• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

TheExodu5 said:
The checkpoint system is terrible. I'm at a part now where I've gone through 15 or so aliens, another 5 elite aliens, and one of the big guys with a shield, and I missed a few shots and died for it. I now need to restart the entire section. Yeah...
lol yeah I did that section a lot of times too :( quicksave would really help.

StuBurns

Banned
pakkit said:
It definitely does. I like the more concise design of Crysis's arenas though.
Me too, as a single player game actually, I favor this over Reach. But two player co-op on legendary is still notably superior for me. I wish this game had co-op, maybe for Crysis 3.

StuBurns said:
Me too, as a single player game actually, I favor this over Reach. But two player co-op on legendary is still notably superior for me. I wish this game had co-op, maybe for Crysis 3.

As much as I love Reach, playing Crysis 2 in sp is more fun.

Although a score attack on firefight can always be a blast.

But Crysis 2's campaign is built with singleplayer in mind, so it's definitely better.

I couldn't agree more on the co-op part.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I was really liking the campaign...until you meet up with the marines. After that it has been nothing but your typical military shooter.

zlatko

Banned
I think this is my favorite single player campaign in a FPS in a long time. I've yet to complete it, but it's just a blast to play.

The multiplayer has its ups and downs. Some of the maps are fun and all of them look great. Spawns work right EXCEPT on free for all where it is THE worst spawning ever in a game. Spawn move 3 feet forward, 2 guys spawn in the same spot right behind you. I don't plan to try free for all ever again lol.

My main issues with the game multiplayer wise are:
1) Laggy as shit connections. Some of the worst hosting I've seen ever. Welcome to the year 2001.

2) Gun balance is not existent. M60 is a beast, and one of the shotties can kill you from 30+ feet away. If I could have recorded when that happened to me I would have loved to share it with you. On the map terminal there is 4 corners, I got shot with a shotty from corner to corner and died. I was on the lower bit of my health, but I had my armor up. It was just so stupid to see the bullet hit me soooooooo far away and drop me.

3) The kill cam is the most frustrating thing ever. 9/10 times it shows complete horse shit like the person spraying a wall next to you and you died from that. Or the camera will show the person spraying an area you take cover on and the bullets go through metal/brick to head rock you. I actually wish it was taken out so I can stop seeing how impossible some of these kills look from the other players perspective.

Good game, and I'll give it more time to see if I want to buy it or not. If I do I may wait till its a bit cheaper and some of the kinks of lag are worked out on the 360.

I finally took on the mission to finish the campaign, the last 4 levels. It had been pretty epic until there... But holy mother of god.
When you think "this is it, I'm now going to ground level to finish it on Central Park", the freaking alien... structure just elevates almost half the park some 200 meters out of nowhere, and you have to battle there. HOW MORE EPIC CAN IT GET.

I just feel sorry for other companies trying to replicate New York. This game isn't only impressive technically, the sense of scale is beyond anything. If I ever boot up GTA IV again, I'll probably cry. It would just feel miniature by comparison.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How are you playing it then? Just curious, if a friend lent it to (be4 finishing it himself would be weird) you then why consider buying it?

Unless you don't already have a "go to" online FPS I guess.

Is it possible the brightness setting image is broken? When I first started the game, it told me to turn the brightness up until I could barely see the image, but I had to turn it all the way up, and then turn my TV brightness all the way up, and I could still barely see the image. This has never happened on any other game. Is it just my TV?

TheExodu5 said:
The checkpoint system is terrible. I'm at a part now where I've gone through 15 or so aliens, another 5 elite aliens, and one of the big guys with a shield, and I missed a few shots and died for it. I now need to restart the entire section. Yeah...

i prefer it the way it is. makes it more rewarding when you get passed it. i hate when games hold your hand the whole way through.

george_us

Yeah I suppose the environments aren't bigger than Halo: Reach's but they sure feel like it at times. The
Manhattan battle at night
was fucking epic.

Trent Strong said:
Is it possible the brightness setting image is broken? When I first started the game, it told me to turn the brightness up until I could barely see the image, but I had to turn it all the way up, and then turn my TV brightness all the way up, and I could still barely see the image. This has never happened on any other game. Is it just my TV?

are you playing on the PS3? if so do you have your PS3 set it on full RGB by mistake? if so, that is most definatly the problem and just change it to the proper setting (limited)

KingOfKong said:
are you playing on the PS3? if so do you have your PS3 set it on full RGB by mistake? if so, that is most definatly the problem and just change it to the proper setting (limited)

I'm playing on the PC. Maybe my TV just sucks. Oh well, the game still looks fine, doesn't seem too dark once I start plalying.

zlatko

Banned
Alextended said:
How are you playing it then? Just curious, if a friend lent it to (be4 finishing it himself would be weird) you then why consider buying it?

Unless you don't already have a "go to" online FPS I guess.

http://www.blockbuster.com/games/catalog/gameDetails/14255

I rented it. My go to multi games right now have been starcraft 2, halo reach, marvel vs capcom 3, and super street fighter 4. I am picking up Socom 4 next month guaranteed and my budget is a bit tight. I've liked my time with Socom way more than the beta time + retail time now with the multiplayer of Crysis 2. I'll give C2 more play time this week though to see if I want to have it replace my Reach play time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NotTarts said:
I felt in Reach that I didn't really get as much freedom as you do in Crysis 2.
I dunno, it's pretty close. There's definitely no stealth element in Reach, but the combat on the field is full of variety and allows for a wide variety of approaches.

Reach also has the edge in terms of enemy variety.

Crysis 2 just feels so good, though. Simply walking around through the world of Crysis 2 is a pleasure in a way that Reach can't match.

JB1981

dark10x said:
I dunno, it's pretty close. There's definitely no stealth element in Reach, but the combat on the field is full of variety and allows for a wide variety of approaches.

Crysis 2 just feels so good, though. Simply walking around through the world of Crysis 2 is a pleasure in a way that Reach can't match.

The game also takes a shit on the visuals of Reach.

Nekrono

KingOfKong said:
i prefer it the way it is. makes it more rewarding when you get passed it. i hate when games hold your hand the whole way through.

Not really, i rather have the quick save function and some actual challenge that makes me quick load over and over again because it's difficult than checkpoints in which you could randomly die and then being brought to the beginning, it's not rewarding and it's nothing but a cheap way of make the game 'hard'.

Talking about difficulty.... my god this game is super easy, i'm playing in super human or whatever the highest difficulty is and i have yet to come across any real challenge with both humans and aliens, very dissapointing i hope it picks up.

dark10x said:

Don't forget the excellent enemy AI in Reach, too. Really incredible stuff.

zlatko said:
Isn't this somewhat of a spoiler ?
Nope not really. In the first five minutes of the game the suit is already bossing your ass around and telling you what to do.
Nekrono said:
Talking about difficulty.... my god this game is super easy, i'm playing in super human or whatever the highest difficulty is and i have yet to come across any real challenge with both humans and aliens, very dissapointing i hope it picks up.
Yeah this game is pretty easy for the most part it seems.

G_Berry

Banned
I'm not loving the fact that it keeps forgetting what items I have unlocked over and over again.

Isn't that what the betas were for? Did nobody at Crytek play the MP and notice this shit?

SMH

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
zlatko said:
Isn't this somewhat of a spoiler ?
I don't think the plots are at all similar. But the way people talk to you--
Hargreave in particular
--it's just like...who wrote this? Did they think it was like deep?

dark10x

Don't forget the excellent enemy AI in Reach, too. Really incredible stuff.
Yeah, that is true. The AI in Reach is a cut above just about every other FPS on the market. Nothing I can think of comes close. Really great stuff.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Y2Kev said:
I don't think the plots are at all similar. But the way people talk to you--
Hargreave in particular
--it's just like...who wrote this? Did they think it was like deep?
Yes, the writer went on and on about how every other game had an awful story and said that this would be like a million times better.

They do tie things up with Crysis 1 along the way - but I never quit fully understood the role of Hargreave -
I understand basic stuff about him, but why did he self destruct the base? If he knew about the aliens all along, why didn't he say anything, why is he laughing like if he was the bad guy when you confront him?

ALSO! When he wants you to pick up the syringe he does some CREEPY face on the screen. When he's not telling you to do it, there's a face of him with a small grin that is just downright creepy. Oh my god I hate that Crytek's facial animation is so good.

Nekrono

dark10x said:
Yeah, that is true. The AI in Reach is a cut above just about every other FPS on the market. Nothing I can think of comes close. Really great stuff.

I have yet to play Reach, is it better than the AI of F.E.A.R ?

It still holds the best AI in a game or rather a FPS for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Honestly tying the story into C1 felt so forced and only hurt the story further. That and making the suit so important was my other big beef. It just felt fucking stupid.

dark10x

Nekrono said:
I have yet to play Reach, is it better than the AI of F.E.A.R ?

It still holds the best AI in a game or rather a FPS for me.
Yeah, it's a lot better than FEAR. FEAR had some nice AI, but it still did a lot of random stuff that didn't make sense (they loved diving under tables whenever possible and it often seemed silly). The way the AI in Halo reacts is just really satisfying overall. It's aggressive, but in a realistic fashion. They move around all over, flank you, work in groups, retreat when necessary, and generally just create an interesting series of encounters. It's very rare in the genre these days, unfortunately.

Most games these days tend to use Call of Duty-like encounters with enemies simply taking cover but Halo still features battles out in the open which results in a lot of unique scenarios. As much as I love the Crysis games, the AI is a huge step below the Halo games (especially Reach).

Stallion Free said:
Honestly tying the story into C1 felt so forced and only hurt the story further. That and making the suit so important was my other big beef. It just felt fucking stupid.
Pretending to continue the story of Crysis was a huge mistake. Because lets be honest the story of Crysis is about Nomad and Psycho not Prophet. So yeah might as well be something completely different.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lostconfused said:
Pretending to continue the story of Crysis was a huge mistake. Because lets be honest the story of Crysis is about Nomad and Psycho not Prophet. So yeah might as well be something completely different.
Exactly. And the fact that they don't even name drop them is the most offensive part. Those were dudes who weren't gonna die like a pair of bitches.

Just finished my Veteran playthrough, and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Crysis 2 is right up there with HL2: Episode 2 and Halo CE/Reach as one of my favorite shooter campaigns. I love how the scope and intensity of the combat is continually escalating, from the small initial skirmishes with the CELL forces, the gradual advance of the Ceph, to the climactic nighttime battles alongside the Marines. Now bring on Superhuman.

zlatko

Banned
dark10x said:
Yeah, it's a lot better than FEAR. FEAR had some nice AI, but it still did a lot of random stuff that didn't make sense (they loved diving under tables whenever possible and it often seemed silly). The way the AI in Halo reacts is just really satisfying overall. It's aggressive, but in a realistic fashion. They move around all over, flank you, work in groups, retreat when necessary, and generally just create an interesting series of encounters. It's very rare in the genre these days, unfortunately.

Most games these days tend to use Call of Duty-like encounters with enemies simply taking cover but Halo still features battles out in the open which results in a lot of unique scenarios. As much as I love the Crysis games, the AI is a huge step below the Halo games (especially Reach).

I think you are giving way too much credit to Reach A.I.

They are just bullet sponges on Elites who rarely miss. Grunts are morons who walk out into the open asking for you to head shot them. Enemies in Reach barely challenge the player in anyway. I felt the Helghast in Killzone 2 and 3 did a much better job of making you think and trying to react to how you were playing. Reach was a shooting gallery. :/

dark10x

Lostconfused said:
Agreed. I actually enjoyed the story of Crysis in that it was a simple tale that effectively drew the player in. The simplicity worked simply because the visuals and scenario design were able to sell me on everything. The way they revealed the aliens to the player was highly memorable. It just worked and was fun to play through.

Nekrono

Lostconfused said:

OR...

Continue as Nomad (or Pshyco but Nomad would make more sense) as they head back into the jungle to help Prophet sorta like a prologue and then move into the city with the invasion.

Man that would have been so awesome and it probably would have made more people happy, although i feel it could have backfired and turned out like MSG2 and the Tanker lol.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think Crysis' story actually worked kinda well because of how simple it was. It was classic (generic) sci-fi. Dumb and simple, but inoffensive. Here they just tried too hard. I loved the game, but damn did I hate this story.

Nekrono said:
Continue as Nomad (or Pshyco but Nomad would make more sense) as they head back into the jungle to help Prophet sorta like a prologue and then move into the city with the invasion.
Well plot wise the aliens on the island got their shit wrecked, I think. So hey maybe we will get an expansion like warhead where it goes back to the island and focuses on our favorite duo.
Stallion Free said:
I think Crysis' story actually worked kinda well because of how simple it was. It was classic (generic) sci-fi. Dumb and simple, but inoffensive. Here they just tried too hard. I loved the game, but damn did I hate this story.
Agreed.

Lostconfused said:
Nope not really. In the first five minutes of the game the suit is already bossing your ass around and telling you what to do.

The suit reading your mission objectives aloud is a bit of a skip to "oh my god the suit is taking over" or whatever the fuck you guys are telling me happens in the story, and that is a spoiler.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The suit reading your mission objectives aloud is a bit of a skip to "oh my god the suit is taking over" or whatever the fuck you guys are telling me happens in the story, and that is a spoiler.
The suit stops you in your tracks and forces you to look at specific things or do something or whatever. Its already taken over minute one, you are just there for the ride.

Nekrono

Lostconfused said:
Well plot wise the aliens on the island got their shit wrecked, I think. So hey maybe we will get an expansion like warhead where it goes back to the island and focuses on our favorite duo.

If that ever happens i'll be the first one to pre-order and Crytek will redeem themselves (for me at least).

TheExodu5

Banned
dark10x said:

As much as I am not a fan of Halo, I have to agree here. The AI in Reach is pretty fantastic.

strata8

Nekrono said:
OR...

Man that would have been so awesome and it probably would have made more people happy, although i feel it could have backfired and turned out like MSG2 and the Tanker lol.
The only issue with that is disc space limitations, really. Would be almost impossible to fit the jungle/island + city assets on the same disk. I'm actually pretty impressed Bungie managed so much variation in Reach, considering they only had 6GB to work with.

Prine

Banned
I can't believe I almost missed out on this. My word the single player has been great, I'm about to start the third mission, its a lot like metriod prime design wise and halo gunplay. The dynamism the game offers is refreshing anything that abandons CODs design is an insta buy from me (singleplayer). Sandbox situatuations are fun, the greatest compliment I can award a game. If its fun no matter how bad the design is it'll keep me coming back.

Reach is the only game that stands as a masterpiece for me so far this Gen (fps). Crysis 2 is off to a magnificent start. I had no idea Crytek were this good.

Lostconfused said:
The suit stops you in your tracks and forces you to look at specific things or do something or whatever. Its already taken over minute one, you are just there for the ride.

Isn't this kind of like saying "You do everything Atlas says and whenever he gives you an order you go into a cutscene thing, therefore it's not a spoiler that you're being controlled by him"? Being forced to look at objectives is something that happens in all sorts of games, there's no special reason why I should think the suit is making me do it as part of the plot of the game. C'mon son.

pj

Banned
The AI in crysis 2 is pretty terrible. Whenever one of them says "throwing frag," it essentially means one less enemy for me to fight because they ALWAYS blow themselves up.

Nekrono

NotTarts said:
The only issue with that is disc space limitations, really. Would be almost impossible to fit the jungle/island + city assets on the same disk. I'm actually pretty impressed Bungie managed so much variation in Reach, considering they only had 6GB to work with.

I wouldn't mind going back to the more than 1 disc era for a better quality game :p. Well worth it imo.

pj said:
The AI in crysis 2 is pretty terrible. Whenever one of them says "throwing frag," it essentially means one less enemy for me to fight because they ALWAYS blow themselves up.

It's definitely not awful and it could be worst but yes, the AI is pretty bad, and when that happens to me it's actually 2 less enemies for me lol, it's so retarded and has happened pretty often. I hope Crytek teaches them to look before they throw a grenade out for Crysis 3.

Trickster

I'm currently downloading the game from steam. Just want to know which setting from the tweak guide in the OP is the one the affect the vaseline filter I'm hearing a lot about, kinda want that turned off if possible.

Top Bottom