• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
subversus said:
Ugh thanks for getting my hopes up for an official tool release, as if modding communities that rely on hacks rather than official tools and mod support (even if supplemented by homebrew utilities) are ever as thriving as those that don't have to do that...

Oh well, I suppose turning the multiplayer maps and other areas into arenas with waves of enemies/bosses is simple enough so I may get at least that even like this...

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MickeyKnox said:
It won't ship with any of the Crysis 2 assets, and unless they reverse their position on the editing the game then any mod for Crysis 2 will be considered a violation of the EULA.

if you can extract them why do you need them to ship assets? I don't know to what extent the content can be extracted though....

EULA is a different matter... Does it affect non-US residents?

~Kinggi~

Banned
SneakyStephan said:
Wait what?
No new cryeditor and mod tools? You have to be joking, you are joking, right?
Those mod tools take some serious development skill to put together. Most in-house dev tools are full of bugs and weird things devs have to work around in order to get the job done. To prep that shit for mass market takes a lot of time.

So its not really surprising it isnt out. They had their hands full with the main game im sure.

Still sucks we dont have one though.

subversus

~Kinggi~ said:
Those mod tools take some serious development skill to put together. Most in-house dev tools are full of bugs and weird things devs have to work around in order to get the job done. To prep that shit for mass market takes a lot of time.

So its not really surprising it isnt out. They had their hands full with the main game im sure.

I don't think that Sandbox editor isn't ready for release. It is, it's just their stance on modding of their games has changed.

Still I'd take free Cryengine 3 over any mod tools they can offer.

I think I'm nearing the end and I have to say that once this game gets going...It's the earth invasion game that I envisioned for Halo 2 as far as atmosphere. Crytek really nailed the cool urban fighting scenarios and the invasion feel. Once the game gets going. The first several hours of the game feel completely different and almost as if they were thrown in for length's sake.

That said, I have no idea what is going on with the story. Whatsoever. I've been trying to pay close attention but I have no clue what's going on.

Dennis

Banned
This is Crysis 2 with 4xMSAA. You be the judge of whether it looks blurry or not.

This is the orignal 2560x1600 screenshot. Nothing has been altered in any way except converted to JPG.

This is literally what I see when I play with the game with 4xMSAA. It looks different without MSAA. The point beng whether the MSAA adds to much blur.

Alexios

I'd prefer both. Crysis 2 has a fun gameplay and setting, would be great to see what fans can do with that. It's not like releasing the engine means you'll see indies re-create Crysis fun with their own stuff on top, that sort of thing would take loads of work... Will be nice to see what indies games come out of it but it's not like there's a shortage of engines available to them already and using CryEngine 3 over something like UE3 (if the terms are similar enough) probably won't affect how their unique game turns out.
Sethos said:
Sandbox 3 was in the leaked build and was working
Ugh, release that shit Crytek and add a "mods" menu in the options...

~Kinggi~ said:

So its not really surprising it isnt out
. They had their hands full with the main game im sure.

WTF are you talking about, the editor was already in the leaked beta, the lack of community mod support is attributable to one very simple thing:

crysis2-2011-03-26-19-8pdf.jpg

Alexios

Right, no wonder the game is so barebones, and they haven't fixed it... Gotta work on that DLC release schedule and decide how to cut all the already finished content...

Sh1ner

subversus said:
I don't think that Sandbox editor isn't ready for release. It is, it's just their stance on modding of their games has changed.

Still I'd take free Cryengine 3 over any mod tools they can offer.
ffs the main reason I bought the game was for the editor.
My fault I saw crytek fuck a stranger in the ass with dx11 and thought they wouldn't do that with me and the mod tools. Crytek are in my shit list as a dev but it doesn't matter as they already have my money, FUCK.

subversus

MickeyKnox said:
WTF are you talking about, the editor was already in the leaked beta, the lack of community mod support is attributable to one very simple thing:

damn. I forgot about this...

it doesn't look stupid anymore. It looks like a dick move now.

Also see DA2 lack of tools.

subversus

Sh1ner said:
ffs the main reason I bought the game was for the editor.
My fault I saw crytek fuck a stranger in the ass with dx11 and thought they wouldn't do that with me and the mod tools. Crytek are in my shit list as a dev but it doesn't matter as they already have my money, FUCK.

I don't know, if you've planned on modding Crysis then yeah, I feel your pain. But if you wanted to use editor for stand-alone mods you just have to wait.

Still Sandbox 2 is an awesome tool. You can create a Crysis level from a scratch in half an hour and have fun with it... Just imagine what modders could do with city environments.

Mrbob

I think I'm reaching the final 1/4 of the game right now this campaign is awesome. Turn your brain away form comparing this to Crysis and it is a fantastic game. I'm having so much fun toying with my enemies.

Yes it is smaller than Crysis, but I do get a sense of this being an urban jungle. One of the few games I've played the art has made me really feel like I'm walking through an area of destruction.

aeolist said:
Really considering waiting for a mod that turns off the tactical options in the visor, gets rid of the suit voice entirely, and makes ADS/strength jumping feel a lot snappier before I play anymore.

You don't have to use it. I haven't turned on the visor once the entire game. Makes it a lot more fun scouting the area yourself.

Mrbob

Gvaz said:
Then it shouldn't be called Crysis.

Disagree. It still has all the Crysis hooks in the game. Just isn't as open. The later you get into the game there is an extra layer of being vertical.

Crysis is one of my favorite single player fps campaigns alongside Half Life 2 and Halo. I haven't finished Crysis 2 yet but it might go up in my top 5 alongside these other games. I like Crysis 2 in a different way than Crysis. The original game I played more tactical. Crysis 2 being less open I play a little more action. I'm also having more fun fighting the Ceph in Crysis 2. Also the set pieces in the game are really well done.

aeolist

Banned
Mrbob said:
I think I'm reaching the final 1/4 of the game right now this campaign is awesome. Turn your brain away form comparing this to Crysis and it is a fantastic game. I'm having so much fun toying with my enemies.

Yes it is smaller than Crysis, but I do get a sense of this being an urban jungle. One of the few games I've played the art has made me really feel like I'm walking through an area of destruction.

You don't have to use it. I haven't turned on the visor once the entire game. Makes it a lot more fun scouting the area yourself.
I like marking enemies, that was in Crysis 1 and it was useful.

I guess the levels are small enough that it doesn't really matter though.

highrider

Banned
i've finally gotten a chance to get some real time to play. i guess i'm about half way through the ps3 version. i was already enjoying the more pedestrian early levels as this is the first time i've experienced crysis gameplay, but the alien levels are right up my alley. i'm loving the game in terms of sheer controls. it just plays great.

mastering the slide, air stomp and judicious use of armor opens up a more run & gun option to balance the stealth style of play. an earlier poster lamented that he had all but given up on a great singleplayer fps on consoles, and it is great to see the attempt being made in crysis 2. i've seen the occasional frame drop and glitch, but it hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the game. the ps3 version looks great to me. it's as impressive visually as some of the big exclusive and multiplatform games of this gen, no doubts there.

i urge anybody on the fence to pick this up if you like fps games. reach and killzone 3 were really solid singleplayer games ( reach in particular i thought did well as a singleplayer game ) but i'm enjoying this a little more. it reminds me of arkham asylum as a guided/semi-linear game with a sense of choice and control of the encounters. it works exceptionally well in new york with the alcatraz dude. i can't stress enough how much they nailed the controls and feel of the first person movement.

Blizzard

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
It won't ship with any of the Crysis 2 assets, and unless they reverse their position on the editing the game then any mod for Crysis 2 will be considered a violation of the EULA.
Has there been any official word (such as from community representatives) saying that modding violates the EULA? Are there forum/website links? If they actually do updates but sell it as paid DLC then that will be sad indeed, and I will have been wrong in expecting an editor to be released besides the free one.

jett

D-Member
Man, the night-time levels look spectacular. Really awesome level/skirmish design, that fight with the metal gear mech in the rain delivered in the way I thought MGS4 would. :p Definitely one of the best looking games on the market.

george_us

I'm on the final level right now.

This game.

This fucking game.

Bugs and boring first few hours be damned, this is the best and most ambitious FPS campaign I've played in years.

nib95

Banned
george_us said:

This game.

This fucking game.

Bugs and boring first few hours be damned, this is the best and most ambitious FPS campaign I've played in years.

Really?....care to elaborate?

~Kinggi~

Banned
george_us said:

This game.

This fucking game.

Looking forward to this. Im on level 9 myself.

george_us

nib95 said:
Really?....care to elaborate?
Well you can change that to "console FPS campaign" if you like.:lol:

I did play the original Crysis but didn't (and still don't since I'm not really a PC gamer) have a PC capable of running it at even the lowest settings. My experience is limited to primarily console FPSes.

derFeef

DennisK4 said:
4xMSAA, 2560x1600.
Does anybody else have flickering problems with 4xMSAA? I have an ATI card.

I only experience flickering when using this config tool (or the autoexec). forcing through radeon pro works fine. (OCed 5850 here)

Truant

I'm experiencing flickering during night-time levels, especially near bright light sources like the halogen laps and such. It's weird, because the flickering is only seen if I'm standing further away from the light source. If I move right up to it, the flickering stops.

Could be an LoD issue?

mxgt

Banned
What's up with the armour modules you unlock in multiplayer not staying unlocked after you quit the game?

having to re unlock them every time I start it up is really annoying

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Y2Kev said:
I need non-vaselinovision. That looks awesome.

I think I need to start a new organization. GAT. Gamers against temporal AA. We will start by purchasing those leftover GATT logos.
I'll join in this crusade. I would rather have no AA than TAA. The ghosting is fucking horrible.

TheExodu5

Banned
Truant said:
I'm experiencing flickering during night-time levels, especially near bright light sources like the halogen laps and such. It's weird, because the flickering is only seen if I'm standing further away from the light source. If I move right up to it, the flickering stops.

Could be an LoD issue?

You running SLI/Crossfire?

Dennis

Banned
Sethos said:
The 6870 isn't a CF card, is it? The flickering is mainly an SLI / CF issue, apparently.
Yup. I can confirm this. Turning off CrossFire fixed the flickering problem. Now I can play with 4xMSAA.....except I am now using only GPU and the fps is getting to low for even me.....

But people with 6970 or something may well be able to use 4xMSAA and still get great frames. Looks stunning.

derFeef

DennisK4 said:
Yup. I can confirm this. Turning off CrossFire fixed the flickering problem. Now I can play with 4xMSAA.....except I am now using only GPU and the fps is getting to low for even me.....

But people with 6970 or something may well be able to use 4xMSAA and still get great frames. Looks stunning.
Weird that I got flickering on a single card then, like I posted above. And yep, getting a 6970 next week I hope!

Jealous about your resolution though. Speaking of resolution - trying to run 1920x1080 does not work - it still sets the game to 1920x1200. I tried tweaking the GPU scaling options in CCC but nothing helps so far.

pakkit

Banned
I might just be in love with this game. The level where you're tasked with
setting charges in a building while being flanked and attacked by squids the WHOLE TIME
is the best gameplay moment I've had in 2011. The night flares...the constant whirr of bullets...and DAT SUIT. Although, the braindead marines are pretty annoying. The visuals are really impressive for a multiconsole game, and the fact that there is even a discussion on whether it rivals KZ2 and other top dogs is proof enough of that. The AI faults are what really hurt this game, but once you upgrade your suit and get your bearings it just feels good to slide up on a mofo unload a shotgun round in his head and then pop into armor mode and finish off his friends. When Crysis 2 finds that balance between linear eyecandy and virtual playground, it's hard to hate on.

My tip is make your first upgrade for your suit the one that recharges your Nano Suit quicker. It's immensely helpful and makes the game faster paced. Badassssssss.

strata8

ViralMarketingDrone said:
Judging from the screenshots the game looks not nearly as good and polished as the first part. Especially the vegetation seems off.
What happened there?
Because Crysis 1 = copy+paste most of the time. Not complaining or anything, but it was so much easier for them than Crysis 2 was.

It's weird, though, Crytek seem to be ignoring the admins at CryMod. No one has any idea what's going on and what is/isn't allowed.

StuBurns

Banned
Alextended said:
It also seemed like some levels are missing to me. Like when you get on a convoy and control the vehicle's machinegun, you expect a rail shooter sequence to follow but the level just ends and the next one is after the convoy arrived wherever so you're on foot. Disjointed/misplaced stuff like that.
I'm replaying at the moment and I've noticed another one too, after the wall street bit you end by going into a cellar following a cloaking alien with the white eyes, and it seems like you should be doing some underground hunt, but it picks back up outside in the light and the alien isn't there.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
DennisK4 said:
This is Crysis 2 with 4xMSAA. You be the judge of whether it looks blurry or not.

This is the orignal 2560x1600 screenshot. Nothing has been altered in any way except converted to JPG.

This is literally what I see when I play with the game with 4xMSAA. It looks different without MSAA. The point beng whether the MSAA adds to much blur.

http://www.abload.de/img/crysis22011-03-2700-06moz2.jpg[img][/url][/QUOTE]
I can see the blur but it's not as noticeable as the aliasing when it's downsampled. You might want to keep it for the art shots.

pakkit

Banned
StuBurns said:
I'm replaying at the moment and I've noticed another one too, after the wall street bit you end by going into a cellar following a cloaking alien with the white eyes, and it seems like you should be doing some underground hunt, but it picks back up outside in the light and the alien isn't there.
It definitely seems to be built level to level instead of as a cohesive campaign.

See: the story, the beginning and ends of missions.

Although
don't you see that same alien when you're in the fiery library
? I tried shooting him to oblivion and ended up wasting a clip.

Mrbob

StuBurns said:

Yeah it is really my biggest complaint of the game. There are some awkward transitions from one area to the next at times. Almost like there is supposed to be something in between but it got cut.

george_us

pakkit said:
The visuals are really impressive for a multiconsole game, and the fact that there is even a discussion on whether it rivals KZ2 and other top dogs is proof enough of that.
I honestly think this is the best looking console game on the market. Even if the game was strictly linear hallways with occasional open areas, it would rival the likes of Killzone 3. The fact that it has those visuals while taking place in spaces that are far larger than something like Halo: Reach is impressive as fuck. If Crytek could of cleaned up the texture pop-in and framerate then I'd consider this game an act of God as far as visuals go.

Just unboxed my Nano edition - the build quality on the statue is crappy :/

Everything else is awesome though, even if i'll never use the bag. £55 well spent.

george_us said:
I honestly think this is the best looking console game on the market. Even if the game was strictly linear hallways with occasional open areas, it would rival the likes of Killzone 3. The fact that it has those visuals while taking place in spaces that are far larger than something like Halo: Reach is impressive as fuck. If Crytek could of cleaned up the texture pop-in and framerate then I'd consider this game an act of God as far as visuals go.
???

You think? Halo Reach had some pretty huge areas.

TheExodu5

Banned
The checkpoint system is terrible. I'm at a part now where I've gone through 15 or so aliens, another 5 elite aliens, and one of the big guys with a shield, and I missed a few shots and died for it. I now need to restart the entire section. Yeah...

Top Bottom