• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Lostconfused said:
Suit shortcuts. You are already cloacked before you hit the apex of the jump. Yes its less clunky but the point is you aren't getting any new functionality here, you can do the same thing in Crysis if you want to.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_8.html

supposedly yes.
I set up hotkeys for each suit power in Crysis and it vastly improved the experience. Honestly, it's a huge step forward compared with the suit shortcuts (and I can't even imagine trying to use the wheel).

I have the suit powers assigned to buttons on my mouse and I bounce back and forth between powers with no hesitation whatsoever. I'm nowhere near as skilled as the nanosuit ninja, but if you watch me play you get the same sort of feel. I could never play that way without the hotkeys.

And here is how it is done:

From: http://majorslack.com/pc-game-cheats/hacking-a-better-crysis/

"How to Hotkey Suit Modes

Various suit modes (Cloak, Speed, Strength, Armor) can be assigned to specific keys to allow single key press activation of suit modes (instead of multiple key presses using the 'Suit Shortcuts' option). This is accomplished by modifying the actionmaps.xml file located in your Crysis profile directory.

Here's how to do this:

1. Click on Start >> Run and type in (or copy-and-paste) the following (WITH the double quotes):

"%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Games\Crysis\Profiles"

...and click on OK.

OR use Windows Explorer to navigate to:

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER_NAME]\My Documents\My Games\Crysis\Profiles

...where [USER_NAME] is your Windows logon username.
2. In the Crysis\Profiles folder, open the subfolder pertaining to the Crysis profile you wish to modify.
3. Right click on actionmaps.xml and click on Open With... >> Notepad (or 'Choose Program' and then select Notepad)
4. Press Ctrl + F on your keyboard and do a search for actionmap name="player". This will bring you to this line of code:

<actionmap name="player" version="20">
5. Make a blank line directly under that and then insert the following code:

<action name="suitcloak" onPress="1">
<key name="q"/>
</action>

This will assign the 'q' key to Cloak mode ("Cloak engaged").
6. Save the actionmaps.xml file.

Now whenever you play Crysis, a single press of the 'q' key will put your character in Cloak mode.

Using the same method, you can assign all the suit modes to specific hotkeys.

All the suit mode special codes that can be used are:
Code What It Does
suitcloak Cloak Engaged
speedmode Maximum Speed
strengthmode Maximum Strength
defensemode Maximum Armor

This is obviously a much more desirable method of keying suit modes than enabling the Suit Shortcuts option which, in fact, has a design flaw. For example, with Suit Shortcuts enabled, double pressing the 'melee' button will enable Maximum Strength but will also trigger a melee attack which is kind of dumb. You want to be able to do either one or the other rather than both at the same time."

scitek

Just beat the campaign. I thought the ending was "Halo 2-ish" according to one review I read. WTF, this was way more satisfying to me than that. I rather liked the story, to be honest, and I thought the campaign was a fucking blast throughout, but it really picked up steam right around Times Square. The Ceph are great, and the game did retain its "freedom of choice" approach until the end unlike the linear second half of the first game. Really enjoyed it, and I love the multiplayer too, so overall I think this is the probably best purchase I've made in a long time.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Here are some comparison shots I took of tessellation in the Unigine Heaven DX11 benchmark. It would be utterly glorious if they got it in Crysis 2. Imagine it on the bricks walls, the rubble, the structures, the Ceth *drools*.

Before and after.
Before and after.
Before and after.

I shouldn't get me hopes up. I do hope more games impliment tessellation though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
5.1 positional audio is exceptional on the PC version. I can crouch down behind cover and hear them walk behind me and accurately know they are. You could almost play this blind it's that good.

Also, 3D is pretty good. I was playing this last night on my 120inch screen and 3D projector an it looks as good as any other good 3D game. The depth isn't as deep as some but it's very impressive given the low overhead.
Folks that say it's just 3 layers of cardboard cutouts are talking out of their hat.

Finally, really enjoying this. More then Halo which is a shock. Game of the year for me. I can't wait to see what the modding community will do with this game.

EatChildren said:
Here are some comparison shots I took of tessellation in the Unigine Heaven DX11 benchmark. It would be utterly glorious if they got it in Crysis 2. Imagine it on the bricks walls, the rubble, the structures, the Ceth *drools*.

Before and after.
Before and after.
Before and after.

I shouldn't get me hopes up. I do hope more games impliment tessellation though.
That's a huge difference, looks awesome. Some of it is overdone though... like the ground in the first screenshot. Roads don't look that blocky. You'd have a difficult time walking on it and would sprain your ankle if you tried to run on it.

Edit- Also with the third comparison, the two buildings to the left and right kind of look better pre-tess. That type of architecture in medieval times wasn't so hastily put together so that the bricks are sticking out everywhere like Jenga blocks, know what I mean? They are neater than that. Maybe they're overdoing it so you can better see the difference.

cyberheater said:
5.1 positional audio is exceptional on the PC version. I can crouch down behind cover and hear them walk behind me and accurately know they are. You could almost play this blind it's that good.
Yeah, the audio in this game is excellent.

CozMick

Banned
The corner cutting Crytek did to get this to run on consoles is a down right disgrace.

Sub-hd, sub-25fps, lod swaps through the ass, texture flickering/clipping, shadows following you around the map, appear/reappear, geometry pops in when turning (miniclip(?) setting on source engine games)

In screenshots it looks fine, but in those screenshots you don't notice the entire level/map popping up in front of your face :(

Multiplayer is still some of the best fun i've had in years (although a little laggy)

Add me on PSN, if you wanna squad up in TDM. :)

CozMick

scitek

CozMick said:
The corner cutting Crytek did to get this to run on consoles is a down right disgrace.

Sub-hd, sub-25fps, lod swaps through the ass, texture flickering/clipping, shadows following you around the map, appear/reappear, geometry pops in when turning (miniclip(?) setting on source engine games)

In screenshots it looks fine, but in those screenshots you don't notice the entire level/map popping up in front of your face :(

Multiplayer is still some of the best fun i've had in years (although a little laggy)

CozMick

All I can say is I'm glad I don't have to play that version.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
CozMick said:

CozMick
But you're playingi t on PS3? What.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Heavy said:
That's a huge difference, looks awesome. Some of it is overdone though... like the ground in the first screenshot. Roads don't look that blocky. You'd have a difficult time walking on it and would sprain your ankle if you tried to run on it.

Edit- Also with the third comparison, the two buildings to the left and right kind of look better pre-tess. That type of architecture in medieval times wasn't so hastily put together so that the bricks are sticking out everywhere like Jenga blocks, know what I mean? They are neater than that. Maybe they're overdoing it so you can better see the difference.

It's just a benchmark, so yeah they're deliberately overdoing it to push your card. It's moreso an example of what can be accomplished.The third comparison might be over done, but it shows that tessellation can turn a flat texture into real 3D. Same goes for the rocky road.

Bricks on a wall might not stick out that far, but tessellation is the difference between them sticking out at all. There's a lot that can be done with it. The tile roofs, door archways, stairs, and dragon are probably the better examples of where it can be used to really improve the IQ.

So I finally got it downloaded.

Nothing I've ever played on this system has come even remotely close to making such efficient use of my GTX 260. No where near. It looks better than Crysis and yet runs at twice the framerate.

The texture resolution is the only legitimate complaint anyone can have against the visuals here, everything else is best in class and yet it runs as if it was just a generic UE3 game.

CozMick said:

CozMick

maybe your ps3 is dying brah cuz my ps3 copy runs nowhere near to what you are describing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
CozMick said:

Ugh, can we *please* just discuss the game? I'm so tired of all this techno-babble bullshit.

Dilly said:
I don't get the story

Why are the aliens and their machines suddenly red instead of blue like in the first one?

Could it just have been a gameplay design decision?

The blue might stand out in the Crysys 1 environments but in the city in Crysis 2, it might make spotting the enemies frustrating?

Yoboman

brain_stew said:
So I finally got it downloaded.

Nothing I've ever played on this system has come even remotely close to making such efficient use of my GTX 260. No where near. It looks better than Crysis and yet runs at twice the framerate.

The texture resolution is the only legitimate complaint anyone can have against the visuals here, everything else is best in class and yet it runs as if it was just a generic UE3 game.
What sort of framerates are you getting?

It's not running any better than Crysis did for me with the GTX260

EatChildren said:
It's just a benchmark, so yeah they're deliberately overdoing it to push your card. It's moreso an example of what can be accomplished.The third comparison might be over done, but it shows that tessellation can turn a flat texture into real 3D. Same goes for the rocky road.

Bricks on a wall might not stick out that far, but tessellation is the difference between them sticking out at all. There's a lot that can be done with it. The tile roofs, door archways, stairs, and dragon are probably the better examples of where it can be used to really improve the IQ.
Yeah the dragon before & after was awesome

Insertia

Playing on the PS3 and I'm having a blast.

This game is like a breath of fresh FPS air. I've been playing so much Call of Duty throughout the years that I've forgotten what a real FPS is like.

I couldn't get into Crysis 1 due to it not being refined (it seemed to be a tech demo first and game second). I don't think Crysis 2 is as pretty, but it sure is more fun.

MRORANGE

Just finished the game

kA7Hw.jpg

GRAPHICS

Played it on a Q6600 at 3.0ghz, 2gb ram, ATI 4850 512mb on win7 at 1680x1050 (some screenshots below, click to see bigger)

Overall the game ran well on High settings, there was the odd slow down with the huge fire fights but everything ran pretty well for such an old computer, so kudos for Crytek for that :) I’m not much of a graphics whore but the game did look nice but it only looked slight better than Crysis 1 and the only thing you noticed really is the lighting and dynamic destruction of the environments, everything else looked the same. For some reason most of the textures did look really bad if you zoomed in really close.

GAMEPLAY

Pro’s

- Runs pretty well on any system that could run crysis 1 on high
- Enemy AI is impressive in some area’s
- Has a very good cinematic feel to the gameplay as well as a great music score
- Majority of the suit functions in crysis 1 are still here and work in the same layout

Con’s

- Visual improvements are minimal for a game of this standard
- Crytek has seem to have missed a step or two on not targeting this for the PC crowd and not having many options or basic PC support controls such as lean.
- Open level design is more constrained to mini open area’s
- Breaks almost all ties with the first game
- Story makes no sense, it’s either go there and do that without much explanation on the outcomes
- Not a game which breaks new walls in terms of gameplay

This game is good but not great, Crytek didn’t raise the bar with this game and it feels if they were playing really safe with this game. I could understand why console reviews were so high for this game, but on the pc this game feels like a watered down Crysis 1 mainly due to the level design compared to first game. Granted having an open level design in city is a lot harder than a tropical island, but it just seems lacking in general . It’s also the fact that the game feels like any other military shooter now, the story doesn’t help either. If I have to really sum up Crysis 2 to Crysis 1 it would be how I felt about playing F.E.A.R. then playing F.E.A.R. 2. Overall good game, not groundbreaking..... oh yeah the game has no sharks D:

Hah I like how they just stop you from moving forward so you know actually getting their quickly enough wouldn't get in the way of their scripted event.

derFeef

the AI glitches are pissing me off.

3 dudes standing very close to each other and the guy in the middle tries to walk away, but is blocked by the other two persons. One guy even cant get out of the door because he is walking against the doorframe constantly. And oh... shooting through wall AI is classy.

BeeDog

derFeef said:

3 dudes standing very close to each other and the guy in the middle tries to walk away, but is blocked by the other two persons. One guy even cant get out of the door because he is walking against the doorframe constantly. And oh... shooting through wall AI is classy.

Yeah, I'm surprised the AI is so prone to do retarded stuff. The game's very unpolished in this area. Activating tracers also highlights how enemies track you even though you take cover behind geometry, which is odd, to say the least. The AI is generally pretty lousy in this game, unfortunately.

Binabik15

derFeef said:

Better than the gunboats from Crysis 1 shooting you from a kilometre or two away while you lie in cover in the underbrush or not?

I´m itching to shot someone, but I´m through Crysis recently and I can´t find my damn Warhead manual with the cd-key, so I´m thinking about spending 30€ on Crysis 2.

I´m a bit annoyed about the whole marathon of fuck-up pre-launch, so the game would have to be GOOD for me to forget about all that.

megamerican

I picked this up on the 360 after reading some reviews and hearing a lot of positive impressions on podcasts. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, but I find it to be fairly poor in terms of looks. I play on a projector and the textures are some of the worst I've seen this entire gen. There is also a strange haze or blurriness as if someone smeared the screen with vaseline. The framerate is never rock solid, and the drops are very jarring and usually come at the most inopportune times.

I'm really surprised people are saying this is "the best looking console game." Not only is that a really stupid thing to say, it's also very wrong.

megamerican said:
I picked this up on the 360 after reading some reviews and hearing a lot of positive impressions on podcasts. I'm really enjoying the gameplay, but I find it to be fairly poor in terms of looks. I play on a projector and the textures are some of the worst I've seen this entire gen. There is also a strange haze or blurriness as if someone smeared the screen with vaseline. The framerate is never rock solid, and the drops are very jarring and usually come at the most inopportune times.

I'm really surprised people are saying this is "the best looking console game." Not only is that a really stupid thing to say, it's also very wrong.

Some of the worse textures this gen? C'mon... Seriously? What are some good textures to you? Hour of Victory or something?

Not only is that a really stupid thing to say, it's also very wrong.

*rolls eyes*

mxgt

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game now after I removed all the horrendously annoying blur.

Taking me forever because I just like walking around looking at everything, such a beautiful game.

Ok, multiplayer doesn't work, nano-catalyst disappears, AI bugs out constantly.

It's a testament to the game's strengths that I'm having fun regardless, but man this shit is fucked up on the pc.

//B1G

Banned
Should I change edgeAA to 1, or just remove it altogether? Right now it's at 2 and I don't really like it. Softens things fairly noticeably. And the lightning rod shooting gun in the third is friggin tight.

DoomGyver

jakonovski said:
Ok, multiplayer doesn't work, nano-catalyst disappears, AI bugs out constantly.

It's a testament to the game's strengths that I'm having fun regardless, but man this shit is fucked up on the pc.
I had to deal with those glitches, couldn't pickup the rocket launcher when I had to destroy a gunship so I had to shoot it down with a sniper and a pistol. I also got stuck in geometry twice causing me to restart. Still had fun though. Oh and on my second playthrough I got the glitch EviLore got where they AI constantly yelled GO, MOVE FORWARD, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO, GO! (360 version)

I'd put the fact that people will actually play and enjoy this game as a "Pro". Half of the people who were aware of the first game but didn't play it were intimidated by the specs/didn't have a gaming PC. And the gamers who are used to Call of Duty shooters who played the original game didn't like the openness of the first game either.

As far as the optimization goes, I think limiting themselves to lesser technology than the first game will only help the engine going forward. They've learned a lot in terms of how to be more efficient with streaming and working with low amounts of RAM. When CryEngine jumps to the next generation, they'll be able to create something mind blowing across the board.

Xanathus

It seems that there's zero anti-cheat protection on multiplayer and aimbots are running all over, and supposedly the serial key protection is only client side so pirates are playing multiplayer now. At least I don't encounter cheaters on objective-based multiplayer mode servers.

Xanathus said:
It seems that there's zero anti-cheat protection on multiplayer and aimbots are running all over, and supposedly the serial key protection is only client side so pirates are playing multiplayer now. At least I don't encounter cheaters on objective-based multiplayer mode servers.
:( Are you serious? Ughhhhhh that sucks

Spookie

Xanathus said:
It seems that there's zero anti-cheat protection on multiplayer and aimbots are running all over, and supposedly the serial key protection is only client side so pirates are playing multiplayer now.

dontcare037r68.gif

I guess this won't be occupying my time till Brink then. :(

I just got that glitch when you restart the campaign from a checkpoint that you lose all of your nano catalyst and your ability to collect anymore. Does that reset on the next level because reloading that one save doesn't seem to change anything.

Blizzard

Banned
Is there any readily available anti-cheat solution that people actually like? Punkbuster seems widely loathed (old RTCW games, BC2), and I don't like VAC because it has the potential for (very rare) false positive VAC bans, and unless Valve catches it you can't get that fixed at all. Plus I get the impression VAC doesn't catch some cheats anyway.

I guess my preferred answer is dedicated servers and admins, but that takes dedicated admins with time to monitor stuff (or maybe a votekick option, but then that could be abused).

Xanathus said:
Goodness gracious, the PC version of this game is a goddamn disaster.

Klocker

megamerican said:
.....but I find it to be fairly poor in terms of looks. I play on a projector and the textures are some of the worst I've seen this entire gen. There is also a strange haze or blurriness as if someone smeared the screen with vaseline. The framerate is never rock solid, and the drops are very jarring and usually come at the most inopportune times.

reality begs to differ

Binabik15

Xanathus said:

That reminds me, is there any news on C2 piracy?

I mean, the leak had the whole security accesible, right? That can´t be good.

Blizzard

Banned
Binabik15 said:
That reminds me, is there any news on C2 piracy?

I mean, the leak had the whole security accesible, right? That can´t be good.
How would there be any solid numbers? Maybe I'm horribly cynical, but I can't see much besides the following sort of things happening:

Say Crytek/EA announces that some number of games were pirated, and that they were hurt by it. People might then respond:

1. It's Crytek/EA, therefore they are biased and inflating the numbers to make themselves look taken-advantage of, when really they should have just made a better game that would sell better.
2. It's Crytek's excuse for trying to move to become console-exclusive.
3. Crytek deserved it for such a horrible PC version.
4. Someone pirating the game != lost sale. None of those people would have bought the game anyway (and/or counter remark that at least SOME of those people MIGHT have bought the game, big discussion ensues).
5. Crytek's numbers are flawed, since they were based on activations and the same people might have activated multiple times, or there could have been a glitch with all the multiplayer key problems etc.
6. Crytek's numbers are flawed, since they were based on torrent sites, and this is not valid because (various discussion ensues).
7. Many of those pirated downloads could have been legitimate players who just wanted to play early / who were circumventing DRM / etc.

I probably missed some things, but I feel like I have seen most of this sort of discussion already, so I really am not sure if there is any good way for a developer or publisher to judge how much piracy actually exists, especially not in a way that people would generally seem to accept.

Xanathus

The worst part about this multiplayer cheating issue is that Crytek publicly announced that they had anti-cheat protection for the release version, after aimbots were made for the multiplayer demo. Anyone else feel that all developers under EA are straight out liars?

It was always going to get pirated a ton.

What really sucks is that pirates can, according to Xanathus, get online and play on the official servers. They have the entire game for free. Usually you can stop most of them from getting online due to the authentication but it's client-side for this game. Stupid...

Blizzard

Banned
Xanathus said:
The worst part about this multiplayer cheating issue is that Crytek publicly announced that they had anti-cheat protection for the release version, after aimbots were made for the multiplayer demo. Anyone else feel that all developers under EA are straight out liars?
I'm really not impressed with Crytek given the developments with Crysis 2, plus stuff way back in Crysis 1 never even being patched (at least not for Steam). We'll see what sort of patches come out for Crysis 2.

To actually answer your question, I have a good bit of respect for DICE in terms of Mirror's Edge and maybe Battlefield 3 (at least one of the ME team is now helping on BF3), but that's about it as far as EA devs I like are concerned.

Top Bottom