• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

TheExodu5

Banned
crysis2_4.png

crysis2_5.png

EviLore said:
I mentioned earlier in the thread, but I read Blindsight by Peter Watts recently and I found it to be intriguing and thought-provoking hard scifi.

His Crysis novelization could very well be good.
Hmm I'll have to check that out, I'm always up for a good scifi book.

StuBurns said:
I guess scifi was the wrong word, Crysis 1 is scifi too, I guess futuristic was my point. It feels fairly current really, maybe I misunderstood the discussion in that regard.
I guess I meant futuristic and shouldn't have tried to use Sci Fi as a catchall term.

EviLore said:
I mentioned earlier in the thread, but I read Blindsight by Peter Watts recently and I found it to be intriguing and thought-provoking hard scifi.

His Crysis novelization could very well be good.
The excerpt is certainly not too bad. But then again I don't think I am the best judge of novelizations.

TheExodu5

Banned
universalmind said:
What autoexec settings?

g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=70==68
r_DrawNearFoV=68
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=68
i_mouse_accel=0
i_mouse_smooth=0

I'm basically playing vanilla, with an fov of 68. MSAA won't play nice with SLI, so I need to stick with edge AA for the time being.

strata8

It's alright. Why so much profanity, though? Is that the new trend, or something?
Seems like the in-game dialogue is based off the novel, or vice-versa. It might just be how Peter Watts writes (although it eases off a lot by the end of the excerpt).

It's alright. Why so much profanity, though? Is that the new trend, or something?
Well no one would believe that your protagonist is a marine if he doesn't swear all the god damn fucking time.

Edit: Also swearing lets you know that its gritty, serious and dark.

EviLore said:
Yeah, I was able to just keep going, as Pookaki suggested. Big climactic set piece never happened, but at least I'm not stuck.

Video of the glitches uploaded here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QciBjdk3fCQ

:lol

Crytek has always had tons of scripting problems in their games though. Especially helicopters for some reason. It really ruins the experience though if it happens on your first playthrough though.

TheBez

When I played the demo the screen would get a bunch of black vertical lines after a few minutes of playing. I wouldn't be able to alt-tab, alt-f4, ctrl-alt-del, or even windows key out of it. It's been happening with some other games as well, so far only Homefront though. My computer can run both of those games according to systemrequirementslab.com. What's the deal? I'm hesitant to pick this up if it just black screens.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I got a question about an event that happens around the 8th chapter or so, i kinda want to know what happens when
Im at a part where i come out of a hotel and am captured by the CELL guys, they take me in a heli and then it crashes cause of aliens. Basically i get up and shoot some aliens and then see two pods drop from the sky and a new enemy comes out. Im moving kinda away from it so i dont get a great view, and i see a message flash on screen saying something like 'escape enemy'. Before i know it the screen is fading to black and a movie starts, and then next chapter im lying down in a ditch somewhere and its raining. I have no idea what the heck happened between me moving away from the robot and me getting up. Did i glitch out? Im on 360 btw.

~Kinggi~ said:
I got a question about an event that happens around the 8th chapter or so, i kinda want to know what happens when
Im at a part where i come out of a hotel and am captured by the CELL guys, they take me in a heli and then it crashes cause of aliens. Basically i get up and shoot some aliens and then see two pods drop from the sky and a new enemy comes out. Im moving kinda away from it so i dont get a great view, and i see a message flash on screen saying something like 'escape enemy'. Before i know it the screen is fading to black and a movie starts, and then next chapter im lying down in a ditch somewhere and its raining. I have no idea what the heck happened between me moving away from the robot and me getting up. Did i glitch out? Im on 360 btw.

No - that's supposed to happen, you're about 1/3 of the way through BTW.

So I think I kind of like the "blurriness" of PostMSAA=1 combined with Edge AA=3 the best out of everything I've tried. Turning PostMSAA off completely really shows some aliasing pretty bad. I'd imagine 8x forced AA would look best though, has anyone figured out how to do that? (nvidia)

Still impressed the game is so well optimized and generally polished, but that makes it even more surprising that lots of people (including me) seem to regularly run into very basic bugs like losing all your nanocatalyst points and losing the ability to melee.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good lord Crytek should of cut the first four hours or so or at least significantly cut a portion of the beginning. It's disgusting how much better this game becomes after I'm only fighting aliens.
Hmm, so odd that you say that as the first third of the game is my favorite, actually. :\

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Echoing that. The first third of this game is really just truly dreadful. Feels nothing like Crysis 1.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I really miss the death animation/effect of the aliens from Crysis/Warhead. Fighting the aliens wasn't so fun but watching them shoot that blue shit out then explode was.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
You have to enter it in when you log into mycrysis, if you haven't done so already. Do it in all lower case, that's what worked for me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Don't know how much truth there is to this

On another note, there appear to be placeholder files for DX10 and DX11 in several places, so hopefully this indicates they will go through with patching them in. There also appears to be placeholder graphics levels for the game since each graphics console command goes from 1-6, but 3 corresponds with "Extreme" mode right now.

Agreed about the first third. Once you hit
Wall Street
the game just blows you away. Is it necessary to put a spoiler around that? That entire area is huge and really opens up ways to tackle the objectives. The game doesn't let up after that. Non-stop blockbuster shit. I'm having so much FUN. I spent months and months to beat the original Crysis, partly because I was trying to savor each level rather than rush through it and partly because I'd get bored or lack motivation for some reason. C2 just hooks you in after the first 4-5 chapters and doesn't let go. I think the NYC setting was a genius move.

ColonialRaptor said:
I also seem to prefer fighting the aliens...

Why is that?
Why not? They jump around everywhere, take cover dynamically, flank you, chase you, run away. So much better than the CELL soldiers. And also 10x better than the floating squid aliens in the original. The character models for them are so good too... love the shiny futuristic look.

Lingitiz

Aliens seem way more fun to fight although its hard to explain way. That being said, i felt like they paced fighting between aliens, soldiers, and both at the same time pretty well.
Heavy said:
Agreed about the first third. Once you hit
Wall Street
the game just blows you away. Is it necessary to put a spoiler around that? That entire area is huge and really opens up ways to tackle the objectives. The game doesn't let up after that. Non-stop blockbuster shit. I'm having so much FUN. I spent months and months to beat the original Crysis, partly because I was trying to savor each level rather than rush through it and partly because I'd get bored or lack motivation for some reason. C2 just hooks you in after the first 4-5 chapters and doesn't let go. I think the NYC setting was a genius move.
Yeah i'm really glad that towards the end they didn't let go of the pace. They just kept throwing you in big areas with options for you to figure out. Really enjoyed the later parts of the campaign. Alot of games these days tend to lose that main gameplay loop when barrelling towards the end, so it was nice to see the campaign stay solid.

Messi

Y2Kev said:
Echoing that. The first third of this game is really just truly dreadful. Feels nothing like Crysis 1.

Is this the truth? I have played about an hour and I really don't like it so far. Enough that I am considering just giving up. Everyone seems to have sniper vision when I am not cloaked.

Messi said:
Is this the truth? I have played about an hour and I really don't like it so far. Enough that I am considering just giving up. Everyone seems to have sniper vision when I am not cloaked.
Yeah, definitely keep going if you can. I dunno, if you hated the first hour or two maybe it's not for you. But if you thought it was just OK and average, then definitely keep going.

And if you're dying a lot, don't forget to use the visor and tag the enemies before a big encounter so you'll be able to see them in your radar.

Tip: Silencer + whatever AR you wish + red dot sight + single bullet fire mode + aim for the head is a fantastic way to meticulously clear out an area without being detected if you enjoy being stealthy (I love it).

Massa

EviLore said:
I try to load up some multiplayer... "serial code is currently in use." Awesome.

Known bug. Known workaround:

1) "Load Crysis 2, go to multiplayer and type in your key"
2) "Navigate back to Single Player"
3) "Go back into multiplayer and re-enter your key"

Messi

Heavy said:
Yeah, definitely keep going if you can. I dunno, if you hated the first hour or two maybe it's not for you. But if you thought it was just OK and average, then definitely keep going.

And if you're dying a lot, don't forget to use the visor and tag the enemies before a big encounter so you'll be able to see them in your radar.

Tip: Silencer + whatever AR you wish + red dot sight + single bullet fire mode + aim for the head is a fantastic way to meticulously clear out an area without being detected if you enjoy being stealthy (I love it).

Will give it another go.

neoism

so I'm using version 1.2 of that tool. I can't really tell the difference... I should have all blur and AA off right. What about MSAA? MSAA makes it blurrier right? Also does anyone else have trouble running the 1.5 version of that tool. I run it as admin and it doesn't work. :(

StuBurns

Banned
Messi said:
Will give it another go.
I'd say at least get past level five 'Gate Keepers', for me that's where it starts getting cool, then just gradually improves, mission ten onwards is really awesome right till and including the end.

Wow at the crappy save system. Loading a prior checkpoint to show a friend a cool level meant that I had lost my latest checkpoint because it replaces the latest with the one you load. Didn't even move it down the list, just copied over it, forcing me to start the entire level again.

Just...horrible.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
guys forget weapons when fightin aliens, just run and melee the fuck out of them!
I even melee one of the big fat ones :)

//B1G

Banned
Why did I have less jaggies with vanilla settings than I do now? Right now I'm using a config someone posted like 10 pages back, but even using that utility and maxing out the MLAA I still had them.

This is my config:
Code:
sys_spec_full=4
sys_MaxFPS=60
sys_physics_CPU=4

es_MaxPhysDist=500

e_GIMaxDistance=100
e_ShadowsCastViewDistRatio=0.8
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes=1024
e_SkyUpdateRate=0.05
e_TerrainLodRatio=1
e_VegetationSpritesDistanceRatio=1.2
e_ViewDistMin=10
e_ViewDistRatio=60
e_ViewDistRatioCustom=60
e_ViewDistRatioDetail=30
e_ViewDistRatioLights=40
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation=45
e_WaterTesselationAmount=8
e_WaterTesselationAmountX=10
e_WaterTesselationAmountY=10
g_breakage_particles_limit=250
r_BeamsMaxSlices=300
r_ColorGrading=1
r_DetailDistance=20
r_MotionBlur=2
r_MotionBlurMaxViewDist=25
r_PostMSAA=0
r_RainDistMultiplier=2
r_ShowDynTexturesMaxCount=48
r_ShadowBlur=3
r_ShadowJittering=2.5
r_TexAtlasSize=2048
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize=128
r_UseEdgeAA = 3
r_UseMergedPosts=3
r_UsePOM=1
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes=128
r_VSync=1
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.01
r_WaterUpdateDistance=1.5
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.01
r_DepthOfFieldBokehQuality = 1

i_mouse_accel=0 
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=72
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=72
r_DrawNearFoV=72
d3d9_TextureFilter=trilinear

And it looks like this:

Help?

Finished the game today... feel like I'm echoing everyone else, but the final half/third was pretty awesome.

So what are the implications of the ending? Is Alcatraz completely dead and gone? Has Prophet taken over his body? Are they co-existing? Alcatraz is a corpse, right? What's Rasch's role in all this? Is Nomad and Psycho dead or bonkers or something? Hargreave's dead for sure, right? Also, why the heck does Alcatraz follow all of Hargreave's orders when it's obvious the guy's being shady as hell? I know he's mostly a corpse and can't talk and is dependent on the Nano-suit, but isn't he capable of independent thought? I did think the Nano-suit developing something of a personality (sorta, I guess that was Prophet's ghost in the machine) was neat.

//B1G said:
Why did I have less jaggies with vanilla settings than I do now? Right now I'm using a config someone posted like 10 pages back, but even using that utility and maxing out the MLAA I still had them.

This is my config:
Code:
sys_spec_full=4
sys_MaxFPS=60
sys_physics_CPU=4

es_MaxPhysDist=500

e_GIMaxDistance=100
e_ShadowsCastViewDistRatio=0.8
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes=1024
e_SkyUpdateRate=0.05
e_TerrainLodRatio=1
e_VegetationSpritesDistanceRatio=1.2
e_ViewDistMin=10
e_ViewDistRatio=60
e_ViewDistRatioCustom=60
e_ViewDistRatioDetail=30
e_ViewDistRatioLights=40
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation=45
e_WaterTesselationAmount=8
e_WaterTesselationAmountX=10
e_WaterTesselationAmountY=10
g_breakage_particles_limit=250
r_BeamsMaxSlices=300
r_ColorGrading=1
r_DetailDistance=20
r_MotionBlur=2
r_MotionBlurMaxViewDist=25
r_PostMSAA=0
r_RainDistMultiplier=2
r_ShowDynTexturesMaxCount=48
r_ShadowBlur=3
r_ShadowJittering=2.5
r_TexAtlasSize=2048
r_TexMaxAnisotropy=16
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize=128
r_UseEdgeAA = 3
r_UseMergedPosts=3
r_UsePOM=1
r_VegetationSpritesTexRes=128
r_VSync=1
r_WaterReflectionsMinVisiblePixelsUpdate=0.01
r_WaterUpdateDistance=1.5
r_WaterUpdateFactor=0.01
r_DepthOfFieldBokehQuality = 1

i_mouse_accel=0 
g_skipIntro=1
cl_fov=72
pl_movement.power_sprint_targetFov=72
r_DrawNearFoV=72
d3d9_TextureFilter=trilinear

And it looks like this:

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis22011-03-2600-27pgq7.png[/ig][/url]

Help?[/QUOTE]
needs moar Post-MSAA?

eshwaaz

Heavy said:
I've been taking a pretty aggressive approach so far, but I like the sound of that. Looking forward to trying that tomorrow.

Top Bottom