• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

seeds19

Banned
FUCK DHL and their crappy service, i'm waiting mi razer onza pad 1 week, 1FUCKING WEEK!, seriously the pad arrived to my country 3 days ago, and no signal to delivery at mi home, the customer service said monday is the day of delivery but i paid 20 fucking euros for 24h delivery WTF!!!!!!!!

I need the pad for play the sp campaign in pc properly, im feel bad with the keyboard and mouse, not even in MP, the extra precision of mouse is a plus.

BTW, i love the game a lot, but i disagree with crytek, for me the game its not a sequel, is a reboot and this make me feel unhappy.

jett

D-Member
Played about two hours of the campaign, graphics are all right, nothing has really blown me away, those textures are a disgrace, I've played PS3 games with better texture quality. Same weird gunplay and weak-feeling guns from the first Crysis, I really miss the openness of that game. Thought I'd be fine with the tunnel-funneling, but I'm not.

strata8

universalmind said:
Yes. It isn't hard. Space bar, let go of mouse button 3. How can that take more than a second, particularly if you know what you're doing?
Although you can't aim whilst using the wheel. Makes all the difference in an FPS.

universalmind said:
Yes. It isn't hard. Space bar, let go of mouse button 3. How can that take more than a second, particularly if you know what you're doing?
...you forgot you have to cloak back. And you have to do this every single time you want to super jump while cloaked, compared to just hold spacebar without thinking.

So it's: turn on strength mode -> space bar -> turn on cloak, every single time.

NotTarts said:
Although you can't aim whilst using the wheel. Makes all the difference in an FPS.
That, too.

aeolist

Banned
Really not enjoying the beginning of the game. Will push through and try to get to the better stuff but so far it's just intensely boring.

Also a lot of little things are bothering me, like how it takes an extra half-second after you let go of mouse 2 before the guns start animating away from the ADS position, or how the super jump and melee attacks are delayed. Also I miss speed mode not just for sprinting but for the little things like how it would make you reload faster.

derFeef

Hey there buddy, I just shot your mate in front of you and uncloaked. Why turn around and walk away? React! Fight with me!

argh...

Heavy said:
...you forgot you have to cloak back. And you have to do this every single time you want to super jump while cloaked, compared to just hold spacebar without thinking.
And if you do it once you can do it any number of times without any trouble.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I'm about halfway in the 360 version by now :

If I could sum up the game in one word it would be "compromise". It's a very unfortunate way for the successor of Crysis to end up.

On one hand you got the game on the console, looks pretty decent but the compromise is that it's virtually unplayable. On the other hand you have the pcversion that gives the impression of being your "run of the mill" console --> pc conversion. I.e higher res, more details, better everything but still not utilizing modern tech to the fullest ( like crysis 1 ). You could argue that C2 is more "optimized", but what is that really? There's no lever/slider in the devs software that's labeled "optimization", you gotta make compromises. And in the case of C2 there seem to have been too many made.

It's a shame that enthusiasts have to rely on the community to make a tool just in order to be able to change the visual settings to your hearts content. And , imo, if pc-gaming is going to keep advancing we need to get away from the " go to system.cfg and type... " scenarios, the options should be there from the get go. Sadly I can't help to think what would've happened if : a) Crytek actually made a console-exclusive cryis and b ) subsequently made a dedicated C2 for the pcplatform.

In the end everything feels like a clusterfuck, remove just the title of "Crysis 2" and the cloak-effect and you wouldn't even know this was a crysis game you were playing. Horrible A.I takes away from any potential sense of immersion. You also got your CoD-copy paste MP part, which I think is absolutely horrendous on the consoleversion.

I don't know what went wrong really, I was under the impression that Crysis 1 sold well even though it had the "you need a pc from the future"-stigma. I reckon that had C2 truly been able to shine on the pc then maybe they thought nobody would want a "gimped" consoleport, but that would be silly if true so who knows. I wonder, which upcoming game is going to be the next "technical/visual" crownjewel of pc-gaming, because Crysis 2 definitely missed that boat.

strata8

Corky said:
In the end everything feels like a clusterfuck, remove just the title of "Crysis 2" and the cloak-effect and you wouldn't even know this was a crysis game you were playing.
I honestly think this is a pretty ridiculous thing to say, but whatever.

Sidzed2

The fact that this game takes 4 hours and half a dozen chapters to actually get good is basically inexcusable.

When it's good, it's good, but Crysis 2 sure takes its time. The game peaks mid-way through and then drops off again for the final two chapters. A very uneven campaign.

Graphically, the game boasts some moments of pure awe, but overall I was far more blown away by Killzone 3 (and 2, for that matter). Although I am positive that Crysis 2 would be stupendous on PC (I'm on PS3).

I think the best thing about the game is its soundtrack, specifically its main theme.

jett said:
What's with the endless swarm of soldiers that show out of nowhere when you break cover anyway.
They are there to ineffectually harass you with their puny weapons while you brush them aside like pathetic mortals that they are.

Corky

StuBurns said:
Virtually unplayable? That's bollocks.

Really? So you don't think 15-20fps in heavy firefights is unplayable? You must be thinking about those 30fps moments of staring into a fucking rock...

NotTarts said:
I honestly think this is a pretty ridiculous thing to say, but whatever.

Crysis 1 was known for it's technical prowess, openended (keypoint) lush environments ( when every other fucking game is brown and more brown the junglesettings of crysis 1 were amazing ), better A.I than this one atleast, etc etc

If you really think it's a ridiculous thing to say, then please indulge me in what you think superficially connects the two games. Other than the obvious ; title, suit, suitvoice.

StuBurns

Banned
Corky said:
Really? So you don't think 15-20fps in heavy firefights is unplayable? You must be thinking about those 30fps moments of staring into a fucking rock...
All I can say is not once did I feel that the game's performance hindered my ability to fight, I have no idea exactly how low framerates ever got. In no way was it ever unplayable for me. And I was playing on PS3 which is apparently even worse than the 360 version.

Lostconfused said:
And if you do it once you can do it any number of times without any trouble.
Come on, objectively speaking, holding spacebar for half a second >>>>> turning on strength + spacebar + turning on cloak, regardless if you're awesome at it and it takes the same amount of time. It's OK to give the game props once in a while, nobody will hunt you down.

Sidzed2 said:
The fact that this game takes 4 hours and half a dozen chapters to actually get good is basically inexcusable.
I thought it got insanely good when you hit Wall Street. I dunno how many chapters that was, like 4 or 5? Actually I loved Lab Rat which was before Wall Street.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
StuBurns said:
All I can say is not once did I feel that the game's performance hindered my ability to fight, I have no idea exactly how low framerates ever got. In no way was it ever unplayable for me. And I was playing on PS3 which is apparently even worse than the 360 version.

According to DF, they're basically equally shitty.

The FDR level runs in slow motion some of the time.

Corky

StuBurns said:

Guess you're lucky then, because for me it totally got in the way of my enjoyment. Especially ( well, to be honest almost every part has been like this to a certain extent, like Y2kev said : fdr + smoke + nanovision = negative fps ) at that part where you get the majestic gun, trying to aim down the sight and hit something moving 10 yards away @ 20fps I'd always overshoot my aim by about half a mile to either side.

RedStep

Corky said:

Crysis 1 was known for it's technical prowess, openended (keypoint) lush environments ( when every other fucking game is brown and more brown the junglesettings of crysis 1 were amazing ), better A.I than this one atleast, etc etc

If you really think it's a ridiculous thing to say, then please indulge me in what you think superficially connects the two games. Other than the obvious ; title, suit, suitvoice.

It's pure hyperbole to say it's even close to unplayable. A ton of people are playing it with no problem on the 360 (myself included). The framerate is iffy at times but didn't cause me any trouble throughout my playthrough. That's not to say they shouldn't have cleaned it up, but I had a great time with the campaign. Judging from the review average, that seems to be the consensus.

To say it's not a sequel to Crysis is like saying Aliens is not a sequel to Alien because "Alien was known for being a claustrophobic horror film with one monster, not an action movie". It has differences, but is clearly a continuation of the story and style.

StuBurns

Banned
Corky said:
Guess you're lucky then, because for me it totally got in the way of my enjoyment. Especially ( well, to be honest almost every part has been like this to a certain extent, like Y2kev said : fdr + smoke + nanovision = negative fps ) at that part where you get the majestic gun, trying to aim down the sight and hit something moving 10 yards away @ 20fps I'd always overshoot my aim by about half a mile to either side.
I guess it makes a difference how you choose to play too, I tried to separate enemies and take them on individually whenever I could, where as I've seen people have hordes of aliens surrounding them which happened very rarely to me. The nanovision I've heard kills the framerate for a lot of people too, and I never experienced that, but I also very rarely used it because the game is never so dark I can't see better without it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RedStep said:
To say it's not a sequel to Crysis is like saying Aliens is not a sequel to Alien because "Alien was known for being a claustrophobic horror film with one monster, not an action movie". It has differences, but is clearly a continuation of the story and style.

As I explained in my post on the previous page, I do think Crysis 2 does a whole lot to really seperate itself from the style of Far Cry and Crysis. Not necessarily for 'worse' gameplay, but definitely different gameplay. The biggest levels of Crysis 2 dont come close to the biggest, most open levels of Crysis. Vehicles, which were a huge part of Crysis, are nearly removed entirely from Crysis 2. There's a lot of Crysis here, but there's a whole lot of Crysis that isn't.

As I also said, I probably enjoyed Crysis 2 as a whole more than Crysis, but for me it feels more like a spin-off or a reboot, because it did change quite a bit. There's still a whole lot of 'Crysis' that isn't present here, and I think those who were expecting a true successor to Crysis, in that environments were much larger, open, and had a heavier focus on sandbox gameplay, are well within their right to be disappointed.

Heavy said:
Come on, objectively speaking, holding spacebar for half a second >>>>> turning on strength + spacebar + turning on cloak, regardless if you're awesome at it and it takes the same amount of time. It's OK to give the game props once in a while, nobody will hunt you down.
I agreed that it was clunky in two different posts. What do you want from me?
RedStep said:
To me the suit felt like you were the predator. This time it feels like you are are a W40K space marine.

derFeef said:
Hey there buddy, I just shot your mate in front of you and uncloaked. Why turn around and walk away? React! Fight with me!

argh...
Yeah, it's really disappointing that enemies won't investigate 80% of the time. Such dumb AI. Is there anything that the modding community can do about this?

strata8

EatChildren said:
As I explained in my post on the previous page, I do think Crysis 2 does a whole lot to really seperate itself from the style of Far Cry and Crysis. Not necessarily for 'worse' gameplay, but definitely different gameplay. The biggest levels of Crysis 2 dont come close to the biggest, most open levels of Crysis. Vehicles, which were a huge part of Crysis, are nearly removed entirely from Crysis 2. There's a lot of Crysis here, but there's a whole lot of Crysis that isn't.

As I also said, I probably enjoyed Crysis 2 as a whole more than Crysis, but for me it feels more like a spin-off or a reboot, because it did change quite a bit. There's still a whole lot of 'Crysis' that isn't present here, and I think those who were expecting a true successor to Crysis, in that environments were much larger, open, and had a heavier focus on sandbox gameplay, are well within their right to be disappointed.
Saying that it's unrecognisable as a Crysis game, however, is just a bit over-the-top.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Just a reminder, settings below Extreme are missing lighting effects. If you think your opinion of the games visuals are valid at lower settings... they kinda aren't.

Corky

RedStep said:
It's pure hyperbole to say it's even close to unplayable.

I beg to differ, apparently I have different standards.

But I had a great time with the campaign. Judging from the review average, that seems to be the consensus.

Same with Dragon Age 2

No offence, but if the story of the games is what you choose to connect them together with then you've proved my point that there's nothing that could indicate ( obviously barring the obvious parts that I already mentioned ) this being a direct sequel to the video-game crysis 1.

So yeah, I beat the game last night...

It's a good game but not the Crysis sequel I was hoping for. I feel like it could've been so much more with the NYC setting, but was held back by the fact that the engine absolutely has to run on consoles this time. The streets are cluttered with debris from fallen buildings (and some aren't even that damaged to make all that debris) to guide you through a bunch of faux NYC hotspots that may look like but sure as hell don't feel like the real thing (real Grand Central laughs at Mini Central in the game). The scale is just flat-out wrong.

But anyway, in summation:
+ Good gunplay
+ Great graphics
+- Story was entertaining enough. Way too many plot holes, though.
- Options in encounters seem limited and skewed towards making you shoot. Either go guns blazing or hide until you get seen and go guns blazing anyway - some of the enemies' eagle vision make it very hard to rehide. In Crysis 1, if I got spotted I could rehide with some effort and continue my Predator-ing ways. In Crysis 2, if I get spotted and try to rehide, the enemies often beeline towards me anyway, even while cloaked. :| Damn aliens!
- Checkpoint system SUCKS. This ties in with the above point, because the lack of Quicksave often makes the Stealthy option a chore, seeing as how you can sometimes be spotted through a crack in the wall out of nowhere and have everything you've done ruined in a window of one second.
- NYC sucks in this game (see above).
- Significantly less options of what to do or where to go.
- Visor pointing out everything you can do is RETARDED. What the fuck is this? Baby's First Nanosuit?

So yeah... even though the negatives vastly outnumber the pros, I still had a decent time with the game... but I feel like it could've been so much more.

derFeef

Stallion Free said:
Just a reminder, settings below Extreme are missing lighting effects. If you think your opinion of the games visuals are valid at lower settings... they kinda aren't.
Indeed. I tried out medium for locked 60fps but there was something missing... turned back to extreme with 30fps limit. So much better overall in terms of looks. Can not wait for my new graphic card though.

StuBurns

Banned
In the traditional sense, Crysis is more of a sequel to FarCry than Crysis 2 is to Crysis. However it's gone in the direction I think a lot of people would have expected when they decided to bring the game to consoles. To say this isn't Crysis 2 implies there will be a gameplay sequel to Crysis, and I really doubt that.

eshwaaz

CozMick said:
I now feel that this thread is nothing more than a custom config orgy with the odd screenshot of said config :(

Is this what PC gaming is all about? watching your fps and posting the best looking screenies?
I totally understand that people want to get the most out of their rig, but I do think that tweaking and performance discussion should get its own thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lostconfused said:
What settings exactly?
I haven't tried Very High, but when I restarted the game on High after beating it on Extreme, there were quite a few areas where it was extremely obvious. The funny thing is it's not as noticeable in a lot of the day time outdoor areas because they usually have a single light source (the sun), but that's where a ton of the comparisons did it (and failed hardcore).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has Crytek made any official or unofficial comment on a potential DX11 patch?

Corky

StuBurns said:
In the traditional sense, Crysis is more of a sequel to FarCry than Crysis 2 is to Crysis. However it's gone in the [[technical]]direction I think a lot of people would have expected when they decided to bring the game to consoles

Interesting that you say that, because that's precisely what I've been trying to get across.

To say this isn't Crysis 2 implies there will be a gameplay sequel to Crysis, and I really doubt that.

I'm not saying this isn't crysis 2. This is afterall a game called crysis 2, however what I am saying is that this does not feel one bit like the sucessor of Crysis 1. That's all there is to it, it's not like I'm trying to incite a rebellion against those who feel otherwise.

Heavy said:

So it's: turn on strength mode -> space bar -> turn on cloak, every single time.
If you want to be in a situation where you have to be cloaked before making the jump that's true. Although, the time increase is minimal because you have two of the same motions separated by a different one. You can slip in the space bar in the same amount of time as if you didn't. Hold down your middle mouse button, flick it to the top right, press space, then middle mouse while flicking to the top left. Do it ten times.
PROFIT! OR SHUD I SAY PROPHET LULZ

For the record, I really like C2's strength jump and ledge grabbing while stealthed, but it isn't hard to get the same effect in C1. What bothers me is that power mode now feels useless in combat. To kill someone in one melee hit I have to use all of my suit energy after charging up. Same deal with killing someone with a thrown object. I played through on Post-Human first time and didn't come across a single scenario where throwing an object at the enemy was the best choice. In Crysis I could make a loud noise to attract some guys to a spot and then throw one of those long crates at them, taking them all out. So satisfying and for the cost of 10 energy.

StuBurns

Banned
Corky said:
I'm not saying this isn't crysis 2. This is afterall a game called crysis 2, however what I am saying is that this does not feel one bit like the sucessor of Crysis 1. That's all there is to it, it's not like I'm trying to incite a rebellion against those who feel otherwise.
Yeah, I didn't mean Crysis 2 literally either there, I just meant the gameplay sequel to Crysis.

Corky

Ickman3400 said:
They just said it's coming. No clue as to when.

I haven't read anything such in the past weeks that could be held as a credible source. Have you read anything recently?

Yeah, I didn't mean Crysis 2 literally either there, I just meant the gameplay sequel to Crysis.

Well atleast on that we agree.

Lostconfused said:
I agreed that it was clunky in two different posts. What do you want from me?
Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes with this game.

Hey at least we're talking about the game now and not autoexec config files.

EatChildren said:
Has Crytek made any official or unofficial comment on a potential DX11 patch?
They said it will support DX11 a few days ago, just not when.

Question: What cool graphical bells & whistles features could DX11 bring? I know there's tesselation (still don't really know what that is yet lol). What's some other stuff?

Corky

Heavy said:
This picture from unigine heaven gives a good visual indication of what tessellation can do :

ATI-%20Radeon-HD5830-DirectX11_DX11_Tessellation_Roof.jpg

EatChildren

Heavy said:
Very cool. Kind of looks like parallax mapping except in 3d?

Pretty much. In motion tessellation is fucking amazing, and if implimented in Crysis 2 would be fantastic. Imagine all those bricks on buildings popping out as if they were 3D.

So I'm about to downloading the tweaking tool and was wondering who has figured out the best way to make this look yet? (Stallion, Dennis?)

I'm not going through all of these pages to see!

Don't want to play it until it looks as sexy as possible.

Top Bottom