• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

SpudBud

ENDING SPOILERS

Wait, Prophet and Alcatraz are basically one person now? The way they tied the story into the first felt a bit forced

What the fuck happened to Psycho and Nomad?

Zomba13

Stallion Free said:
Exactly. And the fact that they don't even name drop them is the most offensive part. Those were dudes who weren't gonna die like a pair of bitches.
So we don't find out what happened to Psycho and Nomad?

scitek

I'm thinking those two were left out so we have either an expansion to play for 2, or a follow-up for Crysis 3. Kinda like how Resident Evil 2 didn't directly mention what happened to the gang from RE1, but we got back to them eventually.

Guys the story for Crysis was awful, and the characterization was even worse. These cries for Nomad and Psycho are bizarre, especially Nomad who had no personality whatsoever. And the only memorable thing about Psycho was his accent. None of the characters even had a basic back story. We knew barely anything at all about them. Nothing about the aliens was explained, either. Calling Crysis' plot paper-thin would be a disservice to paper. I just finished a playthrough over the past month so it's very fresh in my mind. There's a reason why Crytek basically started from scratch and it's a sound one.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Heavy said:
Guys the story for Crysis was awful, and the characterization was even worse. These cries for Nomad and Psycho are bizarre, especially Nomad who had no personality whatsoever. And the only memorable thing about Psycho was his accent. None of the characters even had a basic back story. We knew barely anything at all about them. Nothing about the aliens was explained, either. Calling Crysis' plot paper-thin would be a disservice to paper. I just finished a playthrough over the past month so it's very fresh in my mind. There's a reason why Crytek basically started from scratch and it's a sound one.
I think Crysis is a pretty cool guy. eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Psycho was Jason Statham which is automatically fuck-awesome.

I was Nomad for Crysis 1 and the fact that I played him automatically makes him fuck-awesome. Also, his voice was pretty cool.

Also the lack of story just worked. Taking it in the opposite direction was a terrible idea.

Dreohboy

Heavy said:

Agreed.

I'll also admit that the aliens were my favorite part of the first Crysis. Until I got to them, I could care less about killing a bunch of North Koreans screaming "Die YANKEE blah blah, blah blah!"

Stallion Free said:
Psycho was Jason Statham which is automatically fuck-awesome.
...but we knew nothing at all about him. Only thing memorable was the accent.

Also the lack of story just worked.
lol what?

Seriously this is a deadly case of nostalgia at work. The story and characters were dreadful.

They even made a game for him. Warhead. What the Hell, Crytek.

Worse. Definitely worse.
Something is better than nothing. I don't see how it could be worse. We got to know more about the aliens, they got into some cool shit about symbiosis and whatnot, then the virus.

Crysis had no plot whatsoever.

Zomba13

Heavy said:
That's partly why I'm disappointed. I was hoping a sequel would build on the characters, even if you don't play as them I was hoping we'd learn more about them and the team that went into Crysis 1. Also, Sucks huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amounts of balls that Prophet
offs himself right at the fucking start >:mad:
. (That's only a spoiler if you've played less than 5 mins of Crysis 2)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I agree that Crysis' simplicity was it's best trait. The most compelling thing about it was it's pacing and buildup. You knew that shit was going down and it would only get worse, and you wanted to see it unfold. Going from a special forces guerrilla recon mission to hooking up with a full scale marine invasion while being picked off one by one by aliens, and the constant tremors really gives the conflict a sense of scale, capped off by the reveal and a desperate scramble as everyone tries to get the hell off the island.

Stallion Free said:
I was Nomad for Crysis 1 and the fact that I played him automatically makes him fuck-awesome. Also, his voice was pretty cool.
This too. People may think playing a mute is more immersive, but like I said a while back, Nomad had a great cocksure voice that was fun to listen to. He sounds like the kind of guy I'd want to hang out and have a drink with. :)

And yeah, they never mentioned Nomad and Psycho in the game, but they didn't say they died either.
From the flashbacks I gathered that Prophet fell into some kind of underground network on the island and eventually found himself in New York, so N+P never found him.

edit: my biggest question still regards the aliens themselves and why exactly they're so different. Everyone mentions the color change, but what about the whole power sucking thing or the ability to flash freeze a 10 mile radius?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Heavy said:

lol what?

Seriously this is a deadly case of nostalgia at work. The story and characters were dreadful.
I don't need to know anything about him to know that he's badass.

Also, games don't need story stuff to be fun. Crysis was like okay Korea is checking out this island go investigate and rescue some people OH SHIT aliens get the fuck off this island. That's all it needs to be.

vazel

Banned
Heavy said:

lol what?

Something is better than nothing. I don't see how it could be worse. We got to know more about the aliens, they got into some cool shit about symbiosis and whatnot, then the virus.

Crysis had no plot whatsoever.
No it's not! Give me back my videogames without all the scripted set pieces story crap! And while you're at it give me back score counters too!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Stallion Free said:
Also, games don't need story stuff to be fun. Crysis was like okay Korea is checking out this island go investigate and rescue some people OH SHIT aliens get the fuck off this island. That's all it needs to be.
Man you described the plot so much better than I did. :p

Ysiadmihi said:
I'm not sure why someone would be surprised that a lack of story is beneficial to some games. You seem determined to defend every single aspect of this game.
...and others are determined to criticize every aspect about it. I'm serious about the plot, though. Crysis 2's plot is weak but the nostalgic call backs asking for Nomad and Psycho just seem weird considering they were characters with no personality or back story, at all. Nothing about the aliens was explained in the original, either. They just showed up. Barely got any detail about the Koreans as well. This is pure nostalgia at work.

I dunno, I love having a story in games. I can't even play a platformer anymore because I find it pointless. I tried playing the new Donkey Kong Wii game over a girlfriend's house last week and couldn't even be bothered to finish the second level. I need a plot... some semblance of presentation and back story, even if it's bad. Maybe I'm in the minority...

vazel said:
No it's not! Give me back my videogames without all the scripted set pieces story crap! And while you're at it give me back score counters too!
Yeah, that's what I mean. I've come to be the complete opposite of that as I've gotten older, I dunno why exactly.

Dreohboy

pj said:
The AI in crysis 2 is pretty terrible. Whenever one of them says "throwing frag," it essentially means one less enemy for me to fight because they ALWAYS blow themselves up.

Ha Ha....love the game, but this is sooooo true.

Dude in the "Dead Man Walking" chapter tried to lob a grenade at me. He was on the top of one building, I was on top of another. Grenade didn't make it half way to my building. LOL.

vazel said:
Sounds like some one needs more Vanquish in their life.

Edit: Speaking of which. I am pretty sure I liked the story in Vanquish more than the one in Crysis 2.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Heavy said:
...and others are determined to criticize every aspect about it. I'm serious about the plot, though. Crysis 2's plot is weak but the nostalgic call backs asking for Nomad and Psycho just seem weird considering they were characters with no personality or back story, at all. Nothing about the aliens was explained in the original, either. They just showed up. Barely got any detail about the Koreans as well. This is pure nostalgia at work.

People want Nomad and Psycho back because they are light years more interesting than Alcatraz is.

Heavy said:
I dunno, I love having a story in games. I can't even play a platformer anymore because I find it pointless. I tried playing the new Donkey Kong Wii game over a girlfriend's house last week and couldn't even be bothered to finish the second level.

Oh you weren't serious. Never mind then.

kamspy

The Nova 12 is the best pistol in the history of FPS. I glossed over it in favor of machine guns in my first run, but in my second I've been going almost Nova only. If you haven't tried it, do so. On humans. It's nothing special against the aliens. But against humans it's the greatest virtual firearm ever fired. you can even get a few silenced shots off without breaking cloak!

jett

D-Member
Y2Kev said:
The story of the game is like the end of MGS2 with the Colonel except for the whole game.

You're giving this game's plot too much credit.

Story was just lame, boring, completely uninteresting and very poorly presented. Some really awful level transitions too, sometimes it seemed like the game skipped a level. Anyways, I finished it. It's a really pretty game with some cool set pieces, unfortunately it kind of lacks a bit of variety there. I don't know if I care to play it again. Certainly don't care about MP. :p

Took a round of pictures from each graphic mode, just for the heck of it. Which is which? Who fucking knows they look virtually the same.

BUwH8.jpg

DcNV3.jpg

vqmOi.jpg

Really impressive for consoles if they manage to look just like High, too bad it's sub-HD. I find that Crysis 2 looks really nice in 720p with its custom AA, any other game would look like a horrible jaggiefest without MSAA.

The PC Master Race will have to wait until next generation to see what CryEngine3 is really capable of. :p

Going off-topic here but a few FPS plots I thought were well done:

* Bioshock (one of the best video game plots and setting's ever, imo)
* HL series (not exactly the most fleshed out plot but it's told so effectively)
* For some reason I remember everything that happened in Modern Warfare one, proof that insane plots can work lol
* Can't recall anything else. Roger Ebert was right

I've heard Bulletstorm has a cheesy but pretty interesting plot.

Ysiadmihi said:
People want Nomad and Psycho back because they are light years more interesting than Alcatraz is.
Agreed, Alcatraz is awful. The overall plot is better, though.

Oh you weren't serious. Never mind then.
I am. I just don't game on consoles. Haven't bought a platformer in years.

scitek

Ysiadmihi said:

Well, those who have beaten C2 know
they won't have to worry about Alcatraz anymore. It seems Crytek agreed so much they brought back Prophet.

Zomba13

luka said:
edit: my biggest question still regards the aliens themselves and why exactly they're so different. Everyone mentions the color change, but what about the whole power sucking thing or the ability to flash freeze a 10 mile radius?
That's what I want to know too. I'm halfway through Dead Man Walking so I've fought some aliens. They were muuuuch cooler (lol) when they could freeze shit and were glowing blue and were big flying squids with cool giant mech tank things. Also, what's up with infecting people? Can't they be happy just flash freezing the world flying around with super cool squid suits?

jett said:
Some really awful level transitions too, sometimes it seemed like the game skipped a level.
I know. One of the levels has you going into a tunnel by the church and I saw a stealthed alien in there that ran off so I assumed there would be an underground tunnel level that had these stealthed aliens in it stalking you or something but nope, next level starts on top of a building.

vazel said:
Haha I've never seen someone so intent on defending every aspect of a game before with such passive fanaticism. At least it's civil.
Thank you, I think, lol. :p Don't work for Crytek or anything, I really love the game and they're my favorite current developer by far.

luka said:
Is this a joke or are you just referring to the idea of Alcatraz as a mute protagonist?
I haven't beat the game yet so I don't know what you're referring to. Yes I would've liked for him to have some dialogue.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Heavy said:
I haven't beat the game yet so I don't know what you're referring to. Yes I would've liked for him to have some dialogue.
I just find it funny how you could find someone who is a literal empty vessel with no dialogue to be an "awful character" when he's not a character to begin with.

luka said:
literal empty vessel with no dialogue
That's a pretty good description of a weak protagonist if I've ever heard one. At least we could relate with Gordon.

So far for me, Hargreave is the most interesting character. Love his voice actor and writing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What I couldn't figure out is what was motivating Alacatraz the whole time. I would have peaced the fuck out if I was wearing that suit.

Also, the difference between graphic settings is so obvious when actually playing the game.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Stallion Free said:
What I couldn't figure out is what was motivating Alacatraz the whole time. I would have peaced the fuck out if I was wearing that suit.
Prophet was motivating him. Hell he was basically a corpse with no will from the beginning.
At least, that's what I gathered from the ending. Yes, it's pretty fucking stupid.

Heavy said:
That's a pretty good description of a weak protagonist if I've ever heard one. At least we could relate with Gordon.
What I mean is that he's not an actual character at all, "Alcatraz" is just something for the NPCs to call you when they want you to do some shit.

Peterthumpa

Interesting thing that I've noticed... was tweaking the settings to find better performance outdoors for my 5870, and I was still getting some drops to around the 40s. Tried changing the resolution now to 1366x768 from 1600x900 and the game is running butter smooth and the best of all... strangely enough, the AA method from the Extreme setting seems so good that the lower resolution is not really so different.

Loving the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Heavy said:
Finish the game then I'll explain why it makes a lot of sense for him to not have any dialogue.

Explanation here:
It's established earlier on that Alcatraz was essentially dead. I'm pretty sure Alcatraz's body was just a catalyst to complete the suit while Prophet's consciousness controlled his actions through it's implant into the suit. The combination with the main spire at the end allowed him to completely fuse Alcatraz's body with the suit and actually be able to speak through him since it was completely part of the suit's systems at that point.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
felipepl said:
Interesting thing that I've noticed... was tweaking the settings to find better performance outdoors for my 5870, and I was still getting some drops to around the 40s. Tried changing the resolution now to 1366x768 from 1600x900 and the game is running butter smooth and the best of all... strangely enough, the AA method from the Extreme setting seems so good that the lower resolution is not really so different.

Loving the game.
Indeed, if there is one thing the built-in AA is good for, it's making the game look GREAT at 1366x768 on my 1080p monitor.

Heavy said:

can you please stop trying to sound like an authority on everything crysis? it's really annoying. people, a lot of people, liked psycho and nomad for a reason. deal with it.

scitek

Heavy said:

I wonder if Brits say that about Nomad.

scitek said:
I wonder if Brits say that about Nomad.

I always felt nomad seemed cool and precise and just a professional soldier thrown into an extraordinary situation which he handled well. Psycho was just Jason Statham basically.

Played MP for the first time tonight (since sucking it up on the demo) and didn't fare too badly. Love the game, so far. SP is hot, too. The game looks great on the 360.

Top Bottom