• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

GABDEG

Playing on 360 and it's a great game. Framerate dips whenever there's smoke involved, but it's nothing that would make it unplayable.
Veteran seems to be a pretty good difficulty setting, really forces you to use the nano-suit features and proceed with caution.

TheExodu5

Banned
As always, devs should be using Steamworks and VAC for their online services. No, they don't stop all hackers, but VAC is a proven anti-cheat system that is very unintrusive.

kaskade

cyberheater said:
5.1 positional audio is exceptional on the PC version. I can crouch down behind cover and hear them walk behind me and accurately know they are. You could almost play this blind it's that good.

Also, 3D is pretty good. I was playing this last night on my 120inch screen and 3D projector an it looks as good as any other good 3D game. The depth isn't as deep as some but it's very impressive given the low overhead.
Folks that say it's just 3 layers of cardboard cutouts are talking out of their hat.

Finally, really enjoying this. More then Halo which is a shock. Game of the year for me. I can't wait to see what the modding community will do with this game.
I enjoyed the 3d as well(playing on a plasma). I think it looks perfectly fine considering how little of a performance hit the game takes. To be fair I just got my 3d glasses so it's one of the first 3d games I'd played. I'll have to try some "real" 3d stuff out.

~Kinggi~

Banned
GABDEG said:
Playing on 360 and it's a great game. Framerate dips whenever there's smoke involved, but it's nothing that would make it unplayable.
Veteran seems to be a pretty good difficulty setting, really forces you to use the nano-suit features and proceed with caution.
Yeah, im really happy with their difficulty system. Playing on Veteran the first time and im actually excited to go back into the same levels on Super Soldier. Their AI might not be amazing but it is still a cut above most other games.

TheExodu5 said:
As always, devs should be using Steamworks and VAC for their online services. No, they don't stop all hackers, but VAC is a proven anti-cheat system that is very unintrusive.

That would require EA to stop being assholes on all steam related issues first.

Nekrono

cyberheater said:
5.1 positional audio is exceptional on the PC version. I can crouch down behind cover and hear them walk behind me and accurately know they are. You could almost play this blind it's that good.

This!, this is the one thing that has really WOW'ED me so far, Crytek really has outdone themselves with the audio, everything sounds crisp, loud, and the actual surround sound across all speakers is top notch.

Everything from activating armor mode which is outstanding imo, it gives you the feeling that your whole body is covered from front to back to the gunfights, my god they are crisp and yes you could play this game blind and still know where everything is coming from, amazing!

Ros8105

I don't seem to be picking up nano catalysts anymore. Well, I'm picking them up but the counter stays at zero. Anyone know what's up with this?

Binabik15

Lostconfused said:
What news? It got pirated just like every other game ever.

Well, Crytek was quick to blame Crysis 1´s "bad" sales on evil pc piracy and C2 was leaked way before launch.

I´m just wondering whether they already stated something regarding pircay, like "5 downloads on torrent sites per purchased copy, pc gaming is dooomed!!1!".

skyfinch

~Kinggi~ said:
Yeah, im really happy with their difficulty system. Playing on Veteran the first time and im actually excited to go back into the same levels on Super Soldier. Their AI might not be amazing but it is still a cut above most other games.

I got my ass handed to me on the easiest mode. Yeah, I suck at fps. :p

Love this game, though. By far my favorite fps.

I just realized my main gripe with Crysis 2's story. In the first, the Nanosuit was rare, sure, but it wasn't the second coming of Jesus. It was expensive technology, but the Marines we saw in the game knew about it, and didn't particularly fear it: one of the Marines in the game jokes about "getting his own supersuit, and going Ninja on your ass".

Meanwhile, in Crysis 2, the Nanosuit's suddenly become a one-of-a-kind item that can end the war practically on its own.
It can store entire personalities, for god's sake.
Most Marines are either scared to death by you, or mocking you behind your back (or in your face), one of them commenting "Is there really a man in there?"

The reason the story falls flat on its face, in my opinion, is that Morgan tried making the story something it's not. Crysis was simple near-futuristic military science fiction, while Crysis 2 overdosed on nano-juice and symbiosis bullshit.

That said, the dialog is fantastic. Hargreave philosophizing about the origins of the Ceph, Barclay shouting orders like it's nobody's business, the exchange between the Marine and Cell soldier during the "Terminus"-mission. Very good.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ros8105 said:
I don't seem to be picking up nano catalysts anymore. Well, I'm picking them up but the counter stays at zero. Anyone know what's up with this?

The nano catalysts are buggy as shit. I randomly lose a crapton every time I quit and then come back and load my game. Last night I lost over 7000 to that shit.

Speaking of which, anyone know a console command to add more, I'd like to actually unlock some of these abilities for a change.

Blue Ninja said:
The reason the story falls flat on its face, in my opinion, is that Morgan tried making the story something it's not. Crysis was simple near-futuristic military science fiction, while Crysis 2 overdosed on nano-juice and symbiosis bullshit.
If you read the book its even more futuristic than that. Global catastrophe, clones, biological machines, synthetic military viruses and stuff like that.

skyfinch

Ros8105 said:

It's all glitchy. I had fully upgraded my suit by the time I finished the game, but when I tried to replay a previous level, some of my upgrades were missing and my counter was also zero.

Tried again later that day and everything was back to normal. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's got to be something off about that advanced graphic tweaking program. I just installed the 1.5 version and now I'm getting strange over blurring on distant objects, like high rise buildings in the distance.

Lostconfused said:
something doesn't look quiet right.
A660FB0423013D495BB87B83362F02FAD2009D02
r_drawnearfov *

where * is any value you want, default is 60, i go 72.

Surely there's something Crytek can do to detect and ban/regulate cheaters with a patch or something? If they hope to even remotely compete with CoD and the like, widespread cheating definitely isn't the way to do it.

StuBurns

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
I just realized my main gripe with Crysis 2's story. In the first, the Nanosuit was rare, sure, but it wasn't the second coming of Jesus. It was expensive technology, but the Marines we saw in the game knew about it, and didn't particularly fear it: one of the Marines in the game jokes about "getting his own supersuit, and going Ninja on your ass".

Meanwhile, in Crysis 2, the Nanosuit's suddenly become a one-of-a-kind item that can end the war practically on its own.
It can store entire personalities, for god's sake.
Most Marines are either scared to death by you, or mocking you behind your back (or in your face), one of them commenting "Is there really a man in there?"
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's not that those suits themselves are rare, it's that something unique has happened to that one that makes it a one-of-a-kind item.

jett

D-Member
I don't know if the aliens in C2 are stupid or if this is part of the game design, but it's really easy to get behind them and stealth kill them. More fun than fighting them in the first game, though. :p

abracadaver

whats up with the endless respawning enemies ? is that to hide the bad AI ?

its really annoying, the easiest way is to get invisible and just walk past them but thats pretty boring and not the way I want to play

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah, the encounter design is truly atrocious in this game compared to the original. Enemies just keep pouring in. It's not endless, but it's annoying and makes proper tactical planning pointless. This is pretty similar to the Dragon Age 2 scenario.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Finished the game, it was pretty fun overall. Steam says i've played it for 15 hrs. Take a couple off for just messing around, loading, cut scenes (I skipped most of those crappy videos though, lol), or quitting and replaying some sections due to the checkpoints.... I guess it was OK length. I played at the difficulty be4 the hardest and it wasn't really too hard though I died a few times here and there.

It's kind of lame it doesnt have any extras to play. It would have been nice to have a few open levels (even if they were lifted off the campaign) with lots of enemies and all weapons laying about and stuff, just to mess with the AI, the hardest enemies, bosses, etc.

I'm gonna wait for Monday or so to try the multiplayer, in case they do an early patch, the current account/login bugs annoy me too much to bother, the demo worked better for me although I didn't like those two maps.

Overall it's a somewhat empty package if you're not into multiplayer. If they never release an SDK or at least a map editor for people to do custom stuff with, I'd say it's not worth full price if you aren't super into online modes (or already have your fill from other games like COD).

StuBurns said:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but it's not that those suits themselves are rare, it's that something unique has happened to that one that makes it a one-of-a-kind item.
Thing is, Prophet was wearing an N1 during the events of Crysis, when he was exposed to the aliens. He gives you his N2 during the events of Crysis 2.

I am interested in the book, though, didn't even know there was one.

EDIT: Richard Morgan didn't even write it? That seems kind of stupid, imo. If you have a prestigious sci-fi writer write the story, you'd have him write the novelization too, right?

Wazzim

Banned
abracadaver said:
whats up with the endless respawning enemies ? is that to hide the bad AI ?

its really annoying, the easiest way is to get invisible and just walk past them but thats pretty boring and not the way I want to play
I totally agree, all I do now is sneak past enemies because you can't have a decent firefight.

TheExodu5

Banned
StuBurns said:

Something special happened to Nomad's suit in the first game...though I couldn't begin to explain what that was.

Heavy said:
What book is this? Sounds pretty neat lol
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345526783/?tag=neogaf0e-20
MickeyKnox said:
r_drawnearfov *

where * is any value you want, default is 60, i go 72.
Actually that was a bug. For some reason it got screwed up in the middle of the game.
TheExodu5 said:
Something special happened to Nomad's suit in the first game...though I couldn't begin to explain what that was.
Huh? What? I don't remember anything like that.

Pimpbaa

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, the encounter design is truly atrocious in this game compared to the original. Enemies just keep pouring in. It's not endless, but it's annoying and makes proper tactical planning pointless. This is pretty similar to the Dragon Age 2 scenario.
Are you referring to the aliens (don't recall any endless spawns of humans)? If so, Crysis 1 was far far worse in this regard (in regards to encounter design).

bee

3D vision users should try using these settings, i got them from the nvidia boards, they greatly increase the depth but there are some artifacts :( i found putting depth to minimum in the drivers helped (well i think it did, could of just been me)

r_StereoDevice=3
r_StereoMode=1
r_StereoStrength=1
r_StereoScreenDist=3.9
r_StereoHudScreenDist=0.5
r_StereoEyeDist=0.015
r_StereoFlipEyes=0
r_StereoOutput=1
r_StereoNearGeoScale=0.69

didn't know that it uses cryteks 3D solution exclusively and any nvidia profile makes zero difference to the 3D, at least the settings are tweakable anyway, the increase in depth is much needed though

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crysis had a shitty story and so does this. Nothing new here.

Anyway, that graphics tweaking program is definitely borked. No two ways around it. Check this out.

crysis22011-03-2705-41jozy.jpg

I've got some fucking ugly motion blur/dop on those buildings in the background that shouldn't be there, and wasn't there until I installed v1.5 of the program. I tried turning off radial blur as well as object blur and nothing fixes it. The whole distant sky vibrates with blur when I move.

On top of this, I noticed that when Camera + Object blur is on I get no bluring of any kind for my first person weapon. I only get it when Camera only blur is on.

So just a word of warning to people; the advanced graphics tweaking program isn't perfect (not that you should expect it to be) and clearly doesn't guarenty perfect visuals.

Having finished it, I must say, I love it!.

It's a shame that there are a few bugs though.

Melee frequently doesn't work.
Nano catalyst points stay at 0 at the end of the game while enemies still give out points.
Can't log into MP using existing username and password. They fixed this problem in the demo but failed to do so in the final game. Crysis 1 also gave me problems logging in.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pimpbaa said:
Are you referring to the aliens (don't recall any endless spawns of humans)? If so, Crysis 1 was far far worse in this regard (in regards to encounter design).

In the sense that they were much worse/annoying to fight, I agree. Being in zero-g in that ship being swarmed in all 360 degrees by enemies that had a one hit kill attack , was extreeeemely annoying.

I'm finding the aliens here somewhat fun to fight, even though they're braindead from a distance.

Pimpbaa

TheExodu5 said:
The humans. There are usually several waves of humans that pour in from unknown locations in this game.
I haven't noticed that. How hard is it to just cloak and retreat a bit and do your tactical assessment?

Pimpbaa said:
I haven't noticed that. How hard is it to just cloak and retreat a bit and do your tactical assessment?
Pretty easy, just break the line of sight, cloak and re-locate but what sucks is that quite a few encounters are designed so that you have to cross an arbitrary trigger point to stem the endless flow of "reinforcements". As such the only tactical assessment to make is what's the quickest way to said threshold.

Kyaw

EatChildren said:
Crysis had a shitty story and so does this. Nothing new here.

Anyway, that graphics tweaking program is definitely borked. No two ways around it. Check this out.

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis22011-03-2705-41jozy.jpg

I've got some fucking ugly motion blur/dop on those buildings in the background that shouldn't be there, and wasn't there until I installed v1.5 of the program. I tried turning off radial blur as well as object blur and nothing fixes it. The whole distant sky vibrates with blur when I move.

On top of this, I noticed that when Camera + Object blur is on I get no bluring of any kind for my first person weapon. I only get it when Camera only blur is on.

So just a word of warning to people; the advanced graphics tweaking program isn't perfect (not that you should expect it to be) and clearly doesn't guarenty perfect visuals.

Just use the config from the first page of this OT and force AA through your graphic card control panel.

CozMick

Banned
KingOfKong said:
maybe your ps3 is dying brah cuz my ps3 copy runs nowhere near to what you are describing.

Shit dude, you had me worried there for a second.

So you know what I did? gathered up a couple of friends and went into a private server and checked that shit out, result is, on a 250gb slim and 2 80gb phats the exact same shit happens on screen.

Maybe I'm just more prone to seeing shit like that or I'm concentrating too hard on the wrong thing :p

EatChildren

Kyaw said:
Just use the config from the first page of this OT and force AA through your graphic card control panel.

That config list must be wrong, because it lists the value '4' for numerous entries, when as far as I'm aware the only values are 1, 2, and 3. There is no '4' graphical setting.

Kyaw said:
The config in the OP is still a WIP, I'm fucking around with the HDR values.

But yeah, using it you can brute force Adaptive CFAA edge-detect through your control panel.
EatChildren said:
That config list must be wrong, because it lists the value '4' for numerous entries, when as far as I'm aware the only values are 1, 2, and 3. There is no '4' graphical setting.
4 is for custom values.

Sethos

Banned
So, I decided to give multiplayer a go in the final and what a mess. My very first level was running like 25-30FPS solid despite the rest of the game is 60+ FPS. However one thing was a constant whether the map was 30 or 60 FPS, the mouse movement feels off and sluggish - Much more than SP. I genuinely felt like I was playing with the controller and a move of the mouse just dragged on, had to correct which turned into over-correction etc. ( I am using the autoexec mouse settings ) Hit detection is seriously off, you get kills when you barely hit them and sometimes when you are 100% sure you are hitting with every round, there's nothing. Kill cam is pointless as it represents nothing, worst kill cam I've ever seen as it's SO off! All around it just seems like a loose, bit all-over-the-place experience. I'll stick to SP and remember the game by that I think ...

Pimpbaa

MickeyKnox said:
Pretty easy, just break the line of sight, cloak and re-locate but what sucks is that quite a few encounters are designed so that you have to cross an arbitrary trigger point to stem the endless flow of "reinforcements". As such the only tactical assessment to make is what's the quickest way to said threshold.

They aren't endless tho, the reinforcements do end eventually. I try to kill them all since I do enjoy the combat, especially if they are aliens so I can get lots of catalyst points.

I slaughtered enough space squids to get all the nanosuit upgrades in my first playthrough-- will these carry over if I start a new campaign from the main menu? Nano-recharge seems to be the most useful; the suit fully recharges in ~2 seconds. It really helps out in heated firefights.

Going through the campaign again on Veteran and it definitely feels like the sweet spot in terms of challenge, requiring full use of all the suits abilities and not letting you feel too overpowered. Soldier becomes a cakewalk with a fully upgraded suit, although it is fun being able to withstand Devastator fire at point-blank range in Armor mode.

For some reason I cannot equip a silencer on any pistol. I found the silenced Nova early in the campaign, but if I resume the game later, the option to mount a silencer becomes locked. None of my other attachments are effected-- is this yet another of the game's bugs? Also, does anyone know where to find the guass SCAR?

AEREC

ugh...for some reason the alien bio matter stopped registering when I pick it up...it still says I collected 100 non crystals (or whatever) but my count in the upgrade screen always says zero.

Top Bottom