• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

FeD.nL

I've had some great firefights in my first playthrough on veteran. Especially once you get past
the cradle on wall street
and start fighting the ceph the game really picks up. I agree stealth is abit overpowered though but you dont have to use it, I used armor more then stealth in the end.

You're really powerful if you use armor to your advantage. Pop out and kill two or three dudes with armor activated then hide somewhere for a bit and your suit recharges quickly and you can repeat. Don't be afraid to die in this game. You are a billion dollar weapon you know, take advantage of your suit. That said, going stealth is perfectly fine as well. Sometimes I'll avoid fighting unless it's completely necessary. Whatever you do is up to you.

Gowans007 said:
OK gona take a break then play using armour & not stealth and see how I go.
I just got far enough to afford deflect so now I'm walking around like a heavy whenever I find a machine gun. A fun change of pace for the stealth whore that I usually am.

FeD.nL

As stated before I really love how the new suit works, it really feel as a whole, as one weapon, as opposed to the four separate modes you got in Crysis. But really it's up to the player to utilize it in their own way. Just traversing the terrain is a blast in crysis 2 imo.

I can't help but disagree with those saying from a technical standpoint 2 looks worse than 1.

TL;DR: Cry Engine 3 is the same as CE2, Crysis 2 has exactly the same features built in that Crysis 1 did. If it looks worse to you, it's probably down to your taste about New York vs tropical island.

Cry Engine 3 is exactly the same as Cry Engine 2. Hell it even has more options technically. It works exactly the same way as CE2. The built Crysis 2 on the editor just like they did with the first game and the expansion. Every technical aspect works just as it did before, and if it doesn't, it works better because they implemented a new way to do it. CE3 is an updated CE2 so water, motion blur, particles, character models, shaders, physics, shadows, post processing, you name it - works the same way, can look the same way, and it does in fact look the same in Crysis 2.

Character models look the same, that great object and radial motion blur looks the same, the depth of field looks even better because it's now bokeh (don't think they had that in CE2), water looks as great, and just by looking to it you can see it's pretty much copy paste from what we had in Crysis 1, shadows are the same.

I think I'm repeating myself here, you get the idea right?

The difference between Crysis 1 and 2, technically, comes down to whataver is the difference YOU want to have. Think shadows look worse? Tweak them, add cvars to the autoexec, make them look as good as you want to. Same goes for w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r technical aspect you can think of. I was tweaking the LOD to my liking a few hours ago. I even got the game to load everything but buildings within 5 meters of me. I can make the LOD better than Crysis 1 if I want to. You can turn off that blurry AA too you know. Add whatever AA you prefer after.

It's virtually impossible to say Crysis 2 looks worse than 1 from a technical standpoint, save for the odd thing like POM.

If you tell me you don't like it being in NY, or that you don't like the lightning, then I 100% respect that - these are the things that are down to artistic preferences, and just as Crytek thought they were the best, you may not think so. But that's purely personal preference.

JB1981

I almost feel like the best way to play this game is with Nanovision. I have a hard time spotting enemies. I mean, I use my visor and all but then I forgot about the arrows or I lose sight of them in the midst of a battle and I feel like the enemies are like little sprites in the distance. Is it approprite to play this game very slow and stealthily? I have one armor upgrade and I can take some damage but armor+sprint kills your energy so I feel like I spend a lot of time hiding and regenerating. Basically I want to be a BAD ASS and I can't.

Blizzard

Banned
JB1981 said:
I almost feel like the best way to play this game is with Nanovision. I have a hard time spotting enemies. I mean, I use my visor and all but then I forgot about the arrows or I lose sight of them in the midst of a battle and I feel like the enemies are like little sprites in the distance. Is it approprite to play this game very slow and stealthily? I have one armor upgrade and I can take some damage but armor+sprint kills your energy so I feel like I spend a lot of time hiding and regenerating. Basically I want to be a BAD ASS and I can't.
Interestingly, I felt the same exact way in Crysis 1. If I would try to sprint at enemies, I would quickly run out of energy by the time I got close, and then get mowed down without energy to escape. Same sort of thing with using stealth or strength at close range. I think the last time I tried it I had better success, but I feel like it'd be a lot more manageable with double the energy meter or something silly like that.

My first Crysis 1 (I think, might have been Warhead) attempt was also super frustrating due to machine gun soldiers sniping me from hundreds of feet away. Seemed like perfect accuracy, and at one point I was cloaked moving around a guy in a vehicle, and he'd like swivel his head to stare exactly in my direction, though not moving or shooting or anything. Maybe it's supposed to be him hearing my footsteps as I'm crouched and moving or something, but still. :p

Phantom Limbs said:
True, but....you can't possibly say the water splash effect (when bullets hit water) looks better in Crysis 2 than it does in Crysis 1....

Don't remember in all honesty, but if you say so I believe in you... But then again, you can tweak that can't you?

I didn't mention textures - I think they're on par in Crysis 1 personally, and I think they aimd for the same look with them, but if you don't like them I think I can understand that.

aegies

plagiarize said:
i don't think you can call his appearance a cameo. i don't think you can say that at all.

Yeah. You find out much more about what happened to Prophet between the first and second game as things go on. He's very important.

Also, you guys are getting a six issue miniseries covering the events between Crysis/Warhead and Crysis 2 this summer.

JB1981 said:

U can play this any way you like :)

I tag enemies just to be aware of them when I am in cover regenerating and planning my attack. Then once I go all offensive, I forget all of that stuff because hopefully by then, I already have a good idea where the enemies are, and adjust accordingly using my armor.

StuBurns

Banned
I was doubtful earlier, but a few hours in now, it's getting consistently better, it's looking and performing better too actually. Very cool.

kitch9

Banned
This game makes my GPU 9-10C hotter than an hours loop of the heaven benchmark.... Impressive its lighting more transistors up at the same time than that benchmark.

pix

Found my first hacker in Multiplayer on PC. Aimbot, and no walls. He only died once because he ran out of ammo. :(

BTW ranked is working for me now. I love the classic game modifier. No suit powers, no perks, just straight up killing shit.

Heavy said:
This echoes my thoughts as well. The loss of maximum speed is a big disappointment but the fact that you automatically run over small obstacles and can ledge grab everything makes traversing around the environment more smooth and fluid. Fluid is the best way to describe it I think.

This is such a great idea. I wish Crytek could read that lol. You'd be like the juggernaut
So you wish Crytek could keep functionality that was already in their previous game...

I really hope they fix the ps3 lag. There is nothing more annoying than watching the killcam to see they you were killed by one pistol bullet to the stomach.

TUROK

Phantom Limbs said:
True, but....you can't possibly say the water splash effect (when bullets hit water) looks better in Crysis 2 than it does in Crysis 1....
The splash effect is definitely better in Crysis 2. Crysis 1's splash effect was a simple alpha texture, but now it's a blended normal map. The ripples look much more realistic this time around.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This game makes both my PS3 and PC run much hotter than normal. I think I could have broiled sausages on the back and underside of my PS3 last night. My PC was warming me up last night at my desk.

Ywap

Anyone else experiencing a rather significant lag between the button press and the actual jump in the game? (PC version)

Enosh

got to level 10

8vs8 is fucking bullshit, tdm isn't even worth playing, everyone gets like 5-6 kills and the thing is over, crash site is just a clusterfuck of stupidity, especialy on small maps like that city councill one

I knew the god damned "omg need 64vs64!!!!!1111" whiners would ruin the MP for me -.-

tried searching for some 12 player servers, found one, 150-200 ping and DC after first game, anyone knows of a good Euro server?

Enosh said:
got to level 10

8vs8 is fucking bullshit, tdm isn't even worth playing, everyone gets like 5-6 kills and the thing is over, crash site is just a clusterfuck of stupidity, especialy on small maps like that city councill one

I knew the god damned "omg need 64vs64!!!!!1111" whiners would ruin the MP for me -.-

tried searching for some 12 player servers, found one, 150-200 ping and DC after first game, anyone knows of a good Euro server?
That's because we're used to playing on maps about 20x bigger than the ones here
subversus said:
any news on DX11 patch?
don't hold your breath.

DennisK4 said:
I am sorry, but come on, there is no way that the game looks like that on PC with Hardcore settings.

Post the original size screenshot with no compression.

Crysis22011-03-2518-56-35-01.png

Ok so here it is uncompressed. Taken using Fraps.

Impressive but not at the clarity and level of your shots and I have everything maxed.

EDIT - photobucket is resizing my images. So I can't post large files. Sorry.

Anyway I'm loving the gameplay. The guns feel far better than the first and the linearity doesn't bother me, especially as there are many open areas where stealth can be used.

Also - love the music!

Sethos

Banned
Appollowexx said:
Crysis22011-03-2518-56-35-01.png

Ok so here it is uncompressed. Taken using Fraps.

Impressive but not at the clarity and level of your shots and I have everything maxed.

If that's the original size, what are you playing it on, an iPad?

What's the command to disable that glow effect every light shows? The one ala Mass Effect 2. I've tried r_GlowAnamorphicFlares=0 but it doesn nothing. Tried r_Flares=0 too...

crysis2i.png

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
subversus said:
that does mean no patch in foreseeable future? I'm sort of want to play the game but with all bells and whistles.
I don't think you need DX11 for all the bells and whistles. Just like you didn't need DX10 for them in Cry1. Seems like that kind of stuff is mostly a marketing thing.

kamspy

This game resets my Windows display calibration. Anyone know a way around or at least an easy way to go back to my last cal?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
are there any graphics tweak configs? My 6950 will rape this game in DX9, I want to squeeze maximum of what it is possible.

bhlaab

-bakalhau- said:
I can't help but disagree with those saying from a technical standpoint 2 looks worse than 1.

TL;DR: Cry Engine 3 is the same as CE2, Crysis 2 has exactly the same features built in that Crysis 1 did. If it looks worse to you, it's probably down to your taste about New York vs tropical island.

Cry Engine 3 is exactly the same as Cry Engine 2. Hell it even has more options technically. It works exactly the same way as CE2. The built Crysis 2 on the editor just like they did with the first game and the expansion. Every technical aspect works just as it did before, and if it doesn't, it works better because they implemented a new way to do it. CE3 is an updated CE2 so water, motion blur, particles, character models, shaders, physics, shadows, post processing, you name it - works the same way, can look the same way, and it does in fact look the same in Crysis 2.

Character models look the same, that great object and radial motion blur looks the same, the depth of field looks even better because it's now bokeh (don't think they had that in CE2), water looks as great, and just by looking to it you can see it's pretty much copy paste from what we had in Crysis 1, shadows are the same.

I think I'm repeating myself here, you get the idea right?

The difference between Crysis 1 and 2, technically, comes down to whataver is the difference YOU want to have. Think shadows look worse? Tweak them, add cvars to the autoexec, make them look as good as you want to. Same goes for w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r technical aspect you can think of. I was tweaking the LOD to my liking a few hours ago. I even got the game to load everything but buildings within 5 meters of me. I can make the LOD better than Crysis 1 if I want to. You can turn off that blurry AA too you know. Add whatever AA you prefer after.

It's virtually impossible to say Crysis 2 looks worse than 1 from a technical standpoint, save for the odd thing like POM.

If you tell me you don't like it being in NY, or that you don't like the lightning, then I 100% respect that - these are the things that are down to artistic preferences, and just as Crytek thought they were the best, you may not think so. But that's purely personal preference.

Well there's a major problem: Crysis 1 looked significantly worse whenever you stepped out of the jungle. Get to a concrete docks area-- lots of small details meant tons of aliasing, the textures are muddy and grody, the engine showing a huge lack of playing to its strengths the whole deal.

So what do they do? Set their sequel in a concrete city, then cut off the corners to make the game run better on consoles, THEN remove a ton of cvars so the graphics can't be improved with config files.

As for the AA, you can't add in any type of AA you want because its not compatible and if you disable the awful temporal AA you get jaggies all over the shit. (Hell, you still get jaggies with the temporal AA since that does nothing to inhibit them, it just blurs the whole image so you don't notice them as much)

Got the game today, loving it to bits. Vehicle sections are a bit lol though, mostly because of the stupid AI. Like, four guys see my tank. Two of them run towards my tank and shoot at it with a rifle. One of them plain forgot my tank was hostile and started walking alongside me. The last dude was smart and took cover, but it all went wrong when he killed himself with his own grenade.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
mbmonk said:
There are 3 out of those 14 pics you posted that have textures as bad as the one in C2. All that did was make want to go back and play C1 again.

they're all fucking terrible.

Crysis always had worse textures compared to competition.

Fully dynamic lighting though.

MickeyKnox said:
So you wish Crytek could keep functionality that was already in their previous game...
I don't remember does it knock them way far into the air like the Juggernaut?

shinnn said:
more X360 screens
How in the hell do some of these screens look better than the PC screens posted (excluding DennisK4's)? Awesome screenshots dude...however you took them.

Appollowexx said:
EDIT - photobucket is resizing my images. So I can't post large files. Sorry.

Also - love the music!
Try uploading it here http://www.abload.de/

Lostconfused said:
No, it just knocks them down.
Oh ok then yeah that's lame, not what I was referring to.

Pimpbaa said:
Link? Or are you just pulling this out of your ass?

I'm not sure there's anything to link to, they just haven't said anything about a dx11 patch coming anytime soon. It's coming someday, but so is Jesus supposedly.

bhlaab said:
Well there's a major problem: Crysis 1 looked significantly worse whenever you stepped out of the jungle. Get to a concrete docks area-- lots of small details meant tons of aliasing, the textures are muddy and grody, the engine showing a huge lack of playing to its strengths the whole deal.

So what do they do? Set their sequel in a concrete city, then cut off the corners to make the game run better on consoles, THEN remove a ton of cvars so the graphics can't be improved with config files.

As for the AA, you can't add in any type of AA you want because its not compatible and if you disable the awful temporal AA you get jaggies all over the shit. (Hell, you still get jaggies with the temporal AA since that does nothing to inhibit them, it just blurs the whole image so you don't notice them as much)
so it gets rid of them, albeit it in a way that has other costs. you can't say it doesn't get rid of them.

what they did was demonstrate that they could make an urban environment in their engine run as well as the jungles they were known for and look damn nice at the same time. whether it was the sole purpose of doing so i'm sure this will help them get licensees as they have demonstrated both the flexibility and scalability of Cry Engine 3.

Sethos

Banned
Characters in the game are modelled beautifully but they all have this slight derp expression on their face when you talk to them :p

1.png

Top Bottom