runs great. In 1920x1080 on Very High the game runs at just about 60fps throughout. Slightly dipping to 50, never anything below. With some tweaks added, it still runs mostly at 60.
On Extreme at the same resolution, it is about 45fps on average.

And Dennis, which commands would I need to make sure all AA is turned off?
These are the ones I have:
r_motionblur = 0
r_PostMSAA=0
g_radialBlur=1
r_UseEdgeAA=0

i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_accel_max=100
i_mouse_smooth=0
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16

sys_spec_shading=3
sys_spec_gameeffects=3
sys_spec_objectdetail=3
sys_spec_particles=3
sys_spec_physics=3
sys_spec_postprocessing=3
sys_spec_shadows=3
sys_spec_sound=3
sys_spec_texture=3
sys_spec_water=3

I had that config running on Very High, and tried it on Extreme and the gun model on the pistol and the hexagons on the nanosuit just don't pop like they do on yours. So I was just curious. :)

Mrbob

Gowans007 said:

Don't forget you have maximum armor. The bullets pelt off you like running water with armor turned on.

Top Bottom